Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Worrying to see myself with the least amount ran at the highest pace... I should really heed the advice to run slow![/QUOTE]

Yes, yes you should, have a read of Nop's excellent post above ^^^^^ lots of lessons to be learned there everyone, a big thanks to SausageDogDave for being so honest.

edit, murphD beat me to it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Worrying to see myself with the least amount ran at the highest pace... I should really heed the advice to run slow!

Definitely. I'm not holding myself up as a shining example here, but I'm training as I was last year. I've the 3rd highest mileage this week, and I'm the 3rd slowest overall. I'm aiming for a 10:00/min marathon, and my runs will never be near that. I'm always within the 30 seconds to 60 seconds slower range. I'm always getting slagged saying I'm running slowly, but I'm doing different types of training to those people, who would beat me in a 5k, but wouldn't be able to match me for endurance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

"Slow" is of course relative. Think of it as running at the "right" pace for the type of run you're supposed to be doing, if "slow" doesn't do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Murph_D wrote: »
    Yes you should. Unless you want to be the first one to prove the rule yet again. It happens every year. :p.

Was me last year. First in, first out.

Still struggling to SLOW DOWN!

A very good friend of mine did DCM in 2014 for the first (and probably last) time. I did a few training runs and races with him, but he couldn't get his head around the pace, kept trying to just go further and further at his MP. Didn't matter what advice I gave him, he just "knew" that this was the right strategy for him. He did the Race Series, getting more reinforcement from being able to race further and further at this marathon pace. By the time of DCM he was saying 4 hours but thinking 3:45. I suggested the 4 hour pacers (Wave 2) but he insisted on going it alone and all went well at first, going through halfway in 1:55 or so. All well until the 30k checkpoint, then boom, it took him nearly 90 mins to cover the final 7 miles. He hasn't raced since. Don't let this be you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Just to second what Nop98 said about not running with a watch, I'll every so often run with one but cover it so I can't see how I am doing. If nothing else it forces you to just run for the joy of running, it took a lot of disciple not to check it at all but makes for a very enjoyable run and is well worth doing.

Everyone hung else in Nop98's post also made sense.

On a crappy note my hip is pretty sore since yesterday's run (more so than the last while), so I've booked in for a sports massage tomorrow and then back to the physio tomorrow. Here's hoping it's nothing too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

Murph_D wrote: »
    A very good friend of mine did DCM in 2014 for the first (and probably last) time. I did a few training runs and races with him, but he couldn't get his head around the pace, kept trying to just go further and further at his MP. Didn't matter what advice I gave him, he just "knew" that this was the right strategy for him. He did the Race Series, getting more reinforcement from being able to race further and further at this marathon pace. By the time of DCM he was saying 4 hours but thinking 3:45. I suggested the 4 hour pacers (Wave 2) but he insisted on going it alone and all went well at first, going through halfway in 1:55 or so. All well until the 30k checkpoint, then boom, it took him nearly 90 mins to cover the final 7 miles. He hasn't raced since. Don't let this be you.

Totally did that too!! Really hard lesson to learn not to race your training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Signed up for the last three races of the race series - am away for the five mile. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

In case anyone is interested in the Irish Runner 5-miler in the Phoenix Park - the entries close tomorrow. I won't be doing it myself, but might come along for the flapjacks afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

nop98 wrote: »
    In case anyone is interested in the Irish Runner 5-miler in the Phoenix Park - the entries close tomorrow. I won't be doing it myself, but might come along with the flapjacks afterwards!

FYP :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭budhistmonk

Hellooo All

I did my first marathon in Copenhagen at the weekend. Here's a beast of a post with a few thoughts.

Great report SausageDogDave. Congrats on completing your marathon. Your day sounds like a carbon copy of my one and only marathon - DCM 2014. The thing I got from my race and from reading your report is that I had an unrealistic goal time based on my HM PB which was similar to yours at ~1:58:??. McMillian told me my marathon time should be ~4:10 and I believed him. I went out with the 4:10 pacers and had a very similar finish time and day to yours.

One thing I'm getting from this thread is to not put too much faith on what McMillan tells you your Marathon goal time is. It seems to catch so many people out. The best rule I've seen on here for figuring out your marathon time is HM PB + 20-30 mins (I think I have that right). I've readjusted my goals and plans accordingly for the 2nd-time-around.

Congrats again!

krahsrekop wrote: »
    Hi I posted earlier but I missed the original post with the questions to answer.

Have you raced before? I have done a few 5k races my PB is 20:30 and most recent race was the Dublin Staff relay where I ran 21:20 for the 5k

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No

How much training do you currently do ? At the moment I do cross training 3 times a week which includes core strength and do a bit of kettlebells also. I have only really started to run about 15k a week in the last couple of weeks but this week I have started the HHN1 program. I thought it might be good to get a bit of a head start

What do you want to achieve? First things first I would like complete the course but an aim would be around the 4hr mark. I would hope to get a more definitive answer on timing when I am a few weeks into the training and I see how I am coping

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? I can train most days of the week and I plan on using the HHN1 program with Monday morning run evening cross training. Tues rest. Wed morn run. Thurs morn run and eve cross training. Fri rest. Sat long run. Sun rest

Why are you running this marathon?I am running the marathon because I want to test myself and accomplish something that I can be proud of.

Hello krahsrekop - your reversed nickname is quite a tongue-twister!
    Let's not worry about finishing times etc, for now. You seem to have plenty of ability judging by your 5k PB, but if the posts of the recent days tell us anything, it's clocking up 100s and 100s of slow miles to build up your endurance, is what's needed.

I have two recommendations.

First, run more. Start transferring cross-training days (3 a week currently) to easy running days. Also, run further. Start increasing your weekly mileage to be 20-25 miles a week. Don't rush it, increase the weekly mileage by 10% max only. Increase your easy mid-week runs as well as your long run at the weekend (and run it at the right pace). Check out the HHN plan - and it's structure.

Second, don't get too attached to DCM just yet. Hard thing to do with all the excitement on social media and on this thread, but going from 10k max to running a half marathon on 10 consecutive weekends, and then running 26.2 miles is a heck of a jump. You don't have to sign-up to the full thing just yet. Train along with the others, report your progress, ask your questions, smash your HM PB, and then make the decision in September...

The very best of luck!

Firedance wrote: »
    FYP :D:D

Oh no - I wouldn't want to be responsible for food-poisoning everybody (plus I hear you make a mean flapjack?).

Oh no - I wouldn't want to be responsible for food-poisoning everybody (plus I hear you make a mean flapjack?).
    aquinn wrote: »

Actually, I think we have a volunteer in aquinn - she already has an excellent recipe! Much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

What are peoples choice of supplements? I'm normally just top up with a protein shake twice a day on workout days and a multivitamin whenever I remember to take it - anything I should be doing extra?

I find if I miss the shake my legs will be sore the following days. I'm not the biggest eater in the world so shoving an extra few chicken breasts down my neck is not achievable.

jameshayes wrote: »
    What are peoples choice of supplements? I'm normally just top up with a protein shake twice a day on workout days and a multivitamin whenever I remember to take it - anything I should be doing extra?

I find if I miss the shake my legs will be sore the following days. I'm not the biggest eater in the world so shoving an extra few chicken breasts down my neck is not achievable.

I don't use much in the way of supplements. I generally just have a protein shake after a run, other than that, just a decent diet. Generally have porridge, and then chicken for lunch, and fish or the like for dinner. I'm lucky in that I can eat the same thing every day, and not get bored of it. I just view it at fuel :)

Milk and a banana will do. I always try to get some scrambled eggs into me after a long run too. Easy, fast, and always goes down well with a cuppa tea. No need for anything too fancy or expensive in the supplement area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Is Garmin Connect so unuser friendly that you cant upload all your old activities to Strava in one fell swoop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Is Garmin Connect so unuser friendly that you cant upload all your old activities to Strava in one fell swoop?

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

https://www7224.ssldomain.com/sideburn/garmin/

This will grab them all for you - but caveat emptor (you dont have to pay, but you should use it with caution - maybe change your Garmin password to something really generic and then use it, so you're not giving a random site a common password of yours)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

If you want to upload your Garmin runs, Runkeeper, etc to Strava you can use tapiriik.com

On supplements and shakes I avoid them both but do what works for you. But if you feel you don't get enough nutrition in your food maybe look at your diet.

So it looks like some of my most recent activities are being transferred to Strava. Joined the group as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The first ever recipe over at the Cooking Club was flapjacks.

Normally, I stay away from sugary things, but I've just put some in the oven. Damn you all. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

If you want to upload your Garmin runs, Runkeeper, etc to Strava you can use tapiriik.com

It seems to have every fitness app except the one I have. Anyone know if I can get my running info from Map My Run over to Strava. I do have the Strava app but only use it for cycling as I like to keep my running and cycling apart

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Thanks for your report Sausage Dog Dave, it really drills home, Nop98s recommendation of "runners.....slow down" and the importance of sticking to a plan. Suppose we must remind ourselves that's it's the mileage we need to build up slowly and respect the legs....but that Rome wasn't build in a day!!!!

Best of luck with your next marathon, Sausage Dog Dave

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Also, I recommend running without a watch / timing device your first couple of times. If you can't do without the stats afterwards, strap it around your ankle or tape over the display - but break the instant feedback loop and run by feel only. Try it. You have to get tuned into the right pace by listening to your body and breathing.

I went out with mine earlier and didn't fully press the start button, so that was that. I really only take it for the mileage at the end. Half of the time there are too many figures on the screen for me to particularly care during a quick glance. I'll continue to use it out and about as I haven't really decided on a lsr route just yet.

I'm quite tempted to delete running apps from my phone and iPod Touch - never used them (properly) and the plan listed in the OP is good enough for me, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It seems to have every fitness app except the one I have. Anyone know if I can get my running info from Map My Run over to Strava. I do have the Strava app but only use it for cycling as I like to keep my running and cycling apart
    This might be of help to you
    https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917757-Moving-your-activity-history-from-MapMyRun-to-Strava

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

jameshayes wrote: »

I would never advocate taking 2 protein shakes a day. You need to get your nutrients in via natural sources, not some chemically produced cocktail.

I do take whey protein on occasions after a long run but twice a day is a big no-no IMHO.
    anything I should be doing extra?

No! Supplements are not the right way to do this.

• Advertisement

I have often wondered about the benefits of protein shakes and supplements.

So far on my longer runs I have survived of Fruit Patsilles and Wine Gums! Like to have a nice pint of chocolate milk when finished though!

Certainly open to advise on that sort of thing.
    I would never advocate taking 2 protein shakes a day. You need to get your nutrients in via natural sources, not some chemically produced cocktail.

I do take whey protein on occasions after a long run but twice a day is a big no-no IMHO.

No! Supplements are not the right way to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I have often wondered about the benefits of protein shakes and supplements.

So far on my longer runs I have survived of Fruit Patsilles and Wine Gums! Like to have a nice pint of chocolate milk when finished though!

Certainly open to advise on that sort of thing.

For a couple of years I used to take a whey protein drink after each long run; mostly because someone recommended that to me.

Protein is necessary for muscle repair and a protein shake makes it very easy to ensure that there will be protein available for the body.

Since then I've gradually gone off that. I've taken one single drink of whey protein in the last 2 months, and that was when I was feeling rather knackered after a fairly hard long run and just wanted a quick fix.

Natural, unprocessed food will always trump highly processed food, and if you take a lot of protein shakes it means you're inevitably missing out on "real food". It is absolutely not necessary to take supplement when training for a marathon, in fact it could very easily be counter-productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Know i'm completely late to the party but best wishes to everyone doing the marathon for the first time this year.

I was one of Dubsgal's students last year. This thread is unbelievable support and will keep you going through downer days. i would have given up on a few occasions if it wasn't for this help.

I enjoyed last year so much. Dubsgal was strategically positioned at the start of a tough hill on the day. I'll never forget the massive hug I got from her and I still remember her telling me to 'get up that hill!!!' - words can't describe how much it spurred me on.

Enjoy every minute of it. I took the training a bit too seriously and was obsessed with a time but please, please forget about all that. Do what you can, do it comfortably and ENJOY IT. it's only AFTER - i totally understand and agree with it.

I've had some injuries - recovering slowly with my wonderful physio. Back up to 7 miles at the moment. Signed up to the race series & Dublin Marathon 2016 yesterday yikes! (except Fingal 10k).

Even though I'm technically a graduate I'm totally spying on this. I'm sure I'll need a kick up the arse as the training ranks up too!

I can't advise people enough to do strength training outside of running too - to avoid injury!

Good luck everyone xxx

ToriV wrote: »
    So finally got around to this - had crap wifi to get sorted!

So a bit about me! I started running last year having been talked into running the WMM or charity. I was fairly fit with lots of boxercise, TRX and spinning but never ran. In fact, i hated even the idea of it. Started training and about 5 weeks into a couch to 10k plan, something happened! i started to love it, and it has been a love affair ever since. Now I learned the lessons the hard way - running too much (bad),running too fast (bad), racing my training (bad) and that running means running slooooooooow and then some (V bad). I have cut these out now and have thankfully been injury free (touch wood).

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Dont race much, but took part in local fundraising 5k and 10 ks.
    PB 5k 26:08
    PB 10K 53:45

Trained for a HM that I couldnt take part in, but ran the distance 21k in 2:08.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    4 days running - 1 short speed session, 1 medium easy, 1 short easy and 1 long slow run. Cross train twice a week - TRX and strenght training focusing on core and glutes.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I just want to finish. Its such an epic achievement and I have nothing but respect for the distance and those that complete it.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? 4 days is fine and I was looking at the HHN1 as this time i just want to get around, and wantto still run!
    Why are you running this marathon? I want to challenge myself and i love to run.

Looking forwarad to being part of this and thanks so much to the mentors! All advice will be gratefully accepted!

Hello ToriV, welcome to the thread, sorry it took so long to respond.

I am glad to hear you've already learned a few truths about how to properly train (the hard way, it seems :() but you seem to be injury-free at the moment?

I think HHN1 is fine for you, it will allow you to slowly build up your mileage and you can easily fit in your cross training - core/glutes is an excellent area to focus on (but you probably won't have time or energy for two days :D), see how you get on. Remember that that is meant to be an easy day.

Not much feedback for the time being - you should consider planning the 5M on June 12 or an equivalent race in June before the training plans start. Additionally, don't wait with slowly increasing your weekly mileage. The further you can get ahead of the curve, the better (the plan will eventually catch up!).

The very best of luck!

For a couple of years I used to take a whey protein drink after each long run; mostly because someone recommended that to me.

Protein is necessary for muscle repair and a protein shake makes it very easy to ensure that there will be protein available for the body.

Since then I've gradually gone off that. I've taken one single drink of whey protein in the last 2 months, and that was when I was feeling rather knackered after a fairly hard long run and just wanted a quick fix.

Natural, unprocessed food will always trump highly processed food, and if you take a lot of protein shakes it means you're inevitably missing out on "real food". It is absolutely not necessary to take supplement when training for a marathon, in fact it could very easily be counter-productive.

I'm not sure I'm following this. Why is it counter-productive?

I'd tend to agree. I know a sub 2:30 marathoner who has a shake every morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

Hi I have been reading but not updating anything lately. I had a couple of crazy weeks and I think they will start to settle...
    I feel tired in the evenings and I really don't see how I will ever be able to get to marathon distance.... but I said the same 2 years ago when I did the first half and I did it, so I will do it ;o))) I just need 'time' to organise myself ;o)

So far, until half Marathon I never had any supplements... Berocca before the race and water. Maybe some jellies but that's it. I know it was mentioned that in some weeks we will talk about gels etc... so I will wait for that...

After a run I 'try' to have something like protein bar, or chicken or something, but usually I am not hungry... just a bite.
    Now I see about the sub 2:30 M has a share every morning... Morning instead of after race?
    Not questioning, just wondering, as I don't have a clue. The rest of my family are gym goers and they do take shakes for after the gym.. .they say I should not take as they will make me 'bulkier' and that is the LAST thing I need.

Any suggestions... .reasons..... comments? Thanks!!

kabuxa wrote: »
    Hi I have been reading but not updating anything lately. I had a couple of crazy weeks and I think they will start to settle...
    I feel tired in the evenings and I really don't see how I will ever be able to get to marathon distance.... but I said the same 2 years ago when I did the first half and I did it, so I will do it ;o))) I just need 'time' to organise myself ;o)

So far, until half Marathon I never had any supplements... Berocca before the race and water. Maybe some jellies but that's it. I know it was mentioned that in some weeks we will talk about gels etc... so I will wait for that...

After a run I 'try' to have something like protein bar, or chicken or something, but usually I am not hungry... just a bite.
    Now I see about the sub 2:30 M has a share every morning... Morning instead of after race?
    Not questioning, just wondering, as I don't have a clue. The rest of my family are gym goers and they do take shakes for after the gym.. .they say I should not take as they will make me 'bulkier' and that is the LAST thing I need.

Protein shakes aren't for bulk, they're for muscle repair. I aim to get about 120g of protein a day in my diet. Only about 25 of this comes from supplements IF I use it on a training day. I mainly have a lot of chicken and fish in my diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SausageDogDave

chrislad wrote: »
    I'd tend to agree. I know a sub 2:30 marathoner who has a shake every morning!

Ha I'm sure that 2:30 guy does a lot of things:D

I think the point TBF was making was that nothing really beats a good, balanced diet. Shakes can be counter-productive if you're using them as a substitute for good natural food (too much protein isn't good either).
    kabuxa wrote:
    For now, and at least until the millage starts building up I wouldn't sweat it. Main thing should be just building up the running I think (ie the main thing).

In the meantime, I'd be more interested in trying figure out the best way to fuel yourself before a long run. For example, how long before the run should you eat and what should you eat? Bit of porridge and brown bread and jam works ok for me maybe 2.5 hours before. It mightn't work for some though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It possibly depends on the type of protein supplement you are taking. Firstly bare in mind that any supplement shouldn't replace part of a healthy diet but should act as a "top-up" to a healthy balanced diet; the clue is in the name "supplement". For sport's like running a protein supplement for "lean muscle mass" would be best, the other type of protein supplement is a "mass gainer" this will also tend to carry a lot of carbs to add weight or bulk and is ideal for someone looking to bulk up, e.g. a boxer or rugby player (depending on the position they play) who require's a lot of mass. Thats a very simple explanation!

I'd always take protein after a weights session in the gym, but as for running only after a very long run when running (I'm still not convinced it makes a massive difference).
    Also consider that the supplement market is a mine field, have a quick look in the health & fitness forum I know that used to have endless debate's over which brand is best. I know which particular products worked best for me and I stick with them. As for the 2:30 runner, lets be honest they are running at a completely different level, one of the mantra's from this thread last year was; have a goal time in mind but concentrate on getting to the finish line, the time is secondary to that.

My own opinion (and there are more knowledgable posters here), is not to bother; for long runs some gels and electrolytes are the most you should need. If you do decide to use protein, go to a dedicated supplements store, explain what you are doing and ask what they'd recommend.

I think the point TBF was making was that nothing really beats a good, balanced diet. Shakes can be counter-productive if you're using them as a substitute for good natural food (too much protein isn't good either).
    ]

Definitely. I use an app, MyFitnessPal, to monitor my levels of carbs/protein etc. Works for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

For now, and at least until the millage starts building up I wouldn't sweat it. Main thing should be just building up the running I think (ie the main thing).

In the meantime, I'd be more interested in trying figure out the best way to fuel yourself before a long run. For example, how long before the run should you eat and what should you eat? Bit of porridge and brown bread and jam works ok for me maybe 2.5 hours before. It mightn't work for some though..[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, I fully agree... from next week I will start building mileage.... there has been so many races lately that kind of threw everything away from plan but soon back on track.

I do have porridge & fruit in the morning... but here is where I have a problem ;o) If we usually go running at 8.30am.... there is no way I will get up 2.5 hours before to have breakfast. ;o) Seriously.... I have heard this before the 2 hour, 2 and a half before running.... is it really that important... can 1 hour, 1.5h do? Thanks!

kabuxa wrote: »
    I have heard this before the 2 hour, 2 and a half before running.... is it really that important... can 1 hour, 1.5h do? Thanks!

Well, the risk is that you'd feel iky. Some would feel iky if they ate 3 hours before a run. Now's the time to try it and see how you go. You'll figure out what works for you soon enough

chrislad wrote: »
    I use an app, MyFitnessPal, to monitor my levels of carbs/protein etc. Works for me!
    Nice. I like apps. Sounds better than Noom, which just counts calories...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

I do have porridge & fruit in the morning... but here is where I have a problem ;o) If we usually go running at 8.30am.... there is no way I will get up 2.5 hours before to have breakfast. ;o) Seriously.... I have heard this before the 2 hour, 2 and a half before running.... is it really that important... can 1 hour, 1.5h do? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Hi, no expert here just a novice but I tend to have porridge with dried fruit 1hr before a morning run however if it's a evening run, I just ensure to have a proper meal at lunch (probably 4 hours before the run) and some fruit an hour before that evening run. Suppose now is the time to test out what works for you. although I have been told that gels and protein shakes are imperative for LSRs once you hit 15miles... Hopefully the experienced runners can enlighten us.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Was on another board re feeling exhausted and they suggested more sleep (duh) and a protein shake after a lsr which I have found makes a massive difference to me anyway
    My question is this....electrolytes have been mentioned, even a particular brand, do people take these regularly? I took the kids diorolyte after a half marathon recently and found it helped with recovery but I wonder is there a better solution out there? I took that as a friend on charity work on Africa was told to sip on it during the day to prevent dehydration which is something I struggle with. Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Antwerp wrote: »
    I do have porridge & fruit in the morning... but here is where I have a problem ;o) If we usually go running at 8.30am.... there is no way I will get up 2.5 hours before to have breakfast. ;o) Seriously.... I have heard this before the 2 hour, 2 and a half before running.... is it really that important... can 1 hour, 1.5h do? Thanks!

Hi, no expert here just a novice but I tend to have porridge with dried fruit 1hr before a morning run however if it's a evening run, I just ensure to have a proper meal at lunch (probably 4 hours before the run) and some fruit an hour before that evening run. Suppose now is the time to test out what works for you. although I have been told that gels and protein shakes are imperative for LSRs once you hit 15miles... Hopefully the experienced runners can enlighten us.[/QUOTE]

Scrambled egg, slice of ham or chicken. Cottage cheese and bit of ballymaloe
    relish in bagel job done after LR and glass milk. Only takes 10 mins to get
    ready. Bag of whole mixed nuts good to snack on as well. Used to have banana
    and bowel porridge about half hour before LSR as your not moving to fast
    it never did me any harm, but it's an individual thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well I can only tell you what I did during marathon training last year I did my long runs Sunday morning got up 2 hours before I went out had a berroca boost porridge with blueberries and raspberries and a cuppa tea not all together obviously !!! then I'd stretch for 20 mins while watching xpose catching up on my autumn winter fashion tips !!! Then head out for the run. It was literally the same thing every Sunday. I did try coffee early in the programme but that didnt agree with me so changed to tea. It meant on the morning of DCM I had the exact same routine as long run day you know what works you know how your body reacts and it's just what works for you you've the next number of weeks to see what works for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

The Muppet wrote: »

Thanks. I've had a look and can't seem to work it out. I think you need to be on the MVP package. I have found fitnesssyncer. So going to try this to see if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

anais wrote: »
    Was on another board re feeling exhausted and they suggested more sleep (duh) and a protein shake after a lsr which I have found makes a massive difference to me anyway
    My question is this....electrolytes have been mentioned, even a particular brand, do people take these regularly? I took the kids diorolyte after a half marathon recently and found it helped with recovery but I wonder is there a better solution out there? I took that as a friend on charity work on Africa was told to sip on it during the day to prevent dehydration which is something I struggle with. Tia

I used the nuun tablets dissolved in water when the distances started to increase used this during DCM too. I was really thirsty one week after running and no matter how much water I drank it wasn't making me feel any better. Hubby made me take some sea salt just a small amount and I felt so much better. Started taking the nunn tablets after than then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Looking at the plan, it's really only the mid-week medium run and the lsr at weekends that I think I'll need to worry about eating before. At the moment I usually run first thing and during the week would happily do up to about 8k on 'empty' but then I tend to eat dinner late enough in the evening so maybe that makes a difference.

At weekends for longer runs I do like MrsMac suggests and get up about 1.5 - 2 hours early for porridge and coffee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement