Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

ToriV wrote: »
    Thanks! I was just wondering if it was better as it would simulate running on tired legs? I am lucky that I can organise my runs when I want this summer - so really want to take the best approach to this I can. Going to jump into this next week ... think it's going to be a scorcher. Am I the only one who dare I say it ......mmm doesn't really enjoy hot weather???

Running on tired legs is important - that's why we have recovery runs the day after the LSRs. There was a good post on last years thread about recovery running, I'll dig it up - but essentially this is running for 30-45 minutes the day after a long run or race. VERY VERY slow. Go-crazy type of slow. Why-did-I-put-on-my-runners slow. The exact reason for this is to get the legs used to being forced into action when they are already tired. But in order to not impact your recovery, it needs to be slow, and very limited mileage, 3-4 miles tops.

Last year, the day after the FD10, I headed out to the local park in pouring rain to do my recovery. Given the awful weather, I ran it much faster then I should have, only to be spotted in person by last years mentor Dubgal. :eek: Obviously that meant I spent the week at the back of the class.

As for hot weather, who knows - it might be a scorcher in October too, and then you'll be glad to have practiced! Just be careful with hydrating before, during, and after your runs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

nop98 wrote: »
    Hey TBO. Good work. Hope the LSR pace was OK? Mental training is part of the journey, TFGR posted a great note to that effect a few pages back.

As for gels, good practice - but you don't really need them yet at these distances (I'm sure you know from your experience). Once LSR distances grow, 12M+ (or so), it becomes important to top up. But practicing carrying them, consuming them on the run, getting used to it, is good.

I would generally recommend following LSR with some recovery running (but walking is fine too). Using the legs gently while they are tired / in recovery, is great for marathon training.

Thanks for your 2 cents, nop. What do you mean by recovery running and when? :cool:

According to my Garmin thingy, the stats (didn't wear the heart rate strap) from the week were:

Tues (3.14m), 10:37 min/mi Avg Pace - overall time 33:18
    Weds (3.11m), 12:17 min/mi Avg Pace - overall time 38:15
    Thurs (3m) - no stats, forgot to turn it on - same route as above
    Sat (6m) 12:07 min/mi, Avg Pace (turned it on late, so went a little over the 6m. overall time 1:12:40
    Sun - just walked with earphones in

(I should say the time might be slightly over as I don't always press stop straight away)

How's that looking? Physically, it felt like jogging, not running - for the most part. Normally, I prefer km, but let's not resurrect that topic. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

10 miles in 100 minutes followed buy a 99 in 10 seconds this morning. Lovely weather for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭aceygray

kabuxa wrote: »

Another question... the heat almost killed me today.... but I always get very warm when I run... and I cannot take any more clothes! Any suggestion?

Thank you!

In hot weather I always wet my hair with cold water before I go out - I think it keeps me cooler during running.

Here's my weekly check in:

Monday - fast mile
    Tuesday - 5.5 mile moderate pace
    Wednesday - 6 x 400m intervals
    Thursday - 3 miles easy
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 40 min tempo
    Sunday - 8 mile LSR

My LSR pace was much better this week - I really felt I could run the whole distance again when I finished. I did pick up the pace a bit in the last half mile or so, probably because I knew I was on the home straight. I'll try and watch that for next time.

Stretched & foam rolled after the LSR today. Honestly, I knew the foam rolling would hurt, but I didn't think it would hurt that much! I was nearly crying! I have a feeling I will be sore tomorrow, but at least I'm not running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Weekly Check-In

Slow start to the week but happy to report I seem to have my mojo back :D

M: Rest with sports massage
    T: Rest (unplanned)
    W: 6.35k easy @ avg 6:47/km
    T: 5k easy @ avg 6:35/km
    F: Rest (planned)
    S: 9.34k LSR @ avg 7:02/km
    S: Some walking in early afternoon followed by 3.59k Rec run @ avg 6:59/km

Next two weeks:
    M: 5k easy plus swim and sauna if time
    T: Travel
    W - S & M - S: Walking holiday, no running but covering about 30k a day so shouldn't loose too much running fitness (I hope).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

10.7m LSR today at 10:41 pace. I made a point of slowing it down even more than previous runs and it was definitely conversational pace. Didn't appreciate the lad shouting something at me from a cab though!

However (there's always a however :)), this was my first run with my new HR strap and my watch showed me hanging around zone 3.6-4.0 with an avg HR of 135.
    Is 135 too high? I felt that if I slowed down more I'd be doing bunny-rabbit. I don't have a clue, but I felt great the whole run.

Weekly update:
    4 runs: Two 4m easy, one 5m threshold and the LSR. Total 24m, a bit down on previous week as I was in US for 2 days.

Hi kin9pin,

I might get resident plan expert FBOT to chime in here, too - but my observations are:
    • If you're planning to run it as LSR, then there's no real need to adapt the plan at all. You're just extending the week 2 LSR by a few miles. Somehow I doubt you will tho... (13M LSR pace will see you finish in ~2h15-20, and you ran Clontarf before in <2, right.... :rolleyes: )
    • But assuming you'll get that all-too-familiar rush of blood :) you need more recovery afterwards. Depending on how hard you went out, I would say no running until at least Thursday, and certainly no 13 miler as LSR the weekend after. Maybe 2 easy runs Thu/Fri, rest/cross on Sat, and 8 very gentle miles on Sunday.
    • Depending on how you feel after that, either follow the plan in week -15 or with some reduced mileage.

What are you weeks like -21, -20, and -19?

Thanks nop,

You're right, I will probably run just under 2hr pace, but I do feel I can run that easier now than last year.
    Here's my plan for wks -21/20/19. My longest LSR is a 2 hour easy run on Sunday 5th June.

Week start # Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    06/06/2016 21 rest 40min easy 10min w/u, 5x5min intervals 40min easy rest 20min easy Irish Runner 5 mile
    13/06/2016 20 rest 15 easy, 15 threshold, 15 easy 40min easy 10min w/u, 5x3min intervals rest 45min fartlek 1 hr LSR
    20/06/2016 19 rest 40min easy 10min w/u, 4x5min intervals 30min easy rest 40min fartlek LSR, 40min easy, 40min HM pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭All or nothing

Hello All or nothing, welcome to the thread! Another first-post poster in our thread!

Sounds like you have your plan, progression, and goals firmly in hand. I did notice the gradual trend in your PBs and I think a sensible approach towards the goals for the big day (like you say yourself) is exactly what is required.

Boards plan sound right for you - don't underestimate it as the mileage ramps up very steeply at the start. You'll have worked up plenty of endurance from the Cork HM so you're in a good spot.

A couple of things to keep in mind. Since you're already following the guidance of your physio, I'd discuss your marathon plans with him/her, to see how your proposed training plan and your excercises fit together in. Much as we try, this thread is no substitute for professional medial advice.

Second, good luck in Cork HM. Some DCM 2015 grads are doing it, too. A change to hone the race-report skills! And - 2 weeks off running afterwards, or only very gentle recovery work in the second week after.

Delighted to have you on board!

Thanks Nop,

I arranged it so our two weeks summer holidays are falling the two weeks after the half marathon. I will bring my running gear with me just in case I get a mad notion, but I don't plan on using them. My other half does a small bit of running too, but she wouldn't be too impressed if I headed off out while away on holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Firedance wrote: »
    Some super fuelling & nutrition advice there from everyone. If anyone likes bananas and nuts, this is a lovely banana bread recipe (yum!) I used to have a couple of slices in the car for when I finished my Long runs this year, you can use any nuts you like, put more in, sprinkle more on top. Just make sure the bananas are overripe. Another boardsie makes this with chocolate chips which just ads to the yum value so I've included them below :)

Ok this sounds super implausible, but I hadn't gotten around to printing out this recipe yet, nor even mentioned it to my OH. I got home from my LSR this evening and walked into the kitchen and what was she doing?

Baking banana bread with walnuts in!

387265.png

Eerie. (And delicious)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

My weekly update (23rd-29th May)

Monday: 5 miles (9:48 min/mile)
    Tuesday: 8 miles (9:41 min/mile)
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday: 4 miles (9:12 min/mile)
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: 12 miles (11:08 min/mile)
    Sunday: rest

Weather-wise it was a lovely week for running. Not sure if it was the warm weather or tiredness but Saturday's long run felt more of a struggle than usual.

If I paced myself by heart rate, Tuesday's run would've been a bit hilarious. I was running along a narrow-ish path and a cyclist came up behind me and chose the exact moment he was passing me to suddenly scream into his phone:eek: I got such a shock that he's lucky I didn't knock him off his bike:D

My plan to figure out my cross-training plan this week never happened. Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

HazelBee wrote: »
    Hi Everyone. Delighted to be able to join the thread this year. I had contemplated it last year but as I had only had a baby in January I took the sound advice to wait. I've built up a good base again and and training for a half marathon at the end of June so I'm on track.

Have you raced before?
    Lot's of 5ks, 10ks and 3 half marathons, soon to be 4)
    Best 10k time 51.11 (more recently 53 mins on a very hilly course)
    Half PB 1:58 in September 15

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No

How much training do you currently do ?
    Generally 4 days a week. Following the Hal Higdon Novice 1 half plan at the moment. I also do a couple of mornings of strength training so usually have one rest day at the weekend.

What do you want to achieve?
    Getting to the start line without injuring myself :) Enjoying the day. I'd love to finish under 4.20.

How many days a week can you train?

Why are you running this marathon?
    It's been on my to do list for a long time. Dublin is special to me so running my first marathon there will be really exciting. I love the medal! Mostly I want to prove to myself that I can do it.
    Hi Hazel Bee you could be my soul sister. I was thinking of it last year too, then had a suprise pregnancy and a baby in January too, so like you been building the base and aiming for DCM also this year. Also doing a half at the end of June!!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

Running on tired legs is important - that's why we have recovery runs the day after the LSRs. There was a good post on last years thread about recovery running, I'll dig it up - but essentially this is running for 30-45 minutes the day after a long run or race. VERY VERY slow. Go-crazy type of slow. Why-did-I-put-on-my-runners slow. The exact reason for this is to get the legs used to being forced into action when they are already tired. But in order to not impact your recovery, it needs to be slow, and very limited mileage, 3-4 miles tops.

Last year, the day after the FD10, I headed out to the local park in pouring rain to do my recovery. Given the awful weather, I ran it much faster then I should have, only to be spotted in person by last years mentor Dubgal. :eek: Obviously that meant I spent the week at the back of the class.

As for hot weather, who knows - it might be a scorcher in October too, and then you'll be glad to have practiced! Just be careful with hydrating before, during, and after your runs.
    Haha!! so typical to get caught!! Great advice - will do. Thanks Nop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

My week (23rd-29th)
    Monday - Gym (conditioning)
    Tuesday - 3kms with the running group in work focusing on running technique
    Wednesday - 5km slow & Gym (conditioning)
    Thursday - 8km moderate
    Friday - Gym (conditioning)
    Saturday - 14KM's - probably went too fast but I enjoyed it, I wasn't too fatigued afterwards
    Sunday - Rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I went out on my 10 miles last night. I got delayed as my wife had a funeral to get to. I hadn't eaten in a few hours, but I thought I'd be okay. The last 3 miles were not fun, so lesson re-learned! Make sure you're properly fueled!

That said, it was the most even run I think I've ever done!

1 10:44 /mi
    2 10:45 /mi
    3 10:41 /mi
    4 10:43 /mi
    5 10:40 /mi
    6 10:40 /mi
    7 10:45 /mi
    8 10:41 /mi
    9 10:44 /mi
    10 10:42 /mi

I've been turning over the two plans in the opening post in my head and I'm not really comfortable with either. HHN1 seems too easy, I'd actually have to step back my mileage for the first half of it at least and it doesn't include any running at PMP which I really want. On the other hand, the Boards plan looks like it ramps up too quickly for my level and I think I might struggle with it.

Is HH Novice 2 a good compromise? I've done it up in Google Sheets in the style of the Boards plan and I'm just curious as to whether there's something wrong with this or should I go ahead with it? It feels right to me, like it's in the sweet spot of what I'm looking for.

The only problem is I had to shuffle it a bit to fit the races and I'm not sure about the LSRs following the HM...

387273.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Following on from a week of races it was back to the plan last week:

Monday: Morning: Gym - CX Worx Class and weight training. Evening: Speed session, 1 min hard, one min easy x20 reps.
    Tuesday: Pilates
    Wednesday: Morning: Gym - CX Worx Class and weight training. Evening: 7 Mile easy run.
    Thursday Rest Day (Saucony Stridelab & Sports massage)
    Friday: Rest day (Physio recommended an extra rest day after massage)
    Saturday: 25 mins of hill repeats
    Sunday: 8 mile LSR (I misread the plan, was only supposed to do 6!)

My physio recommended an easy week this week to allow my calves some rest ahead of the mini marathon & race series next week, so will be mainly swimming and cycling with maybe a very easy 5 mile run on Wednesday. It was during the mini marathon last year that I tore my left calf so don't want history to repeat itself :S

I've been turning over the two plans in the opening post in my head and I'm not really comfortable with either. HHN1 seems too easy, I'd actually have to step back my mileage for the first half of it at least and it doesn't include any running at PMP which I really want. On the other hand, the Boards plan looks like it ramps up too quickly for my level and I think I might struggle with it.

Is HH Novice 2 a good compromise? I've done it up in Google Sheets in the style of the Boards plan and I'm just curious as to whether there's something wrong with this or should I go ahead with it? It feels right to me, like it's in the sweet spot of what I'm looking for.

The only problem is I had to shuffle it a bit to fit the races and I'm not sure about the LSRs following the HM...

387273.PNG

I'd try to get another 20 mile run in there if you can. Plus, you think you'll be doing cross after your first 20 mile LSR? Bless! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

chrislad wrote: »
    I'd try to get another 20 mile run in there if you can. Plus, you think you'll be doing cross after your first 20 mile LSR? Bless! :D

I'd have to disagree with this chris sorry, if the plan has one 20 miler then that's what you do, if you want to do 2 20 milers then find a plan that has 2....By all means Max find another plan if you don't want to do either of the ones we have here however.....if you change a plan then its no longer the same plan, its a different plan - the moral (is that right FBOT!) of this particular story is STICK TO THE PLAN whatever plan you choose and don't add long runs, especially 20 milers that are not built into them.

Edit: I think you will need to reduce those LSR's after the races, especially the 19 miler a week after the HM, the boards plan only has 14 miles after the HM.

the boards plan only has 14 miles after the HM.

"Only"! Dear God, what am I getting myself into :D

• Advertisement

I'd have to disagree with this chris sorry, if the plan has one 20 miler then that's what you do, if you want to do 2 20 milers then find a plan that has 2....By all means Max find another plan if you don't want to do either of the ones we have here however.....if you change a plan then its no longer the same plan, its a different plan - the moral (is that right FBOT!) of this particular story is STICK TO THE PLAN whatever plan you choose and don't add long runs, especially 20 milers that are not built into them.

Edit: I think you will need to reduce those LSR's after the races, especially the 19 miler a week after the HM, the boards plan only has 14 miles after the HM.

Apologies, I wasn't clear. What I meant to say was that I would follow a plan that has two 20 mile runs. One really isn't enough, unless you just want to complete the distance without a time in mind.

kin9pin wrote: »
    "Only"! Dear God, what am I getting myself into :D

Yeah, that's the scary part. When a double digit run is being described as "only", your mileage is definitely starting to get high!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Szilvike

Hi nop98,

You might have not seen my introducing post on 25-05-2016, 23:18... I can't wait for my welcoming post! :)

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I should have had my coffee before I posted! actually the boards plan has a 20 miler the week after the HM :rolleyes:

I should have had my coffee before I posted! actually the boards plan has a 20 miler the week after the HM :rolleyes:

Heh, I was looking at that myself scratching my head. :D HHN1 has 14 miles all right. I do feel like a 19 and 20 miler in the two weeks after the HM is probably a bit much, but on the other hand as you said yourself stick to the plan, so I don't know what to be doing. :eek:

But aren't we supposed to run the HM as an LSR? The plan says (PP) which I assume is planned marathon pace, but I'm sure I saw a discussion early in the thread saying it should be a LSR as it's so close to the marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Weekly Check-in

So this was my first full week following Hal Higdon's Novice One training plan for the marathon. It went well! Here's how I found it:

MONDAY: On Monday, I was thrilled. I posted here that having Mondays off made the decision to start the plan early an easy one - I can't help but think that the plan was built with this in mind. So Monday came and went and I did exactly what the plan told me to do on my little spreadsheet: rest.

TUESDAY: Tuesdays have us doing three milers, at least to start off with. The entire plan is in miles as it hails from America, a fact that annoys and confuses my European brain. However, google tells me that the run lengths for the first few weeks, by some miracle, almost exactly match the lengths I'm currently doing anyway. The short runs are three miles long, which google tells me is a handy 4.8km, very close to my 5k runs. The long runs vary every week, but the first one is 6 miles, which google says is in or around 9.6km, almost perfectly matching my 10k runs. I ran my ~5k in 28 minutes, as the plan said to run slowly to build up stamina. I foolishly thought this meant I was in for an easy ride, but what I failed to take into account was the fact that slower runs mean a longer overall time spent exercising.

WEDNESDAY: Wednesday was identical to Tuesday, an easy run of the same length. Despite going as slow as I could without feeling foolish, I somehow shaved a minute off my time from yesterday - 27 minutes.

THURSDAY: Thursday again was an identical length and intensity. The chart is even colour coded for intensity, something I hadn't before taken into consideration. I again somehow shaved a minute off my time to reach my front door after having left it only 26 minutes prior.

FRIDAY: Friday was meant to be a rest day, but seeing as how we need to do a day of cross training a week, and the fact that I had planned to go swimming with my aunt today, and add in the fact that I know nothing about cross training, I figured that Friday could be my CT day. I swam 30 lengths of a 20 metre pool in total - 10 backstroke, 10 legkicks, and 10 backstroke to finish off. In all it took me 25 minutes.

SATURDAY: Since I didn't take my rest day on Friday, I decided that today would be my chance, and spent the day visiting relatives. There's more resting on this plan than I had on my homemade weekly plan, but apparently that's when the muscles develop according to Hal Higdon's website.

SUNDAY: I did my first LSR on Sunday, 10k and it took me 68 minutes. I posted on here yesterday worrying that it might've been too slow, but was assured it was not. Which is fantastic because I honestly felt like I could have kept up that pace forever, which - as nop98 says - is exactly the point.

Good week all round! I might be cheeky here and plug my blog - I've been blogging about the marathon training since October and most of this write up actually comes from there, I just copied and pasted the majority of it here. If anyone wants to give it a quick once over, it can be found here:

https://runintherainblog.wordpress.com/

Cheers! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Seems like a lot of people already started on the Higdon plan, am I missing something here? I know we need to be building up mileage before it starts but I thought the actual plan itself was 4 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Seems like a lot of people already started on the Higdon plan, am I missing something here? I know we need to be building up mileage before it starts but I thought the actual plan itself was 4 months?

We're all just super keen to get to those 20 mile lsr's

I believe some people don't like to run 'a la carte' and prefer to be following a plan, so this is a good opportunity to get used to the format of the plan and they'll probably start over at the end of June. Personally I've written up my own plan to take me up to then.

There is also at least one person here who is running Berlin marathon rather than DCM. It's 4 weeks earlier so he has started his training proper I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SausageDogDave

Fbjm wrote: »
    Weekly Check-in

So this was my first full week following Hal Higdon's Novice One training plan for the marathon. It went well! Here's how I found it:

TUESDAY: I ran my ~5k in 28 minutes,

WEDNESDAY: somehow shaved a minute off my time from yesterday - 27 minutes.

THURSDAY: 26 minutes

I think someone's going to get in trouble for running waaaay to fast :D
    I won't tell Nop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SausageDogDave

Weekly Check-in

TUESDAY: I ran my ~5k in 28 minutes,

WEDNESDAY: somehow shaved a minute off my time from yesterday - 27 minutes.

THURSDAY: 26 minutes

I think someone's going to get in trouble for running waaaay to fast :D (assuming your goal is 4.5 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hello All..

So where do I start :o - Haven't posted much yet as I have been watching things take shape.

I am not entirely sure what plan to be following at present so I am going to keep it simple and aim to have min 3 x mid week runs of circa 3.5m/6k and then an LSR at the weekend. I do want to keep some gym work in there and possibly may look to take up pilates over the summer too.

So taking it back a little over a week:

Sat 21st - 6.3m @ 9.50 P/M - No problems and really enjoyed. Had my U10's Girls in a major soccer cup final on Sunday morning so had lots to think about!
    Sun 22nd Cup Final day and 43 years ticking over.. Consolatory and Celebratory McD's after the game.
    Tues 24th - Spinning Class, some resistance training and then home for a 3.5m run at 9min pace
    Thurs 26th - Had to get a few things off my mind (still disappointed that we got beat 1 - 0 Sunday).. so went for it in a 5k in the rain and set a PB
    Fri 27th - Friday early is gym day for 1.5hr of resistance and then short cool down run on treadmill
    Sun 29th - 10 mile LSR; fantastic morning! Really enjoyed. 9.4min pace.

So maybe some can help me and say what is best to be doing at this stage in advance of all beginning in earnest in early July? - is above OK, but maybe a little longer on the LSR if body allows!

Still concerns about my left ankle/foot - had the stress fracture last year and do still get some discomfort in that area. Yesterday's LSR was the big test and all held up well with no probs. Bit of stiffness today but nothing major at all. Very happy overall.. the old body is holding up well. If I can aim to get a stone off over summer life will be much easier for H/M and DCM.

Great to see so many contributing - really enjoying the thread!

Thanks
    Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I believe some people don't like to run 'a la carte' and prefer to be following a plan, so this is a good opportunity to get used to the format of the plan and they'll probably start over at the end of June. Personally I've written up my own plan to take me up to then.

I thought that might be it, but there were enough posts that sounded like structured training was underway that I was getting paranoid I'd missed a month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

However (there's always a however :)), this was my first run with my new HR strap and my watch showed me hanging around zone 3.6-4.0 with an avg HR of 135.
    Is 135 too high? I felt that if I slowed down more I'd be doing bunny-rabbit. I don't have a clue, but I felt great the whole run.

A single HR reading in isolation is pointless. You need to know your max HR to draw any conclusions. A HR of 135 would by high for someone whose max HR is 150 but low for someone with a max HR of 190.

The other thing would be to monitor your HR over time. It should come down for the same pace as you get fitter. So, if in weeks to come you run at a similar effort with HR 130 then it's all rosy. If the HR starts to go up, on the other hand, that would be a warning sign.

Having said all that, if you felt great for the whole run it almost certainly wasn't too high.

I thought that might be it, but there were enough posts that sounded like structured training was underway that I was getting paranoid I'd missed a month!

Nah, nothing like that. You're grand just so long as you're running!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

But aren't we supposed to run the HM as an LSR? The plan says (PP) which I assume is planned marathon pace, but I'm sure I saw a discussion early in the thread saying it should be a LSR as it's so close to the marathon.

Advice last year was and to add another quote that will become a mantra here 'keep the main thing the main thing' so while going for a pb is something you would love to do I do remember a few novices last year who went all out in the HM found it very tough the week after as you are straight back into training and building up your long runs still. The HM should be used to practice your gels in a race situation practice your water and drink strategy try out your gear for DCM etc. I did however get a pb in the HM last year but I didn't go all out for the time I really wanted and went at the pace we were told by the mentors ... They know what they are talking about. There is plenty of time for getting the pb's after the marathon. So 'keep the main thing the main thing! ' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

What an evening! I was a lot better prepared for running in the sun this evening. I remembered to wear suncream and finally found my sunglasses.
    The sunglasses definitely helped as I was finding running tough with the glare of the sunshine in my eyes, as well as the frequent fly in eye issue.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Advice last year was and to add another quote that will become a mantra here 'keep the main thing the main thing' so while going for a pb is something you would love to do I do remember a few novices last year who went all out in the HM found it very tough the week after as you are straight back into training and building up your long runs still. The HM should be used to practice your gels in a race situation practice your water and drink strategy try out your gear for DCM etc. I did however get a pb in the HM last year but I didn't go all out for the time I really wanted and went at the pace we were told by the mentors ... They know what they are talking about. There is plenty of time for getting the pb's after the marathon. So 'keep the main thing the main thing! ' :)

To second this, I was advised to just go for it on the day, and see how far I'm come. Yeah, I did well, shaving almost 7 minutes off my pb, but I was shattered for the next week, having to abandon my 20 mile run after "only" 16 miles. I don't advise racing it. PMP perhaps, but I was at PMP - 1:20 almost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

Still in the 'routine' of the marathon plan, last week's training.... a sort of step back week :)
    Monday - rest
    Tuesday - 5.5k @ 6.06/k pace
    Wednesday - 8k @ 6.11/k pace
    Thursday - 5.5k @ 6.00/k pace
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 13k @ 5.52/k pace
    Sunday - Climbed Lugnaquilla - 4 hours (including stops)

I plan to follow Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan and I have entered the HM in Tullamore on August 27th and the 3/4's in Longwood on 9th October and they fit in exactly the weekends that the plan recommends for HM and 20miler...I had hoped to do the dcm race series but the race dates didn't fit with the plan. My plan starts 27th June and I hope to follow it exactly, all going well :)

I hope to run 20k next Saturday and I haven't needed to drink or eat anything before (longest run 18.5k) however I do want to get used to fueling...should I start doing it now (even though I'm not sure I need it) or is it best to only fuel when you need it? Advice appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

So maybe some can help me and say what is best to be doing at this stage in advance of all beginning in earnest in early July? - is above OK, but maybe a little longer on the LSR if body allows!

Paddy

I was wondering the same now that I'm between plans. Reading though last years novice thread I found a few posts on the subject. The consensus seemed to be that adding miles to the easy runs rather than the LSR is the way to do.

here are some of the posts on the subject

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95604018&postcount=205

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95617805&postcount=213

• Advertisement

HazelBee wrote: »
    Hi Everyone. Delighted to be able to join the thread this year. I had contemplated it last year but as I had only had a baby in January I took the sound advice to wait. I've built up a good base again and and training for a half marathon at the end of June so I'm on track.

Have you raced before?
    Lot's of 5ks, 10ks and 3 half marathons, soon to be 4)
    Best 10k time 51.11 (more recently 53 mins on a very hilly course)
    Half PB 1:58 in September 15

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No

How much training do you currently do ?
    Generally 4 days a week. Following the Hal Higdon Novice 1 half plan at the moment. I also do a couple of mornings of strength training so usually have one rest day at the weekend.

What do you want to achieve?
    Getting to the start line without injuring myself :) Enjoying the day. I'd love to finish under 4.20.

How many days a week can you train?

Why are you running this marathon?
    It's been on my to do list for a long time. Dublin is special to me so running my first marathon there will be really exciting. I love the medal! Mostly I want to prove to myself that I can do it.

Hello HazelBee, welcome to the thread!

Looks like you have a great routine going already. Sounds great. When and where is your Half (out of interest). Really looking forward to report ;)

After your Half - make sure to recover well and I assume you're into the HHN1 program immediately afterwards.

I don't really have much else to say - you seem to know what you're doing. It was probably an excellent decision to postpone for a year as the time commitment is huge. I hope you'll have a great journey to October, looking forward to following your progress!

kabuxa wrote: »
    OK, this is how my week went...
    I know I am/should be given out but there has been no such thing as slow run.
    Monday - Gym (30 mins circuit)
    Tuesday - Star of the Sea 5k...
    Wednesday - Gym (30 mins circuit)
    Thursday - 8 mins @5k pace (so I was told to do but I think I was slower) + 10 x 1 min with 1 min recov
    Sunday - Frank Fagan Duathlon - Running only - 10 k + 3k

Next week - won't be pretty either but better... so here is my question... this is the plan

Monday - Gym (30 mins circuit)
    Tuesday - Dunboyne 5 mile
    Wednesday - Gym (30 mins circuit)
    Thursday - whatever we are told
    Saturday - IF I have done today 13k = 8 miles... I know it was split with 1h40.... should I aim for at least 8miles again?

When I look at the leaderboard I see some serious distances (not by me of course)... so I start to 'panic'.... If the marathon is almost 5 months away, should I get the 'rocket boots' on?

Another question... the heat almost killed me today.... but I always get very warm when I run... and I cannot take any more clothes! Any suggestion?

Thank you!

Hey Kabuxa, thanks for checking in.

You seem to be doing an awful lot of racing at the moment? 2 races last week, one race this week? That, combined with all these Circuits classes, sound like far too many hard days per week, and not enough easy days.

There's still a bit of leeway as we haven't started officially, but we're training for a marathon :) so I'd really like to see you start clocking up plenty of easy miles (build up endurance) instead of putting in all these hard days (expending it).

My recommendation would be to start winding all this hard stuff down and start focussing on easy miles. Miles make champions. What plan are you hoping to follow - I forgot to write it down. Just structure your weeks like the plans, and try get ahead of the curve with many easy miles clocked up mid-week and a long run at the weekend.

However, your post draws attention to something else. :eek:

The Strava group is great for getting to know your fellow novices, seeing their progress, and admiring how disciplined they are with regard to training paces. But there is a danger, and that is that you start comparing yourself with others and feel like you have to do more miles, faster miles, more time on feet, less time on feet, more elevation, etc. Don't.

So - here's this week's stern message for everybody:

Nobody is allowed to try and top the weekly Strava leaderboard.

In case the big, bold, red font didn't give it away... :D I am really serious about this. From some of the intro's posted by folks it's already clear that we have quite a blend of capabilities and experience in our group of Novices. No better way to ruin your chances in October by comparing yourself to runners that are ahead of you in terms of capabilities - and trying to better them. Let them do their thing, and everybody please focus on doing your own thing, follow the plan you have chosen, at the paces you have determined are your paces, at the days that suit you.

aceygray wrote: »
    In hot weather I always wet my hair with cold water before I go out - I think it keeps me cooler during running.

Here's my weekly check in:

Monday - fast mile
    Tuesday - 5.5 mile moderate pace
    Wednesday - 6 x 400m intervals
    Thursday - 3 miles easy
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 40 min tempo
    Sunday - 8 mile LSR

My LSR pace was much better this week - I really felt I could run the whole distance again when I finished. I did pick up the pace a bit in the last half mile or so, probably because I knew I was on the home straight. I'll try and watch that for next time.

Stretched & foam rolled after the LSR today. Honestly, I knew the foam rolling would hurt, but I didn't think it would hurt that much! I was nearly crying! I have a feeling I will be sore tomorrow, but at least I'm not running.

Ah - the foam roller. :D
    spaceylou wrote: »
    Weekly Check-In

Slow start to the week but happy to report I seem to have my mojo back :D

M: Rest with sports massage
    T: Rest (unplanned)
    W: 6.35k easy @ avg 6:47/km
    T: 5k easy @ avg 6:35/km
    F: Rest (planned)
    S: 9.34k LSR @ avg 7:02/km
    S: Some walking in early afternoon followed by 3.59k Rec run @ avg 6:59/km

Next two weeks:
    M: 5k easy plus swim and sauna if time
    T: Travel
    W - S & M - S: Walking holiday, no running but covering about 30k a day so shouldn't loose too much running fitness (I hope).

Glad to hear the mojo is back and enjoy your holidays.
    10.7m LSR today at 10:41 pace. I made a point of slowing it down even more than previous runs and it was definitely conversational pace. Didn't appreciate the lad shouting something at me from a cab though!

Weekly update:
    4 runs: Two 4m easy, one 5m threshold and the LSR. Total 24m, a bit down on previous week as I was in US for 2 days.

Good stuff slowing down!

Our resident heart-rate running expert is Firedance - hopefully she'll be able to answer your question.
    My weekly update (23rd-29th May)

Monday: 5 miles (9:48 min/mile)
    Tuesday: 8 miles (9:41 min/mile)
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday: 4 miles (9:12 min/mile)
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: 12 miles (11:08 min/mile)
    Sunday: rest

Weather-wise it was a lovely week for running. Not sure if it was the warm weather or tiredness but Saturday's long run felt more of a struggle than usual.

If I paced myself by heart rate, Tuesday's run would've been a bit hilarious. I was running along a narrow-ish path and a cyclist came up behind me and chose the exact moment he was passing me to suddenly scream into his phone:eek: I got such a shock that he's lucky I didn't knock him off his bike:D

My plan to figure out my cross-training plan this week never happened. Oh well.

Good work Pomplamousse - don't worry about missing the cross. If you have to skip a day, skip an easy / rec day and rest instead.

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Following on from a week of races it was back to the plan last week:

Monday: Morning: Gym - CX Worx Class and weight training. Evening: Speed session, 1 min hard, one min easy x20 reps.
    Tuesday: Pilates
    Wednesday: Morning: Gym - CX Worx Class and weight training. Evening: 7 Mile easy run.
    Thursday Rest Day (Saucony Stridelab & Sports massage)
    Friday: Rest day (Physio recommended an extra rest day after massage)
    Saturday: 25 mins of hill repeats
    Sunday: 8 mile LSR (I misread the plan, was only supposed to do 6!)

My physio recommended an easy week this week to allow my calves some rest ahead of the mini marathon & race series next week, so will be mainly swimming and cycling with maybe a very easy 5 mile run on Wednesday. It was during the mini marathon last year that I tore my left calf so don't want history to repeat itself :S

This sounds like a fine plan.. A bit of tapering ahead of a race is always a good thing. Are you already the proud owner of a foam roller? Otherwise, a tennis-ball or sliotar will also do wonders... (painful wonders, admittedly).

On the Strava note, as nop said, it's there to help motivate you and see how your fellow novices are doing. It's in no way a competition. I'm close to the top of that leaderboard but i have one marathon training cycle under my belt. When I came into the marathon training last year, I was barely doing 15 miles a week. I can manage 30+ now because I've spent since this time last year building that up slowly. I see a lot of you in the same position I was last year. Be patient. There's a big jump in mileage. You will be able to handle it if you train right. If you don't, well, you're
    going to have a bad time!

Focus on your plan and your goal. Don't worry about anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Classic21

Hi all,
    Finishing off the 5k series in Galway this week got under 20 for the third time so happy with that. I'm not racing this week so I did a longer run at the weekend than normal, I got 15 miles done. I am preparing for my last fast half at the end of June before starting to ready myself for serious training so I kept the pace higher (8.10/mile) than I will be training at for DCM.

Training going well but I know it will get tougher as I add more runs in June/July

Szilvike wrote: »
    Hi nop98,

You might have not seen my introducing post on 25-05-2016, 23:18... I can't wait for my welcoming post! :)

Thanks in advance

Hi Szilvike - I did indeed, my apologies!
    Szilvike wrote: »
    Hi, I'd like to join too! :) I started running about a year ago, and totally fell in love, so now the marathon is a big dream of mine.

**Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

I haven't yet, somehow never really felt like it. I prefer running in quiet parts of Phoenix Park :)
    If that matters, so far my fastest 5K was 25.59, fastest 10K 58.40, fastest half-marathon distance 2.07.47
    I'd like to be a bit faster, but am trying to be patient (and I know women are generally slower).

**Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No.

**How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

I had been having shin splints between February and April, so during this period I was able to do only very little running. Since the pain is gone, I gradually went back to my usual 25mi/week, 4 days of running. 2 weeks ago started the marathon training plan, at the moment I have 4 runs a week, about 28 miles, and one day cross training – for this I picked spinning classes. 2-3 times a week I do some core strengthening exercises as well.

**What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I'd just like to finish it in whatever time, without any walking.

**How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

5-6 days
    I follow the plan that Runcoach.com made for me based on my previous tracked runs during this past year.

**Why are you running this marathon?
    Want to prove myself that I can do it! :)

So far I've been always running alone, and I like that a lot actually, but lately started to feel it might be good to have company for my long runs at least. You guys mentioned some club or group, where could I find these? I mean I know there are running groups around the city, but the ones I found when googled just organize certain runs that don't fit in my plan. Also all of us follow different plans, have different pace, how do you find people who you can actually run with...?

P.S. Sorry I don't know how to make the questions bold! :)

Hi Szilvike - welcome to the thread!

Glad to hear you're enjoying your running, and also that running alone at least doesn't seem to bother you. Many folks (that don't run much) always tell me that they find running so boring, that they need to listen to audio-books / playlists / whatever. I love running by myself too with only my thoughts to occupy me - that said, running with company is just another dimension of fun.

Quick feedback on your routine. Not sure if I would recommend a spinning class as cross-training - can you really describe that as an easy workout? Remember, cross training is meant to be an easy day, keep the body ticking over while you recover from the week. Not bust-your-gut-workout day.

Can I tempt you with the boards plan? 25 mi/week is a solid base to work from, I'd just add a fifth day of running in the week at recovery pace.

I hope you'll consider the Race Series events, if you haven't raced before, you really want to get some experience running in a large group, believe me, the first few miles of DCM are really, really busy.

As for a running group, there's a virtual group on Strava for the DCM 2016 Novices. Last year, a few of the Novices got together for some of the LSRs - we organized it ourselves through the thread. The first time, IIRC there was two groups with different distances and paces, in Phoenix Park. Someone will have to grab the bull by the horn! :)

Welcome to the thread - good luck!

Weekly Check-in

MONDAY: On Monday, I was thrilled. I posted here that having Mondays off made the decision to start the plan early an easy one - I can't help but think that the plan was built with this in mind. So Monday came and went and I did exactly what the plan told me to do on my little spreadsheet: rest.

TUESDAY: Tuesdays have us doing three milers, at least to start off with. The entire plan is in miles as it hails from America, a fact that annoys and confuses my European brain. However, google tells me that the run lengths for the first few weeks, by some miracle, almost exactly match the lengths I'm currently doing anyway. The short runs are three miles long, which google tells me is a handy 4.8km, very close to my 5k runs. The long runs vary every week, but the first one is 6 miles, which google says is in or around 9.6km, almost perfectly matching my 10k runs. I ran my ~5k in 28 minutes, as the plan said to run slowly to build up stamina. I foolishly thought this meant I was in for an easy ride, but what I failed to take into account was the fact that slower runs mean a longer overall time spent exercising.

WEDNESDAY: Wednesday was identical to Tuesday, an easy run of the same length. Despite going as slow as I could without feeling foolish, I somehow shaved a minute off my time from yesterday - 27 minutes.

THURSDAY: Thursday again was an identical length and intensity. The chart is even colour coded for intensity, something I hadn't before taken into consideration. I again somehow shaved a minute off my time to reach my front door after having left it only 26 minutes prior.

FRIDAY: Friday was meant to be a rest day, but seeing as how we need to do a day of cross training a week, and the fact that I had planned to go swimming with my aunt today, and add in the fact that I know nothing about cross training, I figured that Friday could be my CT day. I swam 30 lengths of a 20 metre pool in total - 10 backstroke, 10 legkicks, and 10 backstroke to finish off. In all it took me 25 minutes.

SATURDAY: Since I didn't take my rest day on Friday, I decided that today would be my chance, and spent the day visiting relatives. There's more resting on this plan than I had on my homemade weekly plan, but apparently that's when the muscles develop according to Hal Higdon's website.

SUNDAY: I did my first LSR on Sunday, 10k and it took me 68 minutes. I posted on here yesterday worrying that it might've been too slow, but was assured it was not. Which is fantastic because I honestly felt like I could have kept up that pace forever, which - as nop98 says - is exactly the point.

Good week all round! I might be cheeky here and plug my blog - I've been blogging about the marathon training since October and most of this write up actually comes from there, I just copied and pasted the majority of it here. If anyone wants to give it a quick once over, it can be found here:

https://runintherainblog.wordpress.com/

Cheers! :)
    I think someone's going to get in trouble for running waaaay to fast :D
    I won't tell Nop

Ha ha SDD - thanks for pointing that out (struggling a little with the volume of posts TBH)...

That agreed, FDJM gets some credit back for running a nice slow 10k as LSR. SausageDogDave's point is valid tho, the easy runs are not about time and pace. They are for clocking up miles (what's that saying again? Oh yeah, miles make champions).

FITZA wrote: »
    Still in the 'routine' of the marathon plan, last week's training.... a sort of step back week :)
    Monday - rest
    Tuesday - 5.5k @ 6.06/k pace
    Wednesday - 8k @ 6.11/k pace
    Thursday - 5.5k @ 6.00/k pace
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 13k @ 5.52/k pace
    Sunday - Climbed Lugnaquilla - 4 hours (including stops)

I plan to follow Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan and I have entered the HM in Tullamore on August 27th and the 3/4's in Longwood on 9th October and they fit in exactly the weekends that the plan recommends for HM and 20miler...I had hoped to do the dcm race series but the race dates didn't fit with the plan. My plan starts 27th June and I hope to follow it exactly, all going well :)

I hope to run 20k next Saturday and I haven't needed to drink or eat anything before (longest run 18.5k) however I do want to get used to fueling...should I start doing it now (even though I'm not sure I need it) or is it best to only fuel when you need it? Advice appreciated :)

Other than running your longest run the fastest :eek: that looks like a decent week :)

20k looks like a bit of a jump in LSR distance? Make sure to increase the weekly mileage gradually and not more than 10%. As the other posts, add to both the mid-week easy stuff and the LSR.

Yes to this. It'll take a few attempts to get this right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

So I'm struggling to get out in the evenings (and at weekends) because of work/family/painting etc so I decided to give this morning running lark a go. Out today at 5.30am with a nice set of 250m repeats with a 250 jog recovery. All going good and all in between 53sec and 59sec until the last 2. Battery in watch went for repeat's 9 and 10. Still got out and got it done

Advertisement