Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Muppet wrote: »
    That average heart rate reading doesn't look right.

There's about a 3 minute gap where no HRM data were recorded...maybe that's what's' throwing it out of whack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Hope you are all enjoying training in this glorious weather here's some inspiration (well for me anyway)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99906594&postcount=1459

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There's about a 3 minute gap where no HRM data were recorded...maybe that's what's' throwing it out of whack.

perhaps, see firedance post above about wetting the strap etc those readins indicate it wasn't working properly.

The average pace and average moving pace look like you stopped running for a period.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

perhaps, see firedance post above about wetting the strap etc those readins indicate it wasn't working properly.

The average pace and average moving pace look like you stopped running for a period.

Yeah, there's a gap in the HRM graph, elevation and pace are there all the way through. I don't think HRM training is for me, fwiw.

This is from last week, didn't have the HRM on me then. Do these figures make more sense? Thanks for the posts, btw.
    May 25th

38:15
    Time
    Moving Time
    Elapsed Time
    12:17 min/mi
    Avg Pace
    12:17 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace
    9:41 min/mi
    Best Pace

May 24th

33:18
    Time
    Moving Time
    Elapsed Time
    10:37 min/mi
    Avg Pace
    Avg Moving Pace
    8:47 min/mi
    Best Pace

Yeah, there's a gap in the HRM graph, elevation and pace are there all the way through. I don't think HRM training is for me, fwiw.

This is from last week, didn't have the HRM on me then. Do these figures make more sense? Thanks for the posts, btw.

No. probs. There appears to be something amiss in all those . Average pace is your average pace for the run, Average moving pace is your average pace for the time your watch thinks you are moving .

Avg Pace 12:17 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace 9:41 min/mi

I just know from my own stats there is normally only a few second difference between my average pace and average moving pace.

My bad scrap that I was reading your stats wrong.. I just noticed the The time is above the heading in the stats you posted, They all look good except for the heart rate one in your first post

Avg Pace 10:37 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace. 10:37 min/mi

Avg Pace 12:17 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace 12:17 min/mi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

My bad scrap that I was reading your stats wrong.. I just noticed the The time is above the heading in the stas you posted, They all lokk good except for teh heart rate in your first post

Avg Pace
    Avg Moving Pace

If it helps I made the exact same mistake!

If it helps I made the exact same mistake!

Its the heat Max , has our heads melted

[Dougal] We're all going to heaven lads, waheey [/Dougal] :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭All or nothing

Re blisters.

1000 mile socks is the solution , prevention is better than cure. Never had a sign of a blister until I didn't wear them one evening run and got a nasty blister. I wear them ever since and no blisters.

Thanks Muppet,

I'll give those 1000 mile socks a go see if they help. I've tried different socks, different shoes still the same result

Thanks Muppet,

I'll give those 1000 mile socks a go see if they help. I've tried different socks, different shoes still the same result

The Ones I wear are called athletic fusion, They cost €16 a pair in Elverys but I'd imagine most good sports shops would stock them.

If you do get them let us know if they work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Fbjm wrote: »
    You ran a marathon in 5hrs 15mins with no training??

Yeah.... "ran"! Was more like hopping the last few miles as one of my legs gave out. Was young at time and cycling and playing football so guess I must have had a base and just finished it on determination & will power!

Again, a ridiculous idea and not to be recommended! Really enjoying the training at the moment, hard not to when the weather is so nice :)

I'm doing an IMRA.ie mountain run once a week at the moment. They have a summer league on Wednesday evenings for anyone that's interested.

Go team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Had to miss my run today, can't fit it in tomorrow either due to untimely job interviews. Should I just count it as a loss or should I try and fit it in over the weekend? I'm thinking that I might use tomorrow afternoon for cross training or something and then that way I could run on Sunday instead. I'm following the HHN1 plan.

Forget about it and move on don't start trying to chase miles it could lead to injury.

Dropped something heavy on my big toe, it's bruised and sore. D'oh. Tidying instead tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭babaracus

A +1 to the 1000 mile socks suggestion. Have been using them for 2 years and they are a good sock and do last.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SausageDogDave

Had to miss my run today, can't fit it in tomorrow either due to untimely job interviews. Should I just count it as a loss or should I try and fit it in over the weekend? I'm thinking that I might use tomorrow afternoon for cross training or something and then that way I could run on Sunday instead. I'm following the HHN1 plan.

I'm sure you could get up an hour earlier tomorrow morning if you really wanted too:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Great thread with great advice, thanks for all the super info so far, I've read it all and signed up for October ;o)

I'm surprised how much I have enjoyed the slow running with no headphones, maybe it's the good weather at the moment!

Small caveat, I did a marathon 16 years ago, sort of! I didn't train at all and just turned up on the day as I figured that would be more of a challenge. Clearly a ridiculous idea looking back now and not to be recommended at all. So this will be my first time actually training so hopefully I can fit in here.

I'm building my base back up and running around 20kms per week at the moment. Here's my details....

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    DCM 2000 5hrs 15mins
    Great Ireland Run 10K 2007 44mins
    Great Ireland Run 10K 2014 54mins
    Kildare 1/2 Marathon 2014 1hr 57mins
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week.
    Ramping back up after some time off. But here's where I've gotten too...
    Bootcamp twice a week
    Mountain run (apx 8k) once a week
    Jog in Phoenix Park, 10k twice a week.
    What do you want to achieve?
    Roll back the middle age spread and get back into shape, my 10k time has slowed down by 10mins over the last few years. Also, Oprah has currently run a marathon 45 minutes faster than me so I'd like to get that off my record ;o)
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I'm looking at doing the Boards 2016 plan for now but I'd like to research the two plans a little more
    Why are you running this marathon?
    As above, to get my fitness back, to get me out running regularly, to be fit and healthy, oh, and of course, to beat Oprah ;o)
    Thanks again for all the advice so far, it's been a great read.

Keep on running,
    BigAl

Hey BigAl81 - welcome to the thread.

Running your first marathon unprepared - that sounds like world of pain from about Terenure onwards...? But I am glad that you bring that perspective to the thread - and that you're now aiming to prepare for it properly. Beating Oprah is as good a goal as any :) It sounds like you are already adapting some excellent habits, e.g. running slow, no headphones, and most of all, enjoying it.

As with most "welcome" posts, the most important thing for you right now is to shape your training a little more towards the marathon plans. I'd add an easy mid-week run of 4-5M (6-8km) and I would also strongly urge you to build towards longer distances at the weekend. Maybe one of your bootcamp sessions will have to give way?

Are you planning to continue the IMRA runs come July? I imagine it's fabulous now the weather has picked up. Just wondering how you plan to fit them in once the plan starts.

Let me know what plan you decide on. Boards is excellent but you might find the LSR distances to increase very quickly - something to keep in mind and start preparing for.

The very best of luck!

Forget about it and move on don't start trying to chase miles it could lead to injury.

A big +1 to Coffee Fulled Runner's pragmatic advice (I keep having to correct the auto-corrected spelling :)). Forcing in your runs is a recipe for injury.

It has been said many times on the thread already - don't sweat it too much if you can't fit it one of your weekly runs. Don't try and "make up" the mileage by doing longer runs that week, or by adding an extra run the week after. Enjoy the day off running, nail your job interview, and you'll be feeling fully energized for your next outing.

One exception to this is for the long run. If it looks like you might not be able to get out on (say) the Saturday you had planned, try and re-work your week so you run long on Friday or Sunday instead. Sacrifice an easy or cross day for it, if needed.
    I'm sure you could get up an hour earlier tomorrow morning if you really wanted too:pac:

This is obviously true, too :) but if it adds too much pressure / stress to the day, don't. You'll need your sleep, too - and when we're getting to 3+ hours long runs, you'll be looking for tricks like this to squeeze them in.

Dropped something heavy on my big toe, it's bruised and sore. D'oh. Tidying instead tonight.

Oh man. Chrislad, didn't you do something similar last year? Dubgal imposed a "no moving heavy stuff" moratorium on us during the last few weeks last year. It's a little early to start that already! :)

• Advertisement

nop98 wrote: »
    A big +1 to Coffee Fulled Runner's pragmatic advice (I keep having to correct the auto-corrected spelling :)). Forcing in your runs is a recipe for injury.

It has been said many times on the thread already - don't sweat it too much if you can't fit it one of your weekly runs. Don't try and "make up" the mileage by doing longer runs that week, or by adding an extra run the week after. Enjoy the day off running, nail your job interview, and you'll be feeling fully energized for your next outing.

One exception to this is for the long run. If it looks like you might not be able to get out on (say) the Saturday you had planned, try and re-work your week so you run long on Friday or Sunday instead. Sacrifice an easy or cross day for it, if needed.

This is obviously true, too :) but if it adds too much pressure / stress to the day, don't. You'll need your sleep, too - and when we're getting to 3+ hours long runs, you'll be looking for tricks like this to squeeze them in.
    To add to what I said I would advise when your plan kicks in fully and have a important 30km run. If you can't do it on Saturday or Sunday try and get it done on Monday at the latest but adjust your plan accordingly and reduce your millage that week as you'll be hitting another long run the following Sunday. You want to keep a minimum of 6 days between your long runs. I'm open to correction on this strategy but those long runs are very important. At this stage where most are base building just move on and forget about it.

Oh man. Chrislad, didn't you do something similar last year? Dubgal imposed a "no moving heavy stuff" moratorium on us during the last few weeks last year. It's a little early to start that already! :)

Oh man this is something I fully agree with it was exactly this kind of shïtehawking that ruled me out of DCM last year when I was tapering. If you get asked to help out with some stupid odd job be a selfish arse hole and say no.

I was moving a desk, only wearing slippers. So yeah, smart move. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Four miles done and in work for 0710 this morning.....could be a sign of things to come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Third Time Lucky (I Hope)

Hi guys and gals,

Good to see the thread up and running and fair play to all of you committing to this. I was on board the 2014 novice plan when Ososlo was mentor and was all guns blazing when injury struck. I remember being told to SLOW down my runs but I continued to run at a low 3 hour pace. My body said enough and just stopped functioning while running.

Last year I was training whan I got injured playing 5 a side so that was that!! Since then I have knocked the football and learned to respect the distance and finally running at a much slower pace on my LSRs

I'm a little late to the party but here we go again :)

I have been running for 4 years now below are my PBs.

5km @ 21 minutes
    10km @ 42 minutes
    10mile @ 1:22:52
    Dublin Half @ 1:38:12

Do you still need to take walk breaks while training?

No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week.

I'm currently running 4 days a week and my LSR this Sunday will be 13 miles

I just want to run a marathon. I love running especially since I started to slow down my runs.

How may days a week can you train? What plan do you intend to follow?

4 - 5 days a week and I will use the Hals plan

Why are you running a marathon?

26.2 miles is a tough ask and I just want to cross the finish line. BigAl81 mentioned Oprah's time so beating that is a must 8-)

Best of luck to all the 2016 novices, I look forward to reading all your posts and any advice from Nop98 and the experienced runners is most welcome.

Woohoo numbers for the Race Series in the post today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It was more building about 10 Ikea sets in about 2 days, along with clearing out a shed! I was stiff all over!

Good run this morning. Days are slightly out of sequence, so I still have another 3m tomorrow and then the lsr, probably Sun. That leaves cross for Mon...no rest if I'm to get back on the horse on Tues. Might do a slow park run tomorrow just to try a new location.

Left my granola in the oven for too long, so it's quite brown. :pac: Fortunately, it was at 160, not 180.

Away for the bank hol, enjoy and happy novicing. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭aceygray

My race series numbers arrived today. Are there many others doing the 5 miler next Sunday?

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    Third Time Lucky (I Hope)

Hi guys and gals,

Good to see the thread up and running and fair play to all of you committing to this. I was on board the 2014 novice plan when Ososlo was mentor and was all guns blazing when injury struck. I remember being told to SLOW down my runs but I continued to run at a low 3 hour pace. My body said enough and just stopped functioning while running.

Last year I was training whan I got injured playing 5 a side so that was that!! Since then I have knocked the football and learned to respect the distance and finally running at a much slower pace on my LSRs

I'm a little late to the party but here we go again :)

I have been running for 4 years now below are my PBs.

5km @ 21 minutes
    10km @ 42 minutes
    10mile @ 1:22:52
    Dublin Half @ 1:38:12

Do you still need to take walk breaks while training?

No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week.

I'm currently running 4 days a week and my LSR this Sunday will be 13 miles

I just want to run a marathon. I love running especially since I started to slow down my runs.

How may days a week can you train? What plan do you intend to follow?

4 - 5 days a week and I will use the Hals plan

Why are you running a marathon?

26.2 miles is a tough ask and I just want to cross the finish line. BigAl81 mentioned Oprah's time so beating that is a must 8-)

Best of luck to all the 2016 novices, I look forward to reading all your posts and any advice from Nop98 and the experienced runners is most welcome.

Hi GOOSEPAUL, welcome to the thread. You're not late, we're starting the programs in a few weeks. Keep building up slowly in the meantime.

You've said it all, really. Somebody already inquired after playing 5-a-side (not recommended because of the injury-risk) and running at a low pace for all/most of your training runs is a recurring theme in this thread.

Low 3-hour pace :eek:, wowzers, no wonder the body decided to overrule you!

No doubt, having learned the hard lesson and found enjoyment in running slow (and as long as the weather stays nice!), you'll have a decent chance this third time around. You mention Hal's plan, is that Hal Higdon Novice 1? With your mileage and 4 years running, consider the boards plan?

Very best of luck, hope to see you get to the start line in one piece this time.

• Advertisement

Good article here regarding hydration.

http://irishrunner.com/running-dry-3/

Looking over my notes, we have 45 Novices on board so far! :pac::pac:

I'm really enjoying the weekly reports, I may not get to respond to all of them, but it is great to see you all sharing your progress and experiences, and generally helping each out out.

3 1/2 weeks to go until the start of our training plans. Keep building those miles, keep slowing down, keep listening to your bodies and most of all, keep enjoying it. Not too hard, I would think, with the lovely weather we're enjoying at the moment! :cool::cool:

I'll be AFK for a couple of days, so happy running and don't forget to apply the suncream! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Yes, received my race series number today, did you notice the lack of safety pins (or maybe it was just my pack!)? Looking forward to Irish Runner 5 mile.

Nop98, managed to get my weekly mileage up to 20 miles for the last three weeks, even did 10 miler earlier as away for bank holiday. Btw when should I fit my long run in next wk (from Monday) given I have 5 miler on 11th?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

aceygray wrote: »
    My race series numbers arrived today. Are there many others doing the 5 miler next Sunday?

I am. Got my race number today, I'm skipping the 10k due to a holiday.
    Let me know if you fancy a quick Boards introduction before the 5 mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Received my race numbers yesterday. I'm doing 5,10 mile and half. Count me in for a board's introduction.

Nop98 I will change to the Boards plan and see how it goes

Also doing the 5 mile 10 mile and 1/2....coming back from holidays the day of the 10k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I'm on week 2 of the HHN1 so my LSR was 12km today. It really took it out of me! Is 1:35 slow enough for that distance? I tried to follow the advice of running slow enough to carry on a conversation, but by kilometre 11 or so I was in no form to chat. And that was only a quarter or so the distance of a marathon... christ. Thank god I started the Higdon plan early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm on week 2 of the HHN1 so my LSR was 12km today. It really took it out of me! Is 1:35 slow enough for that distance? I tried to follow the advice of running slow enough to carry on a conversation, but by kilometre 11 or so I was in no form to chat. And that was only a quarter or so the distance of a marathon... christ. Thank god I started the Higdon plan early.

That's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string? :D It will be different for everyone. I'd say it's pretty normal to tire after 90 minutes of running if you're not accustomed to running for that long, but it sounds like you kept it pretty slow which is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Have to watch out for the heat when the weather is like that today made sure you're hydrated have you worked out what your easy pace is if you averaged that every mile then you're doing ok but everyone's time is different so you will need to understand your own pace range to work out if 1.35 is ok.

• Advertisement

I am doing the Waterford marathon (as a novice) as a prequel to Dublin in October so I am more advanced in marathon training. I did 20.2 miles this morning. 14 weeks ago the longest I had ever run was 10 miles and I had only done that once! I was a regular 8-10k runner though. Stick with the plan and take it slow and you will get there no bother. 15 weeks ago if somebody had told me I could run 20 miles I would have been very sceptical but I am living proof of the fact that if you follow the programme you will get there. As somebody said earlier in the thread you eventually find a rythym which you can sustain for ages and ages. You will get there.

3 things I learned today:

Sun is tough, jesus it was hot. I stuck to the shade for a lot of it which saved me I think. But I think I prefer sun to wind. It was dead calm and that is a damn sight easier than a breeze. I have grown to hate wind!

Factor 50 + sweat = stinging eyes! Maybe some vaseline on the eyebrows next time might help.

The dreaded nipple chafe is a curse. I am male btw. I piled on the vaseline beforehand but that didn't last long enough. Any of our more experienced members ever stick a plaster over them? Maybe a bit TMI but I need help and I think dignity goes out the window for me at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

babaracus wrote: »
    I am doing the Waterford marathon (as a novice) as a prequel to Dublin in October so I am more advanced in marathon training. I did 20.2 miles this morning. 14 weeks ago the longest I had ever run was 10 miles and I had only done that once! I was a regular 8-10k runner though. Stick with the plan and take it slow and you will get there no bother. 15 weeks ago if somebody had told me I could run 20 miles I would have been very sceptical but I am living proof of the fact that if you follow the programme you will get there. As somebody said earlier in the thread you eventually find a rythym which you can sustain for ages and ages. You will get there.

Sun is tough, jesus it was hot. I stuck to the shade for a lot of it which saved me I think. But I think I prefer sun to wind. It was dead calm and that is a damn sight easier than a breeze. I have grown to hate wind!

Factor 50 + sweat = stinging eyes! Maybe some vaseline on the eyebrows next time might help.

The dreaded nipple chafe is a curse. I am male btw. I piled on the vaseline beforehand but that didn't last long enough. Any of our more experienced members ever stick a plaster over them? Maybe a bit TMI but I need help and I think dignity goes out the window for me at this stage!

I did a meagre 12k today and the heat was smothering, finding this heat hard work, my local Derry marathon is on tomorrow and i can only imagine it's going to be hard work. The forecasters are giving a hot day, organisers are providing showers at intervals apparently. First timers tomorrow will have to dig deep and prepare well.

nedsgarden wrote: »
    I did a meagre 12k today and the heat was smothering, finding this heat hard work, my local Derry marathon is on tomorrow and i can only imagine it's going to be hard work. The forecasters are giving a hot day, organisers are providing showers at intervals apparently. First timers tomorrow will have to dig deep and prepare well.

Yeah heat can be a total killer, without the shade I would have been pretty shagged I think. THis will stand to us...at the end of October it ain't going to be 20 degrees plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭All or nothing

I use transparent tape, the kind that's used for keeping wound dressings in place. Works well and comes off easily in the shower after. P20 is a good option for suncream too, doesn't run as much as ordinary suncream. Make sure you put it on well before you head out for your run, so it's well dried in.

I use transparent tape, the kind that's used for keeping wound dressings in place. Works well and comes off easily in the shower after. P20 is a good option for suncream too, doesn't run as much as ordinary suncream. Make sure you put it on well before you head out for your run, so it's well dried in.

2 great tips...cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

kabuxa wrote: »
    OK, this is how my week went...
    I know I am/should be given out but there has been no such thing as slow run.
    Monday - Gym (30 mins circuit)
    Tuesday - Star of the Sea 5k...
    Wednesday - Gym (30 mins circuit)
    Thursday - 8 mins @5k pace (so I was told to do but I think I was slower) + 10 x 1 min with 1 min recov
    Sunday - Frank Fagan Duathlon - Running only - 10 k + 3k

Next week - won't be pretty either but better... so here is my question... this is the plan

Monday - Gym (30 mins circuit)
    Tuesday - Dunboyne 5 mile
    Wednesday - Gym (30 mins circuit)
    Thursday - whatever we are told
    Saturday - IF I have done today 13k = 8 miles... I know it was split with 1h40.... should I aim for at least 8miles again?

When I look at the leaderboard I see some serious distances (not by me of course)... so I start to 'panic'.... If the marathon is almost 5 months away, should I get the 'rocket boots' on?

Another question... the heat almost killed me today.... but I always get very warm when I run... and I cannot take any more clothes! Any suggestion?

Thank you!

Hey Kabuxa, thanks for checking in.

You seem to be doing an awful lot of racing at the moment? 2 races last week, one race this week? That, combined with all these Circuits classes, sound like far too many hard days per week, and not enough easy days.

There's still a bit of leeway as we haven't started officially, but we're training for a marathon :) so I'd really like to see you start clocking up plenty of easy miles (build up endurance) instead of putting in all these hard days (expending it).

My recommendation would be to start winding all this hard stuff down and start focussing on easy miles. Miles make champions. What plan are you hoping to follow - I forgot to write it down. Just structure your weeks like the plans, and try get ahead of the curve with many easy miles clocked up mid-week and a long run at the weekend.

However, your post draws attention to something else. :eek:

The Strava group is great for getting to know your fellow novices, seeing their progress, and admiring how disciplined they are with regard to training paces. But there is a danger, and that is that you start comparing yourself with others and feel like you have to do more miles, faster miles, more time on feet, less time on feet, more elevation, etc. Don't.

So - here's this week's stern message for everybody:

Nobody is allowed to try and top the weekly Strava leaderboard.

In case the big, bold, red font didn't give it away... :D I am really serious about this. From some of the intro's posted by folks it's already clear that we have quite a blend of capabilities and experience in our group of Novices. No better way to ruin your chances in October by comparing yourself to runners that are ahead of you in terms of capabilities - and trying to better them. Let them do their thing, and everybody please focus on doing your own thing, follow the plan you have chosen, at the paces you have determined are your paces, at the days that suit you.

Hi Nop... I know I was racing a lot, I mentioned it.. from now I only have signed up to 5 miler and RnR. Most of tbe other Dublin series don't suit me. And you are right. Lets face it.. for me racing is a SLR with lots of friends. It is more the 'party' thing.. I know my 'limitations'
    But you are right.
    Regarding the Strava thread... I do not compare myself with anyone.. I usually am not competitive at all (the limitations comment kicks in here too) it is the amount on mileage so early on. Maybe I am too relaxed about it. And fair play for those distances
    We are starting long distance now. We did yesterday and eventhough slow suits us...it is funny to see how you speed up when you are chatting away.

Thanks a lot!!!!

• Advertisement

Decent week under my belt this week.

Monday 3.9 miles at 9:15/mile nice loop around The Estuary in Swords/Malahide...Nice stretch of the legs afrer the long run last Sunday and standing for 4 hours at The Boss.

Wednesday 9.9 miles at 8:41/mile route from Swords to Portmarnock and back....warm enough as was out just after 1600....threw some water over myself and got a drink just before coming back into Malahide.

Friday same loop as Monday @ 7:27/mile wanted to get a bit of a quicker run in and was done and dusted and in work for 0710

Sunday 10.9miles at 08:55/mile....loop from Palmerstown around the Phoenix Park and back home....lovely morning for a run. Some amount of cars going into Bloom even early this morning.

Probably need to slow the longer runs a little as had blindly got used to running them too fast before the advice on here, I will call it a work in progress just now.

Planning on getting out Tuesday and Thursday during the week before the 5 mile at the weekend.

Enjoy the rest of your bank holiday weekend fellow novices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I've found wearing a base layer type of top helps as there is a lot less movement or rubbing; so far I've never had an issue, there are also specific plaster's for nipple's (I assume they are shaped to fit the average nipple) but no idea if they are better or worse than using a standard plaster or tape.

No run's report from me this week. Put simply I did about 8km on Monday, then about 2km and felt a bit off but put that down to using a treadmill in a really hot gym (I was meeting friends in town later on so it was handiest to use the gym for a short run then not do anything) , I'd signed up for a local 5km race on the Wednesday and had a few more runs planned for the rest of the week, followed up with a another short run on Sat and a LSR today. Anyways I woke up on Wednesday morning and my sinus's were in rag order, which then developed into a chest infection. It's seem to be dying down but taking the advice of illness below the neck and not running, I can confidently say I'm bored to off my head, I'm tempted to do an easy run later on just to see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Weekly Check-In

5 Runs, 4 Easy, 1 Long for about 36 Miles total
    Monday: 6.5 @8:28
    Tuesday, Wednesday: 5 Treadmill @ 8:30ish
    Friday: 7 @ 8:30
    Sunday: 13 (almost) @ 8:24.

Much better week, feet still not perfect but a solid week put down. Mixing up the runs a bit more is helping with 2 treadmill and about half the lsr completed on grass. More of the same next week hopefully.

Fairly bog standard week for me again. My weekly millage is creeping up but I've two race races planned for the next two weekends so it will drop off a bit along with the pace.
    Monday easy 60 minutes
    Tuesday 7x 1km tempo with 500 meter recovery
    Wednesday easy 60 again
    Thursday easy 50 minutes
    Friday 1mile easy 1 mile tempo 1 mile race pace x2
    Saturday easy 20km
    Sunday off

My week

Day|Activity|Details|Distance in Miles|Time Minutes
    Monday|Cross Training| 50 minutes on the bike|
    Tuesday|Easy Run|5 miles easy avg Heart Rate131 bpm|5.09|54:40
    Wednesday|Session|6 miles easy avg Heart Rate 131 bpm |6.43|73:31
    Thursday|Easy Run|5 miles easy avg Heart Rate 127 bpm|5.06|58:58
    Friday|Rest|Rest
    Saturday|LSR|LSR took in Malahide parkrun in this which I ran at my current PMP 10:18 pace for the first time just to get used to not racing when in a group, It had the added bonus of adding a bit of variety to the LSR , I really enjoyed it Avg Heart Rate 135 (138 @ pmp)|11.8|136 mins
    Sunday|LSR|3 miles recovery run|3.00|
    Totals|||31:52 Miles|6.05 Hours

I am happy with my heart rate of 138 bpm during my *PMP pace at Malahide Parkrun yesterday. I felt really comfortable running at that pace of course it was only 5k so hopefully come marathon day I will be able to maintain it for 4.5 hours. Still unsure about what MY PMP will be so I'm working off 4:30 for now , I'll have a better idea after the race series.

• Advertisement
Advertisement