Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Hi All, hope it's not too late to join up! I started running consistently last October after a few failed attempts two years ago. I actually started with the C25K which went very well as I actually followed it correctly this time. On my failed attempts, I lost patience and wanted to run faster too quick. I have learned my lesson this time and haven't stopped running since then and have progressed nicely!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I have only entered a few races but I really enjoyed them and got a good feel for how things work in comparison to a training run. My PBs to date are.
    -5km, 24:41
    -Half marathon, 2:19, Feb 2016 (this was actually a training run which was supposed to be a shorter distance, I felt good as I was running nice and slow but that was a mistake, I wasn't ready and suffered for a good month after that and then got a bad chest infection which put me out for another bit so won't be making this mistake again!)
    -10km, 52:29, Jan 2016 - Milford 10K - I really enjoyed this run, I am from Limerick so it was great to get down home for this to join some family and friends on the run out in the grounds of UL which is an amazing place to go for a run! It was a poor day weather wise and the wind was pretty strong so I think on another day, I probably would have broke the 50 minute mark as I finished pretty strong.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I am currently doing 4 days, about 30k a week so I know I need to up the distance a good bit. I am planning to do some cycling for cross training.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Dream is to make the starting line, enjoy the run and finish it. I would love to break the 4hr mark but won't be worrying about that, guess I will know where I am at closer to the run and have a more realistic idea of where I am at then.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I can do 5 days a week if that is advised, I haven't decided what plan to follow but was thinking the Hal Higdon Novice 1 or 2. Will happily take on board any recommendations!

Why are you running this marathon?
    I have always dreamed of running one, my bother quit Fags 3 years ago and has become super fit since then. He is now doing triathlons and has completed a Half Ironman recently and has now committed himself to Ironman Lanzarote next year so I guess he has inspired me to get my a**e in gear!

I am very nervous and excited to be a part of this and looking forward to our journey together over the next 4 months :)

This week

4 Runs, about 17.5 miles in total. I really have to start increasing the mileage and use the advice on here of running slower which I think I managed to do pretty well this week in regards to slowing the runs down.
    Tuesday: 3.8k @5:10/km
    Thursday: 8.1km @ 6:02/km
    Saturday: 6.4km @ 6:56/km
    Sunday: 9.9km @ 6:30/km

Edit: Guess I am going to have to start getting used to using miles now so apologies for this, will start on the next run :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Antodoran136

Tuesday 7km pace 5.30
    Wednesday 7km 5.30pace
    Saturday 8.8km 5.35 pace
    Sunday 10km 5.35

First weeks training over and I'm while I'm happy enough with my total distance just can't keep thinking to myself will these plans work in time will I be ready fo the big one I've also s holiday start of August for two weeks as much as I do plan on getting my runs in over there it's defo going to knock me back a bit in my progress I'm so desperate to do this now that I've set my mind to it ...

Ps it was a bad week to start the plan weather wise sweat fest.com

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Antodoran136

tony1980 wrote: »
    This week

4 Runs, about 17.5 miles in total. I really have to start increasing the mileage and use the advice on here of running slower which I think I managed to do pretty well this week in regards to slowing the runs down.
    Tuesday: 3.8k @5:10/km
    Thursday: 8.1km @ 6:02/km
    Saturday: 6.4km @ 6:56/km
    Sunday: 9.9km @ 6:30/km

Edit: Guess I am going to have to start getting used to using miles now so apologies for this, will start on the next run :pac:

Very similar to where I'm at at the moment which plan are you following ? Guess we will just have to put our faith in the plans and stick with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Think I missed last week's update, so here's a two-week omnibus edition.

23rd May - 29th May
    Monday - 4 miles easy
    Tuesday - 6 miles w/ 4 x half miles at half marathon pace
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - 7 miles w/ 4 x 1 miles at marathon pace
    Friday - 10 miles general aerobic
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - Rest

Had a very busy week as I was moving house, so I had to chop and change the plan a bit. Ended up missing a 3 mile recovery run, but got everything else done. 27 miles for the week.

30th May - 5th June
    Monday- 6 miles w/ 4 x half miles at half marathon pace
    Tuesday - 4 miles easy
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - 7 miles w/ 1 x 2 miles and 2 x 1 miles at marathon pace
    Friday - 3 miles easy
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - 12 miles easy

Back to a normal routine this week, so I was able to follow the plan more closely. 32 miles for the week.

16 weeks to go for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Weekly update (30th May-5th June)

Monday: 5 miles (10:04 mins/mile)
    Tuesday: 8.15 miles (9:56 mins/mile)
    Wednesday: rest day
    Thursday: 3 miles (8:43 mins/mile)
    Friday: rest day, unless you count a 2 minute race to a bus stop, I caught the bus \o/
    Saturday: 14 miles (10:54 mins/mile)
    Sunday: rest day

I struggled with the heat for some of these runs but not for others, weird.
    Have been running at easy pace for the past few weeks so decided to try out a short PMP run this week on Thursday, which went quite well, if a bit too fast. I'm being optimistic and at the moment saying I'm training for a 4 hour marathon, but can picture myself needing to be a lot more cautious on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Weekly update with a couple of personal lessons learned.

Tue: 5m @ 9:43 pace

Wed: Threshold run, 10min easy, 20min at threshold pace, 5min recovery. Average 8:49 pace

Fri: 4m easy @ 9:51 pace. Lesson 1 on this run......make sure you "do your business" before heading out! Ran the last mile fully clenched :o

Sun: 13m @ 10:15 pace. Lesson 2......check for events before deciding to drive out to Phoenix Park for the first time, traffic going in was horrendous. Really enjoyed the run, but I did need to circle back to the car half way to refill water bottles. Also guilty of going a bit fast for the first 8 miles (even 10min pace), but I was trying to run by heart rate rather than pace so slowed down later to keep HR steady.

Oh, and I'm now fully converted to miles :)

Very similar to where I'm at at the moment which plan are you following ? Guess we will just have to put our faith in the plans and stick with them

No plan at the moment but thinking either the Hal Higdon Novice 1 or 2, whichever one I choose, I am not going to deviate from it as that's usually a recipe for disaster unless you are already running high mileage. I like The Muppet's approach, nice and patient, running off heartrate and nice slow long runs to allow for better recovery between runs.

I think the boards plan is probably too advanced for me at this stage so either one of the Hal Higdon training plans for me I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

My week....
    Monday - rest
    Tuesday - 6k @ 6.00 pace
    Wednesday - 10k - a bit of speed work (for 5k race 26th June) - 3k@5.50 pace, 5k@5.00 pace, 2k@6.35 pace
    Thursday - 6k @ 6.01 pace
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 20.5k @ 6.11 pace - on grass
    Sunday - 7k mountain walk : time 90 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

This week

I am finding this very difficult :(:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

6 days training last week. Monday and Friday where cross training. Tuesday Wednesday Thursday and Saturday running. Happy with this week even if it was only about 20 mile for the week. Can't wait for the SSE 5mile this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Firedance wrote: »
    rest day tomorrow playing golf....not sure I can count that as cross training.
    l.

Under no circumstances will golf be counted as cross training - I don't care what FBOT or tang1 says :pac:

Depends how good you are at it. When you carry your bag and take as many shots as Tang and I do then you can definitely count it....but if you use one of those auld man electric trolley like Ferris or have the gift like Yaboya then no it doesn't qualify ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Monday

Rest day

Tuesday

4.93 miles @ 9.14 avg

Wednesday

6.76 miles @ 8.37 avg

Thursday

Rest

Friday

3.51 miles. Felt sick and exhausted during this so the plan was to do 5 miles. Called it a day and went home to relax

Saturday

Swimming/cross

Sunday

LSR of 13.12 miles @ 9.02 avg pace

Delighted with LSR as this was my longest run this year. Plan was to try a gel at about miles for the first time. Started to feel a little sluggish at around 8 miles, took the gel (tropical fruit flavour) and wait to see what happened next. At around 9.5 - 10 miles I felt good again and enjoyed the run home. Decided to have a little chat to myself to see if I could talk and overall felt really good. Could have gone an extra mile or two.

Plan on doing a slow 5 mile today and 14.5 for my LSR this week. Should I continue to increase my mileage for my LSRS or start to focus on the marathon plan?

Some great weekly reports posted. Keep up the good work everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Weekly Check In:

Monday 30th - Rest after LSR on Sunday
    Tuesday 31st - 3.3M Easy
    Weds 1st - 5.2M Easy
    Thurs 2nd - Nothing
    Fri 3rd - Gym Session / 1.5M Treadmill
    Sat 4th - Nothing
    Sun 5th - 12.3M LSR 9.6 Min/M

Went out on LSR soon after 10AM yesterday and for 2nd half the heat had really come up so found it tough going. My last mile consisted of the long drag up and over Foster's Avenue from N11 to Goatstown so that really tested me.. not much conversing would have been happening! Yesterday's LSR really did make me realise that the marathon is going to be a long long slog and there is a lot of training needs in meantime. The slightly sub 4hr is perhaps some way off. Think best plan for a good H/M first...

Went down to Brittas Bay in afternoon to see wife and kids down at grannies mobile home, had a nice swim and that helped. Hip was sore going to bed but all back in order today. Will consider a short recovery run later to test out the body.

Very happy with how all is going - left foot does have all sorts of strange niggles but nothing that cannot be run thru.

Still kinda unsure what training plan I should be following and what's best to be doing for June and if I can continue some good gym work in meantime too.. Maybe Nop98 can help on that one?

Keep at it everyone.. Very enjoyable to come in and read everyone's stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Classic21

Long run this morning - 15 miles @ 8:30 pace. I pulled back the pace from last week (8:10) and the warm morning helped to slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Nice 18 holes of cross training this morning.....the handicap will not be coming down with this year with the running!
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    Depends how good you are at it. When you carry your bag and take as many shots as Tang and I do then you can definitely count it....but if you use one of those auld man electric trolley like Ferris or have the gift like Yaboya then no it doesn't qualify ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I did a 5k run as cross training today. That's legit, right? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Blister hasn't popped yet. Runs this week.

Tuesday: 3.06mi - Time: 36:37. Avg Pace: 11:57 min/mi
    Friday: 3.02 mi - Time: 36:39. Avg Pace: 12:08 min/mi
    Saturday: 3.06 mi - park run - really enjoyed just taking it handy, lay back and took it easy. Enjoyed the weather and the location, good spirit amongst the crowd. No safety briefing, just a few announcements, etc. Time: 31:48. Avg Pace: 10:27 min/mi
    Sunday - lsr day, threw on the sun cream after 9am and got out there. 7.01 mi - the furthest I've ever run. Time: 1:34:25. Avg Pace: 13:28 min/mi. I was tempted to speed up for the final mile, but knew not to otherwise you lot would be on my case. :pac: No complaints, in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭aceygray

Weekly check in -

Monday: cross (10 mins each on rowing machine & elliptical trainer, followed by myrtle routine)
    Tuesday: 6.5 miles moderate pace
    Wednesday: 10 x 200m intervals
    Thursday: 3.5 miles moderate pace
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Parkrun
    Sunday: 5.5 miles easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Antwerp wrote: »
    Yes, received my race series number today, did you notice the lack of safety pins (or maybe it was just my pack!)? Looking forward to Irish Runner 5 mile.

Nop98, managed to get my weekly mileage up to 20 miles for the last three weeks, even did 10 miler earlier as away for bank holiday. Btw when should I fit my long run in next wk (from Monday) given I have 5 miler on 11th?

Thanks

Hey Antwerp - good work on the mileage.

The 5M race (assuming you're racing it) should replace your long run. You'll add a mile warm up and a mile cool down, making it 7 miles, not too shabby.

Not sure how your week looks normally, but 2 (or 3, provided you run easy) mid-week runs should suffice. On Friday (or Saturday), go out for some very easy work and throw in 5 sets of strides towards the end. I'll post some more about race-prep during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    LSR of 13.12 miles @ 9.02 avg pace

Delighted with LSR as this was my longest run this year. Plan was to try a gel at about miles for the first time. Started to feel a little sluggish at around 8 miles, took the gel (tropical fruit flavour) and wait to see what happened next. At around 9.5 - 10 miles I felt good again and enjoyed the run home. Decided to have a little chat to myself to see if I could talk and overall felt really good. Could have gone an extra mile or two.

Plan on doing a slow 5 mile today and 14.5 for my LSR this week. Should I continue to increase my mileage for my LSRS or start to focus on the marathon plan?

What plan are you going to follow GP? You've a great mileage base going on there so you could probably hold the LR around the 14 or so miles and increase one the runs in the middle of the week by a mile or two for the coming weeks (depending which plan you're going to do). Well done on the gel practice too, it goes take a while for them to kick in, great practice for the runs to come.

Fbjm wrote: »
    I'm on week 2 of the HHN1 so my LSR was 12km today. It really took it out of me! Is 1:35 slow enough for that distance? I tried to follow the advice of running slow enough to carry on a conversation, but by kilometre 11 or so I was in no form to chat. And that was only a quarter or so the distance of a marathon... christ. Thank god I started the Higdon plan early.

Hey FBJM, I think that's fine. From your original notes, you should base your training on a 4h30 - 4h45 finish time. So this sounds like the slow end of easy-pace to me.

As Mrs Mc says, the heat can really affect things so don't be hard on yourself for "going to slow". What matters is that you stuck with it and clocked up the distance. Miles. Champions they maketh.

babaracus wrote: »
    I am doing the Waterford marathon (as a novice) as a prequel to Dublin in October so I am more advanced in marathon training. I did 20.2 miles this morning. 14 weeks ago the longest I had ever run was 10 miles and I had only done that once! I was a regular 8-10k runner though. Stick with the plan and take it slow and you will get there no bother. 15 weeks ago if somebody had told me I could run 20 miles I would have been very sceptical but I am living proof of the fact that if you follow the programme you will get there. As somebody said earlier in the thread you eventually find a rythym which you can sustain for ages and ages. You will get there.

3 things I learned today:

Sun is tough, jesus it was hot. I stuck to the shade for a lot of it which saved me I think. But I think I prefer sun to wind. It was dead calm and that is a damn sight easier than a breeze. I have grown to hate wind!

Factor 50 + sweat = stinging eyes! Maybe some vaseline on the eyebrows next time might help.

The dreaded nipple chafe is a curse. I am male btw. I piled on the vaseline beforehand but that didn't last long enough. Any of our more experienced members ever stick a plaster over them? Maybe a bit TMI but I need help and I think dignity goes out the window for me at this stage!

Hey barbacus,

You seemed to have gotten some great replies already, but since you've touched on the two subjects I happen to got the best tips on last year, allow me to elaborate too:

Nipple chafe is a total curse. Even if you manage to avoid the embarrassing red spots on the t-shirt, the shower afterwards is torture, at least it is for me.

I don't know who recommended it last year, but I got a role of kinesiology tape (the stretchy stuff) and on every run longer than say 8M/13k, I cut off a two small bits and apply them beforehand. Absolutely no bother since, and it comes off easy enough afterwards. I recall it not being cheap, but I got a role for 12-15e or so, and I am not even halfway through. On the day itself, I applied two layers (:rolleyes:) and it was fine.

And as for protecting your eyes from sweat mixed with whatever else, I sweat like a p1g (TMI, I know), obviously especially in weather like we're having now. I tried Vaseline but it didn't work for me. I got one of those cool-looking golf visors (headband with sun-cap) and it worked a treat, it sucks up all the sweat and protects your eyes. May not be for everyone as you do have to get used to wearing it while running.

Hi All, hope it's not too late to join up! I started running consistently last October after a few failed attempts two years ago. I actually started with the C25K which went very well as I actually followed it correctly this time. On my failed attempts, I lost patience and wanted to run faster too quick. I have learned my lesson this time and haven't stopped running since then and have progressed nicely!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I have only entered a few races but I really enjoyed them and got a good feel for how things work in comparison to a training run. My PBs to date are.
    -5km, 24:41
    -Half marathon, 2:19, Feb 2016 (this was actually a training run which was supposed to be a shorter distance, I felt good as I was running nice and slow but that was a mistake, I wasn't ready and suffered for a good month after that and then got a bad chest infection which put me out for another bit so won't be making this mistake again!)
    -10km, 52:29, Jan 2016 - Milford 10K - I really enjoyed this run, I am from Limerick so it was great to get down home for this to join some family and friends on the run out in the grounds of UL which is an amazing place to go for a run! It was a poor day weather wise and the wind was pretty strong so I think on another day, I probably would have broke the 50 minute mark as I finished pretty strong.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I am currently doing 4 days, about 30k a week so I know I need to up the distance a good bit. I am planning to do some cycling for cross training.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Dream is to make the starting line, enjoy the run and finish it. I would love to break the 4hr mark but won't be worrying about that, guess I will know where I am at closer to the run and have a more realistic idea of where I am at then.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I can do 5 days a week if that is advised, I haven't decided what plan to follow but was thinking the Hal Higdon Novice 1 or 2. Will happily take on board any recommendations!

Why are you running this marathon?
    I have always dreamed of running one, my bother quit Fags 3 years ago and has become super fit since then. He is now doing triathlons and has completed a Half Ironman recently and has now committed himself to Ironman Lanzarote next year so I guess he has inspired me to get my a**e in gear!

I am very nervous and excited to be a part of this and looking forward to our journey together over the next 4 months :)

Hey Tony1980 - welcome to the thread! :)

Not too late to join! We're not starting training programs until the end of June, so plenty of time to get up to speed and mileage.

I am glad you have learned (albeit the hardway) that sprinting out of the blocks might get you to 100m fast, but not the longer distances.

It looks like HHN1 might be something for you, it's 4 days a week, and you can throw in a couple of recovery miles the day after your long run if you so choose. I am glad to see you have no strong goal times in mind, best to work off a planned marathon pace (PMP) of 4h30 or thereabouts.

Your weekly structure is already solid so I have no much feedback at this stage. Looking forward to following your progress!

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    Friday

3.51 miles. Felt sick and exhausted during this so the plan was to do 5 miles. Called it a day and went home to relax

Hey Goosepaul -

Next time, don't even go out, if you feel like Friday. :) you might do more damage than good. I hope you're feeling better?

After your 13-miler, maybe consider a rest day? Don't overdo it yet! In the weeks until the start of the plan, I would slowly increase the distances on most of your runs, not just the LSR. Ideally, the long weekend run remains < 1/2 of the total weekly mileage. But since your at HM distance already, I wouldn't increase it any further yet. There'll be plenty of 13M+ runs to come. ;)

• Advertisement

Weekly Check In:

Monday 30th - Rest after LSR on Sunday
    Tuesday 31st - 3.3M Easy
    Weds 1st - 5.2M Easy
    Thurs 2nd - Nothing
    Fri 3rd - Gym Session / 1.5M Treadmill
    Sat 4th - Nothing
    Sun 5th - 12.3M LSR 9.6 Min/M

Went out on LSR soon after 10AM yesterday and for 2nd half the heat had really come up so found it tough going. My last mile consisted of the long drag up and over Foster's Avenue from N11 to Goatstown so that really tested me.. not much conversing would have been happening! Yesterday's LSR really did make me realise that the marathon is going to be a long long slog and there is a lot of training needs in meantime. The slightly sub 4hr is perhaps some way off. Think best plan for a good H/M first...

Went down to Brittas Bay in afternoon to see wife and kids down at grannies mobile home, had a nice swim and that helped. Hip was sore going to bed but all back in order today. Will consider a short recovery run later to test out the body.

Very happy with how all is going - left foot does have all sorts of strange niggles but nothing that cannot be run thru.

Still kinda unsure what training plan I should be following and what's best to be doing for June and if I can continue some good gym work in meantime too.. Maybe Nop98 can help on that one?

Keep at it everyone.. Very enjoyable to come in and read everyone's stories.

Hey paddydriver -

Looking over your initial post again - I think you should consider HHN1 as plan, but be less ambitious with finishing time / PMP. Something in the 4h30 ballpark. This means slowing down the long runs even further... HHN1 is a fine plan, it has gotten many novices to the starting line by slowly increasing the weekly mileage in steps.

For the time being, please add to your mid-week runs at the expense of your longer runs. If my tired arithmetic is accurate, your LSR was much more than your other runs combined (in terms of distance), and that should be the other way around.

I am a little nervous hearing about niggles and running through them, especially as you mentioned injury concerns. The rule of thumb is that you can run with a niggle provided it goes away / doesn't get any worse, but if you feel them all the time, you want to get it checked out.

I don't know about your post-run routine, but there's a lot of good stretching / maintenance routines posted already by Firedance - maybe something to consider in terms of injury prevention.

Glad to see your progress - but careful, easy does it!

Blister hasn't popped yet. Runs this week.

Tuesday: 3.06mi - Time: 36:37. Avg Pace: 11:57 min/mi
    Friday: 3.02 mi - Time: 36:39. Avg Pace: 12:08 min/mi
    Saturday: 3.06 mi - park run - really enjoyed just taking it handy, lay back and took it easy. Enjoyed the weather and the location, good spirit amongst the crowd. No safety briefing, just a few announcements, etc. Time: 31:48. Avg Pace: 10:27 min/mi
    Sunday - lsr day, threw on the sun cream after 9am and got out there. 7.01 mi - the furthest I've ever run. Time: 1:34:25. Avg Pace: 13:28 min/mi. I was tempted to speed up for the final mile, but knew not to otherwise you lot would be on my case. :pac: No complaints, in general.

I know, Firedance would have had you for lunch. :D

Well done on your longest run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

My week (30th - 5th)

Monday: Gym
    Tuesday: 8k Fast (for me) @ 5.15
    Wednesday: 6.2 Pace @ 5.43 & gym
    Thursday: 8k Fast @ 5.22
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: 12.2k slow @ 6.48 (the hills were a killer)

nop98 wrote: »
    I know, Firedance would have had you for lunch. :D

Well done on your longest run.

Who me?? nooooooo, I'm a pussycat :cool::D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭All or nothing

I did the half marathon in Cork yesterday. Very tough in that heat. I stuck with the 2hr Pacers as far as 8 miles. My pace dropped dramatically from 9 min miles to 11 min miles for the last couple then. Got home in 2:12. Allowing for the extra half mile we had to run I wasn't too disappointed. Way off a PB, but I doubt anyone got one yesterday. Off to Portugal now for a week so I might write a more detailed report down by the pool one morning if I'm not too busy sipping cocktails.

• Advertisement

Hey paddydriver -

Looking over your initial post again - I think you should consider HHN1 as plan, but be less ambitious with finishing time / PMP. Something in the 4h30 ballpark. This means slowing down the long runs even further... HHN1 is a fine plan, it has gotten many novices to the starting line by slowly increasing the weekly mileage in steps.

For the time being, please add to your mid-week runs at the expense of your longer runs. If my tired arithmetic is accurate, your LSR was much more than your other runs combined (in terms of distance), and that should be the other way around.

I am a little nervous hearing about niggles and running through them, especially as you mentioned injury concerns. The rule of thumb is that you can run with a niggle provided it goes away / doesn't get any worse, but if you feel them all the time, you want to get it checked out.

I don't know about your post-run routine, but there's a lot of good stretching / maintenance routines posted already by Firedance - maybe something to consider in terms of injury prevention.

This is worth repeating Paddydriver, I had done up a reply too but spotted nop was back. Even if you were going for a 4 hour marathon your Long Run pace was on the fast side. McMillan is giving 9:05-10:25 and we all recommend you (all) run on the slower end of those paces as they are not meant for novice marathoners. If you're adjusting to a 4:30 marathon (nop is right as usual) then you have a LR pace of 10:10-11:24.

Please please please slow down your long runs :) I promise it'll be a massive benefit to you on race day. Good work though, you're heading in the right direction for sure. :) (inserting smiles as nop is painting me as some sort of fire breathing dragon :D:D:D)

I did the half marathon in Cork yesterday. Very tough in that heat. I stuck with the 2hr Pacers as far as 8 miles. My pace dropped dramatically from 9 min miles to 11 min miles for the last couple then. Got home in 2:12. Allowing for the extra half mile we had to run I wasn't too disappointed. Way off a PB, but I doubt anyone got one yesterday. Off to Portugal now for a week so I might write a more detailed report down by the pool one morning if I'm not too busy sipping cocktails.

Well done in that heat!! it was a tough run by all accounts and great race practice. Have a rest now AOR and plenty of hydration/salt replenishment over the coming days and enjoy the holidays!

Just wondering what kind of stretching routine/foam rolling that most of you folks are using on here and if there is anyone good on Youtube to have a look at for this. I try to do some sort of stretching after runs (my own kind of routine that I remember from my footballing days) but I'd say I could make a huge improvement on my half ar**d attempt at it!

Hey Tony1980 - welcome to the thread! :)

Not too late to join! We're not starting training programs until the end of June, so plenty of time to get up to speed and mileage.

I am glad you have learned (albeit the hardway) that sprinting out of the blocks might get you to 100m fast, but not the longer distances.

It looks like HHN1 might be something for you, it's 4 days a week, and you can throw in a couple of recovery miles the day after your long run if you so choose. I am glad to see you have no strong goal times in mind, best to work off a planned marathon pace (PMP) of 4h30 or thereabouts.

Your weekly structure is already solid so I have no much feedback at this stage. Looking forward to following your progress!

Cheers nop98, I will take your advice and plan for the HHN1 so and work off a (PMP) of 4h30. I think for the next 2 weeks, I will gently bump up my mileage before the plan begins and then move on to the HHN1 for Monday, June 27th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Ran the Cork 'half' marathon yesterday, I ended up clocking 13.56 miles. Hadn't raced this distance since the Dublin HM this year and it reminded me to cop on RE times and to just pace even and get round...I run slooow and steady and I'm not going to change that between now and October.

I've signed up for the 5 Miler on Sunday but I'm working Friday, Saturday and Sunday night, 12 hour 'waking' shifts all on my feet, so there's a large query over that one.

On the bright side I interviewed for and successfully secured a 9-5 (ish) Monday - Friday job last week, I'm starting in July. It's something I've wanted to switch to for a while and it will hopefully enable me to build more structure around many things, including training. Won't have to beg and plead to get precious Sundays off the other race series days either. Hurrah!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Sorry for jumping in again but something i really struggled with last year and if anyone needs help on this feel free to give me a shout! I had major issues last year with feeling sick after long runs especially as the mileage builds up. Be sure and PM me/ask me as I think i've finally stopped it all! mainly due to drinking and eating and the timing of it. Everyone is different though.

Didn't do my usual routine before/during/ after on my 10mile LSR last week. I fainted when i got home and somehow managed not to throw up!

(I've been injured since January so just trying to get back into it).

Does anyone have an idea about the parking situation at Phoenix Park for the 5 mile on Sunday? I was planning to park on Chesterfield Ave near the zoo end and have a slow jog up to the start as a warm up. Would they block the parking at that end even if the race doesn't go down that far?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Last weeks training:off plan again.
    Rested calves on physio's orders.
    Monday- gym, weight training.
    Tue-cycle in and out of work (7miles total)
    Wed- easy 5 mile run
    Thur/Fri-rest
    Sat-3 miles
    Sun-rest
    Mon - mini marathon - worst race of my life! I think I took it a bit too easy last week, my legs felt very heavy. The 2pm start didn't suit me at all, I had porridge at 9 for breakfast and a banana around midday- my stomach was giving out while I was waiting to start. I felt drained and had nothing in the tank, the heat didn't help. Finished 3.30 mins slower than the Virgin night run
    This week I'll try stick to my plan, albeit at a slower pace to let my calves heal. Might skip the 5mile on Sunday, I'll see what Physio says.

Hopefully next weeks update will be better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Afternoon races are a pain in the arse. Hard to know how to approach them with the humidity and heat this time of year can cost you valuable seconds/minutes. I tend to have a light breakfast around 8am maybe just coffee and toast, then around midday if it's a 3 o clock start I'll have my usual pre race breakfast of porridge, banana, bagel and beetroot juice. I still always feel a bit out of sync though

kin9pin wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea about the parking situation at Phoenix Park for the 5 mile on Sunday? I was planning to park on Chesterfield Ave near the zoo end and have a slow jog up to the start as a warm up. Would they block the parking at that end even if the race doesn't go down that far?

If you're sure the race doesn't pass that road (sorry I haven't even looked at a route map!) then no, it wouldn't be usual for that area to be blocked off, its the busiest part of the PP in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭budhistmonk

I've done a few of the race series over the years and have always got parked on Chesterfield Ave at Zoo end entering from the main entrance at Conyngham Rd. Probably best to get there about an hour before the start to ensure you get a spot. I guess they will close off the bits that cross the course close to race start which I think is 10am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hey paddydriver -

Thanks Nop..

Yep its the HHN1 for me. I did a longer LSR on Sunday as family was away so had the time to get out... and it was a lovely day too!

Foot niggles definitely not getting any worse Thankfully. On that, I have had a box of glucosamine sitting in the kitchen for weeks and only started taking them last week - not sure if imagining it or not, but right knee is strangely fairly pain free after 3-4 days of it. That knee has troubled me for near 20 years.. I had a read online and many have got fairly quick relief using glucosamine. Time will tell..

Would be fairly stringent on the stretching before and after, and the foam roller works wonders too on the aching legs. Usually get quick shower then 5-10 mins rolling and it does work.

Think 4.20-30 will need to be more realistic unless I can shift some good weight over summer training.

I am going to try pick up some of that kinesiology tape too.. got stung bad last Sunday and showers have been sore since. Had same issue last year too and it wasn't pleasant. If that's worse I suffer with then I will be happy.

Finally, for anyone interested - the High5 Marathon Pack is half price again in ChainReaction and it is good value, though the running bottle is no use to me as I don't like carrying anything. These are often half price or better but worth picking one up for anyone interested in trying the gel's.

Rgds, Paddy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Firedance wrote: »
    Who me?? nooooooo, I'm a pussycat :cool::D:D

Yeah, yeah. :pac:

25470BP.jpg
    Pink11 wrote: »
    (I've been injured since January so just trying to get back into it).

Welcome. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SausageDogDave

What I did last year, and I thought it was genius (if I do say so my self), was I drove, with my bike in the boot. I parked around the zoo / Garda HQ and then cycled the 2k up to where the bike drop was.

Sorry if you don't have a bike but I'm sure you can appreciate the geniousnessness of it the suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Had my highest mileage week last week, totalling 32 miles including mile intervals midweek and a long run on Sunday.

However, I've managed to nab tickets for the Sweden and Belgium games, so that's the guts of two weeks that I'll be away doing pretty much the opposite of running. I'll see how I'm set when I get back, but considering the reservations I had before this thread, I may just focus on doing the half and leave the full til next year when I can really attack it.

I'll still follow this thread religiously and be keeping an eye on all your progress and who knows, I may get tempted back into it in a few weeks when it really kicks off. Good luck all!

What I did last year, and I thought it was genius (if I do say so my self), was I drove, with my bike in the boot. I parked around the zoo / Garda HQ and then cycled the 2k up to where the bike drop was.

Sorry if you don't have a bike but I'm sure you can appreciate the geniousnessness of it the suggestion

That is a great idea, but I don't have a bike. The amount I'm spending on running gear at the moment, that might have to wait. I'll park there and have a light jog up.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Hey Antwerp - good work on the mileage.

The 5M race (assuming you're racing it) should replace your long run. You'll add a mile warm up and a mile cool down, making it 7 miles, not too shabby.

Not sure how your week looks normally, but 2 (or 3, provided you run easy) mid-week runs should suffice. On Friday (or Saturday), go out for some very easy work and throw in 5 sets of strides towards the end. I'll post some more about race-prep during the week.

Hi Nop98,
    Thanks for advice, will do easy runs so on Wed, Thurs & Fri - what mileage or time should I target? Similarly on Sat what length should very easy run be in terms of mileage/time? Thanks for stride article which I'll now review as prior to this, had only heard about counting to 15 to complete one set if strides or something like that!!

To the Fellow Fivemiler Folks, there is usually a shuttle bus opposite Ryans pub (on exiting Heuston cross first bridge and shuttle bus stop is on your left) which leaves every 20 minutes or so and drops you to start line. Equally there is a bus that drops you back after the race. Good luck to ye on Sunday, let's hope it's less humid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

What's the thinking behind the HHN1 plan? Is it designed to get you round the course, but with no great speed? Would it scupper your chances of trying a 10k run or two in the meantime?

I've only just got back into doing speed work 4 weeks ago and, bar hills, I've yet to finish one with any great success. So I'm thinking if one was to think of marathon training (very naughtily and probably very prematurely) the Boards Novice Plan might be a bit heavy, but the HH looks lovely, though I'd like to get some speed work in. If I was giving this any kind if thought, which of course I'm not. That would be ridiculous. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Last weeks training:off plan again.
    Rested calves on physio's orders.
    Monday- gym, weight training.
    Tue-cycle in and out of work (7miles total)
    Wed- easy 5 mile run
    Thur/Fri-rest
    Sat-3 miles
    Sun-rest
    Mon - mini marathon - worst race of my life! I think I took it a bit too easy last week, my legs felt very heavy. The 2pm start didn't suit me at all, I had porridge at 9 for breakfast and a banana around midday- my stomach was giving out while I was waiting to start. I felt drained and had nothing in the tank, the heat didn't help. Finished 3.30 mins slower than the Virgin night run
    This week I'll try stick to my plan, albeit at a slower pace to let my calves heal. Might skip the 5mile on Sunday, I'll see what Physio says.

Hopefully next weeks update will be better!

Did the wmm too on Monday and it was fairly brutal! The late start was hard and the heat was crazy. Amazed at the amount of people NOT running in the shade where it was available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

That is a great idea, but I don't have a bike. The amount I'm spending on running gear at the moment, that might have to wait. I'll park there and have a light jog up.

I love having the walk up to the start line. Great warm up.

Advertisement