Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I'm not following any plan yet, coming from a place where I trained in fits and bursts I'm just getting out and getting some miles in at the moment.

Sun 8th - 6.83 miles (Wings for Life)

Monday 9th - 3.5 miles

Thurs 12th May - 4 miles

Fri 13th - 10 miles

Tue 17th - 5.5 miles

Wed - 10.5 miles

Fri - 2.5 miles

Sat/Sun/Mon - ****ey night duty, did nothing.

It's all very unstructured and haphazard, but hey, at least I'm running.

True, but.....now is the time to build that structure, believe us, it'll make life so much easier come the start of the plan if you've already settled into a routine :) your body actually gets used to regular running quite quickly and if you've built the habit you'll find it harder to skip runs later on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good to read the reports.

I saw 7-8 people out at 9am on Sat morning, generally going more than 'slowly', I reckon. I was walking the dog and I fell on the grass, as you do. He's so strong when he pulls on the lead when he's hyper. Speaking of grass, I'm undecided on mixing up the training there. I'll go back and read again. As it happens, a few of the TV shows I watch are winding down around now which is good timing. Others are coming back, careful, careful. I don't mind falling behind a little to train instead. Can use the rest days for getting square eyes.

I've to admit to being bad at stretching, often because I probably don't do it in a serious way, well, not the against the wall type stuff, etc. Lack of routine isn't helping me at the moment, to continue the moan.

As question to add to the OP, if I may:

Why will you finish the marathon?

Because I'm a stubborn boll...

But really. Despite the self-doubt I experience with running (and in my personal life), I know that I can finish it once I put in the training, work and time. That, and the thread is good craic. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Firedance wrote: »
    True, but.....now is the time to build that structure, believe us, it'll make life so much easier come the start of the plan if you've already settled into a routine :) your body actually gets used to regular running quite quickly and if you've built the habit you'll find it harder to skip runs later on!

I want to build structure but it's so frickin hard when you work days and nights all mixed in together. I can't structure anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Good to read the reports.

I saw 7-8 people out at 9am on Sat morning, generally going more than 'slowly', I reckon. I was walking the dog and I fell on the grass, as you do. He's so strong when he pulls on the lead when he's hyper. Speaking of grass, I'm undecided on mixing up the training there. I'll go back and read again. As it happens, a few of the TV shows I watch are winding down around now which is good timing. Others are coming back, careful, careful. I don't mind falling behind a little to train instead. Can use the rest days for getting square eyes.

I've to admit to being bad at stretching, often because I probably don't do it in a serious way, well, not the against the wall type stuff, etc. Lack of routine isn't helping me at the moment, to continue the moan.

As question to add to the OP, if I may:

Why will you finish the marathon?

Because I'm a stubborn boll...

But really. Despite the self-doubt I experience with running (and in my personal life), I know that I can finish it once I put in the training, work and time. That, and the thread is good craic. :pac:

The award for the most cryptic post of week T-23 has been awarded to The Black Oil. :) However, this bit is unequivocal and true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Third times the charm! I've been trying to make the Dublin Marathon for a few years now but injury keeps kicking me in the gut, I don't quit easily though so here we go again.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I've been ticking away at running for 3 years now, done a few 5k and 10k races but the longer runs have all been on my own. My 5k PB is 23.45 I think, and 10k PB is 52.05. Not super fast but I've lost a bit of weight recently and can see the times getting faster so I'm happy with that.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

At the minute I'm only doing a run twice a week, I was doing more but have eased back and am trying to mix in more cross training to strengthen particular muscles and avoid injury with the big run in mind.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I want to run a marathon. If I had to pick a time I think 4.30 would be realistic and achievable.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I'll follow the Hal Higdon plan, to the letter as much as possible.

Why are you running this marathon?
    Because I said I would. Got to have a dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Gulp. Just signed up for the DCM & race series... no going back now

An email came around work from our sports club offering half price (subsidised) entry.. I got the 10 mile, half and DCM for €52

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

jameshayes wrote: »
    Gulp. Just signed up for the DCM & race series... no going back now

An email came around work from our sports club offering half price (subsidised) entry.. I got the 10 mile, half and DCM for €52

Hehe we may work in the same place because I got the exact same email this morning! Brilliant discount, so glad I hadn't gotten around to signing up for any of the races yet:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Don't know if I'm breaking any rules here... when I mentioned that I was running in aid of a cause, someone commented saying that I should link the donate page here. So that's just what I'm doing, feel free to skip me and read on if I'm doing something I shouldn't!

Anyway, I'm running in aid of a HSE run community care unit in Lusk, they're fairly new so they've only been up a couple years, I've been working with them since near the start as I've been with them a year now. I'll throw up a quick link to my gofundme page here. Again, hope it's allowed.

https://www.gofundme.com/raisemoneyforHSE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Two bones of contention on the run this evening....1. People eating ice creams in the Phoenix Park and 2. Having to run past the ice cream van twice......I have trawled through both the HH plans and the Boards Plan and I still can't find the week where there is an ice cream break in the run!

Loveley evening out there though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Two bones of contention on the run this evening....1. People eating ice creams in the Phoenix Park and 2. Having to run past the ice cream van twice......I have trawled through both the HH plans and the Boards Plan and I still can't find the week where there is an ice cream break in the run!

Ice cream is required recovery food after all long runs. Visualising the 99 at the end is very good motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I like to follow every run with an ice cream. Just in from a 5 mile now and I'm off to get a 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Bit of strawberry sauce I hope!
    chrislad wrote: »
    I like to follow every run with an ice cream. Just in from a 5 mile now and I'm off to get a 99.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Dear Diary,

Order new knees.

Bit of strawberry sauce I hope!

Ah come on! You can't have strawberry sauce if you're marathon training!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

Hi! Totally new to boards, so be gentle!! Been running for just over a year, 4 times a week doing between 20 and 30 miles a week. Always wanted to do the marathon, so decided this is the year! Have a really supportive other half, so going for it! Great to find this thread so going back to read it all ☺

ToriV wrote: »
    Hi! Totally new to boards, so be gentle!! Been running for just over a year, 4 times a week doing between 20 and 30 miles a week. Always wanted to do the marathon, so decided this is the year! Have a really supportive other half, so going for it! Great to find this thread so going back to read it all ☺

Yeah, but strawberry sauce or plain ice cream?

Welcome and happy running. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Must be a typo in the plan ice cream always allowed !!!

ToriV wrote: »

Welcome aboard ToriV! there are some questions in the opening post if you get a chance to answer them at some point and let us know a little more about you.

Yeah, but strawberry sauce or plain ice cream?

Welcome and happy running. ;)

I think it would have to be chocolate sauce! And thanks for the welcome!

Firedance wrote: »
    Welcome aboard ToriV! there are some questions in the opening post if you get a chance to answer them at some point and let us know a little more about you.

Will do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Third times the charm! I've been trying to make the Dublin Marathon for a few years now but injury keeps kicking me in the gut, I don't quit easily though so here we go again.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I've been ticking away at running for 3 years now, done a few 5k and 10k races but the longer runs have all been on my own. My 5k PB is 23.45 I think, and 10k PB is 52.05. Not super fast but I've lost a bit of weight recently and can see the times getting faster so I'm happy with that.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

At the minute I'm only doing a run twice a week, I was doing more but have eased back and am trying to mix in more cross training to strengthen particular muscles and avoid injury with the big run in mind.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I want to run a marathon. If I had to pick a time I think 4.30 would be realistic and achievable.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I'll follow the Hal Higdon plan, to the letter as much as possible.

Why are you running this marathon?
    Because I said I would. Got to have a dream.

Hello bucketybuck! Welcome to the thread!

The very best of luck the third time around. Injury prevention is very, very hard and unfortunately, there is no golden formula that works for all. Taking a very cautious approach to strengthen up and slowly increase your mileage is very sensible. I am sure you also have good discipline around warm-up and cool-down (Firedance posted a good stretching post a while back) - it all helps.

I would encourage to add a third run a week soon, and a fourth sometime in mid-June. Just easy stuff - run at a pace at which you can easily hold a conversation. Do keep up the cross-training, it will stand to you, but remember it's meant to be an easy day.

HHN1 sounds perfect for your objectives - and I like your attitude towards finishing times (for some, the act of finishing is what matters, not the time).

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Lads, what do yiz do on those days where you wake up and just cannot be arsed? I had one of those mornings today. Still went out for a run and enjoyed it, but getting out the door was a real struggle. I always know I'd regret not going so I always go, but do the tough mornings ever go away? Iv'e been running a year and a half now and still get them occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'm three years running I get less of those days now than I used to but on occasion sometimes I'm just not in the mood to run but like yourself nomally guilt gets the better of me and I run.

Fbjm wrote: »
    Lads, what do yiz do on those days where you wake up and just cannot be arsed? I had one of those mornings today. Still went out for a run and enjoyed it, but getting out the door was a real struggle. I always know I'd regret not going so I always go, but do the tough mornings ever go away? Iv'e been running a year and a half now and still get them occasionally.

One of the best bits of advice I heard last year was to just go out and do ten minutes running. If after 10 mins, you're still feeling crap, turn around and go home. At least you've still done 20 mins!

One of the best bits of advice I heard last year was to just go out and do ten minutes running. If after 10 mins, you're still feeling crap, turn around and go home. At least you've still done 20 mins!

I'm a bit of a moaning Michael now but I'd have to see the run through to the end haha. If I turn back early I'd be in terrible form the rest of the day. But I can see the upside to your suggestion since the most important part is getting out the door :)

I'm a bit of a moaning Michael now but I'd have to see the run through to the end haha. If I turn back early I'd be in terrible form the rest of the day. But I can see the upside to your suggestion since the most important part is getting out the door :)

I think the logic behind is that once you're out, you'll be happy to keep going! Generally, if you get through 10 mins, you'll finish it off, unless there's physical factors like injury etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Yeah but you just tell yourself you're going to go out for 10 minutes, even if you secretly know you'll never capitulate. I felt wrecked yesterday so I told myself I'd just go out for a short easy run. Ended up doing 7x400m.

I think the logic behind is that once you're out, you'll be happy to keep going! Generally, if you get through 10 mins, you'll finish it off, unless there's physical factors like injury etc.

Chris is spot on there. Also have your gear laid out the night before so all you don't have to spend time rummaging (and then use the excuse 'I can't find my favourite socks/top/hat' )

It does get easier because I think your body remembers the buzz as time goes by and body/mind stop fighting with each other and just agree the only answer is to go out and run :p Well done on getting out the door when you didn't really want to.

Feck going for a run in the morning :pac: I way prefer after work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Feck going for a run in the morning :pac: I way prefer after work

Careful, this seems like the sort of thing that could break out into a miles vs kilometers style war.

Advertisement