Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Firedance wrote: »

So I'm bad cop heh? that's okay with me as it seems I'll be waiting a long time for anyone to jump to my defence here!!! aquinn?? Bungy???? Denis??? ANYONE??!!!! :D:D

Well Nop and Firedance certainly don't need to be validated by me :D BUT think of them as your Ego and Superego. The balance is what is needed and that is what they present. Of course they can't tame every wild horse out there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

jameshayes wrote: »
    Weekly Update:

A strange week for me, I think I struggled mentally with my programme and lost a bit of faith in it to be honest, but I will keep trucking on and see how I go for the next few weeks. I have time to jump ship and join another programme if needs be.

Monday: Bank Holiday, Rest
    Tuesday: Run 400m sprints at lunch & Gym in the evening
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: 8k fast run @ 5.09/km & gym in the evening - this is the day I struggled. I did this run in 41 minutes which is only 2 mins slower than my 5mile PB - it really put the scare into me because in 3 weeks my plan asks me to do the same speed for 12km's and I dont know if I could do it. Maybe I need faith.
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Gym
    Sunday: 16km's at 6.05 - this was tougher than it should have been, again a prescribed pace from my plan which felt like I was running faster than my comfort zone, my HR was only 150 the entire run so it must have been mental fatigue rather than physical.

Anyways, no point complaining! I have an easy schedule this week - no LSR according to the plan, just 2 Fast 8k's and a slow 5k

Hi James,

Not sure if you are still following the asics plan but it might be worth double checking your pacing for your 8km runs in particular. That seems incredibly fast for your 5 km pbs as well. Long road and all that. Your long run as a proportion of your weekly mileage is also very high. I would revisit your programme to allow a more comfortable marathon experience.

Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

denis b wrote: »
    Hi James,

Not sure if you are still following the asics plan but it might be worth double checking your pacing for your 8km runs in particular. That seems incredibly fast for your 5 km pbs as well. Long road and all that. Your long run as a proportion of your weekly mileage is also very high. I would revisit your programme to allow a more comfortable marathon experience.

Keep up the good work.

+1 to this. I don't know your plan (is resident plan expert FBOT still on his holidays? I vote he returns soon) to give this a once over. 3 runs a week is also a bit on the light side.

400m sprints and "fast" 8k's wouldn't be my way to prepare for a marathon, but there are many ways to skin a cat (or so I'm told). You should not be dreading nor having trouble with 16k / 10M LSR at proper LSR pace -especially not in a few weeks time.

Keep clocking up those miles - but no chance I can tempt you to the HHN1 or boards plans?

Running is a funny beast.

I did a 10k race on Saturday, my third since I started running nearly 3 years ago. I kept a consistent pace on a very hot and clammy day, did a new PB, 50.28, over 4 minutes minutes faster than last years time and 6 minutes faster than my first one.

And all I can think is that I should have squeezed another 30 seconds out and done a sub 50 minutes.

I am of course happy with a PB but it was a hilly course with one very steep section in particular, so had it been a bit flatter, or a bit colder, or had I went a bit quicker or kicked on a bit faster at the end then I could have done it. :pac: Guess I'm never happy.

I'd like to go out and do another now and bag the time but all that will have to wait I suppose, no more picking up the pace for me, now its time for slow assed marathon training.

Well done bucketbuck - good PB. 30 seconds off 50 mins is totally arbitrary! 4 minutes and 6 minutes off your previous times is fantastic, and that's what matters.

Slow-assed training it is from now on :) but here's the secret. If you approach the next 4 months in a disciplined, controlled way, not only do you have a realistic shot at finishing a marathon, but I *almost* guarantee that your 10k PB will drop below 50 before year-end.

Hi all. I have just been told about this thread and I already love it!

Previous results - i have run a good few half marathons. My most recent in Connemara/Burren -2hrs 10. Other runs on flatter courses - 2hrs.

Walk breaks - I dont normally need to take them unless I have tackled a big hill! Did my first >13mile run today, stopped for 2mins at 11miles as there was a big enough incline!

Training - at the moment 3 days per week running. Aiming for 2 short, 1 long. Play gaelic 1 day per week + game at the weekend. In between I do pilates/strength ex at home.

I think my main struggle will be doing more runs per week. Ill probably only achieve 3-4 + football 2 days.

Also training to walk 100milea in 6 days so will be doing hikes every now and then.

Fieatly I hope to finish it. Then i hope to run it in under 4hr30.. my dream would be 4hr 15.

I am doing it to challenge myself! I have wanted to do it for the past 2 years but was not running enough at the time.

Looking forward to the tips/advice/motovation to keep going!

Hey ClaireBristol - nearly missed your post there in between all the weekly updates and race reports.

Welcome to the thread! It looks like you have buckets of aerobic fitness and general strength - in other words, a super base to work off.

I would be somewhat cautious tho, as it doesn't automatically translate in being able to run a marathon. Most importantly, you need to work out if you can increase the amount of weekly runs to at least 4 to have a realistic shot. Are you pausing your gaelic commitments or trying to combine it with marathon training? What plan are you going to follow?

Welcome to the thread, and I am looking forward to seeing your progress. Out of interest, are you UK based?

Summary of useful links. If I need to bookmark other posts / external links, let me know, open to suggestions.

Useful Resources
    What|Link
    Dublin Marathon Official Site|link
    Strava Club for DCM 2016 Novices (chrislad)|link
    Training Programs (Boards.ie and HHN1)|link
    Online mileage tracker|tba

Questionnaire for novice novices
    If you consider joining the thread, please spend a few minutes telling us something about yourself:
    - Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    - Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    - How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    - What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    - How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    - Why are you running this marathon?

Useful posts in this thread
    What|Link
    Opening Post|link
    Training Paces (part 1)|link
    Why run slow? (Myles Splitz)|link
    Stretching 101 (Firedance)|link
    Training plans and non-goal races|link
    Heart Rate Training and Monitors (Firedance)|link
    Racing Prep (Irish Runner 5M)|link

Race Series Events
    Event|Build Up and Race Reports From Here
    Irish Runner 5 Mile|link

Novice threads from previous years
    Year|Link
    2015 (Dubgal72)|2015
    2014 (Ososlo)|2014
    2013 (career_move)|2013
    2012 (Younganne)|2012
    2011 (Raycun)|2011
    2010 (Rainbow Kirby)|2010
    2009 (amadeus)|2009

Epic Race Reports
    Who (what)|Link
    SausageDogDave (Copenhagen Marathon)|link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Weekly Wind-Up

MONDAY: Rest

TUESDAY: I had an appointment in the morning so I had to miss my run. It was cancelled last minute but I was already in the non-running mindset and, loathsome as it is, I just couldn't drag myself out the door despite the appointment being rescheduled.

WEDNESDAY: Medium run, 6.4k. 44 mins.

THURSDAY: Short run, 5k. 29 mins.

FRIDAY: Rest

SATURDAY: Couldn't do long run as I was away down in Kerry. I'm missing a lot of runs...

SUNDAY: Climbed Skellig Michael for cross training.

All in all, I'm disappointed in how much I'm having to miss. This coming week will be my worst one yet as I can't run tomorrow or Wednesday. Thank god it's not at the 18 weeks date yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the advice, Nop98 felt OK today so went for a slow 3 miles (hardly worth putting on the runners) and will take tomorrow completely off and have a proper run on Wednesday :)

Pity about the match!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Weekly Update

MONDAY: 3.3M Easy@9.52/mi

TUESDAY: 3.1M Easy@11.01/mi

WEDNESDAY: 3.1M Easy@9.45/mi

THURSDAY: Rest

FRIDAY: 5M Easy@10.43/mi

SATURDAY: Rest

SUNDAY: 6.5M LSR@11.12/mi

Swapped around a day or two due to other commitments but happy enough with 21 miles for the week ran at a nice slow rate. Legs felt fine, Sunday was a strange one, humidity was a killer and felt really crappy on this run but had a busy weekend too so the body was a bit tired so will put it down to that and the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ClaireBristol

Yes I am from Dublib but live in Bristol. Ye my next goal is to up to 4 runs a week. Struggle to do morning run due to work but might try do it once a week to get the extra run in. Ye keeping going with gaelic as we do great fitness aspect to training - squats/burpees/sprints - exercises that i cannot motivate to do myself! Gaelic in uk isnt as serious/competitive as home and it finishes in mid August, so should not get in thd way. Im also doing a half marathon race once a month to become more comfortable with the distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Yes I am from Dublib but live in Bristol. Ye my next goal is to up to 4 runs a week. Struggle to do morning run due to work but might try do it once a week to get the extra run in. Ye keeping going with gaelic as we do great fitness aspect to training - squats/burpees/sprints - exercises that i cannot motivate to do myself! Gaelic in uk isnt as serious/competitive as home and it finishes in mid August, so should not get in thd way. Im also doing a half marathon race once a month to become more comfortable with the distance.

:eek::eek: you're not planning to race them I hope Claire? Definitely as nop says increase the runs to 4, even if that were to mean dropping the GAA a bit early. As we've been known to say around these parts 'keep the main thing the main thing'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Weekly update from me.

6th June - 12th June
    Monday - 4 miles easy
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - 9 miles easy
    Friday - 4 miles easy
    Saturday - 14 miles general aerobic
    Sunday - 4 miles easy

Ended up going way off plan this week due to a head cold. Took a couple of days off running till I was over the worst of it, and then crammed the miles in later in the week. This was stupid in hindsight, but at least I had the sense to stick to easy running.

I'm on holiday this week and will try and get out for a run when I can, but I'm not going to stress too much about sticking to the plan. If I can manage about 30 miles, I'll be happy enough.

Well done to everyone who raced yesterday - enjoyed the reports!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Antodoran136

Bit late updating my runs for last week
    Sunday 8.8 k
    Monday rest
    Tuesday 6.54 pace 5.12
    Wednesday 7.03 pace 5:41
    Thursday rest
    Friday 6.13k pace 5.48
    Saturday 12k pace 5.33

I can feel my fitness getting much better every run especially after a long debate inside my own head whether to take a rest day but by god you need it and I can only think to myself the harder the training gets well them rest days are going to be so important . The next thing I need to do is splash out on a new pair of runners I'm not 100% comfortable in the ones I have and I've read good things about amphibian king I may take the plunge as I'm nearly on the foam roller as much as the roads..... Well I blame the runners and not the old muscles 😀

Can anyone else tell me if they've started there hills sessions or strides ? Or is it too early yet to try work on your speed ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

denis b wrote: »
    Hi James,

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the input Denis! I've gone back to check that I entered the correct criteria into myasics and I definitely did (unfortunately) - I do notice I have the pace set to 'hard' - I have no idea why I did that haha! and maybe because I've got it set to 3 runs per week too..

It could be that I am running at the top end of the timescale rather than the easier end - my 8k runs say "5.06-5.25" per km and I'm sticking to the quicker end of the scale, maybe I should aim for the slower side! My plan is attached for anyone interested in making fun of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Also have a look at Run Hub in Ashtown if you are splashing out on new runners....great service in there.

Almost time for a new pair myself as I don't think my current ones will get through the training and the marathon.
    Sunday 8.8 k
    Monday rest
    Tuesday 6.54 pace 5.12
    Thursday rest
    Friday 6.13k pace 5.48
    Saturday 12k pace 5.33

I can feel my fitness getting much better every run especially after a long debate inside my own head whether to take a rest day but by god you need it and I can only think to myself the harder the training gets well them rest days are going to be so important . The next thing I need to do is splash out on a new pair of runners I'm not 100% comfortable in the ones I have and I've read good things about amphibian king I may take the plunge as I'm nearly on the foam roller as much as the roads..... Well I blame the runners and not the old muscles 😀

Can anyone else tell me if they've started there hills sessions or strides ? Or is it too early yet to try work on your speed ??

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

I really like Runlogic. Just to confuse you 😂😂 but I think the 3 places (AK, RH and RL) are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭budhistmonk

My Garmin Forerunner 110 died on me on completion of my LSR over the weekend. It's been giving me trouble over the last few months and I was expecting it but is quite old so no complaints. Been running watch-less since which is actually a bit liberating. Anyway I still like the feedback I get from wearing a watch so I took a look around and found that Amazon had the Garmin Forerunner 610 with HRM at a decent price (the 610 is not the latest in that range hence I guess why it it is so well priced) so I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with the 610 - good or bad? Most of the reports online seem positive but I'd trust you guys to be brutally honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

My Garmin Forerunner 110 died on me on completion of my LSR over the weekend. It's been giving me trouble over the last few months and I was expecting it but is quite old so no complaints. Been running watch-less since which is actually a bit liberating. Anyway I still like the feedback I get from wearing a watch so I took a look around and found that Amazon had the Garmin Forerunner 610 with HRM at a decent price (the 610 is not the latest in that range hence I guess why it it is so well priced) so I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with the 610 - good or bad? Most of the reports online seem positive but I'd trust you guys to be brutally honest.

There's a garmin megathread here BM http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99915757#post99915757

if no one here has an answer for you no doubt you'd get great feedback there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I'm not too familiar with all the intricacies of watches, I use a lowly TomTom Runner with a HRM chest strap and I love it - however I did see a good deal on a garmin 620 the other day: http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/797364 if its any use..

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    There's a garmin megathread here BM
    if no one here has an answer for you no doubt you'd get great feedback there

Thanks a mill firedance. Loads of info there. Much appreciated.

jameshayes wrote: »
    I'm not too familiar with all the intricacies of watches, I use a lowly TomTom Runner with a HRM chest strap and I love it - however I did see a good deal on a garmin 620 the other day: if its any use..

Great stuff James. Thanks for that. Hadn't come across this site before. Now where's my credit card :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

The 610 is a very old model at this stage. The touch screen is brutal and you would near be better off without it and just use buttons. All said, if your 110 has served you well and you are happy with the older model then 610 will do the trick.

Not sure what price you saw it for but if you can stretch further then perhaps looks at one of the lower spec newer models as they will possibly still be a better device than the 610.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good price on the 610 on sports direct @€;156

http://www.sportsdirect.com/garmin-forerunner-610-hrm-764281?colcode=76428148

Not sure if the strap comes with it but the one form your 110 will work or this

http://www.sportsdirect.com/garmin-premium-heart-monitor-belt-764288?colcode=76428899

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Re: watch ...have a Garmin, I found wiggle.co.uk great as they had a good discount and free delivery to Ireland.

On runners front, there is a very good shop in Rathgar called Runzone which is owned and managed by runners, whereby they actually listen to their clients and not pushy at all (unlike others!)

Happy shopping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I find this site great for runners, will be picking up a pair of these soon myself as I found the current version of these runners the best I have ever used https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/sau2856/saucony-ride-8-running-shoes-~-ss16/ - I had a gait analysis done before deciding which runners to go for awhile back.

I picked up this watch awhile back and find it great http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/activity-tracker-review.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

This is coming up on a lightening deal on amazon at some stage tonight.

It may be cheaper else where but thought of this thread when browsing deals HRM included.

forerunner230_hr_8058.2_2.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016V1ZLBE/ref=gbps_tit_s-3_4687_a258ca7f?pf_rd_p=968124687&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=M3PKMAZX0H5Q35VPQJZB

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Does anyone know where I'd get a cheap heart rate monitor that would pair with my Garmin? I left mine in the gym and some ass took the monitor and left the chest strap >:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I ran 4 miles tonight, I think it was the slowest run so far. Is this OK?

Time: 1:00:09

14:58 min/mi, Avg Pace

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SausageDogDave

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I'd get a cheap heart rate monitor that would pair with my Garmin? I left mine in the gym and some ass took the monitor and left the chest strap >:(

I saw a few second hand ones on adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I ran 4 miles tonight, I think it was the slowest run so far. Is this OK?

Time: 1:00:09

14:58 min/mi, Avg Pace

At the risk of getting myself in trouble with the authorities I actually think you've gone too far... That's probably a little slow for someone who can run a 23:xx 5k. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

And risk the wrath of the dance known as Fire? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I have a TomTom one that you can have. It's fairly standard and should work with the Garmin (I've tested it with my iPhone and Strava and it worked fine without the TomTom watch)

I just don't like wearing it. Love the stats, but the thing is just awkward to me. I'm probably going to get a new watch soon, and get one with the HRM on the watch itself.

chrislad wrote: »
    I have a TomTom one that you can have. It's fairly standard and should work with the Garmin (I've tested it with my iPhone and Strava and it worked fine without the TomTom watch)

I just don't like wearing it. Love the stats, but the thing is just awkward to me. I'm probably going to get a new watch soon, and get one with the HRM on the watch itself.

Are you sure?!! Thats very good of you - thank you! :D:D I loved having one on my long runs for my spring half marathon training - I'm already feeling a bit lost without it :)
    Thanks very much for your offer!

Are you sure?!! Thats very good of you - thank you! :D:D I loved having one on my long runs for my spring half marathon training - I'm already feeling a bit lost without it :)
    Thanks very much for your offer!

No problem. PM me on your postal address and I'll get it dropped off.

No problem. PM me on your postal address and I'll get it dropped off.

Just done, thanks again, hopefully I can repay the favour at some stage of our running careers! :)

Just done, thanks again, hopefully I can repay the favour at some stage of our running careers! :)

I've gotten no message so far!

The 610 is a very old model at this stage. The touch screen is brutal and you would near be better off without it and just use buttons. All said, if your 110 has served you well and you are happy with the older model then 610 will do the trick.

Not sure what price you saw it for but if you can stretch further then perhaps looks at one of the lower spec newer models as they will possibly still be a better device than the 610.

Thanks for this Paddy. You're right the 110 was very much an entry level watch but was perfect for me. The 610 looks to give me the same data thought the touch screen comment has me concerned. I'll have a think. Thanks again.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Good price on the 610 on sports direct @€;156

Not sure if the strap comes with it but the one form your 110 will work or this
    ]

Thanks for this M. The Amazon price is similar though I have a voucher there so may just go with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

tom tom works off of bluetooth and Garmin is Ant+ they wont talk to one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Sunday 8.8 k
    Monday rest
    Tuesday 6.54 pace 5.12
    Thursday rest
    Friday 6.13k pace 5.48
    Saturday 12k pace 5.33

It's never too early to do strides or short hills (like 8 seconds short). The important thing with the strides is that they are not an all out sprint, it's a controlled and relaxed quick stride, you shouldn't be hurting doing them. As with the hill sprints, take a nice long recovery in between them and you're good to go all year round.

• Advertisement

Antwerp wrote: »
    Re: watch ...have a Garmin, I found wiggle.co.uk great as they had a good discount and free delivery to Ireland.

On runners front, there is a very good shop in Rathgar called Runzone which is owned and managed by runners, whereby they actually listen to their clients and not pushy at all (unlike others!)

Happy shopping

Thanks Antwerp, Yeah I use wiggle quite a bit. Just bought a box of assorted SIS Isotonic gels there to try and find a flavour that works for me for Oct. Free delivery, though had to buy a pair of socks to bring it over the €30 threshold for free carriage. I struggled with my stomach on my last marathon attempt and the High-5 gels did not seem to suit me though I don't think I got my nutrition right there at all before. Sorry just want off on a tangent there.

Will definitely try Runzone. I find it's getting better to buy shoes and gear locally in the last while as the sterling exchange rate is not as favourable for the UK web sites and the expertise you get in-store is unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Not doing Dublin but doing Berlin a month earlier any chance I could join the thread?

Went out for my run at 6:45 this morning up to Deer Park in Mt Merrion. First time I have gone out that early before breakfast.. found it very tough! Maybe I needed some food in me or my body just wasn't awake yet.. Anyway, made it thru and did 7.5k but pace was all wrong and I really suffered.

Anyone else similar experiences? I like the idea of going out early like this and I did feel fresh for the day but still was tough going when I did go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sgal

Hi,
    Great stuff on here, trying to read through it but there is a lot of info to sift through!
    Signed up for DCM and will be following the HH Novice 1. I know from previous posts about the emphasis on LSR being slow but with the rest of the runs being 'easy' runs where does marathon pace come into it? I'm very one paced, plodding along without breaking any records. Based on the 18-week schedule I've worked out based around shift work I don't think I'll be hitting many races so I'll be training away on my own which is grand. Do I need to wait until much further into training before using pace calculator or should I enter current details and what I hope to do and add on time to LSR and a bit less time onto easy runs and go from there?

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Only one ever actual official race which was 2 years ago which was 25k and a 2hr 22m.
    Other than that its training runs this year but at the moment 10k is usually 53-55m 5k 25m

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    no

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Only getting back into consistent running after an awful lot of on and off running, 4 days a week at most usually 5-6km and one longer run and longest recent run of 15kms - fitness isn't great but getting there, mojo for running is good so enjoying the routine at the moment

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Just complete it and do myself justice based on where I'm at now. I'd love to be inside 4.5 hrs though

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    4 days a week and one cross day is defo the most I can stretch to following HH Novice 1

Why are you running this marathon?
    I've being tempted to run a marathon for quite a few years, its a big lifetime goal for me but have always found an excuse to put it off but after seriously considering a half marathon this year and then go for Cork next year or even Dublin later next year based on family/work/college commitments this year I said there is always going to be something else to get in the way next year so I bit the bullet and I'm going for it! I don't have the base I'd ideally like to have but people a lot busier/older and god knows what can do it then why not me

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Went out for my run at 6:45 this morning up to Deer Park in Mt Merrion. First time I have gone out that early before breakfast.. found it very tough! Maybe I needed some food in me or my body just wasn't awake yet.. Anyway, made it thru and did 7.5k but pace was all wrong and I really suffered.

Anyone else similar experiences? I like the idea of going out early like this and I did feel fresh for the day but still was tough going when I did go out.

I would try to do the long runs early in the morning but I always eat something before I go out. Usually it's the bowl of porridge but sometimes just a slice of toast. As they are easy runs it doesn't really affect me too much but I can't imagine doing a 2 hour+ run on an empty stomach.

Regardless it always takes me 3 or 4 miles to wake up in the morning and the first few miles will be noticeably slower (30s/mile) for the same perceived effort as an evening run, which sounds similar to what you experienced. This may change as the body becomes used to more early morning runs but for now for me it's certainly harder in the morning.

It can vary. I went out for a progression 3 miles this morning, and it was tough enough, I was averaging 9:40 or so, with a last mile of about 8:30. This evening, I did another 3 miles, similar to that one. I averaged 9:24 or so, with a 7:40 last mile. I felt hungry this morning during the run, so that was probably the reason, and I did the run straight out of bed essentially. I normally do long runs early, but my prep for those is much better in that I eat and get up an hour before I start the run.

If it's less than 5 miles I'll just have a cup of coffee, maybe half a banana if I'm feeling hungry - but I'm usually too tired!
    If it's a longer run I have to get up an hour earlier for a bowl of porridge or a wholegrain bagel and a banana.

tipping wrote: »
    I would try to do the long runs early in the morning but I always eat something before I go out. Usually it's the bowl of porridge but sometimes just a slice of toast. As they are easy runs it doesn't really affect me too much but I can't imagine doing a 2 hour+ run on an empty stomach.

Regardless it always takes me 3 or 4 miles to wake up in the morning and the first few miles will be noticeably slower (30s/mile) for the same perceived effort as an evening run, which sounds similar to what you experienced. This may change as the body becomes used to more early morning runs but for now for me it's certainly harder in the morning.
    It can vary. I went out for a progression 3 miles this morning, and it was tough enough, I was averaging 9:40 or so, with a last mile of about 8:30. This evening, I did another 3 miles, similar to that one. I averaged 9:24 or so, with a 7:40 last mile. I felt hungry this morning during the run, so that was probably the reason, and I did the run straight out of bed essentially. I normally do long runs early, but my prep for those is much better in that I eat and get up an hour before I start the run.
    If it's less than 5 miles I'll just have a cup of coffee, maybe half a banana if I'm feeling hungry - but I'm usually too tired!
    If it's a longer run I have to get up an hour earlier for a bowl of porridge or a wholegrain bagel and a banana.

Thanks all.. funny enough all my favourite tipples were mentioned above.. Porridge, Coffee and a Banana :D

All I had beforehand was half a banana and glass of water, then my porridge and coffee (and rest of the banana) when home and showered. Think it was my going out pace that threw me off as I should have eased back more.

Set the alarm for 6:30 again this morning... but didn't bite on this occasion.

I will try some more early runs next week too and see how they go. Think the key is getting to bed earlier too.. My LSR time is around 10AM on Sunday mornings so going to get a spinning class in today and another run later or tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Not doing Dublin but doing Berlin a month earlier any chance I could join the thread?

Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Signed up for Berlin on the 25th of September. Marathon schedule started this week and I think it's 15 weeks long .

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Marathon (Nov 2009) : 4 hrs 32mins
    Half Marathon (March 2016) : 1hr 59 mins
    10k: (April 2016): 50:50
    5mile: (Jan 2016); 40:30
    5k: (Nov 2015): 24:29

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

On average about 40k a week split over 4 days . Up to 22k in long runs .

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Dream time : 3:59:59
    Realistic : 4:15 I think maybe or less than previous marathon

How many days a week can you train? 4 and maybe 1 cross train

And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Club schedule

Why are you running this marathon?
    0n the bucket list to beat 4hrs for a marathon so Berlin seemed like the place to do it. Fitness however not where I expected it to be so plan now on adjusting original goal and enjoying the race . Bucket list can wait another year.

Advertisement