Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Classic21

Weekly update

3 day running this week as I was preparing for a half marathon on Saturday. Mileage for week was 25 miles.

Tuesday, I had a club run. warm up (2 miles) race (2 miles @ 6:15 /mile) and cool dawn (1 mile).
    Thursday was tempo night. 6.5 miles @ 7:55 /mile).
    Saturday was race day. 13.1 miles @ 7:04 /mile, 1:33:00 and a PB. Very happy with race. started well for 5 miles but slowed until mile 10. Last three were 7:11, 7:01 & 6:55 so strong finish
    Racing is over now and time to put the head down to long slow miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

chrislad wrote:
    Best of luck to each of you as you undertake this massive..errr....undertaking!

There will be sweat, blisters, aches, pains, good days, bad days, and in between days. Listen to nop, he has a wealth of experience, along with his cohorts this year. Whether you do the marathon in your goal time, or not, you'll still have done a marathon. If you have to drop out due to injury or illness, take your learnings with you. There's the Clonakilty, Limerick, and Cork marathons next year too (I may see some of you for the Limerick one!)

I'm going to keep one eye on the thread, but this is your year, novices! Enjoy it, it's your achievement!

Took the words right out of my mouth! Couldn't have said it better myself. All the best to each of you novices. It's going to be a wonderful, crazy, painful time but you're going to love it! I'll be following your progress and cheering you on the entire way. I also hope to meet you guys at the DCM race series along the way. :D

Good luck! Mind your mentors and have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I think I'm gonna do it all!! - looking at the Hal Higdon training plan. Have done a good few 10k runs and a half marathon in 2014 so not a complete stranger to running, but happy to start off from the beginning.

One question, the Hal Higdon plan seems to have a half marathon run at week 8 - do I just move this around this around to align with the Dublin Half Marathon or leave it as is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck to everyone starting their plans this week.

Had a bit of a messy week last week as was travelling with work managed to get out on Tuesday and Thursday when I was away and was out this afternoon.

I am going to be jumping on to the plan towards the last week of July as I am off on holidays soon, so while I plan to get some runs in it won't be as structured as necessary.

Good luck again and let's get this job done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

So here we go.. Won't update for last week as it was a bit haphazard. Took nop's advice and tried to get PB's out of the way and went for it in Marley Park Run yesterday and got near 2 mins off my time last week.. Very happy with sub 23mins and would have been happy with sub 24min TBH. Only my 2nd Park Run so was working out etiquette last week and this time around I was straight out of the blocks and making up ground. Think I know my Max HR now too...:eek:

A weekend of kids Mini WC soccer with setup etc, managing England U9's (no jokes..) and screaming at Ireland today.

The Park Run took it out of me and legs and feet are aching so decided to miss LSR this weekend - plan has not started officially yet so I figured now was time to use my pass!

Gonna go with the Boards Modified plan but please can anyone tell me what the target time range is for this plan? Nop had initially suggested HHN1 for me but looking at Boards plan I think I can maybe do it.

Enjoy the trip! Best of Luck Everyone!

If anyone on here does runs in Deer Park or Marley Park, or near by and wants to meet up for some runs or even if a group of us are interested in meeting then message me.. would be great to meet up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good luck to all starting your plans this week, I am planning on partaking again this year too but my plan doesn't start for another two weeks. It was a great journey last year and hoping to do it even better this year. I am looking forward to seeing how you all get on!
    Just remember in the moments where it is tough, maybe you're on your own in the middle of nowhere and you're not even halfway through your planned run or you are struggling a few miles into a planned marathon pace run and thinking how can I do 26.2 miles of this....if you really want this you will find it in you to keep going.
    You will find many answers here and elsewhere about how to train for this race and you should follow them as best you can....however the motivation really has to come from within. Tap into that, focus on the why you are doing this, focus on what it really means to you and use that for when the going gets tough. You will have many internal and even external conversations along the way, you will question your sanity but you are not mad you are just determined and you want to cross that start and finish line in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Weekly Update:

I missed Tuesday and Wednesday this week due to work so had to cram everything in between Thursday and Sunday. I was volunteering at HOTW on Sat, had to leave Portlaoise before 6am to get to Kilkee and didn't get home until near 6pm so I was too shattered to run Sat evening so I ended up doing two runs on Sunday to make up for it.

Legs actually felt good and strong, my second run on Sunday was fast, about 30 seconds off my PB for a 5K which I only got last week, I had already ran 6.5 miles that morning so I was very pleased with that. That's the end of any fast runs for the next 18 weeks, time to start the plan now, looking forward to a rest day tomorrow before it all kicks off! Good luck to all :)

Mon: Rest
    Tues: Rest
    Wed: Rest
    Thurs: 8 Miles LSR
    Friday: 3.1 Miles Recovery
    Sat: Rest (Kind of!)
    Sun: 6.5 Miles Easy and 3.1 Miles Fast with a half a mile warm down.

Total Mileage for the week was 21.4 Miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

MORNING!

Eh, nop asked for a few words but I certainly can't add to anything he has already said. Same with DCM Graduates, keep popping in lads!

So it is P day, this means you have 125 days till DCM.

You are in for a tough few months and the marathon will be referred to as a 20 mile run and a 10k race.

Put in the training, be sensible.

Follow the plan, listen to advice. Don't do something stupid like run on an injury when told to rest. Take physio advice and be prepared to spend money on yourselves as a result.

We are here to help and assist. You'll be told time and time again to slow down, we aren't doing this for the craic, it's for your own sake.

If you don't understand the plan then please ask. Print the plan, email to yourselves if you can't access your main one. Track all runs.

Don't bother setting PB's in training. PB's are for race day!

Have your races all scheduled and amend weeks accordingly if they don't match the plan.

Track miles in the runners if you can and rotate them. Don't let it get to Oct and you need new runners that aren't broken in.

Any questions please ask.

Looking for motivation, not our job. You have to do this for yourselves.

Join in and help the conversation. The Novices last year arranged to meet up and do a long run at times. It worked out really well as then they ran some of the route, got to know each other and had someone to chat to on race day or at the race series. Be prepared to be sociable as it helps everyone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

kin9pin wrote: »
    Weekly update:

Tue: 5.6m easy @9:34
    Wed: 4.4m. 1m wu, 4x5min intervals @8:00, 1m cd
    Fri: 3.2m easy @ 9:22
    Sat: 5m fartlek, Avg 8:45
    Sun: 7m. 4m @ 10:00, last 3m @ 8:30

Total 25m

Big mistake today. Didn't realise how humid it was and I didn't wear a compression top. Bad case of nipple chafing for such a short run! I can only imagine how bad it would be over 26 miles.

Ouch ouch. At this stage in training, I bought a large roll of kinesiology tape, and for every run longer than ~8-9M, I cut off two little bits and tape them off. Never had a problem with it again.

Bad week for me. Was hoping to get out 4 or 5 times. Did 3 miles Monday ( 1st run after 2 weeks off) did 5 miles Tuesday. Woke up Wednesday could feel a cold coming on. Went out for the match Wednesday night, been smothered with a cold since then.

Hopefully I'll be right to start the plan on Tuesday.

Take it easy, All or nothing. Don't rush back, it's only week 1 (:eek:). If you feel you need an extra day or two, take them.

• Advertisement

Classic21 wrote: »
    Weekly update

3 day running this week as I was preparing for a half marathon on Saturday. Mileage for week was 25 miles.

Tuesday, I had a club run. warm up (2 miles) race (2 miles @ 6:15 /mile) and cool dawn (1 mile).
    Thursday was tempo night. 6.5 miles @ 7:55 /mile).
    Saturday was race day. 13.1 miles @ 7:04 /mile, 1:33:00 and a PB. Very happy with race. started well for 5 miles but slowed until mile 10. Last three were 7:11, 7:01 & 6:55 so strong finish
    Racing is over now and time to put the head down to long slow miles.

Wow, Classic21, that's a fabulous time. Congratulations! Take it easy this week, I'm sure that has taken a slight toll on the legs!

I think I'm gonna do it all!! - looking at the Hal Higdon training plan. Have done a good few 10k runs and a half marathon in 2014 so not a complete stranger to running, but happy to start off from the beginning.

One question, the Hal Higdon plan seems to have a half marathon run at week 8 - do I just move this around this around to align with the Dublin Half Marathon or leave it as is?

Hey splasthecash, in the opening post to this thread, you'll see a couple of questions that you may consider answering and posting here. It'll help to gauge where you are.

There are also links to the adapted HHN1 and Boards.ie plans, which take the DCHM in September (and the FD 10-miler) into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dcm 2016

Hi guys heading to Lanzarote in July for two weeks. Running my first DCM this year just concerned about long runs in the heat I have two 13 milers when im there any advice be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

dcm 2016 wrote: »
    Hi guys heading to Lanzarote in July for two weeks. Running my first DCM this year just concerned about long runs in the heat I have two 13 milers when im there any advice be much appreciated

Get up early and get them done before the heat of the day. Plan the route. Bring cash for more water. Be well hydrated before setting off. Not just the morning of but day before. Go easy and don't push in the heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Monday Gym

Tuesday 5k Rolling Hill Repeats (5k -3miles) & Gym

Wednesday Rest

Thursday 8k(5miles) Fast & Gym

Friday Rest

Saturday 21.4k(13miles) LSR (my first HM distance!!:eek:)

Sunday Rest & Beer

Good week for me, felt like I could have ran everyday but I think I'll settle for my routine of Gym on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and my runs on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

See if you can bookend the holiday with long runs, so you should only have to do one long one in the middle weekend while you're away.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Antodoran136

Monday rest
    Tuesday 13.02 k 5:18 pace
    Wednesday rest
    Thursday 6k 5:31 pace
    Friday rest
    Saturday 14:61 5:29 pace
    Sunday 5.53k 5:38pace

Done two fairly longish runs this week and felt good on both of them especially Saturday I'm really struggling to set my pace though how do you know what pace you should do your training runs at ?? I'm aiming for 3:45 marathon time for Oct . So many different opinions on Google your mind be all over the place after it .

Also anyone with experience when would you start using energy gels on long runs etc ??

Cheers for advice in advance

jameshayes wrote: »
    Monday Gym

Tuesday 5k Rolling Hill Repeats (5k -3miles) & Gym

Wednesday Rest

Thursday 8k(5miles) Fast & Gym

Friday Rest

Saturday 21.4k(13miles) LSR (my first HM distance!!:eek:)

Sunday Rest & Beer

Good week for me, felt like I could have ran everyday but I think I'll settle for my routine of Gym on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and my runs on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Great stuff on your long run where you pacing yourself or just happy enough to get the distance in your legs ??

Try get the runs done early morning or in the evening time best advice the heat will drain you of any energy you have especially a long run . I'm away in august for two weeks aswell couldn't be worse timing but have to live too and just keep ticking over while away bit of recovery too from pounding the roads 😂

Great stuff on your long run where you pacing yourself or just happy enough to get the distance in your legs ??

This is it here: https://www.strava.com/activities/620426494

It was slow but not too slow, my plan had suggested a lap time of 6.25-5.50 per KM so I was smack in the middle of it.. Nice feeling doing the half distance but scarey too thinking I've to do double that on the 30th of October!

• Advertisement

It was slow but not too slow, my plan had suggested a lap time of 6.25-5.50 per KM so I was smack in the middle of it.. Nice feeling doing the half distance but scarey too thinking I've to do double that on the 30th of October![/quote]

Good stuff steady all the way on that run . I know I swore after rock and roll half two years ago I'd never do a full but here I am haha ... what time have you in your head for full marathon ?

So here we go.. Won't update for last week as it was a bit haphazard. Took nop's advice and tried to get PB's out of the way and went for it in Marley Park Run yesterday and got near 2 mins off my time last week.. Very happy with sub 23mins and would have been happy with sub 24min TBH. Only my 2nd Park Run so was working out etiquette last week and this time around I was straight out of the blocks and making up ground. Think I know my Max HR now too...:eek:

A weekend of kids Mini WC soccer with setup etc, managing England U9's (no jokes..) and screaming at Ireland today.

The Park Run took it out of me and legs and feet are aching so decided to miss LSR this weekend - plan has not started officially yet so I figured now was time to use my pass!

Gonna go with the Boards Modified plan but please can anyone tell me what the target time range is for this plan? Nop had initially suggested HHN1 for me but looking at Boards plan I think I can maybe do it.

Enjoy the trip! Best of Luck Everyone!

If anyone on here does runs in Deer Park or Marley Park, or near by and wants to meet up for some runs or even if a group of us are interested in meeting then message me.. would be great to meet up.

Hello paddydriver - good job on the parkrun. Glad you got it out of the system! :)

For the Boards plan - there's a decent amount of mileage in it. You need to be reasonably sure you'll be able to do it. The target time is (as with everything) dependent on you and your planned goal time. From re-reading your original post, I think you should conservatively aim for something around the 4h30 mark -> PMP of 10:18 min/mi. Add at least 45 sec to that to arrive at your easy pace.

I recall a Novices LSR meet-up in the Phoenix Park from last year. Maybe once the plan settles in, we can organize something like that again.

Good stuff steady all the way on that run . I know I swore after rock and roll half two years ago I'd never do a full but here I am haha ... what time have you in your head for full marathon ?

Well I'm pretty sure this will be my only marathon - unless I ever get in somewhere like london by ballot or something

My plan is saying 3:56 but I don't think that is realistic, I'm guessing i'll be about 4:10-4:20

Well I'm pretty sure this will be my only marathon - unless I ever get in somewhere like london by ballot or something

My plan is saying 3:56 but I don't think that is realistic, I'm guessing i'll be about 4:10-4:20

Yeh I'm planning for 3.45 but gonna be tough it's a full time job training for it enjoying it though just the long runs are tough enough only so much music you can listen to .

Yeh I'm planning for 3.45 but gonna be tough it's a full time job training for it enjoying it though just the long runs are tough enough only so much music you can listen to .

Good luck to you man, that'd be a great time to complete it! avg pace of 5.20 :eek:

I'm a newb so I'm not that fast/dont have much endurance - this time last year I struggled to complete 5k, and when I managed it it was in 30+ minutes..

Good luck to you man, that'd be a great time to complete it! avg pace of 5.20 :eek:

I'm a newb so I'm not that fast/dont have much endurance - this time last year I struggled to complete 5k, and when I managed it it was in 30+ minutes..

That's the plan anyhow that could change soon enough ha anyhow best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Music? What's that? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

This is it here: https://www.strava.com/activities/620426494

It was slow but not too slow, my plan had suggested a lap time of 6.25-5.50 per KM so I was smack in the middle of it.. Nice feeling doing the half distance but scarey too thinking I've to do double that on the 30th of October!

Great run! I see it was pretty much all uphill for the last 10k and you held a great pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭aceygray

nop98 wrote: »

I recall a Novices LSR meet-up in the Phoenix Park from last year. Maybe once the plan settles in, we can organize something like that again.

I was actually going to suggest this, but I have to work this weekend, so will be doing my long run in the evening. I would definitely be interested in future weeks though. It would be nice to do some of the half marathon course maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SausageDogDave

LSR meet-ups sound like a good idea once we get going...

I guess we'd need to get an idea though pace groups, numbers for each pace group and preferred location(s) to see if we'd have enough.

I've added a tab to the millage tracker. Maybe people could stick their name down as a way to gauge interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dcm 2016

Try get the runs done early morning or in the evening time best advice the heat will drain you of any energy you have especially a long run . I'm away in august for two weeks aswell couldn't be worse timing but have to live too and just keep ticking over while away bit of recovery too from pounding the roads 😂

Many thanks for that. Will do I think I will have a water tank strapped to my back very hot over there at the min. Will do my very best to get up and out early to get my runs in. Cheers

I have put together this year's Novices Mileage Tracker Spreadsheet..

The purpose of the tracker is for anyone who wants, to track their mileage in one location, throughout the training weeks. As with everything, participating is completely optional. It's helpful for me and my 'backroom staff' to see your progress in one location and to be able to quickly look back and compare. It's also inspiring for you guys to see your own totals going up. However, keep in mind, this is not a competition. As with the Strava group, don't try and out-do the others in terms of mileage.

In order to use the sheet, you need a Google account but other than that, you should be good to go. Go to the "Wk 1" sheet and grab the next available line. Enter your boards username and details and all other weekly sheets should be automagically set-up. From Monday, you can start entering your miles or kilometers!

And the first miles are logged. What's that speck of dust doing in my eye? Ahem. I'm cool. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Szilvike

Unfortunately I have to do my long runs on Mondays as I always work on weekends, both days. I'd like to do the 10mi race on 20th Aug (that's going to be my very first race, just to see what it is like, before the marathon :)), which is on a Saturday. So on that week (Boards plan), I'd have 10mi on Monday, then 10mi on Saturday the race itself, then 17mi on the following day (Monday). Any advice, what should I do...? Skip the 17mi lsr and this way have a long gap and a big jump between the next long run which is going to be 19mi? Or maybe do 7 more miles after the race so this way I basically just move my 17mi lsr two days back?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Hi all,

Best of luck with the training ahead.

Mileage Update
    Sun 19th June 3miles
    Mon 11 miles
    Tues 3 miles (very slow as day after lsr)
    Wed/Thurs rest
    Fri 5mile
    Sat 10 miles (to get use to running lsr on Sat am)
    Sun 26th June 3 miles (very slow post last)
    Delighted with my mileage as best week yet!!!!

Starting Boards plan with five days running (as last week was a bit excessive as missed my lsr due to Irish Runner 5 mile earlier in June so was playing catch up so strange week as once off!)

Just tried to update the Tracker Mileage as my plan is starting tomorrow, but iPad won't let me, do you need to be on a PC?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 doozerydoo

Antwerp wrote: »
    Hi all,

Mileage Update
    Sun 19th June 3miles
    Mon 11 miles
    Wed/Thurs rest
    Fri 5mile

Starting Boards plan with five days running (as last week was a bit excessive as missed my lsr due to Irish Runner 5 mile earlier in June so was playing catch up so strange week as once off!)

Just tried to update the Tracker Mileage as my plan is starting tomorrow, but iPad won't let me, do you need to be on a PC?

Thanks!

If you download the Google sheets app onto your iPad you'll be able to open and edit it on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Szilvike wrote: »
    Unfortunately I have to do my long runs on Mondays as I always work on weekends, both days. I'd like to do the 10mi race on 20th Aug (that's going to be my very first race, just to see what it is like, before the marathon :)), which is on a Saturday. So on that week (Boards plan), I'd have 10mi on Monday, then 10mi on Saturday the race itself, then 17mi on the following day (Monday). Any advice, what should I do...? Skip the 17mi lsr and this way have a long gap and a big jump between the next long run which is going to be 19mi? Or maybe do 7 more miles after the race so this way I basically just move my 17mi lsr two days back?

As the songs goes.....One day at a time, Sweet Jesus.....or in running terms Crawl, Walk, Run. I suggest you concentrate on getting up and going on your plan and deal with each week as it comes for the next 5/6 weeks. Just getting the runs done and dealing with the initial build up and any teething problems should be where you focus during this period. Early August is the time to start looking at what tweaks might needed to be done to facilitate the FD10. Your progress between now and then will better allow us advise you on the best option for you.

Hi Szilvike,

If you do all your LSRs on Mondays, I would suggest you consider the Monday of Week 2 the end of your Week 1. And the Monday of Week 3 the end of your Week 2. That way, you can follow mostly the same program, it's just shifted a few days. Is that what you're planning to do?

That way, the week of Aug 15 will start with the LSR from the week before (14M), and I would shift one of the easy mid-week runs in that week, to after the FD10. Definitely don't do 17M the day after a 10M race.

In other words, the week of FD10 will see your 14M LSR, mid-week runs (skip one easy run), and FD10. The week after, do a decent recovery run on Sunday if possible, follow the normal mid-week stuff, and do your 17M LSR on the Monday after, like "normal".

Does this make sense? You will want to bring in the LSRs a few days come October, but we'll discuss that closer to the time :)

babaracus wrote: »
    Good luck to everybdy starting their DCM plans this week. A few words of encouragement: Before January this year I had never run longer than 8 miles. Yesterday after following the HH Novice 2 plan I completed the Waterford marathon in 3:58. The long hours of training, the doubts, the pain all worthwhile. It can be done! Full race report to follow.

Stairs are a major problem today :)

Great result, Babaracus, great achievement in five months, well done, thanks for the encouragement which should help all of us Novices.

doozerydoo wrote: »
    If you download the Google sheets app onto your iPad you'll be able to open and edit it on there.

Thanks for that, think the sun is distracting my brain!!!!

Antwerp wrote: »
    Hi all,

Mileage Update
    Sun 19th June 3miles
    Mon 11 miles
    Wed/Thurs rest
    Fri 5mile

Thanks!

Best of luck with the Boards Plan. As a general rule catch up is not a good idea. There will be times over the next 18 weeks that life gets in the way and you will have to make calls to miss some runs. If this happens then when its gone its gone. If you start playing catch you will create a knock on effect that could have a much bigger impact that missing one or two runs.....IMHO :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭budhistmonk

Hi Szilvike, I notice in the milage tracker spreadsheet you've already done your 8m SLR for week one of the boards plan today. Would it help if you did your LSR on the Monday so it's at the end of the running week so each week of your plan starts on a Tuesday and ends on a Monday e.g for boards plan wk 1 would be something like:
    Tue: 3m Easy
    Wed: rest,cross, 3m rec
    Thur: PMP
    Fri 3m easy
    Sat: rest, cross. rev
    Sun: rest,cross, rec
    Mon: 8m LSR.

and so on for subsequent weeks.

For the FD 10 miler then you would then be running it on the Sat instead of two days later on the monday i.e. LSR day (and on that Monday you could run a rec or easy run) and would be doing the 17m lsr on the following Monday i.e. 9 days after the FD 10M race.

Anyway just wondering if this might work better for you. Apologies if it doesn't help at all :-)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    As the songs goes.....One day at a time, Sweet Jesus.....or in running terms Crawl, Walk, Run. I suggest you concentrate on getting up and going on your plan and deal with each week as it comes for the next 5/6 weeks. Just getting the runs done and dealing with the initial build up and any teething problems should be where you focus during this period. Early August is the time to start looking at what tweaks might needed to be done to facilitate the FD10. Your progress between now and then will better allow us advise you on the best option for you.

You're probably right FBOT01 and I shouldn't worry so soon. It's just that I like to have everything planned ahead :) But will come back with my question then when we're getting closer to the race day!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭budhistmonk

Hi Szilvike,

If you do all your LSRs on Mondays, I would suggest you consider the Monday of Week 2 the end of your Week 1. And the Monday of Week 3 the end of your Week 2. That way, you can follow mostly the same program, it's just shifted a few days. Is that what you're planning to do?

That way, the week of Aug 15 will start with the LSR from the week before (14M), and I would shift one of the easy mid-week runs in that week, to after the FD10. Definitely don't do 17M the day after a 10M race.

In other words, the week of FD10 will see your 14M LSR, mid-week runs (skip one easy run), and FD10. The week after, do a decent recovery run on Sunday if possible, follow the normal mid-week stuff, and do your 17M LSR on the Monday after, like "normal".

Does this make sense? You will want to bring in the LSRs a few days come October, but we'll discuss that closer to the time :)
    +1 - you beat me to it nop. just posted the same suggestion.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the Boards Plan. As a general rule catch up is not a good idea. There will be times over the next 18 weeks that life gets in the way and you will have to make calls to miss some runs. If this happens then when its gone its gone. If you start playing catch you will create a knock on effect that could have a much bigger impact that missing one or two runs.....IMHO :)

Ah thanks FBOT01, don't worry last week was a once off, starting tomorrow I will be following the Boards plan religiously......have deleted those two words..'catch what??? '....From my memory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I have added my name to the tracker like I said the next few weeks for me will be fairly sporadic with holidays coming up Thursday week, my plan will really kick off the last Monday in July.

Definitely interested in meet ups for weekend LSR if anyone is up for them.

Craig

nop98 and budhistmonk, this makes complete sense, thanks so much!! That's exactly what I will do then :)

You're probably right FBOT01 and I shouldn't worry so soon. It's just that I like to have everything planned ahead :) But will come back with my question then when we're getting closer to the race day!

Sure where would the fun be in that :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Happy P-Day. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

Can't believe we are at kick off!!!

Update : Mon 3 m @ 10.30 pace
    Tues 4m 10.50 pace
    Thurs 3m @ 10.50 pace
    Sat 9 @ 11.30 pace

Been using these runs to try and tune myself into my pace. I have a tendency to drift into a train of thought and unknown to myself speed up to 9 minute miles!! (During my LSR I thought out possible endings to Game of Thrones! - miles flew by!)

Looking forward to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭babaracus

Also anyone with experience when would you start using energy gels on long runs etc ??

Just on this point...... what I found is the key to gels is to test them on long runs to know you will be able to stomach them in the heat of battle.Once you know they are ok on your system well then take them at planned intervals. If you are feeling crap and you take a gel it could be too late..it is going to take time to take effect....so take them religiously at the appointed time that you have planned when running the marathon. For runs shorter than 10 miles I personally did not find gels necessary. For a half marathon I would have taken one at about 5 miles regardless how good I was feeling and maybe another at 9. For long runs/marathon I would take one at 5, 10 and 15 miles. And follow the same timing for the marathon with another at about 19 and then a death or glory one about 21.

BTW I used Hi-5 isogels with caffeine. Citrus flavoured. A little less sweet than the orange flavoured ones. The Isogels are easier to take and easier on the digestive system as they are more watery than the straight gels. But they are heavier to carry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement