Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Went out for a test run last night - I done just over 6 miles and burned 800kcals. I done as the physio recommended and ate within 20 mins of finishing (I had a cheese sandwich waiting in the car) and then made sure to eat back every one of the calories I had burned - not as easy as I first thought :S
    Today - no calf pain!! It will take 2/3 weeks to restock my glycogen levels and then I can trial 5 runs a week again :)
    MyFitnessPal is now my best friend, I want to try end the day on 0kcal and not have hundreds left over. I made a batch of porridge bread and stuck it in the freezer - handy to just throw in the toaster if I need to eat up some leftover kcal in the evenings.

I was wondering about this a few weeks back, my long run on Saturday burned 1996 calories (strava calculations with HRM) - I mentioned on this thread that there was no way I could possibly eat that back in food and I was told that you only need to make up a third of the spent calories..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I don't think your Garmin or what ever you use to track your runs are accurate when it comes to calculating the amount of calories you burn. Most likely always overestimate it. Maybe eat something with a protein carb mix after your run but I don't think you need to go to town on it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

1/3 of spend sounds much easier, I've my long run on Sunday - I'd be eating for the day afterwards :D
    I'll try eating one third of my kcal after my next run, I think the most important thing for me is to eat within 20 mins of finishing a run. I have a good recovery drink I usually keep for runs over 12 miles, but I'll start taking it on my 10 miler this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Went out for a test run last night - I done just over 6 miles and burned 800kcals. I done as the physio recommended and ate within 20 mins of finishing (I had a cheese sandwich waiting in the car) and then made sure to eat back every one of the calories I had burned - not as easy as I first thought :S
    Today - no calf pain!! It will take 2/3 weeks to restock my glycogen levels and then I can trial 5 runs a week again :)
    MyFitnessPal is now my best friend, I want to try end the day on 0kcal and not have hundreds left over. I made a batch of porridge bread and stuck it in the freezer - handy to just throw in the toaster if I need to eat up some leftover kcal in the evenings.
    jameshayes wrote: »
    I was wondering about this a few weeks back, my long run on Saturday burned 1996 calories (strava calculations with HRM) - I mentioned on this thread that there was no way I could possibly eat that back in food and I was told that you only need to make up a third of the spent calories..?
    I don't think your Garmin or what ever you use to track your runs are accurate when it comes to calculating the amount of calories you burn. Most likely always overestimate it. Maybe eat something with a protein carb mix after your run but I don't think you need to go to town on it either.

A third of spent calories is all you need to put back in, otherwise you will start to put on weight. Something with some protein in will do well to fill you. Peanut butter works a treat on anything really for such things.

1/3 of spend sounds much easier, I've my long run on Sunday - I'd be eating for the day afterwards :D
    I'll try eating one third of my kcal after my next run, I think the most important thing for me is to eat within 20 mins of finishing a run. I have a good recovery drink I usually keep for runs over 12 miles, but I'll start taking it on my 10 miler this weekend.

Yup that sounds good to me, something within 20mins of finishing. Doesn't have to be anything crazy...a banana will do I find or some toast and peanut butter. And ideally then a proper meal 1hr after that I think is the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

donglen wrote: »
    Hi All, good luck to all the 2016 novices, you’re undertaking an extremely tough challenge that will test you both physically and mentally. However, you can do it! I’m proof of that. I successfully completed the 2015 Marathon journey, it was epic! I didn’t come from a running background and really didn’t think I’d even get through the training plan but just went for it to see what would happen. I was essentially just running to try to keep in shape but with the help, tips and guidance from last year’s version of this thread (all hail mentor Dubgal), it made it so much easier to keep going when times were tough.

8 months on and I’m back to take it on again, while technically not a “novice" I’m still just plodding along to keep in shape and that suits me fine. I’m a great man for a pint and a takeaway so trust me, I’m still a complete novice and will again lean on this thread hugely for advice as needed and will of course share any advice that I have gained from last year (particularly to the back of the pack runners!)

Best of luck to this year’s mentor, nop98……..a huge commitment…..but then you know this by now J

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Not a big man for races: 2015 DCM, 04:59:06

2016 April, 4 Mile : 00:32:24

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    Nope

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Usually 3-4 runs per week, approx. 15-20 miles per week, last week LSR was 10 miles which is the furthest I’ve run since last year’s marathon.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Last year I called 5 hours and beat that by 54 seconds! This year I’m going all out, 04:45!

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I hope to do 4 times a week, the knees will complain if I try to exceed this. HHN1 got me over the line last year, same again.

Why are you running this marathon?

To re-capture the buzz from last year?

To have something to focus on that will improve my health, physical and mental?

Lose a few pounds?

To inspire my kids to get out there and take on the world!

All of the above…….…..and so much more.

Hey Donglen, welcome back!

Don't have a lot of feedback, you've been through the journey before and I think you have proper respect for the distance and the effort involved. Go do!

Out of interest, if you look back at last year, what was the best thing you learned during the training cycle? And what are you going to change this time around?

Good luck! :)

GeraldineN wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm really excited about doing this, and so glad to have come across this thread, so here goes......

I have run 3 marathons before, Dublin twice, and Paris once, my best time has been 4.25 in Dublin, but that was a few years ago (before I became a couch potato again, and lost my mo-jo)
    I don't always need to take walk breaks, really depends on mood, eating, tiredness etc., but in general, no.
    I've just started back at the gym, I was doing more weights etc. for the past while so I feel I'm still (reasonably) fit and healthy even if my age is (maybe?) against me (I'm 48)
    I feel I've allowed myself to fall into a rut recently, so I will finish Dublin Marathon 2016 with such a sense of achievement. I have followed Hal Higdon's Novice program before, and I can do as many days as required from the program. for my cross training I swam, but I could do some gym classes if needs be.
    I'm running this marathon because people have said I'm full of 'some day' talk, well that day is now and I will do this!
    Looking forward to sharing with everyone :)

Geraldine

Hi Geraldine - welcome to the thread!

I hope you'll achieve your goals, I'd recommend a careful approach to getting back into full marathon training after (your words :)) falling into a rut. HHN1 sounds perfect, make sure to work out your proper training paces and try and follow the program as closely as possible. This will be 4 days a week, if you can and feel up to it, you can throw in an extra few miles at recovery pace the day after your long run.

Swimming for cross-training is perfect, low impact and great aerobic work. Keep the easy days easy!

Hopefully Oct 30 is your "some day" :) Good luck and looking forward to seeing your progress.

Cameoette wrote: »
    thanks for the welcome guys.

- Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k Movember 2012: 34.35
    10k Run in the Dark 2013: 1.09
    Half marathon SSE 2015: 2.34. I don't like to rush ;)

- Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No.

- How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Ok so THIS is my weakness right now. I have only started back running regularly after maybe a month off because I have a 1 year old who loves to stay up at night! Sleep or lack of it is my biggest issue right now but things seems to be getting better on this front so hoping it continues. I would do several 3m runs a week, maybe 3...and then long runs..haven't done a long run in well over a month.
    - What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    My dream finishing time would be 4.30. But I really just want to finish it in one piece.

- How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I am following HH Novice, going to follow it to the letter!

- Why are you running this marathon?
    Oh endless reasons....first started running in 2012 to deal with weight creeping on. The weight melted off but really it was the mind that benefited the most, I couldn't believe (and still can't) how much running has changed me and helped me to cope when sh*t hits the fan, as it does in life. I ran throughout my pregnancy up until 24 weeks and loved it. Did the Half marathon around my daughter's first birthday and loved how training helped give me some quiet time to think after just becoming a mother.
    So I guess I am doing this marathon as a sort of tribute to running, and all it has given me, in a way :)

Hi Cameoette - thanks for joining the thread!

I love your enthusiasm for running and 100% agree with the quiet time. There'll be many quiet hours ahead to look forward to! I'm shamelessly using your words to advocate the running without music once again.

Much as I enjoyed last year's journey, I do recall lacing up for an easy mid-week 5/6 mile and, being tired, I thought that it was the last thing I wanted to do - but as always, it delivered, I loved even those few miles, and I felt great afterwards.

Okay, onto more serious stuff. I am a little concerned about the lack of miles in your legs - and the fact that you've been struggling to get into a decent routine off late. So... you're going to have to take this journey one step at the time. In practical terms, one week at the time. Print out HHN1 and see how you get on - can you fit in the runs without feeling exhausted, does it fit in with your family's needs, can you cope with the increasing distances, etc.

You point out that real life has a habit of getting in the way of a good night sleep. I've been there (as have many others on this thread, no doubt) and fully appreciate how debilitating this can be, so again, take it very easy - most importantly, be prepared to re-assess your running goals.

My advice: set your initial goals at the 10-miler in August (not too far away!) and the HM in September. If you manage to get there in one piece, we'll aim for the real deal in October.

One of the best pieces of advice on the novices thread from last year was "don't be too attached to the outcome". I have no doubt you want to get to the start line as much as all the other novices, but you'll have an extra hard journey ahead. Don't be too disappointed if (for very good reasons) it doesn't work out - there will be other races and DCM'17.

That said, welcome on board and I am really hoping you progress well over the next few weeks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Classic21

nop98 wrote: »
    Wow, Classic21, that's a fabulous time. Congratulations! Take it easy this week, I'm sure that has taken a slight toll on the legs!

Hi Nop
    You were right the legs took a few days to get over the race last weekend so I'm just starting this evening on my plan. Easing into it with a few miles then kickoff properly on Saturday.
    Definitely leaving the racing until after DCM. Recovery after a race takes a few days that I don't want to give up and pushing hard on race days is cutting it too close to getting an injury.
    Easy running from now!

If my maths are correct this adds up to the 23 "Planned" miles but over 6 runs. Should we be running 6 times per week for the boards plan? I was only planning to do 5 with 2 x rest/cross and will probably stick with that from a logistics perspective. Just interested to know if I am going off plan here. Apologies if I added confusion here or if you've already addressed this previously.

Hi budhistmonk -

You're right, 5x running a week is plenty (3 mid-week sessions, 1 LSR, 1 rec run) and ideally one day rest and one day cross. I have added another totals column to the table to clarify it.

I have also added descriptions of the sessions in the training sheet. Hope this helps? Apologies for the confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Okay, onto more serious stuff. I am a little concerned about the lack of miles in your legs - and the fact that you've been struggling to get into a decent routine off late. So... you're going to have to take this journey one step at the time. In practical terms, one week at the time. Print out HHN1 and see how you get on - can you fit in the runs without feeling exhausted, does it fit in with your family's needs, can you cope with the increasing distances, etc.

You point out that real life has a habit of getting in the way of a good night sleep. I've been there (as have many others on this thread, no doubt) and fully appreciate how debilitating this can be, so again, take it very easy - most importantly, be prepared to re-assess your running goals.

My advice: set your initial goals at the 10-miler in August (not too far away!) and the HM in September. If you manage to get there in one piece, we'll aim for the real deal in October.

Super advice Nop, I really appreciate it. :)I too am pretty concerned about the lack of base fitness and miles in the legs at the moment. I am being quietly optimistic but being realistic that there is a strong possibility that I might not make it to the start line of DCM at all. I am registering for the Frank Duffy 10 mile as I speak and that is definitely my primary goal over the next few weeks. Hal Higdon's novice plan is printed and I am slowly ticking off the miles!

Unfortunately the HM in Sept clashes with a week's holidays abroad so I am not sure whether to look for another HM around the same time, maybe a little earlier?

Luckily, I have a gem of a physio, so I will seek help early for any problems that will (inevitably) surface.

Hurrah to this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I'm getting ahead of myself again, but I'm a bit confused about how we should be running the FD 10m and DCHM. They're down as "race (PP)". On the HHN1 sheet it actually says "give it socks" so does this mean we should be going all out or should we be running at PMP?
    Only reason I'm asking is that there's no rest days after these, we get straight back into the plan. On the Boards plan there's 39m planned in the week after the DCHM. For my Clontarf half next Saturday I'm taking 4 complete days rest before easing back in from the Thursday.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SausageDogDave

kin9pin wrote: »
    I'm getting ahead of myself again, but I'm a bit confused about how we should be running the FD 10m and DCHM. They're down as "race (PP)". On the HHN1 sheet it actually says "give it socks" so does this mean we should be going all out or should we be running at PMP?
    Only reason I'm asking is that there's no rest days after these, we get straight back into the plan. On the Boards plan there's 39m planned in the week after the DCHM. For my Clontarf half next Saturday I'm taking 4 complete days rest before easing back in from the Thursday.

Thanks

I saw this on Hal Higdon site about post marathon recovery
    Half Marathon Recovery: Running 13.1 miles generally does not tear down the body as much as does running 26.2 miles--even for novice runners. There is something about crossing the 20-miler barrier, often referred to as "The Wall," that tears us apart...... In a half marathon, you stop far short of The Wall. A few days of rest or easy jogging, and you should be able to resume training. In fact, most of my 18-week marathon training programs include a test half marathon around Week 8 or Week 9, and even most novices survive that test without problems.

I guess this assumes we remember to keep the easy days easy, both before and after the FD and DCHM.

*note the (PP) there refers to "Phoenix Park" I think, not Planned Pace...though I could be wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Welcome to those who've just joined. Re gels, I don't have much experience with them at longer distances. I tried one at mile 7 on a 10 mile run the other week I needed some fluid. I'll probably stick with water, for the most part. Haven't tried food yet.

I've been nudged to do the Venice marathon which is a week before DCM. Would it be off the wall to consider it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Thanks. I suppose I'll just see how I feel on the day. Got a feeling ill be taking it easy in the DCHM as it's quite close to the marathon.
    Never even thought about PP meaning Phoenix Park!

kin9pin wrote: »

Thanks

It's up to you, kin9pin, but you have "permission" to race both races at full throttle. Last year, there were many PBs set during both races.

You don't have to, obviously. For some, the timing/day/geography isn't right. But the plans (especially the boards plan) throttle back a little around the FD10 and before the DCM, so if you want to give it a go, you can. It'll be a great way to gauge you progress and also practice the pre-race routine.

PP = Phoenix Park. :o Added that to the plans, too.

I've been nudged to do the Venice marathon which is a week before DCM. Would it be off the wall to consider it?

:D That actually made me laugh. Thanks TBO!

JackieChan wrote: »
    I'm another DCM newbie.

- Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k Park Run June 2016: 19:50
    10k K Club (April 2016): 44:00

- Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No.

- How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I only really started running from March this year. I've really enjoyed and train probably between 4-6 days a week.

So this is usually intervals twice a week(sessions are varied - 400m,800m,1k,1m,2k repeats and sometimes pyramids).
    I like to get a 10k run in on a Wednesday(easy approx 5:20/k pace) and also on Fridays(if I don't take that as a rest day), a long run on a Sunday could be between 10k-25k depending on how I feel(the last few weeks its been towards the higher end). Saturday will be a 20min tempo(4:15/k) or in recent weeks a Park Run(but that's only because I wanted to set a decent 5k time)
    I take Monday as a rest day but will take other days if I feel I need them but wont sacrifice my long run!
    I also run from/to work each day(except Monday) so that's another 24k from that(usually at 5:30/k pace).

I would be happy to finish sub 4hr, would dream of sub 3:30!

- How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I will continue to train 4-6 days a week.

- Why are you running this marathon?
    I never thought I would be doing a marathon this year. I signed up for a 10k in April and really enjoyed it. As the weeks progressed and my fitness improved I could run 2hrs without a problem and decided to sign up for the Marathon.

On the subject of gels, I've bought two trial packs on Amazon to try out as they are cheap
    High 5 Sports Nutrition Marathon Race Pack Mix and
    High 5 Race Pack - Road Cycle, MTB, Triathlon - Race Faster Pack.

I'll try one or two of these on a long run to see how they feel on my stomach. Other than having some water on board before long runs I tend not to eat before them so it will be "interesting" to see how they feel

Hello Jackie Chan,

Welcome to the thread. You seem to have quite a knack for the auld running if you've managed to get your 5/10k times down to those sort of times already, having only started in March.

You should really consider following a structured marathon training program. It looks like you've come up with a routine yourself, but the best advice I can give you is to consider the boards plan or another intermediate marathon training plan. These plans have gotten 1,000s of runners to the start (and finish!) on the day. It will provide structure and proper build-up and tapering and you'll find that most of the folks here are following the same plans.

What's your average weekly mileage? And is your runmute 24km per day (!?) or per week?

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

PP = Phoenix Park. :o Added that to the plans, too.

Ha! I was like 'this must mean "Practice Pace"'.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭budhistmonk

Hi budhistmonk -

You're right, 5x running a week is plenty (3 mid-week sessions, 1 LSR, 1 rec run) and ideally one day rest and one day cross. I have added another totals column to the table to clarify it.

I have also added descriptions of the sessions in the training sheet. Hope this helps? Apologies for the confusion.

Thanks AGAIN nop. Really appreciate it. You're updates in the sheet make complete sense and the session descriptions are really useful. I think I might be over-thinking things a bit. How the hell will I be in 17 and a bit weeks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SausageDogDave

You obviously mean do the Venice Marathon instead of the DCM?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You obviously mean do the Venice Marathon instead of the DCM?

It was more of a 'Go on, do it - shure, you'd have plenty of time to recover... before Dublin', nudge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It was more of a 'Go on, do it - shure, you'd have plenty of time to recover... before Dublin', nudge...

Ah would you stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Enjoy the matches, Battery - and there's no need to make any decision either way. Do hang around the thread, even follow HHN1 if you can until the half, you can always make up your mind then.
    Cheers nop! Back into the swing of things now after France. I've (pretty much) decided to give it a miss this year. I've decided to have the half in September as the main event (hoping for sub 1:40) and I'm gonna put in some good half marathon workouts that aren't necessarily conducive to marathon training. It'll also allow me to build up mileage over Christmas and have a really good go at the marathon next year. I want to make sure I'm ready and confident to put in a time I'll be happy with, rather than struggling through and really not enjoying it.

Thanks again for doing this all, and good luck to all those taking it on this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Just looked it up there. Looks like a brilliant Marathon, I like this:
    In the final part of the marathon route (last 3 kilometers), runners will face 14 little bridges over Venice's canals. Wooden ramps are put in place to prevent athletes from running on the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Cheers nop! Back into the swing of things now after France. I've (pretty much) decided to give it a miss this year. I've decided to have the half in September as the main event (hoping for sub 1:40) and I'm gonna put in some good half marathon workouts that aren't necessarily conducive to marathon training. It'll also allow me to build up mileage over Christmas and have a really good go at the marathon next year. I want to make sure I'm ready and confident to put in a time I'll be happy with, rather than struggling through and really not enjoying it.

Thanks again for doing this all, and good luck to all those taking it on this year!

Best of luck with your training whatever you decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Shiny new runners purchased today, the old ones were close to needing a decontamination chamber!

Stuck with Brooks,the GTS 15 served me well still in decent enough shape to alternate between the 2 pairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

My new runners should arrive tonight from Parcel Motel. I picked up a pair of Saucony Triumph, looking forward to breaking them in!

Picked up first minor injury today, the nail in my big toe cut into my skin slightly so was very tender all day, got home from work and had a look and I find it is slightly infected and the toe is swollen. Got herself to have a look at it, i'm useless with toes (like a big baby!) lol... She cleaned it out and sorted it for me anyway (my son had a good laugh at me whinging while herself was performing surgery!) :-)

I will skip my short run tonight and do it tomorrow evening instead, it should be fine to run on by then i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

tony1980 wrote: »
    My new runners should arrive tonight from Parcel Motel. I picked up a pair of Saucony Triumph, looking forward to breaking them in!

Picked up first minor injury today, the nail in my big toe cut into my skin slightly so was very tender all day, got home from work and had a look and I find it is slightly infected and the toe is swollen. Got herself to have a look at it, i'm useless with toes (like a big baby!) lol... She cleaned it out and sorted it for me anyway (my son had a good laugh at me whinging while herself was performing surgery!) :-)

I will skip my short run tonight and do it tomorrow evening instead, it should be fine to run on by then i'd say.

Toe injuries can turn very nasty quite quickly Tony so mind it.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    Toe injuries can turn very nasty quite quickly Tony so mind it.

Will do TM...hopefully it clears up quick but I will take it easy for a few days if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Sounds like an ingrown toenail. Was it the edge of the nail and is it noticeably bending into the toe?

I had an ingrown toenail about a year ago and it was horrible. It was sore to walk with and I was walking with a limp. Luckily, the fact that I run mid-foot strike meant that I could run on it no bother, which was nice.

Anyway, if it is an ingrown toenail, keep a close eye on it. They can spiral out of control quick and I ended up having to take antibiotics to get rid of the pain. It's still technically ingrown and not fully fixed, but it's not sore anymore so I haven't bothered getting it checked yet, though I really should.

Sounds like an ingrown toenail. Was it the edge of the nail and is it noticeably bending into the toe?

I had an ingrown toenail about a year ago and it was horrible. It was sore to walk with and I was walking with a limp. Luckily, the fact that I run mid-foot strike meant that I could run on it no bother, which was nice.

Anyway, if it is an ingrown toenail, keep a close eye on it. They can spiral out of control quick and I ended up having to take antibiotics to get rid of the pain. It's still technically ingrown and not fully fixed, but it's not sore anymore so I haven't bothered getting it checked yet, though I really should.

The funny thing is, it used to curl in while growing but herself has helped me sort that out. I have a new pair of workshoes, that and a piece of the nail which just needed trimming cut into the skin slightly which then helped cause the infection. It's pretty tender but looks clean now so i'd say it will be feeling fine in a day or two.

With the amount of mileage we are about to undertake, keeping the toe nails trimmed properly is definitely very important especially with the discomfort you could end up feeling on those longer runs, they are going to be hard enough as it is!

The funny thing is, it used to curl in while growing but herself has helped me sort that out. I have a new pair of workshoes, that and a piece of the nail which just needed trimming cut into the skin slightly which then helped cause the infection. It's pretty tender but looks clean now so i'd say it will be feeling fine in a day or two.

With the amount of mileage we are about to undertake, keeping the toe nails trimmed properly is definitely very important especially with the discomfort you could end up feeling on those longer runs, they are going to be hard enough as it is!

From reading previous novice threads I believe Toenail Tuesday is an actual event , those mentors think of everything.

I don't have a physio on 'speed dial', as yiz have often mentioned, yet. Any point in go for a feet./legs NCT over the next while, even if injury free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I don't have a physio on 'speed dial', as yiz have often mentioned, yet. Any point in go for a feet./legs NCT over the next while, even if injury free?

Wouldn't bother with that for a while. This is Week One. There will be plenty of time for the physio later, when the going gets tough.

Train well, all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

From reading previous novice threads I believe Toenail Tuesday is an actual event , those mentors think of everything.

We'll have to get our thinking hats on this year however as the marathon in on a Sunday it'll have to be Manicure Monday (trade mark bungy girl) or something like that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Hey Donglen, welcome back!

Don't have a lot of feedback, you've been through the journey before and I think you have proper respect for the distance and the effort involved. Go do!

Out of interest, if you look back at last year, what was the best thing you learned during the training cycle? And what are you going to change this time around?

Good luck! :)

Regarding the training cycle, despite all my self-doubt and worry I learned that my body can cope with the stresses of the additional training.....once I give it a helping hand. Plenty of Foam Rolling / stretching / Physio as needed (essential) and most important of all, recovery. There will be occasional days where you honestly know that your body is just beaten up and the best thing you can do that day is rest and recover.
    What I'll probably change this year is to do my longer runs with someone for company. I very much enjoy the solitude of running but 3 to 4 hours on your own can be very tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

For cross training tomorrow I'll be on the bike - 2 x 10km in and out to the train station.
    What kind of intensity should I be looking at ? "Easy run" kind of effort, LSR effort or "look at all those lovely trees in the field" effort ?

I'm doing the HHN plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Walking down the stairs will become a challenge after DCM but if you think you can do it away ya go !!!!

• Advertisement

Toenail Tuesday is a very important event :)

I would have booked a sports massage every 4 weeks great to loosen out the legs after the long runs.

Firedance wrote: »

We'll have to get our thinking hats on this year however as the marathon in on a Sunday it'll have to be Manicure Monday (trade mark bungy girl) or something like that :p
    Well you can forget that manicure Monday for a start, my lot would have a field day with that.

long_b wrote: »
    For cross training tomorrow I'll be on the bike - 2 x 10km in and out to the train station.
    What kind of intensity should I be looking at ? "Easy run" kind of effort, LSR effort or "look at all those lovely trees in the field" effort ?

I'm doing the HHN plan.

A nice gentle cycle will do just fine.

Well you can forget that manicure Monday for a start, my lot would have a field day with that.

Suggestions on a postcard folks :pac:

Firedance wrote: »
    Suggestions on a postcard folks :pac:

If Toenail Tuesday has to go, MANICure Monday will not be beaten!

...earworm for the day now...

I see lidl have the gels and zero tabs in next Thursday the 7th of July.

Gel selection pack with bottle @ 9.99

20 high 5 gels @ 9.99 ( not iso gels)

Zero tabs @3.99

That selection pack in particular might be handy for anyone wishing to experiment with fueling .

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Antodoran136

First case of blisters after long run today felt great 16k but second week in a row where the blisters are killing me right on the ball of my foot any suggestions for treatment on this and prevention from here on in

Compeed plaster for treatment

1000 mile socks for prevention

• Advertisement

Compeed plaster for treatment

1000 mile socks for prevention

Advertisement