Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

chrislad wrote: »
    I wasn't going to bother with this, as I don't plan to be as active this year in the thread as I was last year, as I don't want to get in the way of the real novices!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I'm started back with the C25K in about Feb 2014, so just over 2 years ago. Before that, I was very inactive, and hadn't done any sport or real exercise in close to 17 years (I was only 31 when I went back so that's slightly embarrassing!)

5k 25:56 Dec 2015 Birdhill Turkey Run
    10 k 53:18 May 2016 Limerck (Technically, a six mile, and I wasn't racing full tilt either, so this is a soft PB. I don't do a lot of 10k races, normally did half marathons last year)
    Half M 2:03:29 Sept 2015 Dublin
    Full M 4:46:30 Oct 2015 Dublin

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

My fitness is quite decent, I think. I had a quiet start to the year, and barely did enough to tip over in Jan/Feb. Back to basics for the month of March in order to get my base back up before DCM training. Up to about 28 miles a week running now.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

My aim last year was 4:30. I had a tough last 8 miles and was thereabout until then. My aim this year is still the 4:30.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

I'm currently doing 5 days a week, and wont' be changing this downwards. I might throw in the odd recovery run if I feel okay after any long runs.

Why are you running this marathon?
    Because I forgot how painful it was? :D

Chrislad! It feels odd to welcome you to the Novices 2016 thread since you were already an established Novice of 2015 when I joined (or at least that's how I seem to remember it).

What plan are you following? I think your routine is perfect for the boards plan, and I also think you have enough miles in the legs already to follow it.

Are you planning to come up for this year's HM? I recall writing a "preview" saying that the Upper Glen Road isn't as bad as its rep - and you telling me "you lied!!". :) (I still don't think it deserves that reputation!)

You have a wealth of experience with last years events (DCHM and the main event). Do hang around and share your experience of this years training with us!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I have thus far avoided checking Youtube for advice. Bit early for that craic. :pac: I'm wondering what barriers people feel they'll encounter in taking this on. For me it'll be my head, i.e. procrastination, apathy and laziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

aquinn wrote: »
    Miles are the priority here Scott. No idea what you are on about with km.

Don't mind her... Many of us speak km and some are even bilingual. I also have it on good authority that our mentors mother tongue is km!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Pfft! Don't listen Scot. Km's are grand, wait till you get the marathon done because then you can move on to triathlon where you not only get to run in km's, but you can swim and cycle in them too...

Pee off you with your tri talk. CM will be here next.

How did you get on in Paris?

tang1 wrote: »
    From a mind point of view I find miles easier, there's over 42km in a marathon but only 26.2 miles, I know which one counts down quicker in the head when your racing. Counting downwards in kilometres is just sadistic!!!

Yeah but we get to tick them off more frequently :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

spaceylou wrote: »

That is true, but there's still way more of them!!!

I have thus far avoided checking Youtube for advice. Bit early for that craic. :pac: I'm wondering what barriers people feel they'll encounter in taking this on. For me it'll be my head, i.e. procrastination, apathy and laziness.

Realise that it will take over.
    Boozy nights be gone.
    Gel testing, ugh.
    Racing.
    S8it runs that can't outweigh other runs.
    Having no one that will listen to you rattle off how many miles you ran that week.
    People asking what are you running away from.
    Some examples but the list is endless.
    Oh and welts when you forgot to put on bodyglide and realise in the shower.
    Oh and foam rolling and massages for knots.
    Being told to HTFU, don't Google that on work computer.
    Endless.

Yeah and we all listen to the beep and then curse it's only a bloody km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Realise that it will take over.
    Boozy nights be gone.
    Gel testing, ugh.
    Racing.
    S8it runs that can't outweigh other runs.
    Having no one that will listen to you rattle off how many miles you ran that week.
    People asking what are you running away from.
    Some examples but the list is endless.
    Oh and welts when you forgot to put on bodyglide and realise in the shower.
    Oh and foam rolling and massages for knots.
    Being told to HTFU, don't Google that on work computer.
    Endless.

Just as A said, endless. Having just ran Rotterdam a month ago I know from my training I honestly never at one point did not want to go out for a run. I looked forward to every run in the plan with vigor, I did miss runs obviously but through real life not the want to not go out and run. I was tired at times yes, but the goal at the end and running a marathon always conquered that tiredness. You will procrastinate but if you truly want to run DCM you will get up off your backside and run.

It's a wonderful experience training and running a marathon, enjoy it, it will dominate everyday from now till October but embrace that and use it in a positive way in progressing in your training. To be honest I'm dead jealous of you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Just as A said, endless. Having just ran Rotterdam a month ago I know from my training I honestly never at one point did not want to go out for a run. I looked forward to every run in the plan with vigor, I did miss runs obviously but through real life not the want to not go out and run. I was tired at times yes, but the goal at the end and running a marathon always conquered that tiredness. You will procrastinate but if you truly want to run DCM you will get up off your backside and run.

It's a wonderful experience training and running a marathon, enjoy it, it will dominate everyday from now till October but embrace that and use it in a positive way in progressing in your training. To be honest I'm dead jealous of you all.

Well said tang, it's a fantastic experience that will dominate your life for the coming months - commit to it and that will get you through the hard runs, the good outweighs the bad, I'm also more than a little jealous of you all too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

nop98 wrote: »
    Chrislad! It feels odd to welcome you to the Novices 2016 thread since you were already an established Novice of 2015 when I joined (or at least that's how I seem to remember it).

What plan are you following? I think your routine is perfect for the boards plan, and I also think you have enough miles in the legs already to follow it.

Are you planning to come up for this year's HM? I recall writing a "preview" saying that the Upper Glen Road isn't as bad as its rep - and you telling me "you lied!!". :) (I still don't think it deserves that reputation!)

You have a wealth of experience with last years events (DCHM and the main event). Do hang around and share your experience of this years training with us!

I'm following a modified Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 plan. I'm lucky enough to work with the winner of the Limerick Marathon this year, so he's giving it a once over, and making some adjustments. I've decided to try to kill myself before DCM this year, as the plan contains 4 20 mile runs. I will *not* be a nice person to be around when the plan ramps up for August and September!!!

I won't be up for the half marathon in September this year. My rather inconsiderate sister is getting married the day before, so I'll have to leave it. It's probably not as bad as it seems, but I got cramp, and I just wasn't going to push myself as it wasn't a target race last year. I will be up (probably, all going well) for the Rock 'n' Roll Half in August though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

. I will *not* be a nice person to be around when the plan ramps up for August and September!!!
    Wait til you start tapering in the two weeks before the marathon ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Youtube advice is a murky pool...lots of contradictions. Watched a video recently that begged me not to run 'junk miles' and then a video that said they don't exist, just ramp up the mileage anyway possible. Sure look.

Wait til you start tapering in the two weeks before the marathon ;)

I've already survived that last year so it's all good for this year. I'll just get my bubble wrap pants out :)

I've already survived that last year so it's all good for this year. I'll just get my bubble wrap pants out :)

Good man Chris.

Get all DIY jobs out of the way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Ok I'm in. Not to good at this typing malarkey(or spelling) So here's me

Yes 5k, a number of races. Pb is 20;59 done last Oct in Longwood.
    5 mile, Pb 36;47 in Clontarf last Nov.
    10k, Pb 45;54 done in Fore in Aug.
    10 mile 1;12;44 from Trim this year.

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    3 to 4 days running. Two days with weights + skipping. I also try to cycle to work once a week, 20k journey each way.

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    No specific goal. First i'd like to finish and still be in a reasonable state. After that a time of about 3;30 and I would be ecstatic.

•How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I plan on sticking to the plan that got me through to do Trim 10miler. I'm using a plan from a book called "Unbreakable Runner" by Brian Mackenzie.

•Why are you running this marathon?
    I've been running since 2012. I ran over 800k last year and running a marathon is something which I've wanted to do for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

It's as much a mental challenge as it is a physical challenge it's all about positive mental attitude believing in yourself being realistic in your goals and having the strength to push through the doubts. The great thing about this thread is sharing your experience good and bad and learning from it. It's a roller coaster !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Pee off you with your tri talk. CM will be here next.

How did you get on in Paris?

Ok! Paris is an excellent city and even better marathon, I finished. Any further information will scare off all the novices from this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Youtube advice is a murky pool...lots of contradictions.

Aye, same with computer and phone videos.

• Advertisement

There seems to war raging about kilometers versus miles :)

I happen to speak both, and I find easy enough to get used to using either. I use both and it simply allows more folks to comment and give feedback. In my early days, I was making the classic novice mistake (guess what? indeed, running too fast), and it wasn't until I added mile-paces, that folks here picked up on it and pointed it out.

I would recommend the hardcore kilometer folks to get used to miles, simply because that's what the majority of the experienced folks speak, and, the day itself, the markers are in miles. Don't underestimate this. If you're not used to miles, it might be quite confrontational to be running along for about 10 minutes and then you see this sign: 1. Run another ten minutes: 2. You get the point ;)

During one of the ridiculous long runs last year, I stumbled upon the same little trick that was already mentioned above - to convert km into miles:
    1. Take the number of miles (e.g. 18)
    2. Add half the amount (+9 = 27)
    3. And a tenth of the amount (+1.8 = 28.8)
    4. Voila. Close enough.

Also, it gives you something to do during the long runs, especially now you try to run without music, right ;)

When you look at the plans, you see many 3, 4, 5, 6M runs. For me, I just had the same little loop for each of the distances, so once I had them established, I was fine. Again, I wouldn't sweat the maths. 5km, 6.5km, 8km, 10km. It'll all balance in the end.

On a lighter note:

One of my (2) running heroes happens to be one of the moderators of this forum (an accomplished ultra-marathon runner). He keeps a really detailed log, which I highly recommend, especially for his race reports. Make yourself a nice cuppa, curl up on the sofa, and start reading here. I read all reports (and more) and learned so much, in terms of prep, pacing, mental toughness, etc.

In one of the reports he says:
    It seems to be easier to run 42 km rather than 26 miles, because it is less distance from one marker to the next one. It really does seem to make a difference.

And I agree with that :)

Kilometres for me nop :) although the way I do my easy and long slow runs is in minutes rather than distance.

Watching all the runners stream by, I noticed a couple of things I thought I'd share:
    • Get proper running gear. I saw several folks running in cotton t-shirts and shorts - which must be very unpleasant for the runners (as well as the spectators ;)).

Ah here.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

From a mind point of view I find miles easier, there's over 42km in a marathon but only 26.2 miles, I know which one counts down quicker in the head when your racing. Counting downwards in kilometres is just sadistic!!!

Miles just seem to go on forever... and ever... and ever. Kilometers tick away quite rapidly and don't overstay their welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Miles just seem to go on forever... and ever... and ever. Kilometers tick away quite rapidly and don't overstay their welcome.
    Measure in metres :)

UM1 wrote: »
    Measure in metres :)

Wouldn't want to end up with zero stroke in the middle of a race. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I didn't realise I would kick off so much debate on the km/miles supporters! Will try and quote both from now on. Once I get my km pace converted to a mile pace I will be ok.

No headphones anymore nop....ditched them once I bit the bullet and got my watch and I have to say I was very surprised at how unaware I was of what going on around me with the headphones in.

Actually enjoy the peace when out for a run now....Nice to clear the head sometimes.

I'll be stubbornly sticking to km :pac:

feature-3312.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

There seems to war raging about kilometers versus miles :)

During one of the ridiculous long runs last year, I stumbled upon the same little trick that was already mentioned above - to convert km into miles:
    1. Take the number of miles (e.g. 18)
    2. Add half the amount (+9 = 27)
    3. And a tenth of the amount (+1.8 = 28.8)
    4. Voila. Close enough.

As a suggestion if people get in the habit of putting either "m" or "km" after the distances they mention, it will avoid any future confusion. But if there is a general consensus for miles I'm happy to go with that.

I always worked in km's, then running in Limerick a few weeks back a guy I was running beside suddenly commented "Great we're counting down into single digits" i.e., 9 miles left, 8 miles left etc. I got kinda pi$$ed me off working in km's as I was going to have to wait a while for that psychological boost!

That formula looks pretty handy, I'll have to try remembering it.

Hello Gillo - welcome back, I believe we didn't get to meet in McG's afterwards? I do remember that feeling of the finishline, in my lucid state, I managed to recognize Sonia O'S and thought "I need to shake her hand", and she actually said "well done!". It was so surreal that I nearly started to hyperventilate.

Good routine, I like the cross-training. Can I tempt you on the Boards plan?

Hope to see you nail that 4-hour!

I didn't stay too long in McG's, a few friends had arranged to meet in the Gin Palace so I headed for there, got as far as Dawson St and jumped in a taxi home (they later admitted they hadn't factored in the walk across town!) The atmosphere was great though and I'd have happily spent hours in McG's.

I've looked at the boards plan, to be honest I think the Asics suits me slightly better not that I have anything negative to say about the boards plan itself. I plan to adjust the plan slightly as September and October are going to be very busy months for me.

On a different topic, I noticed someone mentioned gels, if you haven't used them before I'd recommend you try them on a short run first of all. Some people find the gels don't suit them and can get stomach cramps, one the off chance this happens it's much nicer to learn about it on a short run and not when out a good distance from home.

I'll be stubbornly sticking to km :pac:

LOL. Anyway, let's close the book on the miles vs kilometers discussion.

Is anyone considering the Irish Runner 5M - the first race of the Dublin Marathon Race Series?

It's on June 12th in the Phoenix Park - and the entries close on May 27th.
    • As the training plans haven't started yet, a good chance to try and sharpen up a PB over a shorter distance
    • Racing practice - it's a big race
    • I believe scotindublin is on flapjack duty :)
    • An excellent opportunity to start honing the race-reports skills.

• Advertisement

Is anyone considering the Irish Runner 5M - the first race of the Dublin Marathon Race Series?

• As the training plans haven't started yet, a good chance to try and sharpen up a PB over a shorter distance

A nice opportunity to meet up with your fellow novices too, I hope someone has sent scotindublin the flapjack recipe - we're very fussy :pac:

Firedance wrote: »
    A nice opportunity to meet up with your fellow novices too, I hope someone has sent scotindublin the flapjack recipe - we're very fussy :pac:

It's from the Guardian as far as I remember.

Good man Scott, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I'm in for this. Signed up for all the race-series events except the Fingal 10k, fancied a few new tops :)

Gillo wrote: »
    On a different topic, I noticed someone mentioned gels, if you haven't used them before I'd recommend you try them on a short run first of all. Some people find the gels don't suit them and can get stomach cramps, one the off chance this happens it's much nicer to learn about it on a short run and not when out a good distance from home.

No harm working with the ones that will be given out of the day of the marathon too. I think they were the High5 Isogels. They had Lemon and Orange I think.

Keep a look out in lidl special offers. Every so often they will have High 5 energy gels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Had planned on running this until I realised I'll be in France so that probably won't work. And I have to go to a friend's wedding the day of the Frank Duffy 10 mile. Aargh. :(
    If anyone decides they're getting married the weekend of the Dublin half marathon, I'm no longer being their friend.

I haven't actually raced since last November & I've put in a lot of training since then, so if I don't see anything else I might try get in a parkrun or two before the official marathon training plan starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I have it penciled in, but more as a tester of whether or not I'm ready for marathon training than a nice way to kick off training. I make it that I have 4 weeks of training and one down(ish) week before it. I plan to do one workout a week in those 4 weeks, alternating between tempo runs and intervals. I'd like to nail down a proper goal time rather than what I did for my last 5 mile which was to run out way too fast and then cling on for the last 4k (2.5 miles ;)).

I don't know if I'm actually going to commit to the marathon this year, I might wait until next year to be better prepared, but it was suggested I answer these anyway and since I'm open to input and I'm probably going to follow along here either way, I might as well. :)

I did C25k some time in 2014 with my girlfriend, but then gave up after completing it. I wasn't overweight or horribly unfit, just fairly sedentary in general and wanted to get active.

After forgetting about it for another year, I started running in earnest at the end of September 2015. I signed up for Jingle Bells and wanted to train for the best time I could over the next two months, pretty much from a base of zero. I managed to get around in just under 24 minutes* .

Since then I've gotten more and more hooked and I hope to run for the rest of my life and, of course, keep improving.

*I don't have an exact time because the chip timing didn't work on the day. I started way back and got stuck in heavy traffic. Gun time was 24:14, but my watch time was 23:36

Only parkruns and Jingle Bells.
    5k PB was just under 24 mins in Dec 2015, but I think I am probably quicker now.

I've done 10k and 10 mile runs in training in about 55 mins and 90 mins respectively, but obviously these are not raced and at 'easy' pace so I've no idea how I will perform in races at longer distances.

Nope.

How much training do you currently do ?
    Running 4 days a week, between 30 and 40km at the moment, but this is on an upward trajectory.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Personally I wouldn't be happy to just complete it, which is why I may wait a year. I'd be hoping to finish in under 4hrs and the dream would be 3:44:59, which would probably be a huge ask for me.

I could train 5-6 days a week. The Boards plan appeals because it's got a bit of variety and some speed work. I'd be hoping to improve my times over shorter distances throughout the cycle too, so it seems a better fit than HHN1.

Well, I might not. :) I'll decide for sure by the end of June before the training kicks off in earnest. The reason I'd like to? I've been bitten by the bug. I absolutely love running and I want to try and set initial PBs for all distances from 5k up. I've already signed up for the 4 events in the Dublin Race Series and the marathon is the last step. Also I followed last year's novice thread and the atmosphere was fantastic, it was hard not to get swept up in it and want to take part.

Also I talk in kms but I can understand miles and translate.

Had planned on running this until I realised I'll be in France so that probably won't work. And I have to go to a friend's wedding the day of the Frank Duffy 10 mile. Aargh. :(
    If anyone decides they're getting married the weekend of the Dublin half marathon, I'm no longer being their friend.

I haven't actually raced since last November & I've put in a lot of training since then, so if I don't see anything else I might try get in a parkrun or two before the official marathon training plan starts.

The Dunshaughlin 10k is a great race, too. June 18th, AFAIK.

Wow, leave boards for an evening and two pages get added to the thread!!

Re Km v miles - I didn't mean to start a 'thing', all said in jest, although I really can't visualise miles. I can however convert pretty quickly when it comes to distances. With pace, I haven't a clue...is there a formula for that one? So I can attempt bilingual? I.E. if my PMP is 6:20/km what is that per mile?

Sadly I will be in Portugal for the 5 mile in the phoenix park so won't make it, need to look at my calendar for the others in the race series as I am away a bit with work and hols over the next few months - hope to make the half and at least one of the other two.

• Advertisement

Wow, leave boards for an evening and two pages get added to the thread!!

Re Km v miles - I didn't mean to start a 'thing', all said in jest, although I really can't visualise miles. I can however convert pretty quickly when it comes to distances. With pace, I haven't a clue...is there a formula for that one? So I can attempt bilingual? I.E. if my PMP is 6:20/km what is that per mile?

Sadly I will be in Portugal for the 5 mile in the phoenix park so won't make it, need to look at my calendar for the others in the race series as I am away a bit with work and hols over the next few months - hope to make the half and at least one of the other two.

For whole minutes, the ratio is the reverse of miles to km. 5min/km = 8min/mile for example.

Then you can estimate with quarters. Since you know, for example, the 10k is about 6.25 miles: A quarter of a minute is 15 seconds, so ~6.25min/km (6:15) = 10min/mile.

Or just remember that:

11 min mile = ~6:50/km
    10 min mile = ~6:15/km
    9 min mile = ~5:40/km
    8 min mile = 5:00/km

And you can estimate the in-betweens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Or else just change your watch to miles and get on with it, for me the big thing was the course itself is measured in miles and the majority of experienced runners I speak to talk in miles. Those reasons alone should be enough for you and you'll all be learning to run on feel soon enough and not spend all run long gawking at your watches!
    If you want to do a race on the continent like Germany (where I believe the course is in KMs) then use those.
    Up to starting training last year I was all in metric but converted to imperial units and just left it like that since then.

The marathon is a great opportunity to make little adjustment to what you do currently and how you approach things, moving to miles for long run is better long term. Half marathon courses are all in mile markers too.
    Going out for a midweek run of 10 miles is infinitely easier than 16KM in my eyes.
    Yes the miles take longer to clock over but on the day when your head is hazy with 20miles on the clock, for sure you will think 6.2miles to go but then actually you say 10K....just do a fecking 10K now and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

kin9pin wrote: »
    I'm in for this. Signed up for all the race-series events except the Fingal 10k, fancied a few new tops :)

I'm thinking of signing up for the series but like you I don't think I'll do the 10k. Is there another 10k on around the same time that I could do. If not I'll do it as my plan is well fitted for this race

I'm thinking of signing up for the series but like you I don't think I'll do the 10k. Is there another 10k on around the same time that I could do. If not I'll do it as my plan is well fitted for this race

The Docklands 5km is July 14th I think.

Try run Ireland for fixtures or keep an eye on the event forum for a suitable race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Training me on the art of making good flapjacks will be tougher than the running training!

Folks there's a fairly comprehensive list of road races here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99576299#post99576299

@ Coffee Fuelled Runner
    I stocked up last time and have about 3 1/2 boxes of gels still left, it was a pretty handy deal!

I don't know if I'm actually going to commit to the marathon this year, I might wait until next year to be better prepared, but it was suggested I answer these anyway and since I'm open to input and I'm probably going to follow along here either way, I might as well. :)

I did C25k some time in 2014 with my girlfriend, but then gave up after completing it. I wasn't overweight or horribly unfit, just fairly sedentary in general and wanted to get active.

After forgetting about it for another year, I started running in earnest at the end of September 2015. I signed up for Jingle Bells and wanted to train for the best time I could over the next two months, pretty much from a base of zero. I managed to get around in just under 24 minutes* .

Since then I've gotten more and more hooked and I hope to run for the rest of my life and, of course, keep improving.

*I don't have an exact time because the chip timing didn't work on the day. I started way back and got stuck in heavy traffic. Gun time was 24:14, but my watch time was 23:36

Only parkruns and Jingle Bells.
    5k PB was just under 24 mins in Dec 2015, but I think I am probably quicker now.

I've done 10k and 10 mile runs in training in about 55 mins and 90 mins respectively, but obviously these are not raced and at 'easy' pace so I've no idea how I will perform in races at longer distances.

Nope.

How much training do you currently do ?
    Running 4 days a week, between 30 and 40km at the moment, but this is on an upward trajectory.

Personally I wouldn't be happy to just complete it, which is why I may wait a year. I'd be hoping to finish in under 4hrs and the dream would be 3:44:59, which would probably be a huge ask for me.

I could train 5-6 days a week. The Boards plan appeals because it's got a bit of variety and some speed work. I'd be hoping to improve my times over shorter distances throughout the cycle too, so it seems a better fit than HHN1.

Well, I might not. :) I'll decide for sure by the end of June before the training kicks off in earnest. The reason I'd like to? I've been bitten by the bug. I absolutely love running and I want to try and set initial PBs for all distances from 5k up. I've already signed up for the 4 events in the Dublin Race Series and the marathon is the last step. Also I followed last year's novice thread and the atmosphere was fantastic, it was hard not to get swept up in it and want to take part.

Also I talk in kms but I can understand miles and translate.

Hello Maximus Alexander - welcome to the thread!

No rush to sign-up for DCM. I believe you can sign-up until quite late (I'm sure it'll be in the FAQs on the site somewhere).

You have a sensible approach. Don't rush into any decision just yet - train regularly, at the right pace, while slowly increasing the weekly mileage. Don't be tempted to run many races - even tho you will feel your fitness and endurance improve, keep an eye on the end-goal. For now, I think your end-goal should be to get to the DCHM in September.

For the next few months, keep a realistic outlook. The boards plan is tough. You will be running half-marathon distances pretty much 13-14 weekends in a row - and since it appears you haven't covered that distance yet, HHN1 might be better suited (you can change one of the sessions to be a PMP session if you want to vary the paces).

As for marathon training, let's see how you get on through September. Use 4 hours as your PMP but don't get hung up on that as a goal. In fact, don't get hung up on doing the marathon, full stop (which you don't seem to be, so excellent).

Follow the plans and keep us posted on your progress, and you can well nail a fine half marathon debut in September. Going on to the full will be a stretch-goal, I hope you get there, but you may decide to move it to 2017.

Good luck - look forward to seeing your progress!

Ok I'm in. Not to good at this typing malarkey(or spelling) So here's me

Yes 5k, a number of races. Pb is 20;59 done last Oct in Longwood.
    5 mile, Pb 36;47 in Clontarf last Nov.
    10k, Pb 45;54 done in Fore in Aug.
    10 mile 1;12;44 from Trim this year.

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    3 to 4 days running. Two days with weights + skipping. I also try to cycle to work once a week, 20k journey each way.

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    No specific goal. First i'd like to finish and still be in a reasonable state. After that a time of about 3;30 and I would be ecstatic.

•How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I plan on sticking to the plan that got me through to do Trim 10miler. I'm using a plan from a book called "Unbreakable Runner" by Brian Mackenzie.

•Why are you running this marathon?
    I've been running since 2012. I ran over 800k last year and running a marathon is something which I've wanted to do for a long time.

Hey Lenny - welcome on board!

When is the Trim 10M?

My main point of feedback would be the need to slowly move the balance towards running 4-5x a week - at some point reduce the cross-training to once a week? You seem to have a great base and your PBs (over 10M especially) is very encouraging - it's a matter to start working on extending your endurance, this can only done by covering miles and more miles. Did you cover longer distances in races or training? Make sure to calculate a realistic PMP (3h30 is a sharp target! Maybe base it off 3h45), and start to slowly increase your weekly mileage.

Looking forward to see how you progress!

• Advertisement

Hello Maximus Alexander - welcome to the thread!

No rush to sign-up for DCM. I believe you can sign-up until quite late (I'm sure it'll be in the FAQs on the site somewhere).

You have a sensible approach. Don't rush into any decision just yet - train regularly, at the right pace, while slowly increasing the weekly mileage. Don't be tempted to run many races - even tho you will feel your fitness and endurance improve, keep an eye on the end-goal. For now, I think your end-goal should be to get to the DCHM in September.

For the next few months, keep a realistic outlook. The boards plan is tough. You will be running half-marathon distances pretty much 13-14 weekends in a row - and since it appears you haven't covered that distance yet, HHN1 might be better suited (you can change one of the sessions to be a PMP session if you want to vary the paces).

As for marathon training, let's see how you get on through September. Use 4 hours as your PMP but don't get hung up on that as a goal. In fact, don't get hung up on doing the marathon, full stop (which you don't seem to be, so excellent).

Follow the plans and keep us posted on your progress, and you can well nail a fine half marathon debut in September. Going on to the full will be a stretch-goal, I hope you get there, but you may decide to move it to 2017.

Good luck - look forward to seeing your progress!

Sorry nop but on the training plan I think HH1 not enough and he'd be well able for Boards plan. I say this as similar times for myself, back in the good old days.

Advertisement