Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Would an hour of 5 a side football be considered cross training?

Drop it as soon as possible. You will end up doing something to your ankle. Guaranteed!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

aquinn wrote: »
    Hey,

Do you have a recent HM or 10 mile time? Train for what you are capable of doing from these rather than a dream time.

Online calculator will give training paces and would be a better indicator from a longer mileage race rather than 5km.

Does that help?

McMillian or Jack Daniels can calculate all paces.

Got it, I'll stick with what I'm doing now so :)
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Some great advise on the thread already! Planning on getting out for an easy 16km this evening (still need to get my head round miles!). Looking at the pace planner I need to roll my pace back a little.....will give it a try when I am out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

chrislad wrote: »

Why are you running this marathon?
    Because I forgot how painful it was? :D

I'm laughing at that answer Chris !!! its very true !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Some great advise on the thread already! Planning on getting out for an easy 16km this evening (still need to get my head round miles!). Looking at the pace planner I need to roll my pace back a little.....will give it a try when I am out today.

Miles are the priority here Scott. No idea what you are on about with km.

Everyone, I'm sure needs to SLOW paces appropriately.

Ditch headphones and focus on form and breathing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Gillo wrote: »
    As I said I actually ran last year, however was very late coming to last years thread and still feel there's a lot more I could learn so I'm going to stick around here this year, learn more and hopefully can share some of my experiences and what I've learnt from last year. Not a proper novice but hopefully people don't mind.

In answer to the questions;
    Have you raced before?
    10km 50:48
    Half Marathon 1:48:56
    Marathon 4:05:50

Do you still need to take walk breaks?
    In training no, I did in the last marathon and walked about 2km at around 37km (guinness the night before really didn't help:eek:)

How much training do you currently do?
    Recently it's been running 4-5 times a week, 1-2 gyms sessions and 1 swim a week. Also stretching or yoga once a day. For May I'll be training as and when I want. I followed a plan for Dublin and pretty much jumped into another play for the Great Limerick Run so am "burnt out" with training plans, I decided earlier this year that in May I would just run as and when I wanted, distance would also depend on the mood, basically running for the love of running.

What do I want to achieve?
    Goal 1; a sub 3:45:00
    Goal 2; a sub 4:00:00
    Goal 3; finish without a walking break

How many days a week can I train?
    Just running four or five days. This will be supplemented with gym / core work, swimming and yoga. This probably sounds like a lot, but i know my limitations and when to pull back and rest.

Why am I running this marathon?
    I love the challenge of pushing myself physically, also the setting a goal, breaking it down and gradually achieving it. I may at a later stage decide to do it for charity. Finally the feeling when you spot the finish line, close in on it and then cross it, I'm sure Nop98 knows what I mean:D:D:D

Training plan
    I'll be following the Asics plan

Hello Gillo - welcome back, I believe we didn't get to meet in McG's afterwards? I do remember that feeling of the finishline, in my lucid state, I managed to recognize Sonia O'S and thought "I need to shake her hand", and she actually said "well done!". It was so surreal that I nearly started to hyperventilate.

Good routine, I like the cross-training. Can I tempt you on the Boards plan?

Hope to see you nail that 4-hour!

Limerick91 wrote: »
    I am still undecided on DCM but I have been following the thread for the past few days and might as well introduce myself
    Even though I am not a marathon novice I am a Dublin novice. I hope I am not breaking rules!!!!!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I have been running a few years and as you can see from my PBs most of them were a good few years ago. Old age must be catching up on me
    5k 21:11 Oct 2012
    5 mile 38:47 May 2015
    10 k 48:33 March 2013
    Half M 1:49:17 Sept 2012 Dingle
    Full M 4:09:59 May 2015 Limerick

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No
    •How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Just after doing the Limerick Marathon and I was training 4 times a week for that and one day of weights training. Was doing a Long Run at the weekend and about 5 to 7 miles 3 times during the week

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Would love to break the 4:00 but would also like to run the marathon without walking. During both my marathons I ran/walked after mile 18
    •How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    4 days running is my realistic goal. Some weeks 5 days will be possible
    I like the look of the boards plan but I might have to adjust it slightly to allow for 4 or 5 times a week training
    •Why are you running this marathon?
    After Limerick this year I swore not again for at least 3 years. However herself suggested to keep training and decide in a few months if I do Dublin or not.
    Did 2 runs last week, including my first Parkrun, after Limerick marathon

Welcome Limerick91 - all are welcome. Am I correct in saying you did the Limerick marathon twice? First time DCM?

Given your experience I don't have a lot of feedback - I would strongly recommend the boards plan. You need to work on your performance at the longer end of the business. The boards plan has 2x20 miles and a 19 and 18-miler. Those long runs will really stand to you, if you manage to build up to them slowly. Mind, it's no guarantee...

Delighted to have you onboard and I am looking forward to see your progress over the coming weeks/months!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Pfft! Don't listen Scot. Km's are grand, wait till you get the marathon done because then you can move on to triathlon where you not only get to run in km's, but you can swim and cycle in them too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

From a mind point of view I find miles easier, there's over 42km in a marathon but only 26.2 miles, I know which one counts down quicker in the head when your racing. Counting downwards in kilometres is just sadistic!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Pfft! Don't listen Scot. Km's are grand, wait till you get the marathon done because then you can move on to triathlon where you not only get to run in km's, but you can swim and cycle in them too...

:D:D oh you're in trouble now Killian!

• Advertisement

I wasn't going to bother with this, as I don't plan to be as active this year in the thread as I was last year, as I don't want to get in the way of the real novices!

I'm started back with the C25K in about Feb 2014, so just over 2 years ago. Before that, I was very inactive, and hadn't done any sport or real exercise in close to 17 years (I was only 31 when I went back so that's slightly embarrassing!)

5k 25:56 Dec 2015 Birdhill Turkey Run
    10 k 53:18 May 2016 Limerck (Technically, a six mile, and I wasn't racing full tilt either, so this is a soft PB. I don't do a lot of 10k races, normally did half marathons last year)
    Half M 2:03:29 Sept 2015 Dublin
    Full M 4:46:30 Oct 2015 Dublin

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

My fitness is quite decent, I think. I had a quiet start to the year, and barely did enough to tip over in Jan/Feb. Back to basics for the month of March in order to get my base back up before DCM training. Up to about 28 miles a week running now.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

My aim last year was 4:30. I had a tough last 8 miles and was thereabout until then. My aim this year is still the 4:30.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

I'm currently doing 5 days a week, and wont' be changing this downwards. I might throw in the odd recovery run if I feel okay after any long runs.

Why are you running this marathon?
    Because I forgot how painful it was? :D

Chrislad! It feels odd to welcome you to the Novices 2016 thread since you were already an established Novice of 2015 when I joined (or at least that's how I seem to remember it).

What plan are you following? I think your routine is perfect for the boards plan, and I also think you have enough miles in the legs already to follow it.

Are you planning to come up for this year's HM? I recall writing a "preview" saying that the Upper Glen Road isn't as bad as its rep - and you telling me "you lied!!". :) (I still don't think it deserves that reputation!)

You have a wealth of experience with last years events (DCHM and the main event). Do hang around and share your experience of this years training with us!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I have thus far avoided checking Youtube for advice. Bit early for that craic. :pac: I'm wondering what barriers people feel they'll encounter in taking this on. For me it'll be my head, i.e. procrastination, apathy and laziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Don't mind her... Many of us speak km and some are even bilingual. I also have it on good authority that our mentors mother tongue is km!!

Pee off you with your tri talk. CM will be here next.

How did you get on in Paris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

tang1 wrote: »
    From a mind point of view I find miles easier, there's over 42km in a marathon but only 26.2 miles, I know which one counts down quicker in the head when your racing. Counting downwards in kilometres is just sadistic!!!

Yeah but we get to tick them off more frequently :)

spaceylou wrote: »

That is true, but there's still way more of them!!!

I have thus far avoided checking Youtube for advice. Bit early for that craic. :pac: I'm wondering what barriers people feel they'll encounter in taking this on. For me it'll be my head, i.e. procrastination, apathy and laziness.

Realise that it will take over.
    Boozy nights be gone.
    Gel testing, ugh.
    Racing.
    S8it runs that can't outweigh other runs.
    Having no one that will listen to you rattle off how many miles you ran that week.
    People asking what are you running away from.
    Some examples but the list is endless.
    Oh and welts when you forgot to put on bodyglide and realise in the shower.
    Oh and foam rolling and massages for knots.
    Being told to HTFU, don't Google that on work computer.
    Endless.

spaceylou wrote: »

Yeah and we all listen to the beep and then curse it's only a bloody km.

Realise that it will take over.
    Boozy nights be gone.
    Gel testing, ugh.
    Racing.
    S8it runs that can't outweigh other runs.
    Having no one that will listen to you rattle off how many miles you ran that week.
    People asking what are you running away from.
    Some examples but the list is endless.
    Oh and welts when you forgot to put on bodyglide and realise in the shower.
    Oh and foam rolling and massages for knots.
    Being told to HTFU, don't Google that on work computer.
    Endless.

Just as A said, endless. Having just ran Rotterdam a month ago I know from my training I honestly never at one point did not want to go out for a run. I looked forward to every run in the plan with vigor, I did miss runs obviously but through real life not the want to not go out and run. I was tired at times yes, but the goal at the end and running a marathon always conquered that tiredness. You will procrastinate but if you truly want to run DCM you will get up off your backside and run.

It's a wonderful experience training and running a marathon, enjoy it, it will dominate everyday from now till October but embrace that and use it in a positive way in progressing in your training. To be honest I'm dead jealous of you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

tang1 wrote: »
    Just as A said, endless. Having just ran Rotterdam a month ago I know from my training I honestly never at one point did not want to go out for a run. I looked forward to every run in the plan with vigor, I did miss runs obviously but through real life not the want to not go out and run. I was tired at times yes, but the goal at the end and running a marathon always conquered that tiredness. You will procrastinate but if you truly want to run DCM you will get up off your backside and run.

It's a wonderful experience training and running a marathon, enjoy it, it will dominate everyday from now till October but embrace that and use it in a positive way in progressing in your training. To be honest I'm dead jealous of you all.

Well said tang, it's a fantastic experience that will dominate your life for the coming months - commit to it and that will get you through the hard runs, the good outweighs the bad, I'm also more than a little jealous of you all too :)

• Advertisement

nop98 wrote: »
    Chrislad! It feels odd to welcome you to the Novices 2016 thread since you were already an established Novice of 2015 when I joined (or at least that's how I seem to remember it).

What plan are you following? I think your routine is perfect for the boards plan, and I also think you have enough miles in the legs already to follow it.

Are you planning to come up for this year's HM? I recall writing a "preview" saying that the Upper Glen Road isn't as bad as its rep - and you telling me "you lied!!". :) (I still don't think it deserves that reputation!)

You have a wealth of experience with last years events (DCHM and the main event). Do hang around and share your experience of this years training with us!

I'm following a modified Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 plan. I'm lucky enough to work with the winner of the Limerick Marathon this year, so he's giving it a once over, and making some adjustments. I've decided to try to kill myself before DCM this year, as the plan contains 4 20 mile runs. I will *not* be a nice person to be around when the plan ramps up for August and September!!!

I won't be up for the half marathon in September this year. My rather inconsiderate sister is getting married the day before, so I'll have to leave it. It's probably not as bad as it seems, but I got cramp, and I just wasn't going to push myself as it wasn't a target race last year. I will be up (probably, all going well) for the Rock 'n' Roll Half in August though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

. I will *not* be a nice person to be around when the plan ramps up for August and September!!!
    Wait til you start tapering in the two weeks before the marathon ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Youtube advice is a murky pool...lots of contradictions. Watched a video recently that begged me not to run 'junk miles' and then a video that said they don't exist, just ramp up the mileage anyway possible. Sure look.

Wait til you start tapering in the two weeks before the marathon ;)

I've already survived that last year so it's all good for this year. I'll just get my bubble wrap pants out :)

I've already survived that last year so it's all good for this year. I'll just get my bubble wrap pants out :)

Good man Chris.

Get all DIY jobs out of the way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Ok I'm in. Not to good at this typing malarkey(or spelling) So here's me

Yes 5k, a number of races. Pb is 20;59 done last Oct in Longwood.
    5 mile, Pb 36;47 in Clontarf last Nov.
    10k, Pb 45;54 done in Fore in Aug.
    10 mile 1;12;44 from Trim this year.

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    3 to 4 days running. Two days with weights + skipping. I also try to cycle to work once a week, 20k journey each way.

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    No specific goal. First i'd like to finish and still be in a reasonable state. After that a time of about 3;30 and I would be ecstatic.

•How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I plan on sticking to the plan that got me through to do Trim 10miler. I'm using a plan from a book called "Unbreakable Runner" by Brian Mackenzie.

•Why are you running this marathon?
    I've been running since 2012. I ran over 800k last year and running a marathon is something which I've wanted to do for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

It's as much a mental challenge as it is a physical challenge it's all about positive mental attitude believing in yourself being realistic in your goals and having the strength to push through the doubts. The great thing about this thread is sharing your experience good and bad and learning from it. It's a roller coaster !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Pee off you with your tri talk. CM will be here next.

How did you get on in Paris?

Ok! Paris is an excellent city and even better marathon, I finished. Any further information will scare off all the novices from this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Youtube advice is a murky pool...lots of contradictions.

Aye, same with computer and phone videos.

• Advertisement

There seems to war raging about kilometers versus miles :)

I happen to speak both, and I find easy enough to get used to using either. I use both and it simply allows more folks to comment and give feedback. In my early days, I was making the classic novice mistake (guess what? indeed, running too fast), and it wasn't until I added mile-paces, that folks here picked up on it and pointed it out.

I would recommend the hardcore kilometer folks to get used to miles, simply because that's what the majority of the experienced folks speak, and, the day itself, the markers are in miles. Don't underestimate this. If you're not used to miles, it might be quite confrontational to be running along for about 10 minutes and then you see this sign: 1. Run another ten minutes: 2. You get the point ;)

During one of the ridiculous long runs last year, I stumbled upon the same little trick that was already mentioned above - to convert km into miles:
    1. Take the number of miles (e.g. 18)
    2. Add half the amount (+9 = 27)
    3. And a tenth of the amount (+1.8 = 28.8)
    4. Voila. Close enough.

Also, it gives you something to do during the long runs, especially now you try to run without music, right ;)

When you look at the plans, you see many 3, 4, 5, 6M runs. For me, I just had the same little loop for each of the distances, so once I had them established, I was fine. Again, I wouldn't sweat the maths. 5km, 6.5km, 8km, 10km. It'll all balance in the end.

On a lighter note:

One of my (2) running heroes happens to be one of the moderators of this forum (an accomplished ultra-marathon runner). He keeps a really detailed log, which I highly recommend, especially for his race reports. Make yourself a nice cuppa, curl up on the sofa, and start reading here. I read all reports (and more) and learned so much, in terms of prep, pacing, mental toughness, etc.

In one of the reports he says:
    It seems to be easier to run 42 km rather than 26 miles, because it is less distance from one marker to the next one. It really does seem to make a difference.

And I agree with that :)

Advertisement