Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crop protection

• 02-05-2016 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi lads,just wondering are any of ye having much luck on freshly sown crops?if so what size bags are ye getting? Cheers GB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Was out on fresh drillings twice over the week end, shot a dozen or so pigeons and 50 plus mixed covids.
    The crows decoyed well, the pigeons where less eager to decoy. Both days where just over four hours each.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Glenbulldog

Was out on fresh drillings twice over the week end, shot a dozen or so pigeons and 50 plus mixed covids.
    The crows decoyed well, the pigeons where less eager to decoy. Both days where just over four hours each.

That's good going,I've been driving around over the week but there doesn't seem to be much stirring in general,even though there's loads of fresh seed down,was shooting over rape last Sunday but was a disaster no birds around except one poor grey who was unfortunate to wander in to the field.

What kind of setup do you use for corvids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Same for me , 25 corvids only 4 pigeons, very windy conditions, used dead birds in cradles.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Same for me , 25 corvids only 4 pigeons, very windy conditions, used dead birds in cradles.

Are you set up more for corvids or is it that they decoy better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭merv35

Was out myself today 73 crow 3 pigeons I was only using pigeon decoy . The few pigeons tat were around w,nt interested in the decoy . But the crows just kept coming .the same feild last year was the opposite

Had some very slow days / small bags of pigeons over rape earlier in the year. To many large flocks with birds getting up and shifting to other locations.

Day one I shot two pigeons and one crow out on a reci of the field. I went 50 yards up the ditch and pegged them out on the drills and buried myself into the hedge row, never went back to the car for anymore kit, stayed there knocking birds and adding to the pattern.
    The secound day I went out with dead birds and some pigeon shells. Set up two patterns out in frount, one crows and one pigeons. Not nets, spinners etc, just burried tight into the hedge. Although there were singles and pairs of pigeons around they weren't too interested while the crows were actually decoying, coming in all directions. Just pegged them with bicycle spokes in a random pattern.
    IMAG1520_BURSTSHOT002_1_zpsdlyzvjob.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Are you set up more for corvids or is it that they decoy better?

Setup for pigeons initially, just added the corvids to the pattern as they "arrived".
    Plenty of pigeons around, just not decoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

I was told using corvid decoys either plastic or real was no longer allowed :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭skipking

it is illegal to use crow decoys the only legal decoys are duck or pigeon.

• Advertisement

skipking wrote: »
    it is illegal to use crow decoys the only legal decoys are duck or pigeon.

Yep, quite correct here, but I am still at pains to decipher the Act as to the use of dead birds, it mentions clearly artificial and stuffed birds but not natural dead birds.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2000/act/38/section/43/enacted/en/html

I'm not looking for holes more so a stand point. Where do you stand with shot birds left where they fall as this is often enough to bring in other birds.
    Are you decoying or just not picking up?

Yep, quite correct here, but I am still at pains to decipher the Act as to the use of dead birds, it mentions clearly artificial and stuffed birds but not natural dead birds.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2000/act/38/section/43/enacted/en/html

I'm not looking for holes more so a stand point. Where do you stand with shot birds left where they fall as this is often enough to bring in other birds.
    Are you decoying or just not picking up?

I'd agree with ya,once there's no plastic crows to draw them in I'd assume there's no problem

Chiparus wrote: »
    Setup for pigeons initially, just added the corvids to the pattern as they "arrived".
    Plenty of pigeons around, just not decoying.

Strange how the pigeons are not decoying well,I've the same problem,if they come in for a look they usually keep coming so there's nothing wrong with the set up,it's getting them to have a look seems to be the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

Seems strange that in the UK, who are under the same EU Birds Directive, that a hunter is allowed use flying & plastic crows and magpie decoys and electronic calls.......why not the same here???

Advertisement