Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is becoming a Ghost Town

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

You are probably right in the mindset being part of it. I won't go back to moderating now. Can't get past that in my head. I guess I do enough of it in my real life classroom rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I've been following this thread with interest. I know one admin has commented a few times, but I wonder are the actual current staff of boards.ie going to have any input.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I like boards. I've been a member for years and years and have never received an infraction (except for one moderator mistake which saw me get a card that was meant for someone else and which was immediately reversed when I pm'd the mod who had made the mistake).

I'm not a goody two shoes by any stretch, I have an evil sense of humour but I don't let it loose online because well, this is the internet and you never know who's reading/watching.

I've had issues with the place over the years and I've taken breaks from the site because I didn't like a few posters/mods and chose to disengage.

I do report posts that are totally crossing the line but I don't have it in for anyone in particular. I think it helps to keep the place working well.

The DDOS attack and subsequent wtfness that followed was a massive blow to the site. I've no idea about the 'new look' boards because I've been using the same skin for a long time but I agree that the search function sucks so I use Google to search boards.

I usually hang around AH and a few other forums but I have noticed that there is a lot less traffic on the quieter forums and this really detracts from the site.

The closed account function is the worst. There should be an option to disable rather than close outright. Only yesterday I saw a poster get jumped on in one of the mega-threads in AH and they spat the dummy and closed their account in a huff. I just don't see this as helpful in the slightest and I think it would have been better if they had had the option to take a breather rather than jump ship. I also think that there are some posters who are larger than life and who don't realise that their words can really upset others who don't subscribe to the 'only the internet' line.

I'd love to see DeVore come on this thread and give his opinion, he is after all the 'Monster's Daddy' :)

Seeing as I do post mainly in AH I would like to say that the moderation is good overall but sometimes decisions are made that would really put me off as a new poster. Such as locking a thread saying AH 'isn't a news dump' A large percentage of threads are discussing topical news so when a poster gets that as a reason for their thread being locked I can see why they'd say eff this and leave for another site. Surely it would be easier and friendlier to let a thread die on its own and avoid alienating users? (this hasn't happened to me personally but I've seen it happen a lot)

Also, Prison and Feedback need to be overhauled totally. I get that mods are sick of re-regs etc but sometimes the language and attitudes are so ugly I feel embarrassed for the place! Much better off ignoring banned users rather than do the whole 'holier than thou' spiel.

I'd hate to see boards fade away from Ireland's online society and hopefully this is just a trough before another peak.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Looking on the bright side...
    mud wrote: »
    I like boards.
    At 8.72 posts per day, I guess I like boards too, ha! I grew up here, from teens to late 20s, so boards is my virtual home away from my Eire home.
    The DDOS attack and subsequent wtfness that followed was a massive blow to the site.
    Agree. I could not access boards for 2 weeks during/after the DDOS attack. Thanks to Niamh and HQ systems folks, I got access. Now have to CAPTCHA to log-on from across the pond, but that additional layer of security is worth "One more step" to reduce attacks.
    I've no idea about the 'new look' boards because I've been using the same skin for a long time...
    Change is a B-word, but boards is not the only site that has to change every-now-and-then, so like changes in the past, I will grumble a bit, adapt, and continue to enjoy our site.
    I usually hang around AH and a few other forums but I have noticed that there is a lot less traffic on the quieter forums and this really detracts from the site.
    I've been around a few years too, and I can remember when there were roughly 2,000 to 3,000 members and visiters shown when logging on. Today I noted 4,370 on boards, which may not be as many was before the DDOS attack, but certainly better than about 5 years ago.
    The closed account function is the worst. There should be an option to disable rather than close outright.
    But then some of us could not impulsively do a Thelma and Louise! Then again, you may have a good point here for Admin, Community Managers, and systems folks to consider?
    I'd love to see DeVore come on this thread and give his opinion, he is after all the 'Monster's Daddy' :)
    Yes, I too would like to see DeV more often, and Cloud too!
    Seeing as I do post mainly in AH I would like to say that the moderation is good overall but sometimes decisions are made that would really put me off as a new poster.
    AH mods have a thankless job trying to mod the crazy black hole that sucks in a vast number of site posts each day, and it can get fast-and-furious at times! And pardon me if this sounds a bit cliche, but the AH mods are unpaid volunteers, and once in awhile they might make a mistake. I know I've made mistakes over the years I've modded on forums that were not as difficult as AH, and I am sad for doing so. I admire the AH mods, and hope that Admin will give them a larger coke and hookers bonus than me.
    I'd hate to see boards fade away from Ireland's online society and hopefully this is just a trough before another peak.
    Methinks boards will adapt and prevail as time goes on, as will yours truly, and many of the old and new members. Sure, there's always needs for improvement, which will always exist for boards, other sites, our real worlds work, etc., and I'm glad that you and others continue to Feedback how we can improve. I know that HQ, Admins, Cmods, and mods are listening and discussing what you and others have posted here on this thread. Ultimately, we are ALL in this together. Please continue to recommend constructive improvements.

:o PS: Whoa, I've drank a bit too much java this morn, so sorry for the long eye-bleeding post! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Even a cool down of sorts for the closed account thing might be worth considering. Disable for like a week, if they change their mind after a couple of days they can re-enable it, if not its closed forever. A lot of them end up re-regging anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wibbs wrote: »
    It depends on how you come at the "role". My take - and god knows I've failed more times than I like to admit - is that if you're a mod on any forum your job is to moderate. To help where needed and dial things back where you can and clean up spillage when it happens and most of all add content to the forum you've been given extra buttons to press over.

For me the Mod title is a service role. In short I am a servant to the community. It isn't, nor should be some step up hierarchy role. And if the extra buttons rev you up to the notion of ban hammers and being a "Goderator" then at the very least you need to step back and look at what we're actually trying to do here as a community. .

This is a great post. And something that should be explained to all moderators on taking up the post , especially the minority in AH and the SF who see the position as a way for some payback if their values/team they support have been insulted. Also Goderators is such a brilliantly apt term. :D

The closed account function is the worst. There should be an option to disable rather than close outright.

Does the close account option really make that big of a difference other than the appearance of a lot of closed accounts? I'd say most of those who close their account are back under another guise fairly quickly (especially if they go the route of drawing attention to the fact they're about to close it). However something should be done about it being used as a loophole for posters to avoid bans.

Also, Prison and Feedback need to be overhauled totally. I get that mods are sick of re-regs etc but sometimes the language and attitudes are so ugly I feel embarrassed for the place! Much better off ignoring banned users rather than do the whole 'holier than thou' spiel.

Agree with this, comes across as fairly pathetic especially since posts are screened/edited etc before appearing on the forum. Would also add the DRP Forum to the list of forums that need an overhaul. If a two week ban can expire before it's addressed there's obviously an issue. Would also be better if the C-Mods had to follow the same rule as the posters and only address the post in question rather than rather than talking about posting history or increasing the ban because they feel like doing so. Stuff like this has put posters off availing of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

The prison forum is one of the reasons i rarely post on boards anymore.its disgusting the way some of the admins gang up and bully some of the people there,all for cheap laughs.there has been times when 3 or 4 admins got on the bandwagon in belittling posters on that forum,hiding behind their pc,s.i.doubt very much if they would say some of the things to the person face to face.anyone who says its banter,i will call baloney to that.why have the prison forum made public at all? The answer is for cheap laughs at another persons expense,we have all seen it time and time again. If a poster breaks the rules,fair enough ban him/her,but to openly ridicule them is bullying no matter how its painted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Turtyturd wrote: »
    This is a great post.
    Steady on Sir! :)Your paypal retainer is secure.
    Also Goderators is such a brilliantly apt term. :D
    Shamelessly pilfered, I am bound to admit TT, from another site I also spout longwinded shíte in.
    Does the close account option really make that big of a difference other than the appearance of a lot of closed accounts? I'd say most of those who close their account are back under another guise fairly quickly (especially if they go the route of drawing attention to the fact they're about to close it).
    Agreed TT, but if you are a newbie just browsing it looks bad, it looks like people are leaving. We locals know they're not, but… It's basically a perception thing. A good while back I was reading a forum where I'd certainly not be a fit as an acolyte, but I did read just enough intelligent discourse to think it might be a forum worth signing up for and having a conversation, even if I was at odds with many locals. I wasn't going to be a "down with this sorta thing" wanker or anything like it. I just dig robust and reasoned debate. Upon further perusal I noted in older and not so older threads, the amount of closed and banned accounts and immediately thought sod this for a laugh, all they want is an echo chamber and one along very narrow lines. I never bothered to click the Register button. I strongly suspect that the "Closed Account" option has a similar if lesser effect on passersby and along with the category rejig has hit this community pretty badly.
    However something should be done about it being used as a loophole for posters to avoid bans.
    From what I've seen that is picked up pretty quickly TT. That is if their new handle attracts undue attention. Quite the number of "banned troublemakers" have gone on to be pretty cool members of the community. Again back to my point that the vast majority of folks you deal with in any capacity or "title" are generally sound. Some may have off days, but the actual **** are a teeny tiny percentage of the people here.
    If a poster breaks the rules,fair enough ban him/her,but to openly ridicule them is bullying no matter how its painted.
    Yeah TBH I'm quite the bit of the way with you there DM. I can most certainly see the need for a forum for those who have been sitebanned to plead their case and quite the number do and lest it's forgotten quite the number get heard and brought back into the fold too, but I could well do without the celebration of the "hur hur, aren't we soooo clever" childishness aimed at many of those who don't. Yes I again fully understand how some denizens of the Prison forum have been real timesinks, headaches and TBH plain **** to the community and the moderators who had to deal with them, but going equally schoolyard "you smell" about it is just a little juvenile.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The prison forum is one of the reasons i rarely post on boards anymore.its disgusting the way some of the admins gang up and bully some of the people there,all for cheap laughs.there has been times when 3 or 4 admins got on the bandwagon in belittling posters on that forum,hiding behind their pc,s.i.doubt very much if they would say some of the things to the person face to face.anyone who says its banter,i will call baloney to that.why have the prison forum made public at all? The answer is for cheap laughs at another persons expense,we have all seen it time and time again. If a poster breaks the rules,fair enough ban him/her,but to openly ridicule them is bullying no matter how its painted.

tbh I always assumed that was the logic in feedback, mods don't like the idea of their whole forum piling in and agreeing with a poster when they raise an issue so the issues get shunted off to a forum where most of the traffic is mods

Call me a cynic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

When I google boards.ie the first line of the result is

"Popular Irish bulletin board site, offering web hosting, chat rooms, and news group access."

It makes the place sound like it is still stuck in the 1990s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

One of the things admins and staff should learn is to remove the banned and closed account text under the posters name. (Maybe show it in the profile).

Let people be banned and have their accounts closed. Just don't advertise it.

As for the new skin, not seeng it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

I predict cold_haddock will disappear...................

Edit: now he has, this makes even less sense than my usual crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I predict cold_haddock will disappear...................

Edit: now he has, this makes even less sense than my usual crap.

We need this serious detective skills badly!
    Yeah, pretty easy to spot. Even deleting every accounts posts doesn't seem to work.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

For me the 'closed account' issue is a killer, reading through an old thread now is a bit like looking at an old school photo but most of your classmates are marked as 'dead' or 'missing'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Boards needs to join Facebook and the twitter machine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Let people be banned and have their accounts closed. Just don't advertise it.

I like this idea, especially for the closed accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Was there not a reason for the "close your account" option?. Some legal reason?

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Was there not a reason for the "close your account" option?. Some legal reason?

Dav posted this when the feature was originally activated:
    In the past, we just told people to stop posting, but after a consultation with the Data Protection Commissioner, they told us that this is a service we have to offer as we hold some personal information (it's also one of the reasons I'd imagine they're auditing Facebook here in Ireland as at no stage do they say they're removing your personal info from their databases).

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Might be worth revisiting to see if that advice from the data commissioners office is actually good legal advice on the closed account matter. It may well not be, or things may have changed in the interim, or maybe a change in the sign up terms and conditions would remove the need for it?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

When they move to the new site, they won't be tied to the vbullietin format, so will have the option to remove the tag below the user name..

No more registered user, monsters daddy, prick with a fork, closed account, banned, subscriber nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Wibbs wrote: »
    Might be worth revisiting to see if that advice from the data commissioners office is actually good legal advice on the closed account matter. It may well not be, or things may have changed in the interim, or maybe a change in the sign up terms and conditions would remove the need for it?

I still fail to see the issue with the close account option. If people don't like it for the aesthetics of a thread then fine, petition to get the text removed from under the username, but don't petition to get the functionality removed.

On a side note; depending on the state of play with 'The right to be forgotten' stuff, a close account option may not be good enough for the Data Protection Commissioners so I wouldn't be questioning it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

Agree. Having that forum public is just a way to publicly humiliate posters. Like what is the point of it apart from a few admins getting their kicks off in some juvenile fashion? Makes the place look a) amateur and b) like a school playground

FA Hayek wrote: »
    Agree. Having that forum public is just a way to publicly humiliate posters. Like what is the point of it apart from a few admins getting their kicks off in some juvenile fashion? Makes the place look a) amateur and b) like a school playground
    I always wondered why the 'don't be a dick' rule doesn't appear to apply to the prison forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Prison Forum is the only one left that is mildly amusing . Probably appropriate to shut it down.

kneemos wrote: »
    The Prison Forum is the only one left that is mildly amusing . Probably appropriate to shut it down.
    Do people actually go there to watch admins belittle people for amusement? If so, it's a major problem with the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

FA Hayek wrote: »

Dispute Resolution is also just a way to force posters to publicly grovel.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You could argue that the Prison forum offers a public place for genuine posters to appeal a ban. To put it another way: how might you feel if you were sitebanned and had no means to appeal? Without the Prison Forum it's game over. No PMs / no access to anywhere. You could mail boards.ie's general inbox but...

I don't think the solution to whatever perceived problem (I don't agree with the assessment above of it being the worst feature of the site by a longshot) is eliminating the prison forum. There are plenty of genuine appeals and reinstatements every month and interactions that are conducted relatively cordially on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

smash wrote: »
    Do people actually go there to watch admins belittle people for amusement? If so, it's a major problem with the site.

I agree . Nobody should be even vaguely offended in this brave new world,not even on behalf of someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

When they move to the new site, they won't be tied to the vbullietin format, so will have the option to remove the tag below the user name..

No more registered user, monsters daddy, prick with a fork, closed account, banned, subscriber nonsense.

Something like a 48 cooling off period might help with the close account feature, but it's getting abused by trolls and re-reg's which isn't what it is for. Bit like the prison forum then!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You could argue that the Prison forum offers a public place for genuine posters to appeal a ban. To put it another way: how might you feel if you were sitebanned and had no means to appeal? Without the Prison Forum it's game over. No PMs / no access to anywhere. You could mail boards.ie's general inbox but...

I don't think the solution to whatever perceived problem (I don't agree with the assessment above of it being the worst feature of the site by a longshot) is eliminating the prison forum. There are plenty of genuine appeals and reinstatements every month and interactions that are conducted relatively cordially on both sides.
    You completely missed the point.nobody is saying that there shouldnt be an appeals process,but why have it for all the public to see just so some of the admins can get cheap laughs and deride the person appealing? They have a distinct advantage in that they have their little control panal and can delete/edit whatever they want.i can guarentee if the prison forum wasnt public they wouldnt bully and try make a laugh out of the person appealing,simply because they wouldnt have an audience.this needs to be stopped now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement