Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is becoming a Ghost Town

Options

Comments

Not every single forum needs to be filled with interesting and serious discussion on current events etc. What makes boards special in my eyes is the inclusion of threads like 'things you want to say' and threads where you can form connections with the other posters.

I can be a sentimental divil the best of times but it is the sharing of experiences and being able to have a bit of craic which gives this place its sense of community.

I'm not saying everything has to be serious. Far, far from it. I don't think I've ever even started a serious thread.

My point is that this is a discussion site. Some threads don't entice or invite any discussion, and those threads put people off.

By all means make your connections with other posters, but it's not a dating site, or a medium for penpals, it's a discussion forum. And with that in mind, it should focus on discussion.

Candie wrote: »
    Is there any reason why the posters can't have the same fun on the online dating forum though?

I'm not trying to deprive you Persepoly, but I think feedback is important from all sides.

Surely a compromise is to use the online dating forum for chat about online dating?

But then why not put the other threads regarding movies and books in to their 'appropriate' forums?

The online dating thread will run its natural course I believe. You for example prefer threads on current affairs and topical issues. I prefer threads that are lighter. I think they can both exist happily alongside each other and I believe that's what they have been doing.

But then why not put the other threads regarding movies and books in to their 'appropriate' forums?

The online dating thread will run its natural course I believe. You for example prefer threads on current affairs and topical issues. I prefer threads that are lighter. I think they can both exist happily alongside each other and I believe that's what they have been doing.

Because those threads are short lived by their nature and I don't believe that the OD one will be because it's a part of so many lives. Time will tell, I suppose.

I like lighthearted threads too, but you need engaged posters to make them. And it's just not happening.

Anyway, I've given my feedback and I'm sorry you've felt the need to be defensive about it. It's nothing personal, just a difference of opinion.

Because those threads are short lived by their nature and I don't believe that the OD one will be because it's a part of so many lives. Time will tell, I suppose.

I like lighthearted threads too, but you need engaged posters to make them. And it's just not happening.

Anyway, I've given my feedback and I'm sorry you've felt the need to be defensive about it. It's nothing personal, just a difference of opinion.

Jaysus I'm not being defensive at all. I'm just responding with my own views on the matter.

What is your objection to using the OD forum Persepoly? I would have thought that was the ideal location for that discussion. I'm curious as to why you won't use that.

And to be fair, your remarks on people being terrified of people being nice to each other was both undeserved and unwelcome. Nobody suggested anything like that.

• Advertisement

What is your objection to using the OD forum Persepoly? I would have thought that was the ideal location for that discussion. I'm curious as to why you won't use that.

My issue is with the fact that it's ok for some threads to be housed in After Hours but not others.

Well the short answer is because ones like OD and to a lesser extent now with the no-chat rule, TA, become circular and cliquey, and not really about discussion. It is a discussion forum, and those kinds of threads don't really foster it, in my opinion.

Well the short answer is because ones like OD and to a lesser extent now with the no-chat rule, TA, become circular and cliquey, and not really about discussion. It is a discussion forum, and those kinds of threads don't really foster it, in my opinion.

I accept your opinion. It's a subject that we could go around in circles with. At the end of the day whatever happens happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Those cliquey threads monopolize some posters, or posters make more contributions to a single thread instead of reading the rest of the forum and getting involved in multiple threads or even just one or two more.

I just don't see the problem with restricting online dating discussion to the online dating forum? A whole forum devoted to the topic!

I'd leave the TA thread put, but only with strict observance of the no chat rule. It was a very cliquey place beforehand.

Have to disagree about the issue of posting in only one thread. I'm active in the online dating thread recently and it's a great thread. I'm also hosting my own thread in diy that is quite popular and am active in motors as it relates to my job. I had a bash at political economics but not many takers. My subscription list is three pages and is very diverse.

I think people will naturally gravitate to where they feel comfortable and moderation is pretty fair, I've had a few yellow cards recently and deservedly so. I was out of line due to my emotions being off kilter. I took it on the chin and came back with a better mindset.

The online dating thread as a forum, split into individual posts rather than the organic hive. I can't see it. I think it would kill it. I don't see it as cliquey, I joined it very recently and feel comfortable posting in there. It is camaraderie. It may have some monopolising due to the nature of the subject, I could monopolise peresepoly for example. (Given half a chance) :)
    but it is not in anyway detrimental to the forum overall.

I think if traffic is a concern then better look at what value can be added than what tried and tested successes can be tinkered with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

FortySeven wrote: »

The online dating thread as a forum, split into individual posts rather than the organic hive. I can't see it. I think it would kill it. I don't see it as cliquey, I joined it very recently and feel comfortable posting in there. It is camaraderie. It may have some monopolising due to the nature of the subject, I could monopolise peresepoly for example. (Given half a chance) :)
    but it is not in anyway detrimental to the forum overall.

I think if traffic is a concern then better look at what value can be added than what tried and tested successes can be tinkered with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It is broke though.

And, with respect, your post is exactly what I find objectionable about threads like OD being on a general forum. The place for that kind of flirting and personality led chat is on the OD forum, not AH. It's not a dating site, it's a discussion site, and online dating is already catered to elsewhere.

I just don't understand the unwillingness to discuss online dating in...online dating.

It doesn't seem to be a popular opinion though, so I'll leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

It is broke though.

And, with respect, your post is exactly what I find objectionable about threads like OD being on a general forum. The place for that kind of flirting and personality led chat is on the OD forum, not AH. It's not a dating site, it's a discussion site, and online dating is already catered to elsewhere.

I just don't understand the unwillingness to discuss online dating in...online dating.

"But why don't movie threads go to the movie forum if Online dating should go to the OD forum"

... is what you'll get now and even after you've explained it, others are not taking your comments on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Turtyturd wrote: »
    What's the justification for it's existence?

That didn't answer my question in the slightest :confused:

He had a penchant for asking inane questions, the AH mods before me gave him an easier way to do it which didn't clog up the forum. Fairly straightforward, but I don't see it as needing a "justification" in any case.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    "But why don't movie threads go to the movie forum if Online dating should go to the OD forum"

... is what you'll get now and even after you've explained it, others are not taking your comments on board.

And that's why I'm done giving feedback.

If I was an AH mod (which I wouldn't want to be in a million years), that thread would be a goner. Anything about personalities or particular posters is the death of discussion.

The clumsy flirting is an absolute cringefest for anyone reading over the thread too!

KERSPLAT we are having a discussion. Comments are being read and responded to. We don't all agree and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Perhaps if the mod team can come up with a unified purpose for AH then we won't be at loggerheads regarding the inclusion of certain threads and what should go where.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I too would tend to agree that boards has lost a chunk of its steam. Compared to a couple of years ago it just doesn't seem as much posts being made.

In recent times I too have began to not post or read as much.
    Honestly, I just got tired of having to censor how I wrote things because a mod could come along and hand down an infraction.

KERSPLAT we are having a discussion. Comments are being read and responded to. We don't all agree and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Perhaps if the mod team can come up with a unified purpose for AH then we won't be at loggerheads regarding the inclusion of certain threads and what should go where.

Well to be fair to the mod team, they try to do the best thing for the forum as a whole and not an individual thread.

Perhaps if the OD thread had a strictly enforced no flirting rule it would encourage less chat and more discussion of the issue.

As it is, a cursory glance can see what it's descended into, and it makes AH look like a secondary schoolyard at lunchtime, behind the bike sheds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Who said there was anything wrong with it?

It was explained, quite well, by Candie why the Online dating, TTTAY, etc. threads are different to the other threads you outlined but you continue to ask the same question because, I can only assume, you fail to understand her reasoning or aren't taking the comments on board. Hence my post.

The mod team decided against certain threads for reasons outlined at the time and advised that others would be closed, just a few weeks ago. We/they/AH mods discussed it and rolled it out. We all know what happened then.

Well to be fair to the mod team, they try to do the best thing for the forum as a whole and not an individual thread.

Perhaps if the OD thread had a strictly enforced no flirting rule it would encourage less chat and more discussion of the issue.

As it is, a cursory glance can see what it's descended into, and it makes AH look like a secondary schoolyard at lunchtime, behind the bike sheds.

Nothing wrong behind the bike sheds :D

Nothing wrong behind the bike sheds :D

Not if it's a dating site, but it's not.

There shouldn't be any place for the clumsy flirting on a discussion site.

Who said there was anything wrong with it?

It was explained, quite well, by Candie why the Online dating, TTTAY, etc. threads are different to the other threads you outlined but you continue to ask the same question because, I can only assume, you fail to understand her reasoning or aren't taking the comments on board. Hence my post.

The mod team decided against certain threads for reasons outlined at the time and advised that others would be closed, just a few weeks ago. We/they/AH mods discussed it and rolled it out. We all know what happened then.

I could turn that around and say that I kept asking the same question because Candie wasn't understanding my point of view and taking it on board.

But I won't because I don't expect everyone to agree with me. If I don't agree with something then I will say so. Somebody explaining their reasoning doesn't mean I have to change my mind.

I absolutely do understand where Candie is coming from. My view is different. That's all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Out of curiosity, are people here familiar with FlirTar?

Granted, it's quite lifeless now but if there's enough people interested then I don't see why you couldn't bring it back to life again.

Just saying.

Not if it's a dating site, but it's not.

There shouldn't be any place for the clumsy flirting on a discussion site.

You and I have different views on this. I like a more easy flowing, chatty kind of vibe. If someone wants to be flirty then that's ok by me.
    At the end of the day I don't hold any sway with what threads stay and what threads go.

You and I have different views on this. I like a more easy flowing, chatty kind of vibe. If someone wants to be flirty then that's ok by me.
    At the end of the day I don't hold any sway with what threads stay and what threads go.

I'm not sure if "hold any sway" is the right term. I mean I have no control :)

I could turn that around and say that I kept asking the same question because Candie wasn't understanding my point of view and taking it on board.

But I won't because I don't expect everyone to agree with me. If I don't agree with something then I will say so. Somebody explaining their reasoning doesn't mean I have to change my mind.

I absolutely do understand where Candie is coming from. My view is different. That's all.

Your point of view is that theres room in AH for the OD thread.

AH is a discussion forum, and there's

a) precious little discussion on that thread, and
    b) it has begun to centre around certain posters, and discussion threads aren't meant to be personal chat outlets and
    c) there's a much more appropriate arena for OD, and thats the already extant OD forum.

I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from, but I have to say I can't understand your resistance to leave AH for general discussion and take the OD chat to the OD forum. I don't see any valid reason for it to remain, and many for it to go.

It's coming across as quite unreasonable, though I think we're unlikely to agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

It is broke though.

I would never have gone to the thread if I hadn't seen it popping up constantly in AH. The nature of AH looseness in moderation was also an attraction. The thread is organic. It's like a tour bus you can hop on and off at will.

As for flirting and personality led chat, isn't that the very sustenance of an internet forum? Have you ever watched the oireachtas channel?

FortySeven wrote: »
    I would never have gone to the thread if I hadn't seen it popping up constantly in AH. The nature of AH looseness in moderation was also an attraction. The thread is organic. It's like a tour bus you can hop on and off at will.

As for flirting and personality led chat, isn't that the very sustenance of an internet forum? Have you ever watched the oireachtas channel?

You're actually making the arguments for me.

I don't believe AH should be a personal dating and flirting location for posters, no. It's a discussion site, not a live version of Craigslist.

Again, I feel posters are quite entrenched in their views here and strangely resistant to a mere change of location. I can't understand that resistance.

I also don't believe for a minute that the invested posters will let that thread die organically, if it's allowed remain then it'll be kept on page one until AH dies altogether.

I believe that the online dating thread in After Hours offers something a little different that the ODG. It is one thread centered around the general topic of online dating.

Over in the ODG there are specific threads for specific issues. The tone of the forum is different than After Hours. My reasoning is an intuitive sense that I have rather than cold hard facts.

Since the online dating thread appeared I have seen AH come to life. There is flirting and chat and discussion. It's fun! People appear to feel comfortable on the thread. It's possible to have a bit of a flirt and a chat alongside discussion.

The other threads have not been affected as far as I can see. This is just how I feel on the matter. Dav will post his own contribution to this thread tomorrow. Maybe he will decide that the fun threads must go. Then so be it.

Dav will post his own contribution to this thread tomorrow. Maybe he will decide that the fun threads must go. Then so be it.

This is being very disingenuous. Nobody is saying fun threads have to go, as you know. I get that you enjoy flirting in AH, but most posters outside the regulars of that single thread would find it inappropriate.

A flirt thread might be the kind of vibe you prefer, but AH is not a flirting or dating forum, and you might consider setting up your own private forum where you can flirt and chat to your hearts content with no interference from outside mods or uninterested posters. It's something you might consider, and leave the discussion forum for discussion.

This is being very disingenuous. Nobody is saying fun threads have to go, as you know. I get that you enjoy flirting in AH, but most posters outside the regulars of that single thread would find it inappropriate.

A flirt thread might be the kind of vibe you prefer, but AH is not a flirting or dating forum, and you might consider setting up your own private forum where you can flirt and chat to your hearts content with no interference from outside mods or uninterested posters. It's something you might consider, and leave the discussion forum for discussion.

I'm using flirting as an example of what can happen in an easygoing thread. I'm saying that it doesn't bother me.

I'm also saying that I believe flirt/chat/off topic/whatever doesn't have to stifle or negatively impact upon discussion.

There are private forums I am already a member of.

That's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

There's a difference between fun threads and the off topic threads that have proven to be popular lately.

For me, a fun thread would be something like 'I found a safe' or the epic Brian and Ciara one years ago. AH is sorely lacking those kind of threads but it seems no one wants to create them anymore :( I'm not surprised, it seems almost any time someone tries to start a light hearted thread, people just love to come in and criticise the OP and thanks whore, it's very off putting. I wouldn't even want to start a thread there and I used to mod the place.

Personally, I liked the trivial things that annoyed you thread but I had to unfollow it when it just became a big, cliquey thread with the same posters posting over and over again. It seems to be working now with the new rules, but it's just not my type of thread.

I know people will say 'well if you don't like it, don't click into it' but the problem is that that type of posting starts seeping into other threads in the forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement