Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is becoming a Ghost Town

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Warning.. long somewhat rambling response ahead! :)
    Dav wrote: »
    It's no fun to go away for a break and come back to a huge thread bashing the work your doing, but that's part of the gig :) Many of you are pointing out that it's been whatever length of time and no one from the office has answered - again, fair comment, but not something I was able to address as I was away for a week and I've had to spend this one catching up. Yes, there are 2 Community Managers, but Niamh has as big, if not bigger list of responsibilities than me and so this side of the job usually falls to me to take care of - kinda makes sense I think cause I've been here the longest and have a better appreciation of the lay of the land. But I guess we should probably make our delineation of work a bit more obvious to the rest of the site.

It's clear that you genuinely care Dav, but with all respect the comments and feedback that have been offered here are nothing you should take personally, but rather view as the constructive and genuine attempts of users to voice their opinion on the way the site has been going - and I'm sorry but yes, generally that feedback seems to disappear in a vacuum.

It shouldn't be the case that if you want to take some time off that the entire community engagement and liaison role you do grinds to a halt while you're away - especially not at a time when the site is suffering a multitude of issues whether they be technical with the Cloudflare stuff, or perception such as the Beta/Responsive site and the problems/feedback around it.

Whether it be Niamh or someone else, someone should step into the gap.. just as would be the case in any other business where someone takes some AL.
    ...various business-related headings...

I don't think anyone is under any illusion that trying to balance a user-driven site llke this against the commercial needs of a business is difficult and that there are many legal and compliance factors that come into play.

Some of the problems you refer to though are (I believe) at least partly due to the fact that the ownership/management structure seems convoluted and the rather murky feedback options - I mean:
    Boards.ie Ltd is majority owned by the same parent company that owns two other companies that were a part of the Distilled Media Group. There's the company that runs Daft/Adverts/Done Deal and the company that run TheJournal and its collection of sites.

.. maybe it's me but that sounds like something out of Billions or any of those US shows where they're trying to trace money through endless shell companies :)
    Category Reorganisation
    We asked for your input and help, this is the result. It was 100% community driven and I merely put the whole thing together and steered it. We've had subsequent clean ups of some topics, again, 100% community driven. There were of course some who thought it was a bad idea, but an overwhelming majority of you either thought it was ok, or were at the very least happy enough to not feel the need to comment. So I'm not entirely sure what it is I'm supposed to do here folks.

The category reorganisation, and the subsequent "temporary" menu it resulted in was the first sign for me anyway that things were going wrong. It was clear that this change was happening regardless of the opinions expressed at the time and given this and the frustration many posters feel on this topic, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that "meh, they didn't complain so we must be good!". It's just as likely that many just doesn't see the point and THAT is perhaps the biggest and most damaging result from this, and indeed the beta/responsive site that was put out (back to that later)
    "The office just won't listen!"
    It disappoints me that no one seems to be willing to give us any credit for the last 18 years of doing things based on community feedback and every time we propose some changes, no matter how big and small, we get insults, hostility and hyperbole. It makes this process take a lot longer and gets everyone bent out of shape.

Again I'd ask that you/whoever not take it so personally. No-one doubts the work you do or the effort that goes into these things... it's the direction that has people concerned, especially in light of previous experiences when other changes have been made and feedback offered - in short the response usually has been "yea well we're doing it because we have to get off VBB/its not feasible to maintain two sites/we think its what the non-members want" etc.
    So please folks, we don't doubt your passion for wanting the best for Boards.ie, but I'm just asking that you to give us the benefit of the doubt and remember that we're just as passionate about it as you are. I know there's a lot of pressure for "instant" fixes to things, but that's just not possible when we need to have time to see how people react to things - if we had any feasible means of testing some of the stuff we want to work on anywhere but the live environment, we'd do it, but that's just not an option for things like UI/UX work. I don't know why you think there's some sort of "us and them" between the office and the site's membership, but if that's because of how I've communicated things, then I'm putting my hands up and offering an unreserved apology because this site means more to me than my family. We don't always think clearly when we're talking about the things we love, I guess I'm as guilty of that as anyone, but I do my damnedest to be clear.

But, and there's always a but, the office ultimately has to make the decisions that keep this site here for the next 18 years and beyond. We make these decisions with our analytics numbers, our intuition and of course, our community. But our community is not, for example, a web development team or a team of lawyers, so we have to do the work and get feedback from the relevant parties - designs by committee as anyone will tell you don't work, but we do try for "design by consensus" which allows us to get at least most of the people happy most of the time. Taking the responsive site as our latest example. You don't like it - that's both abundantly clear and perfectly fine - we're bringing parts of it back to the drawing board. But we needed some time to see how it was received by not only our logged in active members, but the visitors too. However, if we read through the thread about it, you'll see the office is "forcing you" to use it (we're not, we asked you to try it if you wanted and the legacy site hasn't gone anywhere) or that we're somehow doing it just for advertising revenue (there are less ads on every page of the responsive site than the legacy site by the way). If you think the levels of vitriol being thrown at us and me personally about the design of a website are somehow acceptable then we have a very different point of view about life. If you think that we're just going to ignore it and plough on regardless then I'd like to know why you think we'd want to operate that way because it makes as much sense as a chocolate teapot.

Again no-one doubts your commitment and sincerity, and I don't think many would expect "instant" fixes when something goes wrong, but whoever is driving these changes away from what the core of Boards is - a Irish-based/themed discussion forum - towards.. honestly, I'm not even sure what the endgame is, should also be reading this thread and throwing their 2c in.

The beta/responsive site has frankly been a disaster from both an implementation and engagement standpoint, to say nothing of all the technical problems. I don't pretend to be privy to the background of course, but some serious questions need to be asked as to why the whole thing was allowed to unfold as it has in the last few weeks.

There's been some great and constructive feedback offered.. listen to it, and more so, show that you're listening by adapting "the plan" accordingly. Without user support this site will ultimately fail and I don't think anyone wants that, but ploughing on regardless will not end well for anyone involved.
    "Moderation is rubbish!"
    I don't support this statement at all.

Me neither to be honest. There are a few who take it FAR too seriously and the "editorial slant" of some forums is an issue (called out previously by others around the echo chamber tendency etc), but on the whole I think the site runs pretty well from a Moderation perspective which is a credit to those who give up their time to do it.
    "We never see the staff on the site"

Well, we don't! :) (present company excepted). I've seen Niamh post occasionally but other than that, that's about it. Of course I'm not aware who's paid and not at the admin level so maybe that's just my ignorance but how about an AMA/profile of some of the people involved so the users can get to know them a bit better... good PR too ;)

Again though, I think I speak for all when I say thanks for taking the time to respond this evening but I would hope that the points raised in this thread reverberate around Boards HQ for a long time yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

After hours does not exist for people to fling virtual bodily fluids at eachother in full view of the gen. pop.

don't be so prudish, tis 2016 dontchaknow

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If I have this correctly any thread that includes flinging virtual bodily fluids or has the potential for cliquey-ness is bad but everything else is good.
    FYP :)

tl/dr The considered responses to Dav's latest post here should be obvious proof of the depth of feeling and investment that users of Boards have.

Boards could not get feedback like this even if they paid.

It's like a car manufacturer denying that one of their models spontaneously combusts, despite a huge number of reports of same from users/customers.

Will those same customers stick with the marque after being snow-jobbed?

There is no liability in the current Boards scenario, but there certainly is probability.

Do it once; do it right. Function › form, almost always. This is not an 'almost' situation.

It's like a half-assed leap card introduction, where the confused user either can't find the bus/tram stop, or can't see which direction to go, or the ticket machine rejects their card.

Result: less traffic.

Bad analogy, because public transport is close to a monopoly. Websites are not.

Dav, you mentioned community / 18 years. Consider the current position of the Roman Catholic church. That church is not the hierarchy, with their various coloured hats. It is the people who come. Check out the demographic next Sunday.

Family › community, 99.9% of the time. Blood › water. No Water Charges! :)

Skin (Cloud) in the game? That is grand, if the game is still on. It's not the fight in the dog - it's the equine dentist's opinion. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, unless you want to go south.

I hope against hope that the smoke will clear, and when/if it does we will all be still here.

Family - Roger Chapman - great shaky voice. Anyway. Strange...

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Dav wrote: »
    Regional Forums
    They're not the same as the rest of the site, they're not supposed to be. After Hours not withstanding, every forum on this site is dedicated to a specific topic. So you want to know about plumbing, you go to the Heating and Plumbing forum, You want to find a bargain, you go to Bargain Alerts, etc. However, if you want to know about getting a plumber in Dublin 15 or whether or not the Tesco in the Wilton Shopping Centre is going to have stock of that TV that's on sale, you want more specific and localised knowledge. You want to talk to your neighbours in effect and so that's why Regional Forums stand separately.

This still makes no sense to me.

You want to ask a question in the Wicklow/Plumbing/TV/Whatver forum you go to the Wicklow/Plumbing/TV/Whatever forum.

All that wasted space up top that could be put to better use!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Maireadio wrote: »
    This still makes no sense to me.

You want to ask a question in the Wicklow/Plumbing/Dublin/TV forum you go to the Wicklow/Plumbing/Dublin/TV forum.

All that wasted space up top that could be put to better use!

Say what now? Need a plumber for your water-cooled TV? On the east coast?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Esel wrote: »
    Say what now? Need a plumber for your water-cooled TV? On the east coast?

Ha. :) No, I'm just saying, if you want to post in, say, the Wicklow forum, you'd just go to Regional --> Wicklow. Why would Regional need its own heading above any other category?

And shouldn't the thinking that Regional needs its own heading to be more easily accessible maybe highlight that all the other categories need to be more accessible too rather than being hidden under Topics?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I still think that it's crazy that there are only four headings at the top of the site and almost the entire content of boards is squashed under one of them.

It just seems like we're hiding our best feature instead of showcasing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Posy wrote: »
    I still think that it's crazy that there are only four headings at the top of the site and almost the entire content of boards is squashed under one of them.

It just seems like we're hiding our best feature instead of showcasing it.

"Best Feature" is kind of relative - if you are a paid employee then the Talk To... area is the best feature, it puts food on your table.

The insistance that
    Adverts.ie ... had nothing to do with Boards.ie for six years. SIX YEARS PEOPLE!

Really?

Yeah, that's why it's given bigger prominence than the majority of Boards.ie forums up there in the menu.

I mean, do the office think people reading this are actual morons or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

AH has degenerated badly since anything resembling opposition to the prevailing "liberal" dogma was banned. Dav himself felt able to tell us right wing opinion is "dangerous"- the clear bias in moderation and mass expulsion of dissenting voices from AH reflects this.

Compelling, interesting debates have now been entirely replaced with threads like 'have you ever shat yourself' and cliquish circle jerks for the remaining regulars.

Who really wants to read or contribute to that puerile nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

"Best Feature" is kind of relative - if you are a paid employee then the Talk To... area is the best feature, it puts food on your table.

The insistance that

Really?

Yeah, that's why it's given bigger prominence than the majority of Boards.ie forums up there in the menu.

I mean, do the office think people reading this are actual morons or what?

Yeah, struggle to see how they dismiss Adverts as irrelevant to boards when a quarter of the top bar is for them, and only them. No clicking through various links to get to adverts is there. We could have done deal, buy and sell and eBay for the other 75% couldn't we? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Yeah, struggle to see how they dismiss Adverts as irrelevant to boards when a quarter of the top bar is for them, and only them. No clicking through various links to get to adverts is there. We could have done deal, buy and sell and eBay for the other 75% couldn't we? :rolleyes:

DoneDeal, Daft and Adverts and TalkTo - then the office can keep telling us that there is no relationship between the other distilled media companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Boards is getting a reputation as an old mans site.

Going to be hard to reverse that.

Generalising here but from what I can see average age of posters has risen a lot in the last 10 years.

How are boards going to get the kids back?

Older posters get the less they post and conversations get stale

Need youth

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

lordjaysus, the best pun I've seen in AH in an age is banned because the mods think Chinese pronunciation jokes are racist.

What lucky bags are yiz getting these lads in?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

What I don't get is, why other websites and businesses in general are not as afraid of getting sued as boards are. Any site that allows Joe public to comment / communicate should in theory be open to the same threat, so why the difference in levels of censorship. I don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

DeadHand wrote: »
    AH has degenerated badly since anything resembling opposition to the prevailing "liberal" dogma was banned. Dav himself felt able to tell us right wing opinion is "dangerous"- the clear bias in moderation and mass expulsion of dissenting voices from AH reflects this.

Compelling, interesting debates have now been entirely replaced with threads like 'have you ever shat yourself' and cliquish circle jerks for the remaining regulars.

Who really wants to read or contribute to that puerile nonsense?

The way that comment got spun is ridiculous.

There's plenty of discussion going on in AH and the café about immigration/multiculturalism so what exactly is the problem?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Bambi wrote: »
    lordjaysus, the best pun I've seen in AH in an age is banned because the mods think Chinese pronunciation jokes are racist.

What lucky bags are yiz getting these lads in?

Have a read of this https://itstopswithme.humanrights.gov.au/what-can-you-do/speak/casual-racism

And for your information they got me in a kinder egg.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If the puns on Soylent green/Bereavement was "casual racism" we've most definitely crossed the Rubicon of over sensitive farce.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

ken wrote: »
    Have a read of this https://itstopswithme.humanrights.gov.au/what-can-you-do/speak/casual-racism

I take it you'll be banning french jokes next father.

Do they still have the reciept for that egg?

Wibbs wrote: »
    If the puns on Soylent green/Bereavement was "casual racism" we've most definitely crossed the Rubicon of over sensitive farce.

Interesting aside, I had a chinese friend growing up, we all called him Steve

We also had a friend who was 100% irish but he had slanted eyes (his whole family did, it was weird) so we all, including Steve, called him Chinger

We didn't see the irony either

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe, though I have found that there is a hierarchy of victim sensitivity, which I personally find racist and condescending. Assuming some passing average Chinese bloke or blokette would automatically find that "racist".

And just in case anyone is in any doubt racism is not OK, however all too often and with more frequency it seems that there is a call to descend to the lowest common denominator of the most offended* rather than any sensible level when any "ism" is in play.

*often offended on behalf of others too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

May we?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

ken wrote: »

they may have been expecting, a kinder surprise...

(sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

Do they still have the reciept for that egg?

As somebody who has no time for racism, I wouldn't have thought it over the top.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Lurkio, your the perfect man to ask! Would a 48hr cool of period have changed your mind about closing your account? After your strop would you have relished the option of reactivating your Nodin account, afterall you spent that much time on it, how many posts? And now it's just tens of thousands of closed account posts, you could offer an interesting perspective here!

gallag wrote: »
    Lurkio, your the perfect man to ask! Would a 48hr cool of period have changed your mind about closing your account? After your strop would you have relished the option of reactivating your Nodin account, afterall you spent that much time on it, how many posts? And now it's just tens of thousands of closed account posts, you could offer an interesting perspective here!

Doxxing's not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Doxxing's not cool.

To be fair to gallag it does say "Yes, I'm Nodin" in Lurkio's location. So its not doxxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

gallag wrote: »

Sure, everyone knows he closed his account to circumvent a future ban from the Political Café.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Doxxing's not cool.

That's not doxxing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Doxxing's not cool.

How's that doxxing? He makes it very public he is Nodin, that's why I wonder if he would have availed of a cooling down period, obviously he wants people to know he is Nodin and still has an attachment to that account.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    To be fair to gallag it does say "Yes, I'm Nodin" in Lurkio's location. So its not doxxing.

Ah so it does.

Comment withdrawn. Dox on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement