Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is becoming a Ghost Town

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

where does political economics fit, given the reason for the creation of the forum in the first place?
    Yea see this is the thing, K-9 posted that a forum - Political Economics - was created in part to accommodate for the issues created by the saga that was/is my ban (issues different to what I discussed in this thread - which I won't go into, as it's another jerry-can full of worms - though I see it's coming up anyway).

It was used as a point, to detract from what I had said - regarding the unjust way, that bans can be escalated on you for no reason after closing your account, and even left escalated above the original ban after this is partially rolled back.

I really don't want to get back into it all again, as it's already taken up too much time in the thread - but me pointing out that that forum is now gone, rebuts that part of K-9's point - and K-9's point isn't even relevant to the issues I brought up here yesterday anyway, as I pointed out a very clear case of mod action being escalated against me, with me doing nothing to trigger/deserve that, and left escalated in different form even after I appealed.

The line gets trotted out that mods are 'imperfect' and make mistakes - yet as I said, those mistakes only seem to be acknowledged in the most tepid way ('imperfect'), without actually properly acknowledging how each small unjust escalation, set the stage for the next mod run-in and escalation; i.e. if mods make mistakes, the poster can still end up being the one paying for them, and mods don't have to own up to anything, in any way more than a figleaf ("mistakes"/"imperfect") way - while still circling the wagons all at the same time...

It's not shutting down opinion, it's the fact that Komradebishop insists on shoehorning this opinion into as many discussions as possible. This has been explained multiple times by mods, Cmods, admins & now Dav.
    Mods don't even know what specific 'opinion' they think they are talking about, when saying this about me, they just recite this crap to smear me personally - it's just another variation of "shut up and go away" really.

I've pointed out a very very clear instance of unjust mod action against me, in this thread - my ban being escalated after closing my account, and left escalated in different form after I appealed that - this is not 'shoehorning' an opinion into a discussion, it is a fact, and while I want to end discussing that in this thread now, as it's gone on way too long, I'm not going to let you try and smear me.

The number of mods so far who have tried to smear me in this thread - with one even openly lying in order to do so...

Remember ancap - you thanked this comment, being extremely dismissive/condescending and personally attacking me, from hullaballoo, that I quoted earlier - so you have a track record in this as well:
    This thread has become very Soviet all of a sudden. Radical simplification sounds like a Stalinist policy. Political Economics, I'm sure, was introduced to stem the witterings of a certain Komrade? And we're annexing the Balkans as well or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

What else do you expect when you see who thanked Tom Dunne's facetious comment linked to above..

A lot of jaded mods/admins who've been here too long, and should probably hand the reigns over to one with fresh ideas on how to improve the site.

smash wrote: »
    If you have a point then maybe it's fine to give an example, but at this point the thread has turned in to a personal crusade...
    This entire strand of discussion in the thread - again, which I want to end now... - relates back to my specific example, of how mods can escalate a ban against someone after they close their account, for no reason, with this being undeserved - and that when this is appealed, the ban can still remain escalated above the original ban, in different form.

The discussion has drawn in all sorts of other stuff from that mess, in the process - but it still relates back to that one core example, and nobody can defend that as justified - so it's well worth pointing out, and is very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

This entire strand of discussion in the thread - again, which I want to end now... - relates back to my specific example, of how mods can escalate a ban against someone after they close their account, for no reason, with this being undeserved - and that when this is appealed, the ban can still remain escalated above the original ban, in different form.

The discussion has drawn in all sorts of other stuff from that mess, in the process - but it still relates back to that one core example, and nobody can defend that as justified - so it's well worth pointing out, and is very relevant.

Pointing it out is grand, continuously pointing it out and derailing the thread is kinda boring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm leaving it now. I just wanted to explain why the forum was closed. My intention was not to derail the thread.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭blackwhite

osarusan wrote: »
    That doesn't even make sense.

TBF, if you were familiar with KB's posting in Politics, Irish Economy or AH prior to that forum (under both this and the previous username), then it would.

From someone who's often fairly critical of modding on here, KB's case seems to be one where mods bent over backwards to accommodate a poster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

blackwhite wrote: »
    TBF, if you were familiar with KB's posting in Politics, Irish Economy or AH prior to that forum (under both this and the previous username), then it would.

From someone who's often fairly critical of modding on here, KB's case seems to be one where mods bent over backwards to accommodate a poster.

To clarify, PE was KB's idea. However enough people (possibly myself as well) supported its creation in Forum Requests that it came into being thanks to Black Swan doing the work to create it. It was closed due to the traffic being almost non-existent.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Pointing it out is grand, continuously pointing it out and derailing the thread is kinda boring.
    Well, given the posts smearing me, as well as trying to diminish my initial point - I don't have much choice - I'm not going to accept people smearing me, or trying to detract from what is a very clear unjust set of mod actions.

blackwhite wrote: »

Really? Can you explain then, how mods 'bent over backwards', to rectify the unjust escalation of my ban, after my account was closed?

Again: After my account was closed, my ban was escalated, and then when I got sitebanned due to that, the siteban was removed - but my ban was still left escalated above what it originally was - I did nothing to trigger or deserve any of that, and that escalation led to much of the further grief with my interactions with mods.

Explain how mods bent over backwards to rectify that. Any takers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well, given the posts smearing me, as well as trying to diminish my initial point - I don't have much choice - I'm not going to accept people smearing me, or trying to detract from what is a very clear unjust set of mod actions.

Shall we get a firing squad ready? You seem to want someone shot over this and won't be happy until it happens.

Shall we get a firing squad ready? You seem to want someone shot over this and won't be happy until it happens.
    I want people to stop smearing me personally - as has happened several times since I brought this up yesterday - and I would like people to stop trying to diminish that unjust set of mod actions (it's very clear cut really, nobody has tried to attack it directly...), by trying to drag in everything and the kitchen sink to either distract from it or attack my character.

I brought that up, as it's relevant to the problems with moderation on Boards - so I don't appreciate the massive wagon-circling effort being undertaken, to try and bury it.
    In an ideal world, it would be nice if mods could acknowledge it - in something more than a tepid "mistakes happened" "moderation is imperfect (but we're still going to leave you in the shít...)" kind of way - and I leave other people to speculate, why mods would not acknowledge such a clear-cut case of unjust mod action.

Now can we end this line of discussion already?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

osarusan wrote: »
    I think you should take a look at the first reply to the thread KB started in Feedback on an issue in the Economics forum. Think about the decision in the Economics forum that caused the thread to be started too.

Here's the thread.

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057524046

I don't think I've ever seen a worse, more insulting, more dismissive response to a legitimate query in feedback (the legitimacy of which was acknowledged by Dav later in the thread).

Would you say that the original decision and response is something that is at odds with what I've quoted from you above? It seems to me like the very definition of shutting an opinion down.

The new forum was set up shortly afterwards osaruran partly because we took on boards kb's points on the thread. That first post isn't great, but that's unfair on the C-mods, admins and mods who worked on creating the new forum that kb wanted. I'm sorry osaruran, but opening a new forum for a poster to discuss subjects he wanted to discuss is the antithesis of shutting opinion down.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    The new forum was set up shortly afterwards osaruran partly because we took on boards kb's points on the thread. That first post isn't great, but that's unfair on the C-mods, admins and mods who worked on creating the new forum that kb wanted. I'm sorry osaruran, but opening a new forum for a poster to discuss subjects he wanted to discuss is the antithesis of shutting opinion down.

Here is the thread from Forum Requests. I was never told that this forum was for KB. It went down the traditional route to becoming established.

I want to note as well, I appreciate the help from mods involved in helping that forum be created - particularly Black Swan - the issues I began discussing here aren't anything to do with that forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Really? Can you explain then, how mods 'bent over backwards', to rectify the unjust escalation of my ban, after my account was closed?

Again: After my account was closed, my ban was escalated, and then when I got sitebanned due to that, the siteban was removed - but my ban was still left escalated above what it originally was - I did nothing to trigger or deserve any of that, and that escalation led to much of the further grief with my interactions with mods.

Explain how mods bent over backwards to rectify that. Any takers?

You keep claiming the ban was upgraded for no reason whatsoever - and this seems to be your core gripe with the site. Is there anything to actually back it up at all? Or are you just basing it on the timing?

I'm not familiar with the DRP and/or prison thread on this - but it's hard to believe that a mod/admin arbitrarily upgraded a ban for no reason.

Here is the thread from Forum Requests. I was never told that this forum was for KB. It went down the traditional route to becoming established.

Ah yeah, the forum got granted after going through the usual process, which involves C-mod and admin support and approval. Taking 1 OTT post in that thread ignores that kb's concerns were addressed by granting the new forum.

I feel I have to point that out because osaruran's doesn't give the wider facts at all and it is a total misrepresentation (probably unknowingly) of the site to say we didn't listen. The Admins and C-mods set up a whole new forum to address things raised by kb.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Myrddin wrote: »

"How to be a mod 101"

Someone needs to write out basic help/tips for new mods.

"Stop locking threads or at the very least have a damn good reason and post it before you lock"

"If putting a warning in a thread put it in post 1"

Basic stuff that keeps coming up^^

Some mod posted earlier he had burn out from looking for posts to card or wondering if he should card...well it was something like that he said, thats stupid. If it's not jumping off the screen rubbing sh1t under your nose then it's grand. (Give it another look if reported)

"Threads dont need an accompanying essay from the OP."

So many forums with not much traffic and then a dopey mod pissing people off for crap like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭andrea1983

Tell mods to chilll out 2

check out my posts in the legal discussions

i might be a bit direct

But it's a bit of bantz like

**** just ban me like, not like boards needs the activity....

What else do you expect when you see who thanked Tom Dunne's facetious comment linked to above..

A lot of jaded mods/admins who've been here too long, and should probably hand the reigns over to one with fresh ideas on how to improve the site.

I said this earlier.

Theirs at least 2 admins that've been pulled on their posts several times just here in feedback with...contempt (?) for users.

Site is full of lifer mods/admins that can barely be arsed replying to ya if you ask them something...if they don't have time/sick of it why are they doing it??

Hullabaloo should be gone for his lying crap earlier aswell.

tbh was a good mod, I'd be hard pressed to think of another and would put mods as problem 1 for the site before anything else.

• Advertisement

simple enough to resolve aswell.. Boards emails the lot,

Do you wish to continue to be a Mod/CMod/Admin/Comm manager?
    If yes, please list a few ways you are currently or intend to help the site to grow..
    If no, time for new blood.. this isnt 2006.

Far too many lifers who think the gig is just handing out cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

"How to be a mod 101"

Someone needs to write out basic help/tips for new mods.

"Stop locking threads or at the very least have a damn good reason and post it before you lock"

"If putting a warning in a thread put it in post 1"

Basic stuff that keeps coming up^^

Some mod posted earlier he had burn out from looking for posts to card or wondering if he should card...well it was something like that he said, thats stupid. If it's not jumping off the screen rubbing sh1t under your nose then it's grand. (Give it another look if reported)

"Threads dont need an accompanying essay from the OP."

So many forums with not much traffic and then a dopey mod pissing people off for crap like that.

Can you quote the mod that posted this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Can you quote the mod that posted this?
    I think this is the post that Tombstone was referring to.
    I agree with the vast majority of this thread though I will admit I am a re-reg. My previous account was as a moderator and I wanted a clean break when I stepped down.

As another side to the debate, I stepped down as a moderator because I was tired of the abuse, the stress and the level of vitriol by posters. I was tired of posters who danced the fine line of attacking the post not the poster, whose every post involved an inner debate for me trying to decide if it could be infracted. I always tried to avoid the 'don't be a dick' reason as I felt it was a cop out but to be honest there just seemed to be more and more posters who were being 'a dick' so to speak.

I found the recession made even the far more moderate posters in my forum incredibly angry, short tempered and far more inclined to have rows. I feel it destroyed the community. Excellent posters left. Extra mod hands were appealed for and appointed but they were slow to take the reigns. Eventually after an epic pm exchange with a yellow carded poster I decided that was it, I didn't want anymore of it.

The sad part of it was that I was asked to be a mod because of my contributions to the forum. However at that stage I found I couldn't contribute because I was 'the' mod. i still don't contribute to the forum in the way I did, it killed it for me. I read it, not post. I still get horribly uncomfortable reading borderline posts in it

I'd wonder if there is a lot of posters like me too, who stepped up, became mods and burned out maybe closing their accounts too.

I miss boards in its former glory. I have raved about it to friends. I don't anymore. It's quiet. I used to be able to sit down and browse hundreds of the most recent threads and could never keep up. Now I can, easily. This makes me sad. And I bit the bullet and installed the Reddit app yesterday because I'm off sick and boards no longer has enough to keep me entertained alone

I said this earlier.

Theirs at least 2 admins that've been pulled on their posts several times just here in feedback with...contempt (?) for users.

Site is full of lifer mods/admins that can barely be arsed replying to ya if you ask them something...if they don't have time/sick of it why are they doing it??

Hullabaloo should be gone for his lying crap earlier aswell.

tbh was a good mod, I'd be hard pressed to think of another and would put mods as problem 1 for the site before anything else.

Jaysus, all the mods are crap then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

wyrn wrote: »
    I think this is the post that Tombstone was referring to.

So nothing about "looking for posts to card".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Listen, I'm not interested in getting involved in user vs mod (cmod / admin) posts and counter posts. I just thought I know the post that Tombstone was referring to and thought I'd be helpful.

simple enough to resolve aswell.. Boards emails the lot,

Do you wish to continue to be a Mod/CMod/Admin/Comm manager?
    If yes, please list a few ways you are currently or intend to help the site to grow..

If no, time for new blood.. this isnt 2006.

Far too many lifers who think the gig is just handing out cards.

I know what my response to that email would have been back in my mod days /close account :D

Might as well email them to ask them to justify giving up their free time , it's not their job to help the site to grow.

wyrn wrote: »
    Listen, I'm not interested in getting involved in user vs mod (cmod / admin) posts and counter posts. I just thought I know the post that Tombstone was referring to and thought I'd be helpful.

That's the post, thanks.

Might as well email them to ask them to justify giving up their free time , it's not their job to help the site to grow.

Not the whole site, just their own forums.. lougc is an example of building the Christmas forum.. excellent job done.

The it's not my job mentality will close the place.

• Advertisement

"whose every post involved an inner debate for me trying to decide if it could be infracted."

That there...it pretty much as I said. Silly way to be modding a forum.

On phone, couldn't go looking for the post before hand and I said something like """"""" """"""".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement