Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is becoming a Ghost Town

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Healthwave Thread in BA shouldn't have been locked.
    The thread was to help people save some people shopping around, that's why the thread was created. Posters were warned before about illegal importation, so closing this thread if going to be used to go outside the law.

"Posters were warned" --> Not that I can see?? No previous Mod warning?

Nudge back on Topic was all that Thread needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

^^ Have you PMd the mod that locked it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

DeadHand wrote: »
    Warn people of what exactly? That information or pictures you posted voluntarily on the internet could be hijacked for nefarious purposes?

If you do not know this without someone warning you then you have no business using the internet.

The blame for the existence of the nasty site that Cannot Be Named lies partly with the boards who, through excessive moderation and clear political bias, managed to aid in the creation of a monster. That combined with the anger, spite and frustration of the few involved.

The blame for said few having information/pictures to attempt to hurt people with lies solely with the people who willingly broadcasted the information/pictures in the first place- not the boards. The blame for any hurt caused lies with the few- not the boards.

Indeed, discussion of the site that Cannot Be Named should not be shut down- the air of mystery and taboo only serves to strengthen its dubious attraction.

Sadly, shutting down discussion is the MO around here.

Well no suprises there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Healthwave Thread in BA shouldn't have been locked.

Nudge back on Topic was all that Thread needed.

Also the, "does boards know the reputation it has ", should have been moved to feedback instead of being locked.

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Legal Action

Lurkio wrote: »
    Well no suprises there.

No surprises about what? Seems completely reasonable what he said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Warn people of what exactly? That information or pictures you posted voluntarily on the internet could be hijacked for nefarious purposes?

If you do not know this without someone warning you then you have no business using the internet.

The blame for said few having information/pictures to attempt to hurt people with lies solely with the people who willingly broadcasted the information/pictures in the first place- not the boards. The blame for any hurt caused lies with the few- not the boards.

As stated earlier in the thread, a lot of Boards users have grown up in the Web 2.0 era where everything is on show, and expressing themselves online seems to be the way things are done. While it might seem like common sense to older users not to have such a wily nilly attitude to self-exposure online, it's obviously not like that for some users.
    but not warning people and allegedly deleting discussion when it comes up seems pretty ****ty to me

I'm not sure any kind of warning against posting pics/personal info in threads or in T&Cs would make much of a difference either. It would most likely be a case of in one ear and out the other, like health warnings on cigarette packets! In the end it's the person themselves who needs to limit what they post online about themselves. Boards.ie should not have to play the role of media literacy teacher...maybe that's something for parents or primary schools to take on board.

In a perfect world one could post whatever they liked online with no consequences. Alas, it's not and therefore due diligence is required.

No surprises about what? Seems completely reasonable what he said.
    The blame for the existence of the nasty site that Cannot Be Named lies
    partly with the boards who, through excessive moderation and clear political
    bias, managed to aid in the creation of a monster. That combined with the anger,
    spite and frustration of the few involved.
    Indeed, discussion of the site that Cannot Be Named should not be shut down- the air of mystery and taboo only serves to strengthen its dubious attraction.

No, not really.

No, not really.

Not seeing any issue there mate.

Anyway I hate this narcissistic attention whoring world we live in. If a bunch of creeps and loser scare enough people into taking their info and pictures off line and it leads to the demise of Facebook and Instagram, then I say good.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The guys on that other site are just laughably pathetic imo. Thinking they're doing some great work by spending hours upon hours trawling through the posts made here by the people that they seemingly 'hate', only for a tiny handful of people to ever read or take any of it seriously.

Obsessive freaks and outcasts is all they are. Hate boards and posters so much that they set up an echo chamber called Boards, and do nothing but talk about posters. It's actually quite hilarious if you look beyond the hate filled intentions of people there.
    The blame for the existence of the nasty site that Cannot Be Named lies partly with the boards who, through excessive moderation and clear political bias, managed to aid in the creation of a monster.

Yeah, it's Boards' fault for not allowing the type of threads that now exist there /s

Threads like 'Tranny Laws Backfiring' and 'Bicycle Faggots' :rolleyes:

If only Boards was to allow such things, shur we'd all be better off, eh?

I'd say the blame for any hurt lay squarely with those investing time and effort into going through posts here, ya know; for the purpose of hurting others.

There was one case where a former Mod had her name and location posted. I'm pretty sure she never actually posted that info herself, but other posts and unrelated things she had mentioned over the years were used to piece together enough to identify her. That's her own fault is it?

I'm sure there are people from that site reading this thread. Any of ye have the courage to stand by your convictions and post here, using your normal Boards accounts?

Not seeing any issue there mate.

No, I don't imagine you would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Yeah, it's Boards' fault for not allowing the type of threads that now exist there /s

Threads like 'Tranny Laws Backfiring' and 'Bicycle Faggots' :rolleyes:

If only Boards was to allow such things, shur we'd all be better off, eh

A lot of anger here- not a lot of reading comprehension.

I did not claim the type of discussion that goes on there is acceptable here or anywhere else; it's repellent. My point, which you missed in your hast to attack me, was that nasty sites like that are a reaction. If a more balanced, fair and politically neutral approach toward moderation were taken on this site the other one may not exist and certainly would not enjoy the traffic and notoriety it does.

Hateful people are hateful people- but they've been handed a cause, the grievances and the oxygen required to be relevant. That does not excuse what they do but goes some way to explaining why they do it.
    I'd say the blame for any hurt lay squarely with those investing time and effort into going through posts here, ya know; for the purpose of hurting others.

Agreed, which is exactly what I stated in my original post. Read it.
    There was one case where a former Mod had her name and location posted. I'm pretty sure she never actually posted that info herself, but other posts and unrelated things she had mentioned over the years were used to piece together enough to identify her. That's her own fault is it?

It's fundamentally a question of personal responsibility.

In this case, she put the information out there- I'm not sure what the Boards can do about that and I do not see how they should be expected to "warn" people against doing so. People should know this themselves without being told- which was my original point. The fact that enough information to track her was on the boards was no-one's fault but hers.

Of course, the fact that some social inadequates later maliciously used this information in an attempt to (I don't know, why do people do it?) hurt or humiliate her for lack of better terms- is not anyone's fault but the social inadequates.

In an ideal world we would be able to happily post whatever we wanted on the internet. We do not live in an ideal world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I had a thread I put up at 1am about anger locked at 7am because there was no question in it. That is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I had a thread I put up at 1am about anger locked at 7am because there was no question in it. That is just stupid.

Did that make you angry?

No, I don't imagine you would.

Just point out the issue you have with the post.

As for that forum. Obviously a post like 'tranny laws backfiring' is an insulting and provocative title but if started a thread like 'transsexual bathroom laws' I feel it would be closed down and I'd be given a warning which is a major problem with Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I've seen the super mystery website and I genuinely thought it was very young intense teenagers posting on it. Very little footfall.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Of course, the fact that some social inadequates later maliciously used this information in an attempt to (I don't know, why do people do it?) hurt or humiliate her for lack of better terms- is not anyone's fault but the social inadequates.

There was a thread in Feedback a few months back with mods talking about banning and whatnot. Anyways, it transpired that some folks who have been banned, have re-regged up to a few hundred times in a day to try and get around it! That's the sort of folk yer dealing with here unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You posted in the wrong forum as that one is very specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

mzungu wrote: »
    There was a thread in Feedback a few months back with mods talking about banning and whatnot. Anyways, it transpired that some folks who have been banned, have re-regged up to a few hundred times in a day to try and get around it! That's the sort of folk yer dealing with here unfortunately.

That's crazy, fairly sad lives they lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

face1990 wrote: »
    ^^ Have you PMd the mod that locked it?

In my exp, most can't be bothered repyling, I reported it though to see if one of the rest of them in that section would undo the lock but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

In my exp, most can't be bothered repyling, I reported it though to see if one of the rest of them in that section would undo the lock but no.

When did you report it? Tbf it's the weekend and (despite what people say) they do have real lives off boards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If a mod is not responding then contact the Cmod who will look into for you.

As a mod I would hope I have responded to any pms I received querying actions. I do receive alot of abusive pms and rants which I wouldn't reply to for obvious reasons though.

I did not claim the type of discussion that goes on there is acceptable here or anywhere else; it's repellent. My point, which you missed in your hast to attack me, was that nasty sites like that are a reaction. If a more balanced, fair and politically neutral approach toward moderation were taken on this site the other one may not exist and certainly would not enjoy the traffic and notoriety it does.

Like allowing denigration of an entire religious faith's members and allowing anyone who disagrees to be called a "rape apologist" perhaps. Sounds like a wonderful notion. There's nothing like the freedom to engage in personal attack and religious bigotry to improve debate, and indeed society in general.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

I remember the first or second time i signed up here, and i put in my email address, chose a username, password, whatever, grand. then i came across a page 'tell us a bit about yourself' or whatever.
    History
    Real Name
    Biography
    Occupation
    Google Talk
    Blog
    Twitter
    Facebook

and i was filling it in, thinking to myself 'why the hell do they need all this information?' getting more and more annoyed, and maybe halfway through i copped myself on and deleted it all. But I could easily have had all that on my profile for everyone to see, because i thought Boards required it... just a Variation On A Theme

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Like allowing denigration of an entire religious faith's members and allowing anyone who disagrees to be called a "rape apologist" perhaps. Sounds like a wonderful notion. There's nothing like the freedom to engage in personal attack and religious bigotry to improve debate, and indeed society in general.
    have you been to the Atheism forum lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Look at the end of the day, it's a discussion board. You can't control other people's views. They might not be right, or nice, but much like a penis, you cannot force your opinions or your views down other people's throats.

Honest to god reading those threads, looking at someone with one view and someone else with another view is like watching two simpletons with buckets on their head running into a wall thinking the wall is the other person.

You cannot reasonably expect everyone who doesn't hold your views to be shut down and banned from the Internet. It's not how a discussion board works.

Look at the end of the day, it's a discussion board. You can't control other people's views. They might not be right, or nice, but much like a penis, you cannot force your opinions or your views down other people's throats.

Honest to god reading those threads, looking at someone with one view and someone else with another view is like watching two simpletons with buckets on their head running into a wall thinking the wall is the other person.

You cannot reasonably expect everyone who doesn't hold your views to be shut down and banned from the Internet. It's not how a discussion board works.

Jesus Christ where did that come from? Agree with your sentiment though.

Jesus Christ where did that come from? Agree with your sentiment though.

I think opinions are exactly like dicks. Wonderful things to have and wave about but don't shove it into another persons mouth without prior consent. Anyway my thoughts on the male anatomy doesn't belong in feedback

have you been to the Atheism forum lately?

You'll find nothing similar. At all.

....people approving of the genocide of the Rohinga? How the "jews" are behind it all? thinly veiled calls for violence against minorities?

• Advertisement

....people approving of the genocide of the Rohinga? How the "jews" are behind it all? thinly veiled calls for violence against minorities?

Hey look, they can sing happy birthday to hitler if they want. They're probably very disgusting people, but you cannot control their opinions. You cannot turn their heads to your way of thinking. They can think whatever they like. They're making themselves look ridiculous. People are allowed not have the same opinions as you. It doesn't make this site a bad site, it doesn't make mods bad for not shutting it down. It's a discussion board. It's not a "I only want to talk to like minded people" board. Yes it's frustrating, but it takes all sorts doesn't it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement