Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is becoming a Ghost Town

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just the right note of tetchy superciliousness there. Are you looking for the gig?

I don't particularly care one way or another. Feedback is solicited; feedback is given, no matter how trivial. It's not an attack.

I was a mod on a previous account, I have zero interest in ever doing it again.

You're interest is touching, though.

I'll surely think about it tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭polluxspiky

They should be treated with the exact same level of disdain that they have treated the site / other users with that resulted in them getting banned in the first place.
    Interesting attitude, and to have so many moderators thank this.
    So giving abuse is now OK as long as you've received abuse. Great rule. Ye should put it in the charter. "Don't be a dick. Unless somebody was a dick to you."

Interesting attitude, and to have so many moderators thank this.
    So giving abuse is now OK as long as you've received abuse. Great rule. Ye should put it in the charter. "Don't be a dick. Unless somebody was a dick to you."

I'm not going to get into a back and forth on this as i can already see a few wagons circling but to clarify.

I'm talking about multiple accounting, multiple banned trolls.

People that sign up and continue to do so / re-reg just to antagonise and act the bollox.

First time accounts are rarely banned for anything other than the most serious of offences or shilling/spamming.

Users will invariably be given a one month ban to try and let them know that their conduct is not acceptable, most are given a fair chance, as they should be. Some however do not take the suggestions to alter their behavior on board and end up getting permabanned.

They then re-reg, get caught, get banned again, plead innocence, it was my brother / housemate / open network / work colleague, admit the truth and the cycle starts again.

This happens over and over again.

If people cannot respect the rules of the site, what conceivable reason would you have for treating them with any respect?

Now maybe you are a better person than me, good for you but if someone behaves like a dick, unrelentingly, then they deserve to be treated like a dick.

The same is true in every single walk of life.

Now maybe you are a better person than me, good for you but if someone behaves like a dick, unrelentingly, then they deserve to be treated like a dick.

I like the way you posted reams trying to justify your position and then eventually said exactly the same thing anyway: you should be allowed to abuse anybody you've decided is abusive.
    And a lot of the mods seem to agree.
    As long as it's them or mates doing it I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I like the way you posted reams trying to justify your position and then eventually said exactly the same thing anyway: you should be allowed to abuse anybody you've decided is abusive.

And who did you used to be? A new reg soap-boxing about unfair treatment in the Prison forum as if it's the most significant issue this site has. More than a bit strange, it has to be said.

• Advertisement

Respect is earned amigo.

Don't give it then don't expect to get it then cry foul when it bites you on the arse.

An File wrote: »
    And who did you used to be? A new reg soap-boxing about unfair treatment in the Prison forum as if it's the most significant issue this site has. More than a bit strange, it has to be said.
    That's one way (the most obvious one I'd say) of avoiding the topic of the conversation isn't it?
    Q: Why do many mods seem to thing abuse is OK if they're the ones doing it?
    A: You must be a re-reg.

Respect is earned amigo.

Don't give it then don't expect to get it then cry foul when it bites you on the arse.
    Got you the first two times. Abuse is OK if you feel abused.

An File wrote: »
    BTW, I wasn't commenting on the Prison forum at all, but you'd already dialed up to DefCon 4 so that passed you by I suppose. I was commenting on mods thanking a post saying mods abusing members is OK if they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's a little defensive to immediately conflate (fairly tame) criticism of the process with support for banned trolls and other nuisances (and ironically to start using the same sort of tetchy, primary school teacher tone that was the whole point of note while doing it).

The original point was that letting the whole site read the process is a bit unedifying and isn't a great image to present to the wider site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Someone needs to fix the search function on the mobile app. It's impossible to find even the simplest threads etc that I just give up.

The improvement wasn't an improvement. For a site like this to work it has to be easy to find what you want...and it's not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

The two apps are laughable. It's like they gave the project to first year college students.

A half arsed attempt.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

we should be getting paid to post,

say a dollar a post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

There probably loving these threads in feedback. It's giving the site traffic a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Got you the first two times. Abuse is OK if you feel abused.

I don't think anybody gets abused in prison!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

XR3i wrote: »
    we should be getting paid to post,

say a dollar a post
    Fi dollar! Love you long time!

Not your ornery onager

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Its kind of the point of it though isnt it.
    "oh lets laugh at people over how great we are" Like, as I said, I enjoy reading them sometimes but then I think about it and its like, why am I laughing? It does nothing good for the site and just further reinforces the moderator culture which is massively apparent on the site

BMMachine wrote: »
    Its kind of the point of it though isnt it.
    "oh lets laugh at people over how great we are" Like, as I said, I enjoy reading them sometimes but then I think about it and its like, why am I laughing? It does nothing good for the site and just further reinforces the moderator culture which is massively apparent on the site
    Yeah, mods are cults. Like. Totally. Cupid. Stunts. Cunning. Stunts. Imagine appropriate smilie here.

Not your ornery onager

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Esel wrote: »
    Yeah, mods are cults. Like. Totally. Cupid. Stunts. Cunning. Stunts. Imagine appropriate smilie here.

they aren't, you are reading into the wrong thing there.
    what Im saying is its too visible and too much to do with how people interact. There is dispute resolution for when its needed. I personally feel that the names of the mods should be at the bottom of the forum they moderate and for all their badges and titles to disappear on regular forums. Stop making being a mod a "thing" (Im sure a mod will happily jump on this and go "trust me, being a mod is no thing boi" but no, it is and it directly influences the culture of the site)

they aren't, you are reading into the wrong thing there.
    what Im saying is its too visible and too much to do with how people interact. There is dispute resolution for when its needed. I personally feel that the names of the mods should be at the bottom of the forum they moderate and for all their badges and titles to disappear on regular forums. Stop making being a mod a "thing" (Im sure a mod will happily jump on this and go "trust me, being a mod is no thing boi" but no, it is and it directly influences the culture of the site)
    I wasn't really replying to you there.

I agree totally that the mod 'description' should only appear in the forum(s) that they moderate. Any other forum - just 'Registered User'. Like not wearing the uniform when you're off-duty. Otherwise, it can be intimidating to regular users. That should not be rocket science to implement.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

If people cannot respect the rules of the site, what conceivable reason would you have for treating them with any respect?

It really isn't. Admins should absolutely lead by example. Trolling the trolls in the prison forum has come to a complete stop since it was brought up.

The fact so many mods thanked your post meant that mentality hasn't percolated down just yet, but will hopefully in time.

Edit: any lurking, waggon circling mod looking to make a quick jab, no I've never been a guest at boards.ie pleasure.

It really isn't. Admins should absolutely lead by example. Trolling the trolls in the prison forum has come to a complete stop since it was brought up.

The fact so many mods thanked your post meant that mentality hasn't percolated down just yet, but will hopefully in time.

Edit: any lurking, waggon circling mod looking to make a quick jab, no I've never been a guest at boards.ie pleasure.

So if someone in the real world behaves like a douche, all the time, they should still be treated with the utmost respect?

Maybe you really, truly believe that, but I'd hazard a guess that if you do then you are in the company of Gandhi and Mother Teresa tbh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I personally feel that the names of the mods should be at the bottom of the forum they moderate and for all their badges and titles to disappear on regular forums. Stop making being a mod a "thing" (Im sure a mod will happily jump on this and go "trust me, being a mod is no thing boi" but no, it is and it directly influences the culture of the site)

That is an item that is raised by moderators all the time and alot of mods would like it that way. AFAIK there are technical reasons why it hasn't happened to date. It would be better for everyone imo.

So if someone in the real world behaves like a douche, all the time, they should still be treated with the utmost respect?

Maybe you really, truly believe that, but I'd hazard a guess that if you do then you are in the company of Gandhi and Mother Teresa tbh!
    Utmost respect? No one said that.

But to troll them? Absolutely not.

Doesn't mean I'm in company with Gandhi, just means i don't stoop to trolls level.

Just on your point here, where in the real (developed) world are people treated based on how they themselves act?

Do something wrong? Go to prison. Doesn't mean what ever you did to deserve to go to prison is done to you in there.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Prison has evolved. Go back to its early days and it was a free for all when anyone could chip in. It's toned down, and yes I'm sure some of the Feedback here and in another recent thread has resulted in it toning down more. Ultimately though those who find themselves in there for taking the p!ss out of the site can't really complain when they get a little of their own medicine back, particularly when it's they, and not the Admins, that have made it into a game.

Beasty wrote: »
    Ultimately though those who find themselves in there for taking the p!ss out of the site can't really complain when they get a little of their own medicine back, particularly when it's they, and not the Admins, that have made it into a game.

I really don't give a toss about trolls.. lowest of the low (bar shills). But as you say, prison has evolved, and admins trolling for whatever reason, is hopefully a thing of the past.

In time, as I say, that m.o. will percolate down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Winterlong wrote: »
    The trouble with the prison forum IMO is that it is a form of macabre entertainment where the jailers can seem to be enjoying the pleading of the banned a bit too much.

No need for it to be public.

A list of banned people can be easily seen here if anyone wants to keep tabs on such things.
    www.boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php

There must be more banned posters than posters at this stage. Call for an amnesty.

Edit:

Better URL.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php

A quick guesstimate is 50,000 plus banned accounts. No wonder there are issues with re-regs.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A quick guesstimate is 50,000 plus banned accounts. No wonder there are issues with re-regs.
    Of those 50,000 how many were spammers before the curtains were brought down on them? Of the rest how many have been banned for re-regging? My own "guesstimate" would be probably less than 10,000 individuals, other than spammers, have been sitebanned and a lot of those have been allowed back either because their ban was temporary or on appeal

There have been over 800.000 accounts created over the history of the site, although the vast majority of those accounts have been "abandoned" for a variety of reasons. However in my view banned users represent a relatively small proportion of the overall Boards "population"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Beasty wrote: »
    Of those 50,000 how many were spammers before the curtains were brought down on them? Of the rest how many have been banned for re-regging? My own "guesstimate" would be probably less than 10,000 individuals, other than spammers, have been sitebanned and a lot of those have been allowed back either because their ban was temporary or on appeal

There have been over 800.000 accounts created over the history of the site, although the vast majority of those accounts have been "abandoned" for a variety of reasons. However in my view banned users represent a relatively small proportion of the overall Boards "population"

I see. The list on the left didn't say re-reg at all, as a reason for banning.

That said 800,000 is far higher than I expected. So 50,000 is moderate in that scheme.

(A uk forum would have to have ~11M accounts, and a US forum ~70M to compare. That's a hell of a dominant position.).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement