Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is becoming a Ghost Town

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

2 individuals probably have about 3,000 accounts between them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

There must be more banned posters than posters at this stage. Call for an amnesty.

Edit:

Better URL.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php

A quick guesstimate is 50,000 plus banned accounts. No wonder there are issues with re-regs.

Your link is the same?

There use to be alot of chinese spammer Bots making accounts...like 40-50 a day at a guess.

The Moderation makes it very hard for anyone to last on this site. Every now and then an old Thread gets bumped and you see all these names you remember from years ago all Banned.

And their was a newish thing in prison there awhile back (maybe still at it) where they banned people based on their record. Their was a few posters who had seemingly done nothing to earn a ban/infraction...but they came to someones attention somehow and were banned based on having racked up 15 bans/12 infractions etc, I'm wasn't sure what to make of that carry on. Their was one person banned in that bunch for what seemed like an alright record to me...something like 3 bans/5 infractions over years on here (seems like near saintly to me after the ban I got). Their was talk one time I think* about expunging a posters rap sheet after a certain amount of time but it never came to anything like so much on here.

*It had to be here.

Boards should change it's tag line to "we'll get to it in 10years", climate change is happening quicker than changes on here.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A quick guesstimate is 50,000 plus banned accounts. No wonder there are issues with re-regs.

As _Tombstone_ mentioned, a few years ago we had a major issue with spambots. However it wasn't 40-50 a day signing up, it was literally hundreds. It was almost a full time job banning them all, and they're the reason why some admins have particularly high ban counts. Fortunately countermeasures were implemented to stop the spambots opening accounts. These have been very successful and now we only ever see the odd one.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I see. The list on the left didn't say re-reg at all, as a reason for banning.
    Partly that's because "re-reg" is not, I think, a standard "dropdown" option and it looks like some of the Admins don't bother adding narrative, just choosing the likes of "ignored mod instruction". However there are still a couple where re-reg or the name of the prior account is mentioned

What that list/sample does suggest is total site bannings are currently running at around 5 a day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

K-9 wrote: »
    TBH I have grown a bit of affection for oul S***l*s. Hell, he made it into my spellcheck "learn spelling" bit. :D He's a persistent cove he is. I think it's a hobby for the chap at this stage. Like collecting stamps or somesuch. *waves, cos sure as the sky is blue, he's hanging out on Boards again and just might see this* :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I do have the odd chat with him myself before admin catch up and site ban him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I think ye should leave him alone and stop banning him ye pack of gowlbags. See what he does then.

Of course track record comes into it, how else would you deal with trolls and WUM's Tombstone?

Still if somebody had a clean period of a couple of years, old stuff could be ignored, or treated with less significance is probably more correct.

Sometimes you'll find somebody builds up a record, avoids a ban by re-reg(s) and then comes back to the old account to continue again.

Posters won't see that and neither should they, but it should be pointed out that other accounts are taken account of. Listing the accounts might be tmi, privacy beats nosiness, so just making a note of it would be transparent enough.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Reddit have a nice idea. Shadow banning people.

They think they are contributing but no one can see there posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I think ye should leave him alone and stop banning him ye pack of gowlbags. See what he does then.

For a week

• Advertisement

Tbh the guy said he'd re-registered just the few times on boards on another site talking about here, so if he can't even be honest about his main hobby as Wibbs puts it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Reddit have a nice idea. Shadow banning people.

They think they are contributing but no one can see there posts.

Please tell me this is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

K-9 wrote: »

Hardly?! Would you be bothered? Email addresses, usernames, passwords, for what? Posting about Liverpool winning a match? Lord save us

Hardly?! Would you be bothered? Email addresses, usernames, passwords, for what? Posting about Liverpool winning a match? Lord save us

They are bothered. I'd say 3,000 could even be a conservative estimate. And they don't even post about football because there's a waiting period to get access to the Soccer forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Zaph wrote: »
    They are bothered. I'd say 3,000 could even be a conservative estimate. And they don't even post about football because there's a waiting period to get access to the Soccer forum.

Why....the effort of that like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Now I just feel bad for them.

Why....the effort of that like

Yeah, I can think of plenty of other ways to amuse myself.
    Now I just feel bad for them.

Tbh they don't bother trying to hide who they are. They just fire off a few posts pretty much in the knowledge that they'll be banned and their posts deleted shortly afterwards. What motivates them to keep doing it? Who knows, force of habit maybe?

Yeah, I can think of plenty of other ways to amuse myself.

Tbh they don't bother trying to hide who they are. They just fire off a few posts pretty much in the knowledge that they'll be banned and their posts deleted shortly afterwards. What motivates them to keep doing it? Who knows, force of habit maybe?

Are the posts ban worthy? Do you ever leave and see if they'll act the tool?

Are the posts ban worthy? Do you ever leave and see if they'll act the tool?

In the past the posts that originally got them banned were definitely banworthy. One in particular still gravitates to the same sort of threads that he got banned over, so we'd rather not entertain him and his posts are deleted. It's a bit like a game of Whack-a-Mole really.
    LynnGrace wrote: »
    My contribution for what it's worth, I would like a bit more transparency about why one is, or is not 'allowed' to join a private forum. Being told that 'someone objected' is a bit... :confused:

I posted this feedback already upthread but I think it might get somewhat lost hence second post.

Private forums are simply hosted on Boards, we have no insight into the inner workings of them. Being told that someone objected is admittedly a bit blunt, but each makes their own rules and I suppose can be as nice or as blunt as they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Christ I'm stuck on the new site atm, and I can't find my way around. Why the **** did I go and clear the cache for. Not that I even know what cache is. I'm using old iPad and thought it might speed it up a bit. **** me this layout sucks donkey balls big time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How many private forums are there?
    I only know of about 5 or 6.
    I doubt you would have been refused entry to any of the ones I know so I guess there are a good few.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    How many private forums are there?
    I only know of about 5 or 6.

That's on a need to know basis. :D

Actually I have no idea, there are a good few more than 5 or 6 I reckon, but I think a lot of them are pretty much dead at this stage and there's only a handful of active ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Nice of ye to ban me from AH for making people aware of viable threats against them

Reason for ban - "Promoting a site"

Are you even serious?

I PM'd both a mod and an Admin and was ignored by both before I posted in that thread, suggesting that others take care

Unreal

Good to see you're having a good time here, Zaph :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

That's on a need to know basis. :D

Actually I have no idea, there are a good few more than 5 or 6 I reckon, but I think a lot of them are pretty much dead at this stage and there's only a handful of active ones.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The "in" jokes continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

Nice of ye to ban me from AH for making people aware of viable threats against them

Reason for ban - "Promoting a site"

Are you even serious?

I PM'd both a mod and an Admin and was ignored by both before I posted in that thread, suggesting that others take care

Unreal

Good to see you're having a good time here, Zaph :rolleyes:

Was it deleted? What site was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Was it deleted? What site was it?

Yeah it was deleted!

Here's the PM I sent to mods and admins originally

Site name redacted, because that is the real danger /s
    I dunno if you're aware of that **** site

They like to harass and post personal details of Boards users.

My own name and address has been posted there and I've been keeping an eye on it.

There's a thread there now, about this one. It sounds very sinister.

I'd post a warning myself on the thread but people have gotten into trouble for doing so in the past.

Anyway... it's something that needs to be taken into account right now by people posting on Boards, let alone organising a get together.

Here's a link to the thread on **** - https://****/v/Boards/comments/1066412

Boards really needs to pull the finger out of its ass and address this, before somebody actually gets hurt.

The "in" jokes continue.

We aren't joking about those 2 guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

Yeah it was deleted!

Here's the PM I sent to mods and admins originally

Site name redacted, because that is the real danger /s

Ah i see. I don't know if you have been reading this thread but this mystery site and its problems have been discussed quite a bit. Well discussed might be too strong a word

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement