Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is becoming a Ghost Town

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nice of ye to ban me from AH for making people aware of viable threats against them

Reason for ban - "Promoting a site"

Are you even serious?

I PM'd both a mod and an Admin and was ignored by both before I posted in that thread, suggesting that others take care

Unreal

Good to see you're having a good time here, Zaph :rolleyes:

Banned or infracted? If banned, that is seriously fupped duck. I read your post as a genuine heads-up warning.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cory

What a great thing to read through as a new user...

Golden days are over?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Esel wrote: »
    Banned or infracted? If banned, that is seriously fupped duck. I read your post as a genuine heads-up warning.

Banned... for one day!

Very obviously just to shut out the things I was talking about
    Guiding traffic to the site is giving them what they want. This is why I had to shut you down tonight as you seemed intent on advertising them despite knowing that it isn't allowed.
    I am not sure what you think boards can do about this issue??
    That said I don't speak for boards.

I understand you have pm'd an admin. I will be happy to reverse your ban once you have spoken to them.

That's the response I got.

The Admin ignored me though, Both here and with the PM I sent

Ah heyore, don't be quoting PMs! A one-day ban is like a tap on the wrist. (Words below do not refer to you.)

Underage disco, mother drove. All your base... Why are there no Cheerios? I hate your face! My teachers are all dicks, they took my iPhone. Stay out of my room, mom, just leave me alone - until I call you and ask for a lift home.

Not your ornery onager

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Yeah it was deleted!

Site name redacted, because that is the real danger /s
    Here's a link to the thread on **** - https://****/Boards/comments/1066412
    im sure i read the top comment there on reddit the other day...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Esel wrote: »
    Underage disco, mother drove. All your base... Why are there no Cheerios? I hate your face! My teachers are all dicks, they took my iPhone. Stay out of my room, mom, just leave me alone - until I call you and ask for a lift home.

^this is what boards should be, just random shíte that makes you smile

^this is what boards should be, just random shíte that makes you smile
    If you think that was random poo - more fool you. :) Dawn chorus, with an obstructed pylorus. Fledglings fall to the ground, old cat comes around. A heads-up display means someone has to pay. Can't we all just get along? You're right, I'm wrong. Though we had some crack, there is no going back. Onward and upward, just don't use a banned word.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

What's the rules on telling someone to shut up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

K-9 wrote: »
    2 individuals probably have about 3,000 accounts between them.

The admins must not have shown them enough respect when banning them.

They just need a hug.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

They just need a hug.

We've tried that. We had free hug a troll day, but they just wanted more.
    #creepfest#handsofftheassets

• Advertisement

Banned... for one day!

Very obviously just to shut out the things I was talking about

That's the response I got.

The Admin ignored me though, Both here and with the PM I sent

The admin you contacted will be in touch, sometimes RL gets in the way of all the typing.

As to that site - it's been discussed here and we've chatted to HQ about it.
    The advice we've received from the experts and the gardai is to do exactly what we are doing - starve them of oxygen.

I know that might not what you want to hear but these guys are just craving and seeking attention. Every hit you send their way feeds into their twisted delusion and reinforces their misbelief that they are winning the good fight.

You and I both know that they are sad fuppers that if you met around the town would be likely sniggering in a corner, sniffing glue talking about the alien takeover of the government, sure who else would be putting chlorine in our water ffs..

As to what we can do here - just use common sense, if you are not comfortable folk finding out things about you don't link in to your FB account or twitter account - anything publicly available here just like anywhere can be trawled. If posters on another site have made threats or similar against you then take screenshots and go to your local garda station - or contact that site's owners.

Once more, pushing traffic their way is the wrong thing to do here. We've already had one poster who refused to listen to that advice, started multiple threads complaining at what boards was doing for information she had pushed out there herself before she started engaging on that site. So the traffic there jumped - it went from maybe 4 posts a day to 8, again the increase in traffic and noise about their inane mumblings is all they wanted in the first place.

It was easier years ago, we'd lock them up in a rubber room, now though any warrior with a keyboard can act the big man. I prefer to picture Dougal with the button on the plane. I'm not trying to be dismissive here MNiURL - just trying to give some context from my pov. Again though the admin you contacted will get back to you once they've had a chance.

Taltos wrote: »
    We've tried that. We had free hug a troll day, but they just wanted more.
    #creepfest#handsofftheassets

Sure, "they" had busy hands.

I know what yer sayin big fella.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Zaph wrote: »
    Private forums are simply hosted on Boards, we have no insight into the inner workings of them. Being told that someone objected is admittedly a bit blunt, but each makes their own rules and I suppose can be as nice or as blunt as they like.

Is the bolded fully correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I don't think so... While they do pick their own mods, as far as I'm aware, they're still bound by the site rules. I've seen admin and higher step into private forums on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Private forums are simply hosted on Boards, we have no insight into the inner workings of them.
    :rolleyes: Do you really have to post this, knowing it to be untrue?
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Is the bolded fully correct?
    Of course not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

They just need a hug.

This your standard of feedback? Waiting in the wings for the passive aggressive opportunity.

Waiting in the wings for the passive aggressive opportunity.

Touched that you are concerned about how and where I post.

:)

This your standard of feedback? Waiting in the wings for the passive aggressive opportunity.

You know what, feck it, pissing in the wind here.
    Hope there's enough life jackets for everyone.

Private forums are simply hosted on Boards, we have no insight into the inner workings of them. Being told that someone objected is admittedly a bit blunt, but each makes their own rules and I suppose can be as nice or as blunt as they like.

This is most definitely not the case Zaph. As an admin you should know this. Dav and Niamh are listed as the Category Mods at the bottom of the private forums.

Touched that you are concerned about how and where I post.

:)

Glad I brightened your Friday. Now back to the importance issues, IE updating the Business Cat thread.

• Advertisement

This is most definitely not the case Zaph. As an admin you should know this. Dav and Niamh are listed as the Category Mods at the bottom of the private forums.

But as Admins we have no role in the private forums.
    Dav & Niamh are employees so their role might be different. Big black hole there.

The only interaction we might have as admins is to delete any reported posts and flag them to HQ or the mods of those forums, but in the last year I've only done that twice.

Admin/Owner : Hey guys, stop bringing your private forum stuff into non-private forums, but if you want to call people names in here then do it

Members : oops, sorry about that, won't happen again, kthxbai
    (admittedly, there was a single issue that happened, everyone held their hands up, apolgised and moved on (we thought))

...couple of years later...

Nosey Admin : Hey guys, I was just reading your private forum of which I'm not an invited member, but because I'm an Admin I have access and I'm very nosey, I saw you calling my friend a bold name, do it again and I'll shut the place down

Members : wtf!?

Community Manager : because of that last incident we were keeping an eye on you, oh also changed that rule set down by the owner but didn't tell you that calling people names was no longer acceptable, and if you don't stop then you can fúck off.

Members : we'll fúck off then

Dav & Niamh are employees so their role might be different. Big black hole there.

The only interaction we might have as admins is to delete any reported posts and flag them to HQ or the mods of those forums, but in the last year I've only done that twice.

WRONG

Seriously, Admins, stop posting untruths when it's more than easy for people to link to a thread proving them falsehoods. Skip to post #28

Admin/Owner : Hey guys, stop bringing your private forum stuff into non-private forums, but if you want to call people names in here then do it

That definitely isn't true for any private forum I am or was in. They all had a rule that talk of non members wasn't allowed.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    That definitely isn't true for any private forum I am or was in. They all had a rule that talk of non members wasn't allowed.

Well, as you aren't a member of the forum I am talking about then I can't exactly prove it - but I'll stick a link anyway so the Admins are reminded of it.

Also, I don't appreciate the implication that I'm not being truthful about that.
    You can have your opinions of anyone you like, you can sit in here and b*tch and whinge about who you think is a knob end

Jackboot trample, out of the blue

Perhaps not. I really don't know about that but it's not accurate to say they are only hosted by Boards when Dav and Niamh have a say.
    Zaph's post made it seem that Boards provide a platform for private forums and that's it.

You're seeing an implication where there is none. I didn't say it didn't or doesn't happen, I said

"That definitely isn't true for any private forum I am or was in."

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    You're seeing an implication where there is none. I didn't say it didn't or doesn't happen, I said

"That definitely isn't true for any private forum I am or was in."

ok, I'll choose to take that at face value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Seriously, Admins, stop posting untruths when it's more than easy for people to link to a thread proving them falsehoods. Skip to post #28

So threads are being closed for being too cliquey and for isolating people but it's fine to join a private forum and make fun of other posters that can't defend themselves? That's lovely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement