Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is becoming a Ghost Town

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

So threads are being closed for being too cliquey and for isolating people but it's fine to join a private forum and make fun of other posters that can't defend themselves? That's lovely.

oh great, this again.

I'm not interested in re-hashing that thread linked, simply to point out the fact that what Admins say, in this thread, about their interactions with private forums is provably untrue.

And nobody should be under a false impression about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Seriously, Admins, stop posting untruths when it's more than easy for people to link to a thread proving them falsehoods. Skip to post #28

Again you are reading way too much into it and my above statement is not an untruth.
    As admins we don't have anything to do with private forums. As I said in the last year the only action I have taken as an admin there is to delete 2 reported posts and to flag them to HQ and the forum mod team.

I don't go in viewing the forums or posting to them, I'm not a member there and I respect their privacy. Just because as an admin I have access doesn't give me the right to nosey around.

If an admin has posted in a private forum in an official capacity I can only imagine its either because they've been called on by the PF-mods, by HQ if it's a weekend and no-ones about or available or for some other reason I'm not aware of. As Zaph called about above and as I've said we as admins don't have anything to do with the PFs as a general rule.

Who knows that might change, it's changed in the past I'm sure but at least today I don't go near them even if I can. It's called trust, not something I hold in light regard. Now, I'm all for helping and sharing information but ease back on the righteous indication or implications that I am lying - don't appreciate that, even on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,162 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Taltos wrote: »
    I don't go in viewing the forums or posting to them, I'm not a member there and I respect their privacy. Just because as an admin I have access doesn't give me the right to nosey around.

Probably a good thing, as it seems the Admin in question was booted / left boards over it.

Taltos wrote: »
    Again you are reading way too much into it and my above statement is not an untruth.
    As admins we don't have anything to do with private forums. As I said in the last year the only action I have taken as an admin there is to delete 2 reported posts and to flag them to HQ and the forum mod team.

If an admin has posted in a private forum in an official capacity I can only imagine its either because they've been called on by the PF-mods, by HQ if it's a weekend and no-ones about or available or for some other reason I'm not aware of. As Zaph called about above and as I've said we as admins don't have anything to do with the PFs as a general rule.

Who knows that might change, it's changed in the past I'm sure but at least today I don't go near them even if I can. It's called trust, not something I hold in light regard. Now, I'm all for helping and sharing information but ease back on the righteous indication or implications that I am lying - don't appreciate that, even on the web.

You don't, but some Admins demonstrably do, and have done in the past. And will do again.

Is that clear enough for you? And I'm simply pointing that out to people, in case they think otherwise.

the rest of your post is handwaving bluster. If you are going to post on behalf of the Admins (as it looks like you did) then you are going to be called when what you are saying is demonstrably not true.

And as I have said as a rule we don't.
    There are obviously exceptions and I have to believe that where these exceptions occur there is a strong justification for doing so.

Now we can agree to disagree on this or you can keep hammering away there BC. Your call.

& Boggles, I've no idea about that, happened before I came to the admin camp. But if true let's move on, hardly fair to the people in question.
    As above though our roles do change and at least since I joined the admin team leave the PFs to HQ and the local mods. This role might have changed in the past and it might change again, frankly there's enough going on in boards and my own forums to keep me busy as it is.

• Advertisement

Jesus christ.

Yes?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

:rolleyes: Do you really have to post this, knowing it to be untrue?

The point that was raised was in relation to the admission policy of private forums and that's what I responded to. Yes, we can see private forums should we wish but we don't know what criteria each private forum applies to new admissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

So threads are being closed for being too cliquey and for isolating people but it's fine to join a private forum and make fun of other posters that can't defend themselves? That's lovely.

The vast majority of private forums don't allow any mention of non-members. I've been in several (left most because I spent too much time on boards!), and if you mentioned a non-member, even in a positive, "oh, wxyz is sound," way, an on-thread warning was issued and posts removed.

There may be one or two without this rule that I'm unaware of, but the majority don't allow any talk of non-members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The vast majority of private forums don't allow any mention of non-members. I've been in several (left most because I spent too much time on boards!), and if you mentioned a non-member, even in a positive, "oh, wxyz is sound," way, an on-thread warning was issued and posts removed.

There may be one or two without this rule that I'm unaware of, but the majority don't allow any talk of non-members.

The kind of jobsworthy over modding that "that other evil site" loves to hear about and why threads like this get so much trafiic.
    Warning: How dare you call someone sound. They are not hear to prove that they are in fact a prick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You know what, feck it, pissing in the wind here.
    Hope there's enough life jackets for everyone.

Why would you complain about passive aggressiveness and then post that?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

gimmick wrote: »
    The kind of jobsworthy over modding that "that other evil site" loves to hear about and why threads like this get so much trafiic.

The warning is more like:

"Please remember not to discuss non-members."

In fairness, I understand it. Someone could say "Oh, Penny Tration is sound." Nice comment, whatever.

But someone else could then come back and say "ah no actually I think she's an aul cnut."

No mention at all of non-members just prevents any bitchiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

A private hidden forum is not really on the Internet, being not searchable by Google. It's a private conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

K-9 wrote: »
    Why would you complain about passive aggressiveness and then post that?

Pissed off at being mocked for trying to proviode genuine feedback.
    That and seeing the posts that passing mods thank, tells me I'm pissing into the wind on this thread.

Plus, it was just after I dragged two kids from their bed into crèche, so I may have been a bit short tempered.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pissed off at being mocked for trying to proviode genuine feedback.
    That and seeing the posts that passing mods thank, tells me I'm pissing into the wind on this thread.

Emm, thanks don't mean that much.

It really is a shame that a hell of a lot of humour will be gone from the prison forum, which a hell of a lot of people like but their opinion doesn't seem to matter at all. Same as God forbid mods making a few stupid jokes that people can ignore.

Many complain AH and other forums aren't like they used to be so wby don't we make prison bland and a safe space for trolls too, really finish the job. I didn't get my coke ration today, that's a dumb joke, let's ban it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

It really is a shame that a hell of a lot of humour will be gone from the prison forum, which a hell of a lot of people like but their opinion doesn't seem to matter at all. Same as God forbid mods making a few stupid jokes that people can ignore.

Many complain AH and other forums aren't like they used to be so wby don't we make prison bland and a safe space for trolls too, really finish the job. I didn't get my coke ration today, that's a dumb joke, let's ban it.

You asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

gimmick wrote: »

If it's a rule of a forum then it's hardly jobsworthy to give someone a reminder/warning of the rule. In our private forum we don't allow discussion of non-members or other forums, whether positive or negative. We just don't see what good will come of it. What if a member is discussed and then the join the forum in the future and come across the post(s)? We're not an overly exclusive forum so it could easily happen. We also just don't like the thought of anyone being talked about in front of our 100+ members, without that individual's knowledge. The forum runs very actively without the need to discuss others.

It leaves me cold knowing there's a thread on a private forum where people are allowed bitch and whinge about other users. It's pretty pathetic and not much different to those on the site-which-must-not-be-named.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Hardly?! Would you be bothered? Email addresses, usernames, passwords, for what? Posting about Liverpool winning a match? Lord save us

I know! It's so incredibly tedious setting up a new email address. I had troubling registering here because of some site glitch and had to do that maybe ten times. So very boring. Why would anyone want to do that over and over again? :confused::eek: What a waste of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Maireadio wrote: »
    So very boring. Why would anyone want to do that over and over again? :confused::eek: What a waste of life.

Hence why the Admin tend to take the p*ss out of them in Prison threads. You do it over and over again with the same people breaking the same rules and having to explain the same thing to them over and over again, and so you find ways to make it someway enjoyable, because no matter what you say, they're not going to change, and you're going to be right back in Prison with them a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hi, I can't seem to post for some reason and have been directed to here, the prison forum. Can anybody help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think this highlights the disconnect boards has created between mods and 'regular' users. A lot of people liked certain humour in other threads and boards was quick to remove it without discussion and with support from the mods. But now that the mods/admins are on the receiving end it's 'how dare they do this to us,our opinion doesn't matter'. Yes, people can ignore the stupid jokes if they want but you can say that about any of the stupid jokes that have been posted on the site, but because mods are doing it the onus should be on the poster to avoid it?

Also fail to see the connection between AH and the prison forum. Forums like After Hours and the Soccer Forum are high volume forums which have been in decline over the last few years due to being hijacked by one or two moderators. The prison forum is relatively unknown and putting a stop to the pathetic posts in it won't really finish off any other forums.

It leaves me cold knowing there's a thread on a private forum where people are allowed bitch and whinge about other users. It's pretty pathetic and not much different to those on the site-which-must-not-be-named.

:confused: WTAF? :confused:

I think you should consider a name change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Boggles wrote: »

Or buy a jumper

You're surprised that someone is unimpressed with one of the founders of the site telling people to go ahead and bitch about other users in a private forum? I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

You're surprised that someone is unimpressed with one of the founders of the site telling people to go ahead and bitch about other users in a private forum? I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I can tell you that bitching of other users in private forums is completely not allowed to go on. And rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

People are going to talk about you behind your back all the time. Get used to it. In this case, DeV was - imo - being pragmatic about how enclaves work and basically saying 'keep it clean and amongst yourselves when you must vent about whoever or whatever'. And I say that as someone who may have come up negatively in said private forum over the years.

Because the alternative is so very simple - go elsewhere and say whatever the feck you want with your own space on one tab and boards on the other.

In any case, the shock and horror expressed over this topic in the original feedback thread and today always struck me as a bit put on tbh. Thinking that Private Forums wouldn't occasionally mention happenings on public forums seems an outrageous expectation to me. Once they weren't used as platforms for bullying, etc who gives a flying **** tbh.

Nothing that gets posted on the internet surprises me. Which is probably the core of my point.

I am confused that what a bunch of strangers may or may not say about another bunch of strangers on a forum you have no access to or idea what is being discussed actually brings out a negative physical reaction in you.

I'd suggest leave the internet immediately or stop being such a hyperbolic benny and grow up.

La.de.da wrote: »
    I can tell you that bitching of other users in private forums is completely not allowed to go on. And rightly so.

That's not true according to the thread that was linked to in the previous page.

Every private forum has their own set of rules.

Nothing that gets posted on the internet surprises me. Which is probably the core of my point.

I am confused that what a bunch of strangers may or may not say about another bunch of strangers on a forum you have no access to or idea what is being discussed actually brings out a negative physical reaction in you.

I'd suggest leave the internet immediately or stop being such a hyperbolic benny and grow up.

What's a benny? :confused:

Very little on the internet bothers me. I think using a private forum on boards to bitch about other users is nasty playground-type stuff. I'm not personally offended but I find it pathetic.

• Advertisement

I'm not personally offended but I find it pathetic.

And cold.

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement