Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is becoming a Ghost Town

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Amazon only has the paperback. I'm not quite that curious.;)

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Yeah and what would be the mechanism for changing the quotes I wonder? Because I would assume if it was straightforward it would already be implemented, which it is not. It might just not be possible

Parse the text before you display it for known closed accounts and don't show their name in the quoted text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

K-9 wrote: »
    Jaysus, people throwing dummies out of a pram over not being able to look at some pretty ladies on the Internet. For a week or so!

That poster that said posters need to calm down wasn't far wrong. Must be the heat or something.

What a lovely attitude towards boards.ie users :rolleyes:

This is exactly the sort of thing that is turning people off the site. Such condescension.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

WarZ wrote: »

This is exactly the sort of thing that is turning people off the site. Such condescension.

To be fair if that sort of post upsets people and puts them off visiting a website then they won't like the internet as a whole,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭polluxspiky

Jaysus, people throwing dummies out of a pram over not being able to look at some pretty ladies on the Internet. For a week or so!
    Again with the quick reach for the easy out. It's not important enough for us to discuss, apparently. So there. You don't even have to comment on whether it's right or not. That's handy.
    I think it's being used more as an example than a specific case to be analyzed anyway. I mean, the default seems to be "when in doubt or if it's that time of the hour MODERATE IT!!!!". The default should be "nobody's dead yet so carry on".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭polluxspiky

WarZ wrote: »

As said before, if a poster said this sort of stuff to a mod there'd be cards. You get the community you make. If you want mods v posters then this is the exact way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's been a suggestion that has done the rounds before(IIRC Trojan came up with it) and it does seem to be the best compromise alright. Though I suspect unless it's a case of flipping a switch it's unlikely to happen any time soon.

Here's a link to the previous discussion.

I doubt it would ever make it to implementation, but it would be really cool if it did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

After seeing that gearbest have been allowed their own forum becuase they have paid now and the 3/4 responses from our beloved community manager to a 1500 post thread it really begs the question why boards has community managers.
    Just call them brand managers at least becuase they do nothing for the community.

Maybe if I pay a subscription I can have a ban reversed or a second account.

Dav and niamh, while I know they are lovely people, do themselves absolutely no favours while representing boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Working in Global IT I can see why developers like rolling out new designs. The problem is, these developers do not tend to use the sites so they have no idea whats functional or not. Once they redesign something they tend to wipe there hands of it and move on letting the users adapt whether is good or bad.

As for Boards becoming a Ghost town - I think alot of interesting posters from times go past have closed their accounts. These were the posters who created content which drew people here in the first place.

While boards in interesting and you still get info. You have to sieve through alot of randomness to get where you want to.

Years ago it felt like Boards.ie as a whole was a community. Now the community feeling is in small sectors of the site

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Cabaal wrote: »
    To be fair if that sort of post upsets people and puts them off visiting a website then they won't like the internet as a whole,

Don't worry cabal I've being called a lot worse. A lil keyboard insult about prams and dummies doesn't bother me in the grand scheme of things.
    Jaysus, people throwing dummies out of a pram over not being able to look at some pretty ladies on the Internet..

You know, I don't know if ye are being really stupid or really dumb. As Pollux so rightly pointed out I'm using this closed gawping at the hotties thread thread as an example of what is happening throughout the site.

I remember the first illegal immigrant thread being closed and all the posters being dismissed as racist homophobe islamophobe knuckle draggers and the next one opened and was shunted out to the wilderness of "humanities".

Seriously, front page news in every major news paper the world over and ye shunt it off to humanities.

Next politics was nuked. Gone. To be archived. What's next?

No discussion of banks cos they happen to have sponsored threads. Cos mark my words, that's coming if it's not already happening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Trojan wrote: »
    Here's a link to the previous discussion.

I doubt it would ever make it to implementation, but it would be really cool if it did :)
    Yay T. :D \0 like fecking Betelgeuse, only you have to mention him the once. :p

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yay T. :D \0 like fecking Betelgeuse, only you have to mention him the once. :p

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

As said before, if a poster said this sort of stuff to a mod there'd be cards. You get the community you make. If you want mods v posters then this is the exact way to go about it.

This stuff has been said to mods, we're well used to it.

A thread about hotties at the European Championship gets closed until guess what, the Championship starts and some guy throws his toys out of the pram.

Yeah, a bit of cop on wouldn't go a stray.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

This stuff has been said to mods, we're well used to it.

A thread about hotties at the European Championship gets closed until guess what, the Championship starts and some guy throws his toys out of the pram.

Yeah, a bit of cop on wouldn't go a stray.

I think you missed his point.yes stuff like that might have been said to mods but I bet cards or warnings or worse were issued,thats the difference.on another note,regardless that gearbest has been welcomed aboard,i s there an apology going to be issued by Dav for calling a banned poster a vile and disgusting person on a public forum? I wont hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So since the last time I caught up with this thread, Dav has signalled the intent to move the "responsive" menu to the Desktop/"Legacy" site, and a new company that previously caused bannings, was banned from mention itself, and led to a ridiculously over the top statement from Dav has been welcomed aboard AND given a unique place as a sub-forum of BA - the same forum they were previously (indirectly) shilling. Meanwhile the tons of valuable and constructive feedback being offered here continues to go ignored.

That about cover it?

Jaysus.. I don't know what is going on at HQ these days or who is making these decisions, but it's clear to me that they haven't a clue about how to manage a discussion forum and the community that their "business model" absolutely depends on. When you see long-standing posters, Mods and even Admins getting increasingly frustrated over it, what impression do the powers-that-be think that gives to regular and especially new(er) posters about how the site is run?

Of course this too will likely be ignored, but that seems to be standard procedure these days - only respond to favourable posts or minor elements, but ignore everything else that doesn't fit with "the plan".
    I can only assume that these decisions are being pushed from group/executive level, because even I (a regular poster) can see how negative and damaging an effect this approach has had and is continuing to have on the site. You'd presume that people who are around longer and involved more deeply with greater access could clearly see the outcome from themselves.

I'm taking this to mean then that Dav's hands are tied and while he may very well be raging with us (I don't know the man), he's powerless to stop or influence what's happening too - and that is perhaps the most worrying aspect of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Your tone stinks a bit, to be fair.

Not sure how I personally feel about nuking old accounts although I can see how people can change over the years and deeply regret what they've written, especially young people, in the face of a changing life and Internet.

I like Smash's idea of scrambling a user name - if it's technically feasible - and think it's a good compromise between saving content and giving people a opt out.

I'm not really opposed to that idea though I'm not sure I can see it happening. But deleting posts (and this WAS being suggested)? Yes, I really hate that idea. If that means my attitude stinks because I am quite strident in that viewpoint, so be it.

But that's useless really, which was my original point.

Whether I'm K-9 or User123456 isn't that important, what matters is the views, opinions and details in my posts.

Take a re-reg now, other posters often spot them because of turns of phrases, spelling, views etc. Somebody who wants to trawl through previous threads will be able to spot who user123456 is.

So, I'm wondering what's the advantage of basically giving my posts a different name?

A very good point! And something that was going around the back of my head but sadly could not be articulated due to hothead-itis. The changing of usernames does seem a bit pointless, especially as it's no different to someone closing their account to dissociate themselves and creating a new account.

I think it's a mental thing. If a generic username is picked that wasn't their choosing, it's easier to mentally distance themselves from the account they want to forget about, just be able to just subconsciously think "That wasn't me" and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This appeared as a pop up this afternoon, hovering above every other program I had opened until I closed it. Ironic considering the privacy discussion only a few pages back {edit: I'm guessing it's not actually from boards.ie, just happened to appear when browsing it}

387602.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

that's actually hilarious

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just regarding the hotties in the crowd thread in soccer, I locked it because there's no actual crowds at the tournament to get pictures from yet and also because it had pretty much already started to cause a bit of friction. There was no intention of heavy handedness on my part, I even made a crap joke abut nipples.

Copa America is starting tomorrow so I'll probably re-open it later tonight with a no chat rule and no quoting pics rule in place, that way folks can just enjoy the scenery.

Honestly if people had issue with the thread being locked wouldn't it have been better to just PM me and explain to me why they felt I shouldn't have locked it rather than running off to a forum I'm very unlikely to even read (it's pure fluke i even saw the above posts) to use it as an example of "mods vs users" mentality or whatever. It's hardly surprising that mentality exists when they don't even bother to talk to the actual mods they have such an issue with. It's a two way street imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This appeared as a pop up this afternoon, hovering above every other program I had opened until I closed it. Ironic considering the privacy discussion only a few pages back

387602.JPG

You're not running Skype for Business by any chance? I've seen things like that pop up in the recent builds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I am now aware of a thread in which I can revisit Russian Female Supporter At Euro 2012.

Consider all previous criticism of this thread invalidated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You're not running Skype for Business by any chance? I've seen things like that pop up in the recent builds

You know what, I did a bit of further digging and while it wasn't open at the time, that's what I now suspect. So apologies to boards, I did think it would be odd.

However Skype already has my photo, and I'm running the same build for months, but it's still top of my list as it's been acting the dick for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Are those comments fake or real? I presume from the mod forum.

Lovely.

Why has the quesiton been ignored about why adverts.ie has been given 25% of the top menu real estate when Dav made a HUGE deal about how boards.ie and adverts.ie are separate entities now? It's actually really bugging me. A number of people have asked this question and nada in response.

If a big deal is going to be made about how boards.ie and adverts.ie are separate now and we're going to be lectured about it, then people deserve an answer to that question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

It reads like him alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

It seems very dismissive to suggest that everything is fine, and all can be sorted out by painting lipstick on the proverbial pig.

But, I suppose anyone who says so is an over-wrought special snowflake, whatever that is.

• Advertisement

Questioning a mod on thread no longer infractionable?

not sure what to think about that one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement