Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is becoming a Ghost Town

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Lots of other questions unanswered too.

Is that reddit thread quoting Dav real?

It was posted elsewhere too (site which cannot be named), along with other stuff about what's going on behind the scenes, supposedly by a current mod on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It was posted elsewhere too (site which cannot be named), along with other stuff about what's going on behind the scenes, supposedly by a current mod on boards.

and mods other than Dav quoted too. Supposedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

If it IS indeed a current mod, he or she is doing a decent job of typing in full English, broken English and using too many capital letters to disguise their writing style. Seems an awful lot of trouble to go to, to disguise typing style, if it weren't an actual mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

If it IS indeed a current mod, he or she is doing a decent job of typing in full English, broken English and using too many capital letters to disguise their writing style. Seems an awful lot of trouble to go to, to disguise typing style, if it weren't an actual mod.

That's how Mods ban people though they go through posting history looking out for common misspellings so wouldn't be surprised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭polluxspiky

Maireadio wrote: »
    Why has the quesiton been ignored about why adverts.ie has been given 25% of the top menu real estate when Dav made a HUGE deal about how boards.ie and adverts.ie are separate entities now? It's actually really bugging me. A number of people have asked this question and nada in response.
    One blindingly obvious constant in this thread is that tough questions just don't get answered here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

One blindingly obvious constant in this thread is that tough questions just don't get answered here.

I'm not sure there's any business in the country that DOES answer those kind of questions when they are asked by it's customers.

But then again, are users the customers here, or the product for sale? I'm not sure of any company where the product is capable of asking such, or any, questions.

I mean, what are those companies paying for Talk To Forums, or sponsored posts, or whatever else is on offer, actually purchasing? Access to the user base, that's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You've noticed that as well eh ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭polluxspiky

kneemos wrote: »
    tweaks to how we present things rather than any real need to change
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

If that was Dav he had a good poInt on not being hard on questioning moderators.

The other fixes should be.

1) except for egregious violations a friendly (but stern) PM should be sent rather than a visible infraction for any first violation on a thread. People don't like the yellow cards at all.
    2) after that warning and with another violation a banning from the thread for a day or two, next PM warning when he's back warns that he will be banned for longer next time.
    3) when infractions run out hide them from mods. Long term posters collecting infractions and getting banned after a long time collecting inevitable warnings is bad news. (Admins can see them maybe.)

I also think that a bit more sense in the handling of trolls wouldn't go amiss. I saw today a guy get infracted for calling the poster of a clear trollish comment an idiot. Presumably this comment was reported by the troll. The proper response should be "stop trolling, troll".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Why has the quesiton been ignored about why adverts.ie has been given 25% of the top menu real estate when Dav made a HUGE deal about how boards.ie and adverts.ie are separate entities now? It's actually really bugging me. A number of people have asked this question and nada in response.

If a big deal is going to be made about how boards.ie and adverts.ie are separate now and we're going to be lectured about it, then people deserve an answer to that question.

What difference deos this make if they are or not. :confused:

Not meaning to run down your point/query....but I really don't see issue here

(I see none of this-use touch site)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I saw today a guy get infracted for calling the poster of a clear trollish comment an idiot.

I once got red carded for 'backseat modding' because I told someone to either contribute or leave the thread. This was after they had left multiple one line replies with the intention of aggravating people.

I'd also like to know if that post is actually from Dav.

smash wrote: »
    I'd also like to know if that post is actually from Dav.

Well I have seen it on two different sites. One was Reddit and the other was "the site that can't be mentioned". They were quoting other mods as well. It wouldn't be the first time information has leaked from the mod forum.

If a big deal is going to be made about how boards.ie and adverts.ie are separate now and we're going to be lectured about it, then people deserve an answer to that question.

Well if they are separate I think we should assume that adverts are paying a royal ransom for that prime advertising real estate space. If not then there is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Like boardsdeals was separate, I take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

What difference deos this make if they are or not. :confused:

Not meaning to run down your point/query....but I really don't see issue here

(I see none of this-use touch site)

I'm mostly a laptop user, and I think it's a big deal.

Most of the site is hid under Topics. It is very clunky and unwieldly. Regional, for a reason Dav gave that didn't make much sense, gets 25% on its own and adverts.ie gets 25%.

That space could be put to much better use in making the site more accessible and user-friendly and instead it is being given over to a company that it was made very clear to us is a separate entity. A song and dance was made about it.

If it's a separate entity, why is it being given so much visibility at the expense of better navigability of the actual website?

I'm not picking on this point for no reason!
    gandalf wrote: »
    Well if they are separate I think we should assume that adverts are paying a royal ransom for that prime advertising real estate space. If not then there is an issue.

I wish they would just confirm this. That's all they need to do. At least we would then know!

Like boardsdeals was separate, I take it.

Nope they are separate alright.

Distilled Media Group has signed a deal with Norway’s Schibsted Media Group that will merge two Distilled businesses, the property portal Daft.ie and the online marketplace Adverts.ie, with Schibsted’s DoneDeal.ie.

The founders of Distilled Media, brothers Eamonn and Brian Fallon, separately operate several other online sites including Boards.ie and TheJournal.ie, neither of which is part of this transaction. They will continue to operate under their current ownership.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/daft-ie-and-donedeal-ie-merge-in-new-venture-1.2278241

I'm mostly a laptop user, and I think it's a big deal.

Most of the site is hid under Topics. It is very clunky and unwieldly. Regional, for a reason Dav gave that didn't make much sense, gets 25% on its own and adverts.ie gets 25%.

That space could be put to much better use in making the site more accessible and user-friendly and instead it is being given over to a company that it was made very clear to us is a separate entity. A song and dance was made about it.

If it's a separate entity, why is it being given so much visibility at the expense of better navigability of the actual website?

Balls to that...if twoz that awkward...I just wouldn't use it tbh

Can you use touch site on laptop???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Balls to that...if twoz that awkward...I just wouldn't use it tbh

Can you use touch site on laptop???

I use the legacy site currently. I use the site and like it, but a casual user might just say "feck this, I cant find anything".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I reckon they are doing a couple of translation hops to 'break' their English first.

Not your ornery onager

I use the legacy site currently. I use the site and like it, but a casual user might just say "feck this, I cant find anything".

And therein lies the problem with users

Who's going to use something that's hassle/effort

It's why I do use reddit on the phone...or that site that can't be mentioned (rhymes with a marine vessel)

That new site showed up one day on my phone and I just wouldn't use it tbh..as if it's hassle...why would ya bother

I'm in doubt it would last (most likely prosper) without me...tbf it's pure shtie I talk on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Is boards becoming like a ghost town?

You must not be one of The Specials.

I'll get my coat
    All the clubs are being closed down.... People getting angry

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'm intrigued by this site that can't be named and why.
    Can someone PM the name ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

1) except for egregious violations a friendly (but stern) PM should be sent rather than a visible infraction for any first violation on a thread. People don't like the yellow cards at all.
    2) after that warning and with another violation a banning from the thread for a day or two, next PM warning when he's back warns that he will be banned for longer next time.

I also think that a bit more sense in the handling of trolls wouldn't go amiss. I saw today a guy get infracted for calling the poster of a clear trollish comment an idiot. Presumably this comment was reported by the troll. The proper response should be "stop trolling, troll".
    smash wrote: »
    I once got red carded for 'backseat modding' because I told someone to either contribute or leave the thread.
    +1000. And as I've said earlier just scrap the whole middle management schoolyard "cards" entirely. Just smacks of overbearing over moderated nonsense at this stage, especially if we're trying to bring in new people. Maybe there are forums where this works and OK, but for the rest of the site? It just winds people up.

TBH I've issued vanishingly few of these cards, can't recall the last time I issued one and I'll never issue another.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

TBH the site itself is quite sad. They have 50 users and when they aren't bitching about boards or personalities on boards they are posting populist racist tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Sounds like an ungulate with character!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Wibbs wrote: »
    TBH I've issued vanishingly few of these cards, can't recall the last time I issued one and I'll never issue another.

^ sounds like a challenge..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1000. And as I've said earlier just scrap the whole middle management schoolyard "cards" entirely. Just smacks of overbearing over moderated nonsense at this stage, especially if we're trying to bring in new people. Maybe there are forums where this works and OK, but for the rest of the site? It just winds people up.

Totally, I have three for odd reasons. They just hang there in your profile like mouse turds, never to lapse. I don't have that issue day to day, in my life, it is unique to this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

And therein lies the problem with users

Who's going to use something that's hassle/effort

It's why I do use reddit on the phone...or that site that can't be mentioned (rhymes with a marine vessel)

That new site showed up one day on my phone and I just wouldn't use it tbh..as if it's hassle...why would ya bother

I'm in doubt it would last (most likely prosper) without me...tbf it's pure shtie I talk on it

Your inbox is full.Maybe that's how you like it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Amalgam wrote: »
    Totally, I have three for odd reasons. They just hang there in your profile like mouse turds, never to lapse. I don't have that issue day to day, in my life, it is unique to this site.
    I can see why they were introduced. Ironically as a way to increase transparency in moderation something a fair number of us, inc myself campaigned for. And they seemed like a good idea at the time and were for a time and I was behind them at the time, but IMH they have well served their purpose and now cause more crap than they're worth. They're "too easy" to issue from the mod side and help keep a record, but on the other side of things they're at best an irritant, at worst and more usually a red rag to a bull.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Your inbox is full.Maybe that's how you like it?

Haha...thanks for head up

That's another problem...,too small an inbox for PMs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement