Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is becoming a Ghost Town

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH the site itself is quite sad. They have 50 users and when they aren't bitching about boards or personalities on boards they are posting populist racist tripe.
    Yeah, it's pathetic.

The go on about how it's not about the doxxing, it's not about boards, it's really about being able to discuss stuff without the liberal-fascist moderation, the SJWs, the 'cucks', or whatever bullsh*t terminology they use.

Yet, now that they're 'free' from evil boards and can chat about whatever they want, they have nothing to say to each other.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

osarusan wrote: »
    The go on about how it's not about the doxxing, it's not about boards, it's really about being able to discuss stuff without the liberal-fascist moderation, the SJWs, the 'cucks', or whatever bullsh*t terminology they use.

Yet, now that they're 'free' from evil boards and can chat about whatever they want, they have nothing to say to each other.
    And as far as I'm concerned so long as they're not doxxing people(and from what I gather from your post they've stopped that? Grand if so), or otherwise affecting innocent bystanders, then leave them, or reddit, or facebook or whoever to it. The interwebs is a huge place, there are places for all and sundry and there are plenty of places that suit everybody and nobody. Fine by me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Wibbs wrote: »
    And as far as I'm concerned so long as they're not doxxing people(and from what I gather from your post they've stopped that? Grand if so), or otherwise affecting innocent bystanders, then leave them, or reddit, or facebook or whoever to it. The interwebs is a huge place, there are places for all and sundry and there are plenty of places that suit everybody and nobody. Fine by me.

So long as there not doxxing I do think that boards shouldn't try unmask them either

Let them away...what harm are they doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just regarding the hotties in the crowd thread in soccer, I locked it because there's no actual crowds at the tournament to get pictures from yet and also because it had pretty much already started to cause a bit of friction. There was no intention of heavy handedness on my part, I even made a crap joke abut nipples.

Copa America is starting tomorrow so I'll probably re-open it later tonight with a no chat rule and no quoting pics rule in place, that way folks can just enjoy the scenery.

Honestly if people had issue with the thread being locked wouldn't it have been better to just PM me and explain to me why they felt I shouldn't have locked it rather than running off to a forum I'm very unlikely to even read (it's pure fluke i even saw the above posts) to use it as an example of "mods vs users" mentality or whatever. It's hardly surprising that mentality exists when they don't even bother to talk to the actual mods they have such an issue with. It's a two way street imo.

Why a 'no chat rule' though? Just dont get that. It's a discussion forum and thats half the craic?

The above being said, I can see how a thread like that would upset some.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So long as there not doxxing I do think that boards shouldn't try unmask them either

Let them away...what harm are they doing.
    Aye, so long as nobody is directly impinging on others, then as you say let them away.

So they're critical of the place? Fine TBH. Maybe it's a personal adaptation down to being someone who generally divides opinion :D online or off TBH. For every person that might say "Ah yer man, I like him, he's grand", there's another who will come along as night follows day to say "Him? A complete and utter well practiced onanist, if ever I knew one. And here's why". I have found the latter often more worth listening to, as beyond the noise their signal may well contain a point(and the pricks usually have better referenced material). Boards may yet have to navigate that potential discomfort. Or is as we speak.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

They like you, Wibbs! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Esel wrote: »

Ha was just about to say that's why Wibbs wants to leave them be, they're big fans of his :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

K-9 wrote: »
    But that's useless really, which was my original point.

Whether I'm K-9 or User123456 isn't that important, what matters is the views, opinions and details in my posts.

Take a re-reg now, other posters often spot them because of turns of phrases, spelling, views etc. Somebody who wants to trawl through previous threads will be able to spot who user123456 is.

So, I'm wondering what's the advantage of basically giving my posts a different name?

If you re-reg for whatever reason, and then get ID'd by users who bother to know/go through your old account's posts because of your posting style - who is supposed to babysit you through this? How can you be protected from yourself?

I've posted in this thread already. I do miss the more community-centric thing that we had back in the day. But - the cost is €0 to €5 per month. And it's still an excellent site.

It's great that this is active in Feedback, but some (many recent) of the complaints are ridiculous.

Can we still keep the Mustard forum though! ? :p

ORLY? TBH I'd be lying like a bastard if I said that was not gratifying to hear, but as I said
    For every person that might say "Ah yer man, I like him, he's grand", there's another who will come along as night follows day to say "Him? A complete and utter well practiced onanist, if ever I knew one. And here's why"

So give it time E. And when it happens, that dude or dudess is likely the one way more close to the truth. :D Meh, I figure so long as my "enemies" are quality I'm happy out. There are folks on Boards who can't abide me and would sometimes make that clear and do so in a pretty damning for me way and I might think them **** as a reflex, but a fair number I respect out of it TBH. And truthfully I'd hate to be universally liked nearly as much as universally hated. Always divide opinion is my motto. I'm happy enough to be the million monkeys on typewriters mostly coming up with HBBDSFHFYTFA$%£$5HH, ever occasionally "Bananas!!!" and ever even more rarely "To be or not to be, that is the question".

Never be Meh(™). That's what this community must avoid at all costs. I hate Boards.ie/I love Boards.ie = grand. Who gives a toss about Boards.ie = Game Over. And lately… and TBH sad to say…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Xaracatz wrote: »
    Can we still keep the Mustard forum though! ? :p

Did you know: The name, mustard, comes from the Latin words “mustum ardens”, which means “burning wine” and refers to the flavor created by the spicy heat of the crushed mustard seeds mixed with the juice of unfermented wine grapes.

[Mustard facts]

[click to subscribe]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Never be Meh(™). That's what this community must avoid at all costs. I hate Boards.ie/I love Boards.ie = grand. Who gives a toss about Boards.ie = Game Over. And lately… and TBH sad to say…

Some of the wording attributed to Dav is corrosive though, if that kind of internal dialogue, continues to make its way to the outside, it'll do far more damage to the site's standing than any doxxing or obnoxious banter.

People will start to think it's not worth being here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You see I am definitely migrating to the "Who gives a toss" camp at the moment.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Why a 'no chat rule' though? Just dont get that. It's a discussion forum and thats half the craic?

The above being said, I can see how a thread like that would upset some.
    Because the last time a similar thread was started, in the 2014 World Cup, chat was allowed. That resulted in the usual tit for tat between supporters of different clubs that plagues the Soccer Forum. Hence part way through the tournament chat was stopped and the problems ceased

So the Mods are using their experience to head of the sort of issues they know such threads can create if chat is allowed

Now there is currently a Feedback thread within the Soccer Forum where it would be much more appropriate to discuss this specific issue (although last time I looked it had not even been mentioned)

I dunno A. It might, or it might not. It is how Boards adapts; the "office" the mods, the folks on the ground, the actual creators of this community react and make a better community to have an oul natter in. That's what we all need to get back to IMH. Having an oul natter. The basic and well considered "don't be a dick", but otherwise let's have that natter. Dial back on the David Brent guff, moderate in the real definition of the word if that's the role you have and let folks talk whatever shíte they want to talk. And y'know A(and you do), if we look at the vast majority of the specialty forums on here, that what we see. Folks talking shíte about their shíte and putting the world to rights doing so. :D I think places like AH and Politics, the "big" and "general" forums take away from the other forums where people are just generally having a chat. It's too easy to forget that sometimes. I mean the farming and forestry forum is feckin huuuwage around here. Feckin culchies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

My subscribed forums see less and less posts as the weeks roll on and any sense of community that was previously witnessed on the site has been relegated to proved forums. Maybe this is just my perception, but because it's what I perceive, it means I care less and less about the broad picture because it doesn't offer that much to users any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The Farmer's forum is a model of what a community should be. That's why it's so popular.

(I'm not a farmer)

It's one of the few places on here that remains free from needless meddling, which also helps.

And yet you're still very much engaged G. I can spot when someone is trying to get their ex back after they've changed. :D Ah no, y'know what I mean and I have huge respect for you and actually like you. Times change G and Boards must change with them, the problem I see is they aren't of late. They're changing, but not in the way required.
    Beasty wrote: »
    Because the last time a similar thread was started, in the 2014 World Cup, chat was allowed. That resulted in the usual tit for tat between supporters of different clubs that plagues the Soccer Forum. Hence part way through the tournament chat was stopped and the problems ceased

So the Mods are using their experience to head of the sort of issues they know such threads can create if chat is allowed

Now there is currently a Feedback thread within the Soccer Forum where it would be much more appropriate to discuss this specific issue (although last time I looked it had not even been mentioned)
    Genuine question B. Were the problems more for the mods, or for the members? Mea culpa, I don't know so… but I have seen on occasion "problems" that were moderator based but not necessarily member based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Amalgam wrote: »
    Did you know: The name, mustard, comes from the Latin words “mustum ardens”, which means “burning wine” and refers to the flavor created by the spicy heat of the crushed mustard seeds mixed with the juice of unfermented wine grapes.

[Mustard facts]

[click to subscribe]

I did not know that. You should post this in the Mustard forum.

#LearnSomethingNewPossiblyFakeEveryDay

See - this is how AH once was.. I do agree that there has been over-zealous moderation in there, and too much of a shut down on messing threads. There's a reason the Legends' sticky had its last post three years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Beasty wrote: »

My experience is that if you use profanities towards an individual - or step out of line on the soccer forum more generally - you will be very quickly carded. Dont understand how that doesnt apply here but I digress. Carry on.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Genuine question B. Were the problems more for the mods, or for the members? Mea culpa, I don't know so… but I have seen on occasion "problems" that were moderator based but not necessarily member based.
    I rarely post in the Soccer Form, despite being a Season Ticket Holder at Man United. The reason I don't post is basically we see United and Liverpool fans at each others throats all the time and I simply don't want to get involved

Even in what may be considered "neutral" events like the World Cup they still do it. Whether it's finding something to have a dig at Suarez, or posting "hottie" pictures of Rooney, the temptation remains to have a dig and for others to react in kind

The local mods have worked hard and ridded the forum of some of the worst offenders. There are still a few around who are a little more subtle in their trolling attempts but there remains a bit of an undercurrent in the forum that if not kept in check risk putting off fans of both these as well as other clubs from posting. Hence they introduced no chat rules to one or two threads to avoid escalation of issues (within what are in effect "neutral" threads - the danger is they end up being swamped by fans of these 2 clubs and p!ssing off those who support other clubs). As a result of improvements we've seen over the past year or so I've actually been tempted to dip my own toes back into the forum on occasions.

Yes it makes modding easier, but also it has reduced the number of posters getting themselves into trouble - despite current appearances the DRF has been remarkably quiet in terms of Soccer disputes over the past 12 months. That may partly be down to a general decline in traffic, but that reduction in disputes was apparent a year ago before the site's recent issues which may have contributed to that decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

And yet you're still very much engaged G. I can spot when someone is trying to get their ex back after they've changed. :D Ah no, y'know what I mean and I have huge respect for you and actually like you. Times change G and Boards must change with them, the problem I see is they aren't of late. They're changing, but not in the way required.

Yeah I am engaged but not to the extent I would have been in the past. TBH these days I use boards to get quick answers whereas in the past I would have partaken in more in depth discussions. Part of that is having less time because of family life and part is because boards doesn't engage me as much as it did in the past.

I am unhappy with the direction the site appears to be navigated towards by the management. In fact I am not even sure there is an actual direction. With the Gearbest scenario the sites ethics and soul are even up for sale it seems.

I have made some really good friends on this site. I've got pissed with a number, gone to meet some overseas, had drunken meals with others, spent weekends away with groups of them, some went to my wedding, I went to others weddings and unfortunately I attended the funeral of one last year. Boards has opened me up to meeting people who in the normal run of things I never would have engaged with and my life has been richer as a result. This community that has given me so much is now under threat and the biggest threat imho is the actual management of the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I think its improving content wise, post hack.

Every second post isn't Airsoft related :D and theres less bs posts

That GeeBest volte-face is seriously egregious. Dav must be spitting blood.

Not your ornery onager

Yeah I am engaged but not to the extent I would have been in the past. TBH these days I use boards to get quick answers whereas in the past I would have partaken in more in depth discussions. Part of that is having less time because of family life and part is because boards doesn't engage me as much as it did in the past.

I am unhappy with the direction the site appears to be navigated towards by the management. In fact I am not even sure there is an actual direction. With the Gearbest scenario the sites ethics and soul are even up for sale it seems.

I have made some really good friends on this site. I've got pissed with a number, gone to meet some overseas, had drunken meals with others, spent weekends away with groups of them, some went to my wedding, I went to others weddings and unfortunately I attended the funeral of one last year. Boards has opened me up to meeting people who in the normal run of things I never would have engaged with and my life has been richer as a result. This community that has given me so much is now under threat and the biggest threat imho is the actual management of the site.

This. Exactly this. Quoted in full for emphasis.
    That GeeBest volte-face is seriously egregious. Dav must be spitting blood.

He's conspicuous by his absence. No one can doubt his love for this place, he's expressed same in very strong terms, many times.

But, he's not here is he?

He's conspicuous by his absence. No one can doubt his love for this place, he's expressed same in very strong terms, many times.

But, he's not here is he?
    It's hard to talk coherently when you are spitting blood.

Not your ornery onager

It's hard to talk coherently when you are spitting blood.

Hehe!

If he is though. We're attaching commendable notions to the chap that he has yet to reveal in this, or the GB thread.

I don't think anyone expects the man to jeopardise his job, but he needs to show a public face on these concerns in my view, whether he deems us worthy or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

I also think that a bit more sense in the handling of trolls wouldn't go amiss. I saw today a guy get infracted for calling the poster of a clear trollish comment an idiot. Presumably this comment was reported by the troll. The proper response should be "stop trolling, troll".

Sorry, don't agree.

If the user is trolling, just report them. If it is genuine trolling a mod will/should deal with them.

Calling out users thought to be trolls just leads to an argument on thread and inevitably derails it.

Backseat modding has to be one of the most annoying things on the site.

Cathy.C wrote: »
    Sorry, don't agree.

If the user is trolling, just report them. If it is genuine trolling a mod will/should deal with them.

Calling out users thought to be trolls just leads to an argument on thread and inevitably derails it.

You can effectively call someone a troll without using the word...

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Cathy.C wrote: »
    Sorry, don't agree.

Backseat modding almost never goes on. It's immediately banned.

And in fact it wasn't what I asked for. Troll makes trollish comment. Is called an idiot. Troll reports being called an idiot. The mod then looks and says "fair comment" and either does nothing or bans the troll.

In other words some ad hominems are valid.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

sometimes I feel theres hope for the Dispute Resolution forum, and that I wouldn't be afraid to avail of it, should the need arise.

and then sometimes...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement