Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is becoming a Ghost Town

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭polluxspiky

An File wrote: »
    I thank a few posts that I agree with (sometimes because they highlight the utter stupidity or dishonesty of another poster and save me the bother of having to point it out myself) and I don't thank some others. That's my choice.
    It would be nice to know what the Thanks button is actually for when we now have a queue of boards.ie moderators absolutely insistent that it signifies precisely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,773 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Is there any phrase on the internet that more loudly signals "I can't make a cogent argument" than "conspiracy theory"?

I can make a cogent argument where and when necessary.

In the last few posts, there was no cogent argument, only spurious, unfounded accusations of bias, ironically offering selection bias as evidence of argument.

I can make a cogent argument where and when necessary.

In the last few posts, there was no cogent argument, only spurious, unfounded accusations of bias, ironically offering selection bias as evidence of argument.
    I can say the same about your "argument". So I will if you don't mind.
    Besides, we do have evidence. Dav's leaked posts in the mod forum.
    What have you got? Nada right?

I can say the same about your "argument". So I will if you don't mind.
    Besides, we do have evidence. Dav's leaked posts in the mod forum.
    What have you got? Nada right?

Erm, given that I can't make head nor tails of your post, I'm going to have to concede you have me beat.

Erm, given that I can't make head nor tails of your post, I'm going to have to concede you have me beat.
    Let's see how many other people have difficulty understanding such a simple post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

I see posts in this thread are being deleted, especially posts that question the honesty of the establishment.

Good job lads, a great way to shut down debate you don't agree with. Top class moderation.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Deank wrote: »
    I see posts in this thread are being deleted, especially posts that question the honesty of the establishment.

Good job lads, a great way to shut down debate you don't agree with. Top class moderation.

You mean the post that calls one of our mods a prick? After checking with the mod in question it turns out that it was a joke between the poster and the mod, who are friends outside of Boards. It was removed to avoid giving people the impression that personal abuse is acceptable. And obviously your post quoting it was also removed. The only other post I can see deleted in the last 100 or so posts was deleted by the person who posted it.

Zaph wrote: »
    You mean the post that calls one of our mods a prick? After checking with the mod in question it turns out that it was a joke between the poster and the mod, who are friends outside of Boards. It was removed to avoid giving people the impression that personal abuse is acceptable. And obviously your post quoting it was also removed. The only other post I can see deleted in the last 100 or so posts was deleted by the person who posted it.

I jokingly called him an "honest prick" no malice in it at all.

Sure dress it up whatever way you want.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I jokingly called him an "honest prick" no malice in it at all.

Sure dress it up whatever way you want.

I never said there was malice in it. If I had thought there was malice in either post I wouldn't have checked with the mod first before handing out cards or bans for personal abuse. Your post was removed simply because the post it quoted had been removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I was called a prick by someone I know from outside boards, Zaph PMed me about it and I said it was a joke but best remove it as others may think it's acceptable otherwise, Zaph agreed. Not much point in leaving your post quoting it with the original removed. Surely you understand that?

I am a prîck though.

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I was called a prick by someone I know from outside boards, Zaph PMed me about it and I said it was a joke but best remove it as others may think it's acceptable otherwise, Zaph agreed. Not much point in leaving your post quoting it with the original removed. Surely you understand that?

I am a prîck though.

I get it alright.

And at least you're an honest prick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

BMMachine wrote: »
    heres an interesting one. On the page for Gearbest, there are three posts criticising boards' decision and policy - heavily thanks. Interesting to note that out of all the 'thanks' there was only one mod who thanked any of the posts.
    close ranks, know where your bread is buttered. This is just another example I believe of mod culture and how self contained it is. I'm sure I'll be told how there is nothing in that but everything stacks up. If they want to change the perceived image, like Dav said, then they have to make actual changes and destroy this moderating culture which is rife on the site

s3q.jpg

You not read the thread next door?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Is there any phrase on the internet that more loudly signals "I can't make a cogent argument" than "conspiracy theory"?

Utter bollix I'd say.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

And at least you're an honest prick :)

Unlike some I could mention.

DeadHand wrote: »
    Unlike some I could mention.

That was the point I was trying to make with my original post ;)

K-9 wrote: »
    Utter bollix I'd say.
    So every time somebody says "conspiracy theory" you say "utter bollix"? OK.
    Glad we're getting a ****ting pointer here from the mods on the level of ****ing debate expected bastarding anyways.

Zaph wrote: »
    You mean the post that calls one of our mods a prick?
    How about this one?
    And it's that sort of precious attitude and conspiracy theory nonsense is the reason why some posters points simply aren't taken seriously. It's supposed to be feedback, constructive feedback, not a thread for what you so aptly describe as utter bollocks.
    So, is this guy inside or outside the circle?
    Guess we'll find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

What's happening with the country ? pricks everywhere. I'd suggest a lot of folk here get out and enjoy the sun or go to the beach to rub the steam from the brow. How you folk can sit in and blab sh!te all week on this thread just boggles the mind.

No wonder boards is becoming a ghost town, it's because you are all here moaning when you should be creating threads to satisfy my personal needs. Cheer up there folks.

So every time somebody says "conspiracy theory" you say "utter bollix"? OK.
    Glad we're getting a ****ting pointer here from the mods on the level of ****ing debate expected bastarding anyways.

Whoosh.

Whoosh.
    "Whoosh"? That's up there with "conspiracy theory" as about as close as you can get on the internet to admitting you've lost the argument.
    Utter bollix indeed.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, why the rage? Why so angry over an Internet site?

My post went over your head. If you read back you might get the point.

How about this one?
    So, is this guy inside or outside the circle?
    Guess we'll find out.

Hey, I conceded defeat earlier, why are you bringing me back into your argument?

And as for your "is this guy inside or outside the circle", you have yet to provide any evidence of the existence of a circle. Otherwise we're just going around in... circles?

That's not looking like a wild conspiracy theory at all though, it has all the hallmarks of a well thought out cogent argument of course... ehh, right? :confused:

Jaysus, why the rage? Why so angry over an Internet site?
    Is this your moment of self-relfection there with your "Utter bollix" or are you talking to someone else? Bit of a foul mouthed bile filled ball of angst yourself. You should be a moderator or something.

And as for your "is this guy inside or outside the circle", you have yet to provide any evidence of the existence of a circle. Otherwise we're just going around in... circles?
    Huh? People who are mods or thank mods don't get deleted. People who disagree with mods get deleted. There's your evidence right there.
    Try this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057603014
    Posters and mods in a perplexingly coincidental groupthink.

Huh? People who are mods or thank mods don't get deleted. People who disagree with mods get deleted. There's your evidence right there.
    Try this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057603014
    Posters and mods in a perplexingly coincidental groupthink.

This is becoming even more bizarre. I'm not sure at all why you made a point about mods and posters thanking posts, and then linked to a thread in the Prison forum where nobody can thank posts, as an example of perplexing poster and mod group think?

That is perplexing, but if it's any help to alleviate your confusion, I'm not a member of any perceived circle.

I would say that though, wouldn't I? Ties in nicely with your "not a conspiracy theory".

This is becoming even more bizarre. I'm not sure at all why you made a point about mods and posters thanking posts, and then linked to a thread in the Prison forum where nobody can thank posts, as an example of perplexing poster and mod group think?
    So leaving aside that those two things most certainly are connected and you are (I hope) just pretending to be incapable of understanding the link, I notice you have once again failed to actually address the substance of either of these facts that you are now claiming are separate issues.
    And your original abusive post is still there I see. I suppose abusive posts from mods and certain posters being immune to moderation isn't indicative of anything either.
    Typical online obfuscation blather. Nothing is connected to anything. Where's the photographic evidence. I've called it meme X so I can pretend I don't have to answer anything.

So leaving aside that those two things most certainly are connected and you are (I hope) just pretending to be incapable of understanding the link, I notice you have once again failed to actually address the substance of either of these facts that you are now claiming are separate issues.
    And your original abusive post is still there I see. I suppose abusive posts from mods and certain posters being immune to moderation isn't indicative of anything either.
    Typical online obfuscation blather. Nothing is connected to anything. Where's the photographic evidence. I've called it meme X so I can pretend I don't have to answer anything.

What facts? I'm being civil here in the hope that I'm not being trolled, but you have yet to present any credible evidence for your assumptions that you claim are facts! Instead all you seem to be doing is throwing together a whole load of stuff and hoping I'll connect the dots.

I can't, I'm sorry but I just can't see what you're seeing with over 500 mods and 700,000 registered posters across over 800 forums on the site.

My post wasn't abusive, nor was it intended to be abusive. I was pointing out that it's difficult to take some posters seriously when they resort to petty nonsense like critiquing a porsters use of language, after that poster themselves just straight out insinuated the poster must be lying.

What purpose does that serve?

What facts?
    Your abusive posts that mods thank. Abusive posts from mods that you thank.
    Now you'll pretend there no link and we need HD video of everything or it's a "conspiracy theory". Yeah, I get it.
    The boards meet up topic is indeed revealing reading. If you want to know who's immune from moderation for clear and undeniable abuse it's easy to make a list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Your abusive posts that mods thank. Abusive posts from mods that you thank.
    Now you'll pretend there no link and we need HD video of everything or it's a "conspiracy theory". Yeah, I get it.
    The boards meet up topic is indeed revealing reading. If you want to know who's immune from moderation for clear and undeniable abuse it's easy to make a list.

I think you should review your prescription or up you meds, they don't seem to be working.

• Advertisement

Not only do I not have any idea what a tracker mortgage is, I don't have a clue what the last couple of pages are about either.

Something something conspiracy-thankers-inside-circles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement