Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to defend yourself in Dublin?

Options
  • 03-05-2016 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

So I haven't lived in Dublin long, and only recently have had to be out till pretty late and pretty often. My perception of the city has drastically changed to be honest. What you see at night is totally different from what you see at day. The streets get flooded with gangs drunk or drugged up out of their minds, looking for trouble, everywhere you go. Even all around the city center too. And they aren't afraid to get in your face at the first opportunity. I've had a number of close calls already just completely minding my own business.

And to add to that, police are almost nowhere to be seen. There's plenty of gangs in other big cities too of course, but at least police presence somewhat keeps them in check. Dublin if fairly defenseless.

And despite all that...from what I read pretty much all self-defense methods that involve a weapon of some kind are illegal? Even pepper spray? How in the world are you supposed to defend yourself then? If you have a job that requires you to be out late and not always at places you want to be....there is hardly any police, and you can't protect yourself...what are you supposed to do? Wait to get gang-smashed?

Any tips from locals? Surely 'just avoid dangerous places' isn't all there is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

The best defence is to avoid confrontation in any way possible and if that fails run away. The problem with self defence is a little bit of training makes people think they can fend off anyone and that is often more dangerous than knowing nothing at all.

I lived in D1 for the last few years and had any hassle myself and never even seen anyone getting anything that bad. Hopefully you'll just be able to avoid it and not have to worry about what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

The_Brood wrote: »
    So I haven't lived in Dublin long, and only recently have had to be out till pretty late and pretty often. My perception of the city has drastically changed to be honest. What you see at night is totally different from what you s........

I agree it seems that if you are attacked the cop will come on after and try reallly hard to find a nd convict the person that beat the crap out you. And I don't mean kind of try they will really really try and as far as everyone is concerned that is good enough.

On a practical level for yourself a healthy dose of paranoia is required, check corners dark areas and the route in front of you never make eye contact but look in their direction. if you think you are being approached reach into your pocket jacket as if you have something there. never reply to any anybody and keep moving. Obviously keep a healthy distance between you and groups of lads. keep an eye out behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You must be living in a different Dublin from me, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

OP which particular parts of the city are you experiencing this in, out of interest? I generally find that the worst you get on a regular basis in Dublin are drunken mobs of club-goers around closing time, and the worst they'll do to you is rope you into singing something with them if you happen to be walking past. That's in the city centre, I've spent a good amount of time hanging around Dolphin's Barn and Rialto at night and it's the opposite, the place is deathly quiet despite the reputation which precedes it. I wouldn't be as familiar with the North Inner City but I do have friends who live near Dorset St and Belvedere, and I'd have come and gone from parties there at night too without any hassle at all.

Either reports of Dublin's roughness are greatly exaggerated, or I'm just such a focking tank that the hard men of Dublin wisely scamper away and hide whenever they see me coming :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

AK47, when you absolutely, positively sh1t your pants on the streets of Dublin :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Time to go home The Brood. You clearly will never feel comfortable in a city like Dublin.

I've never, ever felt threatened and I'm pretty sure that's the case for most people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

kung fu, it's your only man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

There's a lot of truth in the idea that you may be inviting negative attention by being so hyper-aware of it, OP. Vibes, or whatever.

I went out with someone a few years ago who was just adamant that the city centre was a dangerous place. I have never in my life been followed by scumbags as much as when I was with him. There were a few random attacks (physical & verbal). He insisted I was just clueless and oblivious in my attitude to the city, and I believed him for a while. Never anything hugely serious or anything, but it got quite scary sometimes.

Then life moved on and I noticed that every other person I would walk the city with were *not* on guard and were *not* expecting trouble. I haven't had a single incident since. I'm always watchful, but not afraid. I cross roads, avoid dodgy looking people, but am otherwise relaxed. And since then I haven't been followed, haven't been attacked, and haven't been abused (verbally or otherwise).

I've engaged in some martial arts training- not enough to consider myself proficient if I ever needed it, but the first thing they taught us all was to run / avoid / do not engage trouble. Relax & soften, don't look for trouble and trouble won't look for you (...generally speaking).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

I've never given much though to the law when an issues actually arises.

Like some of the other posters have suggested try your best to avoid confrontation , don't make eye contact or stop if someone is clearly drunk , off their heads on something or homeless , generally if you ignore them your grand.

I'm 6"2 , well built and I've done a bit of boxing in the past, so id never be bothered with pepper spray or that , the few times anything has happened to me or my OH and I've been there, a few digs usually sorts the little scumbag out fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Most martial artists will tell you being fit enough to run away is always the best option. I mean if you strike someone, they fall backwards and die hitting their head off a curb you'll have a much harder time in court when you've to defend your position. They'll say because of your training that you understand how to cause serious harm and could have avoided it.

Dublin is not a very dangerous place to be. Statistically there's not much chance of you ever being hurt. Just pay attention, don't bury your head in a phone screen and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I walk the streets like a British squaddie in Ardoyne circa 1973.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »

Uniform and all?

Birneybau wrote: »
    Uniform and all?

Plus FN SLR (airsoft, of course).

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I've been assaulted a couple of times in Dublin - it happens occasionally. On one occasion I was pissed as a fart and obviously made a decent target for being mugged, another time I failed to extricate myself from a situation I should have and ended up giving a couple of junkies a few digs. I've lived in Dublin for the guts of 15 years. Before that I lived in a little town in Fife and had as many fights (two for the numerically challenged) in 3 years, so that makes Fife 5 times more dangerous! :pac: Dublin isn't dangerous, a bit rough and if you go about looking for trouble you'll find it.

In none of the above cases was a weapon used. That's partly down to it being illegal to even carry one and partly down to it being no need. It always makes me laugh when people think they'd be better off allowed to carry pepper spray, a baton, knife, gun, tactical air strike ability... anything you have is just as likely to be used on you. I'd prefer not to be walking around where the little scrotes have access to pepper spray thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Were not a police state. We let people celebrate and party to excess their are no fashion police or religious police or militias that patrol the streets. People come and go as they please. It is a sign of a peaceful society. It does however mean the criminal element comes out to roast in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Get yourself a minder, one of those hard looking fcukers from the former eastern block....very few will fcuk with you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I always found smaller cities/towns in Ireland much rougher than Dublin when it comes to late night activities. The lads love a good mill up after a few gargles. Dublin city is worse during the day, its easy to become numb to it whem youre from here, but every now and again you can get a reminder of how brazen some of the scum are out there.

I've been assaulted a couple of times in Dublin - it happens occasionally. On one occasion I was pissed as a fart and obviously made a decent target for being mugged, another time I failed to extricate myself from a situation I should have and ended up giving a couple of junkies a few digs. I've lived in Dublin for the guts of 15 years. Before that I lived in a little town in Fife and had as many fights (two for the numerically challenged) in 3 years, so that makes Fife 5 times more dangerous! :pac: Dublin isn't dangerous, a bit rough and if you go about looking for trouble you'll find it.

In none of the above cases was a weapon used. That's partly down to it being illegal to even carry one and partly down to it being no need. It always makes me laugh when people think they'd be better off allowed to carry pepper spray, a baton, knife, gun, tactical air strike ability... anything you have is just as likely to be used on you. I'd prefer not to be walking around where the little scrotes have access to pepper spray thanks.

Begbie?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lineker

Seemingly the biggest and worst thing you could have in Dublin is a cigerette, the amount of fag spongers in the capital is ridiculous, say no and they'll get aggressive towards you!!!

lineker wrote: »
    Seemingly the biggest and worst thing you could have in Dublin is a cigerette, the amount of fag spongers in the capital is ridiculous, say no and they'll get aggressive towards you!!!

Here's the cure for that, presuming you are stationary for the 'interview' -

Say:

"No problem, man
    Giz 50c, 'cos dat's what it cost me."

Never stand still for a late night interview.

Ignore anyone, late at night, asking you for the time / directions / a smoke. Keep walking, or start walking. Trot, run if you have to. Sprint even.

Do not engage. Do not be 'interviewed'. You will lose.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

My best advice for defending yourself is to blend in. That's why I always wear my cheap grey tracksuit all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Touching cloth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I never get trouble, but I am quite tall and big, so I guess I'm not an easy target.

Which means they are cowards.

Here's the cure for that, presuming you are stationary for the 'interview' -

Say:

"No problem, man
    Giz 50c, 'cos dat's what it cost me."

Never stand still for a late night interview.

Ignore anyone, late at night, asking you for the time / directions / a smoke. Keep walking, or start walking. Trot, run if you have to. Sprint even.

Do not engage. Do not be 'interviewed'. You will lose.

Just say you don't smoke, even if it's hanging out of your gob. Confuses the sh!t out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

Avoid confrontation, be aware of your surroundings, know where you are going, walk with a sense of purpose, don’t flaunt the bling/phone & don't be a hero, always better to walk away & fight another day, pick your battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I always found smaller cities/towns in Ireland much rougher than Dublin when it comes to late night activities. The lads love a good mill up after a few gargles. Dublin city is worse during the day, its easy to become numb to it whem youre from here, but every now and again you can get a reminder of how brazen some of the scum are out there.

Every town and city in the world with a concentration of licenced premises gets "flooded with gangs drunk or drugged up out of their minds, looking for trouble, everywhere you go"

Happens in Dublin, Galway, Westport, Carrick on Shannon, Achill Sound, Carraroe, Kilkenny, Barcelona, London, Santa Ponsa...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Jesus OP I feel sorry for you, it must be very stressful going and thinking everyone is out to get you.

It's very unhelpful though.
    If you treat everyone like they're a criminal then you're going to annoy people.

Some people out there do bad things, but they're human too and don't like to be made feel like a$$holes (even if they are). This is how you'll find yourself in trouble.

Be nice to everyone (regardless of what you might think looking at them) and that's what you'll get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Plus FN SLR (airsoft, of course).

L1A1 surely?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I also think OP might be a little too worried.

Still, here's my advice: Krav-maga. It will teach you how to not get into fights, how to run away from fights, basically everything you need to know about fights. (And also quite a lot about how to fight, but you dont want to go there.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

Oink wrote: »
    I also think OP might be a little too worried.

Still, here's my advice: Krav-maga. It will teach you how to not get into fights, how to run away from fights, basically everything you need to know about fights. (And also quite a lot about how to fight, but you dont want to go there.)
    Krav Maga is the Walter Mitty's martial art (sic)

Advertisement