Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out after first year

Options
  • 03-05-2016 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I'm just about to finish my first year in ucd. However I found out after this year that college is just not for me. I knew I never liked academia and never liked school yet their was this snobiness in my school and just among people my age that made me feel pressured to go to college. I'm about to take my exams for the end of the year. However I've decided that I don't want to go back next year. Any idea on how I go about this? Where do I go to in college? Do I email or do I have to go into the college itself? Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

I'm pretty sure you'll have to go in person and let them know at the Student Administration Office. They'll probably have a chat with you and give you the option of taking a leave of absence/deferral instead in case you change your mind.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ladyystardust

Yoop wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you'll have to go in person and let them know at the Student Administration Office. They'll probably have a chat with you and give you the option of taking a leave of absence/deferral instead in case you change your mind.

Best of luck :)

Thanks so much for your help! Any idea on how to bring it up to my parents? Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Have you anything in mind that you want to do instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thanks so much for your help! Any idea on how to bring it up to my parents? Lol

Begin by having your alternative plan thought out. They might not be happy with you doing something else. They definitely won't be happy with you dropping out to do nothing else.

Mary63 wrote: »
    Have you anything in mind that you want to do instead.

I always knew I was never the type of person for school/college. I always wanted to just get out and work instead. I'd probably look for a job and hopefully get a good one.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Begin by having your alternative plan thought out. They might not be happy with you doing something else. They definitely won't be happy with you dropping out to do nothing else.

I know that I want to work instead, it's always seemed more fulfilling instead of going to college. My parents never pressured me into college they always reminded me that I didn't have to go, because I knew for years I didn't want to go but suddenly felt like I had to go when I noticed the snobiness in my school if you didn't plan on going to college. However I'm still afraid of disappointing them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Are you working already or have a job lined up for summer?
    It could be tough finding a job without a qualification... and even tougher if you're not currently studying unless it's a very basic position.
    What are your career / inspirational ideas so? What's your passion? Like others have said, you need to have something to work towards.

Do you feel you can pass your exams?
    If so, be sure to do your best.
    You may wish to complete your studies in future years and this could really stand to you.

I left college after my 1st year also, but thankfully was working in a job during the summer and they asked me to stay on.
    Like you, I felt academia was not for me, however I'm currently reconsidering going back.

Best of luck!

Why don't you think about going abroad,what language did you study in school,this is a great opportunity to live and work somewhere else and become fluent in another language.

I am sure your parents only want you to be happy,I would have some plan in mind before you break the news to them though.

What were you studying in College.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Are you working already or have a job lined up for summer?
    It could be tough finding a job without a qualification... and even tougher if you're not currently studying unless it's a very basic position.
    What are your career / inspirational ideas so? What's your passion? Like others have said, you need to have something to work towards.

Do you feel you can pass your exams?
    If so, be sure to do your best.
    You may wish to complete your studies in future years and this could really stand to you.

I left college after my 1st year also, but thankfully was working in a job during the summer and they asked me to stay on.
    Like you, I felt academia was not for me, however I'm currently reconsidering going back.

Best of luck!

I occasionally do work although could have something more permenant during the summer. I've also applied for other jobs and waiting to hear back. I never really had a dream or a passion but I just always liked the idea of working, whether it was just a basic job and being independent. School/education always seemed to depress me, it put a lot of pressure on me and I wasn't really capable of dealing with it well. I always liked the idea of being an air hostess weirdly enough. I'm not too sure about passing my modules, the work is way out of my depth!
    Can I ask do you thinking dropping out helped you? I think I went straight into college without much though, I didn't do ty and I think I need a break from education. Even if I want to go back I think some time off to really think about what I want to do will help me

Why don't you think about going abroad,what language did you study in school,this is a great opportunity to live and work somewhere else and become fluent in another language.

I am sure your parents only want you to be happy,I would have some plan in mind before you break the news to them though.

What were you studying in College.

I think my parents would be waaaaay to nervous about letting me live abroad! 😂 I think they may be disappointed at first but ultimately want me to be happy I'm just nervous about mentioning it!
    I'm doing geography and history, they have a heavily work load

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Can I ask do you thinking dropping out helped you? I think I went straight into college without much though, I didn't do ty and I think I need a break from education. Even if I want to go back I think some time off to really think about what I want to do will help me

If I'm honest, i do regret it to some degree, however I'm just not sure I could finish it. I just couldn't apply myself at the time and certain parts of the course I just failed to grasp.
    College, however, was more development in life for me as opposed to academic learning! :D
    I was extremely lucky in that it was boom-time Ireland, so there were jobs aplenty for even the unqualified.
    I'm not sure I'd risk doing it these days as the jobs market is still very competitive.

For your own sanity, you'll need to throw yourself into the working world as best you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

I was always on the fence about going to uni, even until the night before moving out for it. I survived 4 years of it eventually but always maintained the view I can drop this path at any time & change direction with my old pairs full backing.
    Always had the plan of seeing the world & I'm glad to say I was one of the lucky ones in my class to do just that through work. 5 years on I've been everywhere with the job I do and then I went back for a year to upskill, sad to say that this year back in education has broken me & my once romantic view of academia, mostly because of the nasty politics academia has manifested itself with and I reckon it's time to change tack.
    My advise to everyone, only work to save for travelling & then decide what you want to do when you're out there on your way back.
    There's far too much unnecessary stress, anxiety and pressure these days to go to college straight after school.

If I was you I would head off,you could get an au pairing job first which means accommodation would be sorted.Now is the time to travel and spread your wings,just go for it.

If you become fluent in another language that will put you in a very good position for work opportunities.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    If I'm honest, i do regret it to some degree, however I'm just not sure I could finish it. I just couldn't apply myself at the time and certain parts of the course I just failed to grasp.
    College, however, was more development in life for me as opposed to academic learning! :D
    I was extremely lucky in that it was boom-time Ireland, so there were jobs aplenty for even the unqualified.
    I'm not sure I'd risk doing it these days as the jobs market is still very competitive.

For your own sanity, you'll need to throw yourself into the working world as best you can.

I think it would suit me to just get into the working world, I know people who haven't gone to college and have good jobs. I know this isn't the case for everyone but I feel like I am pretty determined to throw myself into the working world.
    I appreciate your help!

hytrogen wrote: »
    I was always on the fence about going to uni, even until the night before moving out for it. I survived 4 years of it eventually but always maintained the view I can drop this path at any time & change direction with my old pairs full backing.
    Always had the plan of seeing the world & I'm glad to say I was one of the lucky ones in my class to do just that through work. 5 years on I've been everywhere with the job I do and then I went back for a year to upskill, sad to say that this year back in education has broken me & my once romantic view of academia, mostly because of the nasty politics academia has manifested itself with and I reckon it's time to change tack.
    My advise to everyone, only work to save for travelling & then decide what you want to do when you're out there on your way back.
    There's far too much unnecessary stress, anxiety and pressure these days to go to college straight after school.

Thanks for this! I appreciate it!

If I was you I would head off,you could get an au pairing job first which means accommodation would be sorted.Now is the time to travel and spread your wings,just go for it.

If you become fluent in another language that will put you in a very good position for work opportunities.

This does sound really interesting! Any idea on how I go about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

Lady Stardust, if you apply to any of the ailines they will alert you to recruitment drives.
    I applied last year (even though at 29 I might be a bit old) and I get emails when they'll be coming to hotels in my area.
    If you're the type of girl who likes her appearance, I'd say even better!
    I have a friend who worked for Emirates for the last 6 years. Based in Dubai, she seemed to be constantly partying. Was eventually promoted to first class and made a lot of money, but says after a while it gets tiring and passengers can get a bit rowdy.
    So I'd say it's ok while you're young.

Alternatively you could try a TEFL course, and travel the world teaching English.

Lady Stardust, if you apply to any of the ailines they will alert you to recruitment drives.
    I applied last year (even though at 29 I might be a bit old) and I get emails when they'll be coming to hotels in my area.
    If you're the type of girl who likes her appearance, I'd say even better!
    I have a friend who worked for Emirates for the last 6 years. Based in Dubai, she seemed to be constantly partying. Was eventually promoted to first class and made a lot of money, but says after a while it gets tiring and passengers can get a bit rowdy.
    So I'd say it's ok while you're young.

Alternatively you could try a TEFL course, and travel the world teaching English.

Oh wow, thank you this is actually really helpful! Its always something that i've been interested in thank you so much for you input!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Hi OP, I was in the same boat, however I got a v good LC from an underachieving school. I went to college, and got through first year despite my best efforts at sabotage, but went off the rails completely in second year and didn't sit exams.

I was never diagnosed or anything, but I was severely depressed all the time in third level, simply due to fact I didn't want to be there but didn't want to let people down either.

I then went on and worked for a few years in a growing retail and wholesale business, reaching as far as I could go in the business, making a good living and working hard. I also gained an accountancy qualification by night and a cert in physics in the 6 years or so when working. I also managed to buy a house with my partner.

I am now 29 and have begun an apprenticeship in electrical instrumentation last year, and to be honest it was the best thing I have ever done, and I have finally found something that I am confident I will continue to work at.

If I can offer you any advice it would be to at least do your exams and try and pass them because it could offer you exemptions in courses you might want to do in future. Like me you probably don't like being a full time student, but you may want to do courses in future in your own time in future to better yourself.

Gaining a university degree is not the be all and end all, I'm sure most would agree. 90% of your success will be down to your work ethic and application. Doors will open for you but be prepared to work because they will be harder to open without a degree.

Also try and get a job that has the potential to go somewhere, don't just take something that will give you a wage every week and nothing else, because before you know it you will be stuck in a rut and it took be very hard to come out of it as life moves on. I have a few friends in this position who would be very intelligent working crap jobs picking orders and selling computer games in companies that will never offer them any more. Their ambition is gone and I dread to think where they will be in another ten years. It's such a waste because coming out of secondary school these lads had a lot to offer.

Don't dismiss education either, not all courses are simply academic, and can offer you lot personally and professionally.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, but be prepared to work.

eurokev wrote: »
    Hi OP, I was in the same boat, however I got a v good LC from an underachieving school. I went to college, and got through first year despite my best efforts at sabotage, but went off the rails completely in second year and didn't sit exams.

I was never diagnosed or anything, but I was severely depressed all the time in third level, simply due to fact I didn't want to be there but didn't want to let people down either.

I then went on and worked for a few years in a growing retail and wholesale business, reaching as far as I could go in the business, making a good living and working hard. I also gained an accountancy qualification by night and a cert in physics in the 6 years or so when working. I also managed to buy a house with my partner.

I am now 29 and have begun an apprenticeship in electrical instrumentation last year, and to be honest it was the best thing I have ever done, and I have finally found something that I am confident I will continue to work at.

If I can offer you any advice it would be to at least do your exams and try and pass them because it could offer you exemptions in courses you might want to do in future. Like me you probably don't like being a full time student, but you may want to do courses in future in your own time in future to better yourself.

Gaining a university degree is not the be all and end all, I'm sure most would agree. 90% of your success will be down to your work ethic and application. Doors will open for you but be prepared to work because they will be harder to open without a degree.

Also try and get a job that has the potential to go somewhere, don't just take something that will give you a wage every week and nothing else, because before you know it you will be stuck in a rut and it took be very hard to come out of it as life moves on. I have a few friends in this position who would be very intelligent working crap jobs picking orders and selling computer games in companies that will never offer them any more. Their ambition is gone and I dread to think where they will be in another ten years. It's such a waste because coming out of secondary school these lads had a lot to offer.

Don't dismiss education either, not all courses are simply academic, and can offer you lot personally and professionally.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, but be prepared to work.

Wow, thank you your story and opinion is very useful to me! I appreciate it! I will sit the exams and try my best but ultimately i don't think what im doing in college is right for me. I know someone who is about six or so years older than me and never went to college, however they began working in a pharmacy and went higher up and their workplace offered them to do a part time course to become a pharmacy technician. It's stories like that and yours that seem more suited to me, and probably what i'll end up doing. Hopefully to get a job that i can move up in. Thank you so much for your input

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I think if your heart is not in college then you should follow your heart and do what you need to do.

I also think you need to be realistic. for example if you want to be an air hostess, what are the requirements for this job. More than that..... If lots of people apply for these positions and there are many people who are all Perform equally at interviews..... Would they pick the people who have degrees?

This is the way the world is going. You need a degree to do nearly anything !!!

Also in relation to going abroad. You do not need your parents permission to do this. It is not a question of them letting you. Youre a free woman to do as you want!!

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Don't count out being an air hostess either if that's what you want. You can do it for few years, see the world, and gain desirable experience and skills that will lead to something else. I know a girl who managed to get a job with emirates and she's making an absolute fortune at it

Just be proactive when you are not in full time education. Something that will set you apart from other job seekers, whether that is some sort of volunteering or a relevant night course. And don't dismiss courses as I say. They are far more tolerable when they are in an area you enjoy and when they have a clear purpose. For me they became more like a hobby, plus you meet people in the industry that can advise you and tell you of opportunities (its how I got my job). The point about doing your exams this year is relevant because they could give you exemptions in courses you might want to do in future. You seem to be quite intelligent and have your head screwed on anyway so I'm sure you will be very successful and happy this time 5 years time. Good luck

eurokev wrote: »
    Don't count out being an air hostess either if that's what you want. You can do it for few years, see the world, and gain desirable experience and skills that will lead to something else. I know a girl who managed to get a job with emirates and she's making an absolute fortune at it

Just be proactive when you are not in full time education. Something that will set you apart from other job seekers, whether that is some sort of volunteering or a relevant night course. And don't dismiss courses as I say. They are far more tolerable when they are in an area you enjoy and when they have a clear purpose. For me they became more like a hobby, plus you meet people in the industry that can advise you and tell you of opportunities (its how I got my job). The point about doing your exams this year is relevant because they could give you exemptions in courses you might want to do in future. You seem to be quite intelligent and have your head screwed on anyway so I'm sure you will be very successful and happy this time 5 years time. Good luck

Thank you for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also it might be worth considering an apprenticeship. A lot on the media lately and some interesting ones in Insurance, Financial Services, Hospitality etc. Coming down the line.
    http://www.iii.ie/careers/Apprenticeships

Above is an example of one.

Advertisement