Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike for August ( apparantly it is flatpack )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Might get the trailer if it's a decent price!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That's a very reasonable price for a trailer, if it's any good.

Funny how the article says that back-pedal "breaks" eliminate the need for cables, when you can clearly see a cable for the front "break" in the diagram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I think that's the front brake lever. I like the design of it, it looks neat. It has no chain, it's belt driven, which is supposed to last for 15,000 km. I suppose the big question is are parts like brakes, wheels available anywhere or do you have to get them from IKEA.

f26eeaadd1978b1833749d3c52aba872
    d83c5c84bbd6adb317ef03c51efd9a07
    Ikea-fiets-juist.jpg

If you can't wait till August you can buy this flat pack biike for €800.

sandwichbike-packaging.jpg?w=470&h=434

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

You could always beat the wait and get a couple of stools from IKEA to build this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:60938

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Coming next from Scandanavia

6533951364946a57d2c77c629be2788e.jpg

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    I think that's the front brake lever.

Oh yeah, I just took from the quote that they were implying that the bike had no cables at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

They don't seem to be selling them in Ireland, but Ikea have a flat-pack bike. Belt drive rather than chain drive; I suppose this might make parts expensive.

https:// www .theguardian .com/ technology/2016/jul/02/ikea-sladda-bicycle-review-helen-pidd

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ikea have a policy of replacing any damaged or lost parts for free. I imagine they'll need to include a very big asterisk on this one, though they might offer belt replacement free. Very few of the people who buy one of these bikes will hit 15,000km before they decide they want a new bike instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I was curious to see the prices, it doesn't seem to be for sale yet in UK IKEAs either.

May fall between two stools - those who can build a bike will not be too concerned about "maintenance free drive belts" those who would benefit from the maintenance free aspects of the bike are unlikely to be confident about building it.

I wonder what the gearing is like?

€699 in France and Germany, so definitely better priced in sterling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Threads merged

Thanks, Cr-C.

Presumably this doesn't have gears, since it has no derailleur and has a step-back brake?

Chuchote wrote: »
    Thanks, Cr-C.

Presumably this doesn't have gears, since it has no derailleur and has a step-back brake?

Two gears, as far as I can tell are meant to flick up and down based on cadence:
    Two-speed automatic Sram Automatix gear hub

Meant to be a bit annoying for some but does the job

CramCycle wrote: »
    Two gears, as far as I can tell are meant to flick up and down based on cadence:
    Two-speed automatic Sram Automatix gear hub

Meant to be a bit annoying for some but does the job

Ack, a bit dim today; I did read that there were automatic gears, with the comment that these tend to get broken by bike mechanics who aren't familiar with them.

From the Guardian review:
    I liked the smooth, silent pedalling mechanism, but was less taken with the automatic gears, which change up and down with your cadence. There are just two settings, low and high, and I didn’t appreciate being unable to click down when I felt tired or lazy.

EDIT: too slow

I'd just like to put in a good word for Ikea instructions. Disparaged in that review and the comments, but I find them pretty clear.

Also in comments:
    The 2 speed automatic hub gear is by SRAM, so will be decent quality. Apparently I've read you can tweak the point at which it changes with some crafty mechanical skills.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I'd just like to put in a good word for Ikea instructions. Disparaged in that review and the comments, but I find them pretty clear.

Me too and I am an idiot in such regards.

• Advertisement

I see that this bike comes in two sizes. Being that it's Swedish, these probably equate to Giant and Giantess, cutting out little leprechauns like me.

Flatpacks: strangely, the clip from The Wire where Dominic West's character tries to put together a pair of bunk beds from Ikea with the help of despair and a bottle of whiskey seems to disappear instantly every time someone puts it online.

Flatpacks: strangely, the clip from The Wire where Dominic West's character tries to put together a pair of bunk beds from Ikea with the help of despair and a bottle of whiskey seems to disappear instantly every time someone puts it online.

The likes of HBO are understandably quite vigilant of their property and would have markers up (or fingerprints) of most of their high value properties. Youtube automatically scans alot of videos for these markers and automatically pulls them down. Other companies let it slide as they see free advertising for what it is.

Ah, but it's only this one that disappears. It's up again (briefly, no doubt):

https:// www. youtube.com/watch?v=oRRHb2WphWs

Ah, but it's only this one that disappears. It's up again (briefly, no doubt):

I have done similar with a dynamo hub and beers, the hub went on fire at one point. Don't drink and do DIY was my well learned lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I was in Ikea on Sunday and saw this is for sale here now. € 449 at the moment for Ikea Family members. It's heavy enough (15kg) but was nice to sit on - they have two display models sitting on turbo trainer thingies near the tils. Wonder if they do CTW!?
    sladda-bicycle-grey__0441558_pe593438_s4.jpg
    25-year guarantee on the frame and 10-year guarantee on the belt drive. Read about the terms in the guarantee brochure.
    The bike has a rust- and oil-free belt drive, automatic gears and a clever click-in system for accessories such as front and back racks, and a bike bag that can be transformed into a backpack. There is also a practical SLADDA trailer developed to solve heavy transportation needs, as well as helmets, a U-lock and pump.
    Trailer € 160, Front or Rear Rack € 25, Pannier Bag € 30. They're all "Family" prices, but sure the card is free to pick up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some friends of mine were speculating whether ikea were going to get involved in the faff surrounding providing invoices, etc.

i've found some of ikea's systems - primarily their stock control system - to be quite poor, so i wonder how they'd cope with what would probably be considered non-standard requests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

g0g wrote: »
    I was in Ikea on Sunday and saw this is for sale here now. € 449 at the moment for Ikea Family members. It's heavy enough (15kg) but was nice to sit on - they have two display models sitting on turbo trainer thingies near the tils. Wonder if they do CTW!?...

I saw that a while back. I though it was decent. But only for shorter commuting, local trips. I think on a longer commuter you'd want something lighter and faster, more gears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

You can sit on and test them in the Ballymun store. They are quite nice to look at but i found them heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Heavy is ok for short runs. its more stable for less experience cyclists.

I think it would be an ideal pop to the local shops kinda bike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement