Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary promotions

Options
  • 03-05-2016 5:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,
    I'm just looking for some direction here.
    Can anybody tell me where I can find laws concerning temporary work promotions and how long someone can be left in a role before the promotion has to be made permanent?
    I'd like to check out where I stand to see if it's worth seeing a solicitor.
    Would appreciate any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

A.mechanic wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Can anybody tell me where I can find laws concerning temporary work promotions and how long someone can be left in a role before the promotion has to be made permanent?

there is no standard law governing this.

it would be covered under contract, psychological contract etc but without more info i cant advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd be shocked if you find anything concrete on this.

It's usually agreed when someone starts acting up just how long it will last and the conditions attached. If it goes beyond the agreed time then a new agreement should be made or the old one amended.

If you feel your being taken advantage of then maybe ask to sit down with your manager and discuss it. I wouldn't be going to a solicitor until you try and resolve the problem in-house first.

Try and get some agreement in writing rather than just verbal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 A.mechanic

Hi guys
    Thanks for you're inputs.
    I would have thought there would have been some kind of grandfather rights for situations like this where a guy that steps up to cover a guy "temporarily" for a year or two, should pretty much get the job when the permanent position comes up.
    But ah well .....lesson learned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

There is legislation about people who are in contract posts for (I think) 4 years being entitled to a permanent post. I'm not sure if that would apply to this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A.mechanic wrote: »
    Hi all,

Somewhat depends on the time you are performing the role.

I remember being provided a promotion that was at first indicated as temporary, then confirmed as being permanent, and after I'd completed a pretty flawless probationary period in the role and pushed for a new contract outlining specifics, I was advised it was temporary and I'd have to return to my previous post.

I read between the lines that while they knew I wasn't being challenged in my role and wanted to move up, I was so good at what I was doing they wanted to keep me there. After the disappointing news started the job hunt and was gone within a month.

I typically wouldn't be one to go down the legal route as it can be more hassle then its worth, but when I did sound it out(this is about five years ago) it was indicated that I'd done as much as possible regarding pushing for a new contract etc., and there wasn't much legal framework for this scenario. Might be different now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement