Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

27" 144Hz 1440p monitor

Options
  • 03-05-2016 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a new pc. I'm mostly settled on parts (I'm UK based and most likely buying a custom rig from Scan). I'm struggling with the monitor though. I'm coming from an old 26" 1920x1200 Samsung T260 which research showed me was a TN panel.

I'm now looking for a 27" 144Hz and a move up to 1440p and I was looking for G-sync/Freesync. For build I was leaning towards Nvidia this time (thinking 980 or 980Ti). I've had AMD for the last 2/3 builds.

The main contenders are the Acer XB271HU and Asus PQ279Q. However I'm reading a lot of issues with dead pixels/back light bleed of various degrees on the IPS panels. Then there is the Asus PQ278Q in the TN form which is cheaper and seems solid.

Any recommendations? If the Freesync equivalents were better quality wise I could consider a switch back to AMD and perhaps get a Nano?

These are the most expensive options also is there anything in the midrange that I could be looking at instead?

Thanks,

Woden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Currently using the Asus PG279Q. It's an excellent monitor, but I don't know if I'd throw this much at it again. Then again, I'm currently gimping the monitor with a 700 series graphics card so I can't go above 120Hz. I say stick with AMD and FreeSync. The G-Sync isn't worth the 200euro premium unless you get a good deal.

A note on the quality. I either got lucky, or people are too quick to look for flaws. I noticed quite a bit of IPS glow (easy to mistake for backlight bleed) when I first got the monitor, but after using the TFTCentral calibrated settings (which decrease the brightness down to somewhere in the 30% range I think) it was hard to find any. I think it also gets better with age. There is a defect with ULMB whereby the monitor needs to be turned off and on again in order to activate the backlight, but it's not really worth RMA over. No dead pixels.

As good as a TN panel can be, I don't think I could go back to one after using IPS for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Watched a youtube video last night and the guys opened up 20 of the PG279Q which was good of them! On the quality then they concluded that it did vary from what could be considered ok to unacceptable so a bit hit and miss unfortunately!

Food for thought though thank you!

How do you manage to get your hands on 20 of these o_o.
    If you do decide that it's worth it. I'd recommend overclockers.co.uk or amazon for purchasing. Just incase an RMA is required. Overclockers do good customer service from word of mouth around here, and amazon is generally solid.

Not me sorry! The youtube channel. Look like a PC store or something in Oz.

Oh I knew that! Wasn't clear enough :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I bought one of these and can recommend it BenQ XL2730Z 27-Inch LCD Gaming Monitor, FreeSync, 144Hz, 1ms GtG Response Time

You will need a beefy AMD card as its Freesync, think 290x upwards to get the full use out of it.
    Also, the brightness out of the box is insane, turn it way way way down and your eyes will thank you for it.
    When I got it I thought it was huge, now I would love another one.
    I do notice the colour difference a little bit , TN vs IPS but its not applicable in gaming, more if your watching TV on it, it has some settings for movies which helps and you can have a few profiles saved for just this situation.
    I would avoid the G-sync as its a premium for the performance unless you get a good deal somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00LBZLIXG/?tag=curiua0a-21#

659 euro. Think same on german amazon. So will cost you around 70 more for gsync. Not the ips model. I run it on a gtx 970.

Ha you noted already. Soz. I have one. Is good. I like it. Gsync definitely helps in arma3 but so could freesync (not had the pleasure) . Would I have paid full price. Probably not. But same would be said for any monitor costing 600+. I don't game nearly enough to justify it.

Ps new gpus out next month. Sp don't settle too much on parts. Far as I know announcement tomorrow about nvidia ones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I'm running an AOC 1080 Gsync screen and its amazing,i could never go back to 60 hz after this.
    IPS is over rated bigtime, I have a 2560X1440 IPS sitting beside my AOC and there is little to nothing between them in terms of colours.
    My next purchase will be a 27" 2560X1440 gsync.

Dell S2716DG 27" 2560x1440 G-Sync 144Hz would be my choice without doubt.

Those Acer and Asus monitors are a lottery and I personally wouldn't touch.
    Plus you have Dells class leading build quality.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell-s2716dg-27-2560x1440-tn-g-sync-144hz-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-084-de.html

Cheers everyone for the input. Food for thought. Also for the heads up on the potential Nvidia 1080 cards. I thought they were further off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Was just swooping in and not reading the thread properly as someone else has already said it :pac:

Hang off a while IMHO especially if you're going all 980ti

• Advertisement
Advertisement