Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting an old farmhouse

Options
  • 03-05-2016 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I'm going to view an old farmhouse this evening with a view to renting. It is in an area I have been looking at for a while now but I don't want to let this influence my decision. I have seen the house from the outside and noticed it has single glaze Windows. Would this pose a problem in today's day and age re heating, damp etc? It was gutted on the inside and recently renovated to a 'high standard' according to the agent and the heating works off solid fuel. Can anyone tell me what exactly I should be looking out for when I go to view, as the two properties I have lived in previously have been relatively new builds and very modern. I am looking to take a long term lease so I can save for a mortgage at the same time so I want to be sure I ask the right questions and have some knowledge of what to look for when I go in so that I don't come up against too many problems if any, if I do sign the lease

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Old Farmhouses can be very damp in the winter but at this time of year they are grand. Solid fuel heating can be very poor and slow to heat up. You will have to bulk buy a load of coal and there is no timer on solid fuel heating so you have to get up and light it in the morning if you want heat.

Single glazed wouldn't bother me, there are probably plenty of drafts in there that are worse than single glazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭stargirl28

JoeySully wrote: »
    Old Farmhouses can be very damp in the winter but at this time of year they are grand. Solid fuel heating can be very poor and slow to heat up. You will have to bulk buy a load of coal and there is no timer on solid fuel heating so you have to get up and light it in the morning if you want heat.

Single glazed wouldn't bother me, there are probably plenty of drafts in there that are worse than single glazing.

Thanks for that! I had thought about the cost of solid fuel. The agent said that there is also an oil tank out the back so I would assume this could be timed? When the owner renovated he left both options available for heating as the cost of oil can fluctuate frequently. What shou I look for that might show evidence of damp? I just don't want to be in a position where the agent has the house spotless and smelling lovely then I sign a lease, move in and bam there's a smell of damp around the house. As I said this is an area I have been after for a while and this agent is aware of that but I also want to be 100% before I move in as I want to stay for at least 3 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Expect to spend a small fortune in oil and coal in the winter months. If you've single glazed windows and/or the place is draughty don't be surprised if you need the OFCH on all winter and the solid fuel going.

If there's a back-boiler on the solid fuel stove, that might make things slightly easier (less-expensive) for you.

I'd factor in fuel costs somewhere between 2 and 4 times those of a modern house, keep that in mind when you're considering the rent.

Our first winter in a similar property was a real eye opener, the following spring we went mad on draught-proofing etc which made the 2nd winter much more pleasant.

Graham wrote: »
    Expect to spend a small fortune in oil and coal in the winter months. If you've single glazed windows and/or the place is draughty don't be surprised if you need the OFCH on all winter and the solid fuel going.

If there's a back-boiler on the solid fuel stove, that might make things slightly easier (less-expensive) for you.

I'd factor in fuel costs somewhere between 2 and 4 times those of a modern house, keep that in mind when you're considering the rent.

Our first winter in a similar property was a real eye opener, the following spring we went mad on draught-proofing etc which made the 2nd winter much more pleasant.

There is a back boiler on the solid fuel stove as the agent said that I could stick a bit of turf in before I go to work and it would keep the house tickin over until I got home. I'm sure there's a fire safety risk there somewhere though 😂

stargirl28 wrote: »
    There is a back boiler on the solid fuel stove as the agent said that I could stick a bit of turf in before I go to work and it would keep the house tickin over until I got home. I'm sure there's a fire safety risk there somewhere though 😂

hmmmmmm

Back-boiler should help but I'm not sure I'd say it's as easy as lobbing a bit of turf in twice a day.

Do you have access to turf?

• Advertisement

hmmmmmm

Back-boiler should help but I'm not sure I'd say it's as easy as lobbing a bit of turf in twice a day.

Do you have access to turf?

Neither did I! Im well used to these agents and there talk hence why I've come on here for some tips on what to look out for as it is an old house. My mother in law gets turf by the bucket load, she has a garage full and we are usually sent home every weekend with a few bags of turf so I would have access to a constant supply. I am expecting to have higher heating bills then I would a modern house, it's a given, but we have a three year old who is prone to chest infections which is something else we need to factor in. We'd have no issue draft proofing windows & doors but I just don't want to move in if there are any signs of damp but I wouldn't have a clue what to look out for that might indicate that it could be a problem. I can ask all the questions in the world and be given the perfect answers and still end up having problems. I suppose I'm just concerned as I've never lived in such an old house before. Being a dubliner recently relocated to the countryside it is a real novelty for me at the prospect of living in this kind of house. I have very much left the city girl behind me! But I don't want to take the jump and regret it afterwards and have to look at moving again in a years time :(

When you're looking around the house, check for signs of black mould but keep in mind this can be fairly quickly (temporarily) covered up with a fresh coat of paint.

Pay particular attention to the corners of the rooms, especially where 2 external walls meet. Look behind wardrobes and in the back of fitted wardrobes/cupboards etc.

In our case we didn't have too much of a problem with damp, just a touch behind the wardrobe in one bedroom where both walls are external. The thing that shocked us was the cold, the first winter was baltic hence the mad scramble to draught-proof. We were shovelling coal like the engine room of the titanic and burning oil at a rate to match Ulysses on a trip to Holyhead.

For all of that, we wouldn't move so don't be put off. Do be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If the interior has been recently worked on then seeing signs of damp are unlikely. Not that it's not there, but possibly covered up and will take a few months to come visable.
    If single glaze windows were left in place them I'd really question just how much of a renovation was actually done or was it more of a cover up to rent it out.

Old farmhouses are nice to live in from the perspective of character and old world charm. However heating to a level most of us expect will be expensive. In winter you'll be seeing frost on the inside of Windows, nights will be cold, very cold.
    Damp is a serious reality depending on how the renovation was done.

I would be expecting the rent to be low on such a house, low enough to compensate for the extra cost of heating.

When you're looking around the house, check for signs of black mould but keep in mind this can be fairly quickly (temporarily) covered up with a fresh coat of paint.

Pay particular attention to the corners of the rooms, especially where 2 external walls meet. Look behind wardrobes and in the back of fitted wardrobes/cupboards etc.

In our case we didn't have too much of a problem with damp, just a touch behind the wardrobe in one bedroom where both walls are external. The thing that shocked us was the cold, the first winter was baltic hence the mad scramble to draught-proof. We were shovelling coal like the engine room of the titanic and burning oil at a rate to match Ulysses on a trip to Holyhead.

For all of that, we wouldn't move so don't be put off. Do be prepared.

Thank you. That's great advice! Maybe moving in at this time of year would give us time to prepare for the winter and draft proof! I'll keep it in mind. I love the house from the outside. I suppose life of about taking chances!

_Brian wrote: »
    If the interior has been recently worked on then seeing signs of damp are unlikely. Not that it's not there, but possibly covered up and will take a few months to come visable.
    If single glaze windows were left in place them I'd really question just how much of a renovation was actually done or was it more of a cover up to rent it out.

Old farmhouses are nice to live in from the perspective of character and old world charm. However heating to a level most of us expect will be expensive. In winter you'll be seeing frost on the inside of Windows, nights will be cold, very cold.
    Damp is a serious reality depending on how the renovation was done.

I would be expecting the rent to be low on such a house, low enough to compensate for the extra cost of heating.

Thanks for that Brian. My husband has said similar about the single glaze. He doesn't understand why a house would be gutted inside (allegedly) and the Windows wouldn't be updated. The rent is quite low for a house its size, and we have factored in the rising fuel costs, although maybe not to the extent that graham has outlined. The house might be too good to be true!

• Advertisement

Any signs of damp might have been covered by the redecoration.
    The revamp might even create damp problems if not done well.

I lived in a house that had been gradually improved but the net impact was a damp house that wasn't ventilated. Before the improvements the drafts kept it dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thank you. That's great advice! Maybe moving in at this time of year would give us time to prepare for the winter and draft proof! I'll keep it in mind. I love the house from the outside. I suppose life of about taking chances!

If you draft proof too much you could get more damp. Friends of mine moved into an older house that had been revamped on the inside, within weeks they had damp everywhere. An old farmhouse isn't likely to have a DPC and if they didn't spend money on windows I doubt that they spent the extra on retrofitting a DPC.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you draft proof too much you could get more damp. Friends of mine moved into an older house that had been revamped on the inside, within weeks they had damp everywhere. An old farmhouse isn't likely to have a DPC and if they didn't spend money on windows I doubt that they spent the extra on retrofitting a DPC.

Hi del, excuse my ignorance but what is a DPC?

Hi del, excuse my ignorance but what is a DPC?

Damp proof course.

Damp proof course.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

How did the viewing go for you?

How did the viewing go for you?

Well I have to say it was renovated to a high standard in terms of fittings. Some of the original features were kept but modernised, press doors for kitchen, original hardwood floors etc. All in all the house was beautiful and given there's been no heating on in it for a number of weeks whilst the renovation was going on it wasn't very cold or draughty! Althou yesterday was quite a warm day so that might have just been luck on the agents part! There was a small extension built onto the back of the house by the owner so the sitting room and kitchen provide open plan living which appealed to me. To be honest I fell in love with the house. It's not often a house like this would come up on the rental market. It has a lot of character to it. I just wish I was better at making final decisions!!! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Sounds like you found a nice home, so how far out in the country are you moving and what do you plan to do with all your time when you get there?

Sounds like you found a nice home, so how far out in the country are you moving and what do you plan to do with all your time when you get there?

We have definitely. It's a beautiful house. Based in the Midlands. I could start baking cakes, maybe get a cow or two ;). I work during the day but am looking forward to the evenings & weekends walking they the local area. There are a lot of walkways around and the house comes with small bit of land so we have plans for vegetable garden etc. Basically I'm looking forward to leaving the hustle & bustle behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

It sounds lovely. I live in a farmhouse. It was also renovated but they did invest in new sash windows. I work from home and it can be cold in winter time when I am at the computer but I just heat that room well and wrap up. Long johns base layers and knitted wooly socks are important. I love it here though. Go for it!

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    It sounds lovely. I live in a farmhouse. It was also renovated but they did invest in new sash windows. I work from home and it can be cold in winter time when I am at the computer but I just heat that room well and wrap up. Long johns base layers and knitted wooly socks are important. I love it here though. Go for it!

Working from home - the ultimate dream! Ye our hearts are set on it now. Moving at end of the month. We'll survive the winter im sure. The extension onto the kitchen has pvc Windows and it is wired for television and has plenty of space for a couch on one end so we'll prob set up camp in there for the winter months as the solid fuel stove is in the kitchen. There's another room downstairs that cn b used as a sitting room also so that will be our summer room ;). I've recently taken up knitting (I'm not as old as I might sound ha!) but I'll added socks to my knitting list lol

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

I have an old farmhouse which we used to live in but had to move regarding work. It needs to be cared for with adequate heating and ventilation. I had tenants recently move out and the house is destroyed inside. The internal walls are black. As it turns out the tenants spent alot of time away and had animals living in the house, the neighbour would let the dogs and cat out in the morning and back in in the evening. The tenants ran out of oil and never bothered turning on the heat and the windows were closed all the time. One of the gutters broke and the rain was running down the external walls all winter, they didnt inform me of this.
    The result is I now have to spend a fortune on the house, more than the rent received in the last three years.
    Living in an old house can be great just do expect to have to care for it properly. There is ongoing maintenance on a weekly basis if you want to keep it in tip-top condition. This will be down to you to spot and rectify as you cannot expect the landlord to be there weekly. Little things like cold spots in the corners where the windows meet external walls can be areas where damp can appear, just give it a good cleaning with a mild bleach solution to keep it fresh.
    You will also need to heat and ventilate the rooms you are not using.
    Dont be put off by these things, its all part of living in a house with charm and character but do be aware of what is involved.

Glenalla wrote: »
    I have an old farmhouse which we used to live in but had to move regarding work. It needs to be cared for with adequate heating and ventilation. I had tenants recently move out and the house is destroyed inside. The internal walls are black. As it turns out the tenants spent alot of time away and had animals living in the house, the neighbour would let the dogs and cat out in the morning and back in in the evening. The tenants ran out of oil and never bothered turning on the heat and the windows were closed all the time. One of the gutters broke and the rain was running down the external walls all winter, they didnt inform me of this.
    The result is I now have to spend a fortune on the house, more than the rent received in the last three years.
    Living in an old house can be great just do expect to have to care for it properly. There is ongoing maintenance on a weekly basis if you want to keep it in tip-top condition. This will be down to you to spot and rectify as you cannot expect the landlord to be there weekly. Little things like cold spots in the corners where the windows meet external walls can be areas where damp can appear, just give it a good cleaning with a mild bleach solution to keep it fresh.
    You will also need to heat and ventilate the rooms you are not using.
    Dont be put off by these things, its all part of living in a house with charm and character but do be aware of what is involved.

Sorry to hear that Glenalla. Some people just live with the view that when they rent they can leave the property in any state they please as its not their problem. But myself and my husband take pride in where we live, he's also in the army so he's a bit of a clean freak anyway :) so any house we lived in was left in the same condition we received it in. Thanks for the advice re damp spots. That's why I came on here - to get advice from people already living in similar accomadation as id have expected there to be a little more upkeep then if we lived in a more modern house. I think our main problem might be the damp spots as you mentioned. The owner has put in all new guttering on the house etc so it's in very good condition as far as the eye can see. We will be the first to rent this house also so it will be well looked after.

Sorry to hear that Glenalla. Some people just live with the view that when they rent they can leave the property in any state they please as its not their problem. But myself and my husband take pride in where we live, he's also in the army so he's a bit of a clean freak anyway :) so any house we lived in was left in the same condition we received it in. Thanks for the advice re damp spots. That's why I came on here - to get advice from people already living in similar accomadation as id have expected there to be a little more upkeep then if we lived in a more modern house. I think our main problem might be the damp spots as you mentioned. The owner has put in all new guttering on the house etc so it's in very good condition as far as the eye can see. We will be the first to rent this house also so it will be well looked after.

Hi Stargirl

Yes there is a little more upkeep but the rewards are worth it. I currently rent an old house with no central heating or insulation and single glazed windows. When we started renting I was well aware of the extra upkeep and we are constantly cleaning around windows etc, just part of the job and I dont mind in the least, especially considering the fabulous views we have here and the peace and quiet - not like living in town at all.

Enjoy your new property.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you can find someone who sells firewood, its the best solid fuel, no ash to get rid of compared to Turf or Coal, and any ash can be used for fertilizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

What's the BER?

Pkiernan wrote: »
    What's the BER?

I wouldn't place to much emphasis on the BER, our farmhouse is a G rating but as warm as toast when the stove is going due to insulation in the roof space and very thick stone walls which retains the heat for days, however the house we are in now is an old mass concrete house with a G rating but gets freezing an hour after the fire goes out. Give me an old stone house any day.
    Also our stone farmhouse is much easier and cheaper to heat than the mass concrete one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have seen the house from the outside and noticed it has single glaze Windows. Would this pose a problem in today's day and age re heating, damp etc? It was gutted on the inside and recently renovated to a 'high standard' according to the agent and the heating works off solid fuel.
    If it's single glaze, then corners were massively cut. Although it seems like a nice job was done on the house, I'd wonder what other corners were cut?

Advertisement