Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress site question

Options
  • 03-05-2016 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

HI, I have a quick question regarding a wordpress website.

I have been asked to change the images on a slideshow on the main page of a wordpress site.

I have used wordpress before briefly, but I have never changed slideshow images as I am wary in case it messes up and disappears.

has anyone any advice?

thanks

*by the way, the original site designer has closed and emigrated*

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

has anyone any advice?

Take at least 1 full back-up before you think about doing anything.

Check the backup works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

+1 on grahams advice .
    I would also have a test server somewhere before I do anything

there should be a plugin that controls this so it should be a easy to change.

Alternatively it could be a complete mess and they have hard coded the images into the code

this isn't that bad either it is just a matter of finding where the code is which can be tedious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

sheesh wrote: »
    +1 on grahams advice .
    I would also have a test server somewhere before I do anything

there should be a plugin that controls this so it should be a easy to change.

Alternatively it could be a complete mess and they have hard coded the images into the code

this isn't that bad either it is just a matter of finding where the code is which can be tedious.

I have found the slider editing interface, it seems straight forward enough. Am I right in thinking that the new images I upload should be the exact dimensions of the other images on the slide show?

I have backed up the site btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Generally the images should be the same size. It depends on the plugin you've used (whether it will scale / stretch images to fit, some plugins allow different image sizes per slide..a bit messy though)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I have found the slider editing interface, it seems straight forward enough. Am I right in thinking that the new images I upload should be the exact dimensions of the other images on the slide show?

I have backed up the site btw.

not necessarily wordpress will take the images you put up and create copies in different sizes (large medium thumbnail) so as long as they are big enough you should be ok you might even be given an option to crop them to the appropriate dimensions you might have problems with portrait images versus landscape images and mixing the 2.

If it reasonably recent you should be fine and it should be an easy fix to get it back to what it was. The only way you will know is to try.

• Advertisement
Advertisement