Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting holiday visitors know about boil water notice

Options
  • 03-05-2016 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

I'm on a self catering holiday and arrived on Friday to be told there was a boil water notice in place as the local water supply has been contaminated. And water can't be even used for brushing teeth. I'm very annoyed this we weren't notified in advance about this. When we arrived on Friday we were given the impression that the boil notice had just been given but have since found out from locals that the notice has been in place since February, before we booked.

I feel we should have been told in advance so we could have made arrangement or even not have come. I have low blood pressure and have been hospitalized twice in the last few years when I've had diarrhea. The holiday is in a rural area with a limited bus service that we are reliant on and I'm in sole charge of my 3 year old. I would never have come if I'd known the water was potentially unsafe as I just feel we're too vulnerable. We've spent an absolute fortune on the inflated priced water in the one shop that's available. Do I have any right to complain about not being notified?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No not really imo.
    A lot of locations have boil water notices. You could ask the owner to give you a discount for being discommoded or ask them to buy the bottled water

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

But surely visitors should be notified in advance of booking? As there is no way I would have deliberately come here if I'd known.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't know the answer. You are still getting the water, it's just you have to boil it.
    Perhaps this should go to legal discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I doubt they are legally obligated to tell you but I would expect them to do so particularly goven you have a young child.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would expect to be notified or otherwise catered for - when I stayed in Galway for work during the crypto era any hotel I stayed in had bottled water in the rooms and extra available - but I doubt there's any legal requirement. The water is working, basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Thanks. My little guy and I have both been pretty sick since I posted. I doubt it was the water as I've been extremely vigilant but it did add an extra layer of worry. I'm not sure whether or not I'll complain about it but I've been here 4 times in the last 13 months and had planned to come again later in the year. The way the water situation has been handled has made me reevaluate that.

Advertisement