Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

First time

• 03-05-2016 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

So as the title says I've never ridden a motorbike in my life! My dad had a small scooter years ago but that's the extent of it!

I'm looking for some help to get started. What do I do, what bikes would be the best and basically where to begin?

Thanks again for the help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Brasso

First you need to do a theory test for bikes, the 40 question multiple choice one. When you pass this you get a cert which you can use along with an eyesight report and photo to redeem a learner permit. You can't ride with just the permit though, you need to do initial basic training (IBT). IBT will usually take a few days and is somewhat similar to driving lessons but includes classroom stuff also. Once you have those you can purchase a bike and gear if you don't already have those and then get insurance and get on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Best bet would be to get up on one. A few driving schools or instructors will do an intro course for an hour or so on a small bike. I did one in Leinster Driving Campus out in Maynooth, I'm sure others would do it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

Nothing really to add to this only don't hesitate in doing it. I was in a similar position 6 years ago, having never ridden a bike and it was one of the best things I ever did. I was pre ibt so can't really advise on that end of it. Best of luck with your 2 wheeled adventures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Some schools have a few bikes you can try during IBT. Otherwise go into a bike shop with a good selection of different types and ask can you sit on a few to see what feels comfortable, you won't be able to tell what it's like to ride but you'll definitely know what doesn't suit.

You should do more training than the IBT, the clue is in the name Initial Basic Training, which can lead to insurance discounts.

Never buy a lid 2nd hand and make sure that you get your head correctly measured before buying, you can get value online or up North. Then buy the best gear you can afford, 2nd hand is fine but inspect the seams for wear and damage.

Them enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Best bet is to start off on something simple but comfortable, such as the Yamaha YBR 125 or Honda CG 125. Both are extremely reliable and comfortable and perfect from all commuting needs in and around the cities.

Don't make the mistake I made, if you can, buy from a dealer, or if buying private, get the bike to a dealer or garage for inspection before buying the bike. Always make sure you get the logbook with the bike, post it yourself, get the owner to sign and take the logbook with you.

As said above, theory test is first, read up on the rules of the road and if you can get the practice theory test dvd. You should pick it up in any bookstore or try your library. It's easy enough, most questions are common sense.

Now onto IBT, not everyone does it, but I was the same as you. I was afraid to touch a bike before nevermind say get on one. However after a couple hours of IBT I didn't want to get off the bike. It teaches you what you need to know. How to be observant on the bike and how to concentrate and deal with unexpected situations. Its worth it, plus you need it to do the full test.

A word of advice, try go for IBT that offer insurance assessments. Trust me, these bring your premium down (brought mine down by 300 euro).

Once the IBT is done get yourself to an NDLS centre with your IBT cert and a completed application form. Then wait a week or so and get your license.

I'd wait till your done your IBT and chat to your instructor about which bike you are going to get. He will know by your riding style which bikes suit you and will probably have previous experience to help you get the perfect bike. You can go ahead a look at bikes in the meantime, that's totally up to you.

Best part of all, have fun. Just be cautious as all road users should be and just enjoy it. Biking is a fantastic experience, just take it easy the first while and build up your confidence on the road.

Oh and before I forget, invest heavily if you can in gear. A good solid helmet that fits perfect, not for a comfy fit but a helmet too big is as good as no helmet at all. Get yourself a jacket and pants (leather or textile) and make sure they are waterproof, this is Ireland after all.. and get a good pair of gloves (leather are my personal favorite) and a good pair of boots from a reputable dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Best bet is to start off on something simple but comfortable, such as the Yamaha YBR 125 or Honda CG 125. Both are extremely reliable and comfortable and perfect from all commuting needs in and around the cities.

No need to start on a 125, get whatever bike you can afford to insure and your licence allows. Any bike is dangerous so no point in having a bike for a short time and 125s where only popular when our stupid licences restricted people to them
    Don't make the mistake I made, if you can, buy from a dealer, or if buying private, get the bike to a dealer or garage for inspection before buying the bike.

Treat a bike from a dealer the same as a bike from a private sale, have both checked out before purchasing.

Always make sure you get the logbook with the bike, post it yourself, get the owner to sign and take the logbook with you.

The best option you can get is to bring a stamped envelope and post the VLC together, way to much risk for any seller to let a purchaser take the VLC away with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Epicbutterfly

Lads thanks a million for all the information! I feel much more confident now going out to get my licence. Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Del2005 wrote: »
    No need to start on a 125, get whatever bike you can afford to insure and your licence allows. Any bike is dangerous so no point in having a bike for a short time and 125s where only popular when our stupid licences restricted people to them

Not necessarily saying the OP has to pick a 125, I just found it much easier to start off on, and while all bikes are dangerous 125's aren't as powerful as the bigger cc's. Each to their own though, if the OP wants to choose a bigger bike then that's no problem.

Treat a bike from a dealer the same as a bike from a private sale, have both checked out before purchasing.

Of course, I'm talking about reputable dealers, of course though be cautious with all private sales.

The best option you can get is to bring a stamped envelope and post the VLC together, way to much risk for any seller to let a purchaser take the VLC away with them.

That's another way of doing it, then again, if I pay for the bike I always take the log book, usually get the owner to photocopy it for their records if they wish, I don't trust the seller to keep it and send it off for me. Twice I did and the log book never got sent off even though the seller "said he sent it".

Advertisement