Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Logical thinking about County Boundaries

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Give Louth to Ulster and Cavan to Leinster. It would look much nicer and help my OCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

awec wrote: »
    Damn right too, wouldn't want to be associated with the yokels from south Armagh. ;)

In all seriousness I don't think county councils would make sense in NI any more. There is no way local issues in the very rural south Armagh are similar to the local issues in the much more urban north Armagh.
    I'm inclined to agree although for different reasons... rural south Armagh has Newry City and Dundalk which are two large urban settlements. North Armagh has a small but distinct "conurbation" (Craigavon) but is still largely rural - there is nothing between Portadown and Dungannon and Portadown and Armagh city, and well over half of what is meant to be Craigavon is still green fields! The issue with Armagh is connectivity north to south. It's about 30 miles but takes around 1 hr 30mins to travel and thus there isn't quite the same affinity between North and South of the county... You can be in Co Derry sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Can Waterford have Ferrybank? At the moment it belongs to Kilkenny, miles away from the town, and right on the border of Waterford city itself (which nestles against the border). This means that Kilkenny CoCo actually have quite a bit of influence on building things there that have a negative impact on Waterford and not really much positive impact for themselves.

On the other hand, we'd miss the Ferrybank cliff changing flag thing.

jamesbere wrote: »
    No it shouldn't, we'll never bow to kerry rule.

I'd actually have South and West Kerry and West Cork in together. Similar areas, peninsulas with similar issues like isolation, economies based on the same type of farming and tourism. And in this new area, cannabis would be decriminalised, obviously, to cater for all the hippies. And Gaelic Football would be compulsory.

North and East Kerry are...different. They could be joined up with county Limerick. They could compare their huge farms and urban crime rates while playing hurling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Beara should be in Kerry. It's in the Kerry Diocese.

According to the Church of Ireland it's in the Diocese of Ross. Nobody can explain that dichotomy to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

NE Kildare, NE Wicklow and SE Meath should be merged into Dublin

kidneyfan wrote: »
    The real problem is lakes and rivers. Could we do something about them?

Yes. Finally cut out the talk and drain the Shannon. Make a new county out of the reclaimed land, called Poldershire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

goose2005 wrote: »
    NE Kildare, NE Wicklow and SE Meath should be merged into Dublin

Haven't they begun to already?
    Bracetown Business Park is Clonee, D15 but also in Meath afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Meath and Westmeath -- should be reintegrated into one county of Meath capital at Mullingar.
    We don't want the pale dwellers back. Westmeath remembers.

• Advertisement

You can't drive from North Leitrim to South Leitrim without driving through another county.

Allergic to Cavan and Roscommon? Take swimming lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Wicklow should be split up.

Give Bray and Greystones to Dublin
    Give Arklow to wexford
    Give Carnew/shilellagh etc to Carlow
    Give Blessington and Baltinglass to kildare

Have a tiny little county left

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

awec wrote: »
    Damn right too, wouldn't want to be associated with the yokels from south Armagh. ;)

In all seriousness I don't think county councils would make sense in NI any more. There is no way local issues in the very rural south Armagh are similar to the local issues in the much more urban north Armagh.

But sure there's loads of counties in the 26 counties like that where the county council doesn't make sense.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I agree leitrim should be divided out and the meaths should join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Letree wrote: »
    I agree leitrim should be divided out and the meaths should join.

The only problem with dividing Leitrim up is that nobody would want any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Let's leave Leitrim as it is, it's the little runt we all pick on and no one wants to be the new Leitrim if it is abolished.

• Advertisement
Advertisement