Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little tips when moving....

Options
  • 03-05-2016 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Just found out at the weekend that we have got the deposit for our first house and my mind starting to think of all the little things that i need to remember when moving as the place we have been renting we have stayed there for 4 years.

I went out looking just to get prices to see the size of things i would need to get when it comes to the time of moving. I wanted to get prices for things like heavy duty tape, bubble wrap and to see what size the boxes were that i would need to get.

Anyhow it turned out i did really well in picking up 2 pernament markers, 2 med sized bubble wraps, a roll of heavy duty tape and a box of labels all for €10.60 in Mr Price in Blanch shopping centre. def worth a look for anyone looking for bits like that. id say it would have cost me nearly €15 or a bit more if i tried to get them online so im thrilled with myself. i was going to buy my boxes but a friend of mine reminded me to get the boxes in places like harvey norman or B&Q when it's offically time for all of that.

so anyone else that may have little tips that made the moving process a bit easier def go ahead and share :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Lots be done change of address/ utilities etc. but cant do most till u buy house
    Here's afew for now
    Declutter get rid of stuff u dont use sell/donate/bin u dont want bring it
    Start to pack room by room ASAP anything u dont need (Start with the stuff you use least often eg xmas deco lol)
    DO NOT pack books/cds/dvds in big boxes there heavier then they look (wine boxes good size ask ur local off lience ;)
    Label boxes more then 1 side & which room to put.
    Sure we'll have lots more tips for u :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Get cleaners in to clean both places while they are empty. It saves you so much hassle, it will be cheaper than you think and it helps make sure you get your deposit back on the rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Organise with An Post to have your post forwarded for a period after you've moved

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Managing+Mail/Redirection/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmKG5BRDv4YaE5t6oqf0BEiQAwqDNfFSNa29bpaV8SnJIrlYaPRW6r55o6D2z-NKKLMDKm6saAhKs8P8HAQ

Seems you can now do this in advance, and activate it when you move - so do it in advance rather than when you're actually moving and have a million other things to be thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Set up and make the bed first before you do anything else that way when you're done at the end of the day you can just fall into it.

Pack a suitcase and box of basic essentials (toiletries, plate, fork, knife) so that they're easily accessible in case you don't get everything done as quickly as you'd hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Was duvet and pillow covers and dress duvet and pillows before packing. Once you're into the new place then they're ready to go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

While its always a good idea to declutter and get yourself organised, realistically you're a while away from getting the bubble wrap out yet.

It takes months to go through the whole process, from mortgage approval, finding a property, bidding and going sale agreed, and then the sale itself....I'd say a conservative estimate would be 6 months.

That said, next time I move, I'm getting the professionals in! I'm never doing it all ourselves again, not worth the hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

Get cleaners in to clean both places while they are empty. It saves you so much hassle, it will be cheaper than you think and it helps make sure you get your deposit back on the rental.

spacehopper that is exactly what we are going to be doing!! Any chance you know of anyone? we are in the dub area.

While its always a good idea to declutter and get yourself organised, realistically you're a while away from getting the bubble wrap out yet.

It takes months to go through the whole process, from mortgage approval, finding a property, bidding and going sale agreed, and then the sale itself....I'd say a conservative estimate would be 6 months.

That said, next time I move, I'm getting the professionals in! I'm never doing it all ourselves again, not worth the hassle!

i hear what your saying sarah. im the kinda of person where i want to have a list of everyting i need to do at the early stages so once it's time to start getting them done i know what has to be done and there will be very little stress. i did the same for my wedding and all my mates thought i was mad to be doing things so early but i had the last week with my parents all to myself with no jobs to be done.

it will be mad stressful in the weeks leading up all the things being ticked off so once i know i can do all these things for us and have it organised it will take some of the stress away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Completion dates can be pushed out, so don't tell your landlord you'd be leaving the current place that day or just a few days later, it's good to have a bit of overlap. It will also make moving a lot easier as you can move gradually rather than doing it all on one day.

I found the crates you get with tesco deliveries to be great for moving, and you can stack them up nicely. We didn't use cardboard boxes at all, just got a couple of big plastic boxes and kept reusing them, as well as suitcases. The boxes are now used for storing stuff in the attic, and they are much sturdier than cardboard boxes.

miezekatze wrote: »
    Completion dates can be pushed out, so don't tell your landlord you'd be leaving the current place that day or just a few days later, it's good to have a bit of overlap. It will also make moving a lot easier as you can move gradually rather than doing it all on one day.

I found the crates you get with tesco deliveries to be great for moving, and you can stack them up nicely. We didn't use cardboard boxes at all, just got a couple of big plastic boxes and kept reusing them, as well as suitcases. The boxes are now used for storing stuff in the attic, and they are much sturdier than cardboard boxes.

ya we are going to over lap it by a week at least. def don't want to be running out the door. haha!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Organise with An Post to have your post forwarded for a period after you've moved

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Managing+Mail/Redirection/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmKG5BRDv4YaE5t6oqf0BEiQAwqDNfFSNa29bpaV8SnJIrlYaPRW6r55o6D2z-NKKLMDKm6saAhKs8P8HAQ

Seems you can now do this in advance, and activate it when you move - so do it in advance rather than when you're actually moving and have a million other things to be thinking of.

We used it and found it completely useless. We even moved within the same Dublin post code and most of our mail was not redirected. When we moved into the house. One of the neighbours knew the owners of our old house and she welcomed us to the neighbourhood with a box of easily over 50 letters that were sent to our old house despite paying for redirection.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

newacc2015 wrote: »
    We used it and found it completely useless. We even moved within the same Dublin post code and most of our mail was not redirected. When we moved into the house. One of the neighbours knew the owners of our old house and she welcomed us to the neighbourhood with a box of easily over 50 letters that were sent to our old house despite paying for redirection.
    Fair enough.

I used it, admittedly quite a few years ago, and it worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,511 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Declutter before you get to the packing stage, or you will find yourselves unpacking boxes of random stuff and wondering why on earth you brought it. Clothes, papers, kitchen presses and drawers, so that at the last minute you can just put contents of drawers etc into boxes without the rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Use large canvas shopping bags for moving large heavy stuff like pots and pans and roasting dishes and books. The bags are so much easier to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

have a skip on site when you are packing.
    a friend moved last year in a rush(only 6 months notice) he moved so much crap that even now he has 2 tractor trailers of rubbish to take to the recycling centre.

if you have it on site you will use it. the amount of cardboard and plastic that you will find when you start emptying presses would frighten you

This is really important. Ultimately I had 6 weeks from getting my keys until moving day, but it was still tight at the end. That said, I did replace all the carpets, replace flooring in the kitchen and hallway, paint throughout and get a new kitchen, but the time just flew by.

No way would i give notice on my rented accommodation until you have the keys in your hand. My original completion date was estimated as 7th of September but it didn't close until the 29th of October.

If I'd given notice based on the original date, I would have been quite stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I found the crates you get with tesco deliveries to be great for moving, and you can stack them up nicely.
    Where did you get those? Just kept the ones that came with your deliveries? In our experience the delivery driver usually takes them back with him...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Sleepy wrote: »
    Where did you get those? Just kept the ones that came with your deliveries? In our experience the delivery driver usually takes them back with him...

Oh really? It was a few years ago, our driver would just leave the crates with us until the next delivery. We just kept them when we knew we'd need them for moving. Maybe they've changed that, haven't got delivery in ages now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Set up and make the bed first before you do anything else that way when you're done at the end of the day you can just fall into it.

Pack a suitcase and box of basic essentials (toiletries, plate, fork, knife) so that they're easily accessible in case you don't get everything done as quickly as you'd hoped.

This is what I do every time I move. I pack like I am going away for a weekend. I fill a case with the clothes, towels, toiletries needed for two days so I am not frantically looking for my toothbrush/ fresh undies.

Pack a basic box with kettle, teabags, sugar, mugs, plates and a few bits of cutlery. Again, this means you won't have to open loads of boxes looking for things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

We have moved 5 times over last 10 years my tips would be

1. get a removal company to move everything
    2. label what you pack into boxes
    3. get a skip at the same time you move so you can thrown out stuff before it leaves old house
    4. plan your broadband move properly as you will want this live at new house as soon as possible
    5. get a cleaning service to clean your old house after everything is out as once you move the last thing you will want to do is return to old empty house to clean it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

newacc2015 wrote: »

Ditto here. Found it completely worthless, and majorly annoying to have to chase important things around, like tax or insurance discs.

Also, after it was finished, our postman started redirecting our new house mail back to our old house for no apparant reason.

Biggest pain in the backside ever.

Tip from me... Get the number of a local takeaway for the first evening. Reward anyone who is helping you move with pizzas

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When we moved, we got got loads of professional standard moving boxes from my BIL who had moved recently. We gave them away on Adverts after we were finished. They were really strong and all the same size, which made stacking and moving really easy.

We packed up everything and rented a Hertz van for 2 days over the move.

We decluttered as we packed. Sent old electronics for recycling and sent everything else to charity shops or to the bin.

dudara wrote: »
    When we moved, we got got loads of professional standard moving boxes from my BIL who had moved recently. We gave them away on Adverts after we were finished. They were really strong and all the same size, which made stacking and moving really easy.

We packed up everything and rented a Hertz van for 2 days over the move.

We decluttered as we packed. Sent old electronics for recycling and sent everything else to charity shops or to the bin.

Dudara we are doing the exact same. i got a price for a van rental. like the idea of packing an over night bag like your going away so you have all immediate stuff. we have a few electronic stuff to try and sell but other than that don't think we have much else that i can think of. (no doubt there will be tons of stuff in the end )

tonight we are going to do up our rough budget to see how much extra the hubbie will want to ask the bank for. will be such a tough one to put together.

oh one tip i have when your moving your tv. wrap it up in a duvet. i always find that to be a great one.

We used Hassle.ie to get a cleaner around the day we left and also before we moved into our new place. Its €12 per hour with a minimum of 3 hours for a once off clean. So we spent €36 on each property and it was money extremely well spent!

Think i came across a way on saving a small bit when your buying alot of big furniture. Try and get most of your big items eg. bed, sofa, table and chairs from the same place as you will have on the delivery charge me thinks. Something to look into anyhow.

Advertisement