Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wordpress

Options
  • 03-05-2016 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Am I right. I'm starting a new business and I'm starting a website. I've started on WordPress with one of their free themes. Once I get up and running can I get this transfered over to my own domain name/website. Does the hosting company do the transfer. I just want to make sure all the work I do on this is not wasted.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Once I get up and running can I get this transfered over to my own domain name/website.

if you're using Wordpress.com you can add your own domain, you can't move the site you build to another provider.
    Does the hosting company do the transfer. I just want to make sure all the work I do on this is not wasted.

it's only a few of the more expensive hosting providers that will transfer an existing site for you. No providers will be able to move a site from WordPress.com

To clarify, there are 2 flavours or Wordpress

1) WordPress.com - quite inflexible, cannot be moved. Limited plugins/themes.
    2) WordPress from WordPress.org. Can be moved, need your own hosting when getting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Get the domain you want and hosting, install wordpress.
    Many hosting providers have a "one click" install, if you use this make sure you do not use the defaults for names, (and avoid, admin "the domain name", info, test, etc. as a user name as they get hit first in most attacks) and create a strong password.

Make sure you install security plugins - wordfence for example.

Install an "under construction" plugin, then you will only be able to see the site when logged in.
    Then when you are happy with the site turn the plugin off.

If you are using a free theme use one from the WordPress repository, you are then reasonably assured it is clean and compliant with WordPress standards. Many paid themes include content creation aids, some are handy but due to the way they are coded they do tie you to that theme and make future theme changes very time consuming.

Advertisement