Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New restaurant Celbridge

• 03-05-2016 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

There's a new restaurant opening in the closed down Chinese near the Castle town Inn(I can't remember the name of the Chinese)
    The canteen @ Celbridge is the name of the new place according to the sign on the door.
    It seems the owners have a restaurant in Blackrock and this will be their new venture

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

The Mulk wrote: »
    There's a new restaurant opening in the closed down Chinese near the Castle town Inn(I can't remember the name of the Chinese)
    The canteen @ Celbridge is the name of the new place according to the sign on the door.
    It seems the owners have a restaurant in Blackrock and this will be their new venture
    The China Wall?

It must be this that was featured in the IT last year.
    Link
    Great and badly needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    The China Wall?

It must be this that was featured in the IT last year.
    Link
    Great and badly needed

That's the one, a nice location for a restaurant, looking forward to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Cannot wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mattiemattie

be interesting to see if they go with €48 no choice set menu,and how that will do in Celbridge.

be interesting to see if they go with €48 no choice set menu,and how that will do in Celbridge.

The price list is on their website, menu isn't up yet though.
    Early bird 2 course 24 euro, not bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

was in the Canteen Saturday night. In the end went with a small set menu

2 course €32
    3 course €38

Lovely food well cooked and presented. It was booked out satuday night and not body that i spoke to has a bad word to say about it

Very welcome development! Celbridge badly in need of a restaurant at this end of the market. Most people rely on Maynooth restaurants for special occasions because - as good as the pub grub can be in the town - it's not a patch on some of the places in Maynooth. The Japanese restaurant in Celbridge is brilliant though.

Really hope this does well. Hope to try it midweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I didn't try it myself but heard from some reliable people that it was very good.

I was there on Friday evening for the early bird, food was excellent and had a nice bottle of Spanish red for a very good price,

I'll def. be back, saves me going to Maynooth for really good food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The Mulk wrote: »
    I was there on Friday evening for the early bird, food was excellent and had a nice bottle of Spanish red for a very good price,

I'll def. be back, saves me going to Maynooth for really good food.

It's way above any of the places in Maynooth, truth be told.

Been there twice, excellent food both times. Nice wine. Good service.

Talking to the owner there the last time, their menu will be changing every few weeks/months - next season is game based, apparently. Roll on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Tom Doorley likes its - this from Kildare Now

10:58 Saturday 23rd of July 2016
    A top TV food critic has been bowled over by a restaurant in Celbridge.

Tom Doorley, who appears on TV3's The Restaurant, was falling over himself to praise Canteen Celbridge.

The premises on the Main Street of the bustling town is run by James Sheridan and Soizic Humbert who relocated from Blackrock in Dublin.

Influential foodie Doorley uses descriptions like 'ecstatic' and 'blissful', 'seductive' and 'perfect' to describe the food on offer at the restaurant.

He says at the end of his Irish Daily Mail review: "This is thoughtful cooking, considered cooking, and it's not unduly influenced by fads or fashion.

"It's the kind of food that takes not just a great deal of experience to produce the required level of confidence; it needs a certain kind of mind. The food at Canteen is, if you like, highly intelligent."

Doorley is also impressed by the prices as the early bird menu charges just €27 for three courses which he said 'will have you pinching yourself'.

Have tried 3 times to get a booking but not doing very well, they don't ever seem to have their booking list to hand. I'm thinking of calling myself Tom Doorley next time. Is there a secret code? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭RayCon

Been once so far ... food was excellent. Service was great. Will definitely be back.

Joe Public wrote: »
    Have tried 3 times to get a booking but not doing very well, they don't ever seem to have their booking list to hand. I'm thinking of calling myself Tom Doorley next time. Is there a secret code? :-)

Got a booking :)

How was it?

How was it?

Food was very good with taste as it's meant to be with no heavy sauces. Everything gave the feeling of freshness.
    All courses were delightful and cooked to perfection. Food presentations were artful. Service was also pleasant and prompt.
    Probably the best quality 4 course meal I ever had not that I'm a restaurant expert but just my opinion.
    Not the place to go with a hunger on you looking for a plate of spuds, a pound of steak and all the trimmings. Go a little hungry :)

Definitely worth a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I was here back in June and the food IS amazing. Whoever said it was head and shoulders above anywhere in Maynooth is spot on. I'm a big fan of Avenue but have been so often that their menu has become a bit uninspiring. Hoping to get back to Canteen very soon, just need an occasion!

Hoping to get back to Canteen very soon, just need an occasion!

The menu has changed since then. Now:

2 courses €33 / 3 courses €39

Homemade sourdough, Pain de campagne & snacks

Starters

Salt baked Jerusalem artichoke, pear, watercress Knocklara sheep cheese

Crowes pork, homemade boudin noir, rhubarb and fennel

Pressed chicken and foie gras terrine, beetroot, verjus and raisin dressing

Cured and charred salmon, warm potato and horseradish, sorel

Main courses

Haunch of Venison, celeriac, pied de mouton, barley and pepper sauce

Hake with cauliflower, fregola, crispy mussels, summer truffle and morel sauce

Glazed duck breast, pickled peaches, turnip and cavolo nero

Chargrilled and corned black Angus beef, confit onion, pomme purée,

All main courses are served with a side of potatoes

Dessert Menu

Soft chocolate, hazelnuts, praline ice cream

Fresh Irish blackberries, parfait, white chocolate

Salted caramel brûleé, sablé Breton, vanilla ice cream

Selection of Irish cheeses, homemade crackers and pommé

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Ate there last night... We ordered from the menu posted just above - it was pretty much as is with a couple of changes...

I have the pork and the beef. My wife had the salmon and the venison. We were presented with a small amuse bouche - raviolo in an onion sauce - it was a stunning start to an amazing meal. We had the chocolate and a tart tatin to finish.

It is beyond a doubt the best restaurant in this part of Kildare if not the entire county. Coming from Maynooth, if steak and wings are your thing it's a great spot but there's little I can't cook better at home. That said, very much looking forward to Red Torch.

However, Canteen is a proper restaurant serving really, really impressive food.

For anyone who enjoyed canteen over the last few years, solid rumours of it not being around too much longer for a variety of reasons. So if you want a last taste for the moment of Sheridan's cooking, now's the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Idioteque

For anyone who enjoyed canteen over the last few years, solid rumours of it not being around too much longer for a variety of reasons. So if you want a last taste for the moment of Sheridan's cooking, now's the time.

What are the reasons you've heard for it not being around much longer?

Idioteque wrote: »
    What are the reasons you've heard for it not being around much longer?

Not making enough money basically, and some personal reasons for the owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Not making enough money basically, and some personal reasons for the owners.

That's strange, its ALWAYS packed when I've been there. Personal reasons might be the main reason, sad to see it go if this is true:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Idioteque

I'd imagine Aimsir would attract some people who might have done canteen already as there's not many good choices for higher end food too close to Celbridge.

I thought it was doing ok though when they started opening on extra days etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Theox15

Owners are expecting another child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Was there last night with the OH and we had an amazing meal as always. They told us the place is currently for sale so they definitely won't be around much longer, highly recommend getting in there before it's gone!!!

Theox15 wrote: »
    Owners are expecting another child

Aye, that was what I heard.

The potential silver lining is ... the place they used to be in in Blackrock, the people that bought that place off them went on to get a Michelin star straight away. So we might get lucky and someone just as good or better buys it up. There's such a market for it in Celbridge given there's not a single good restaurant in the town bar Canteen (some of the pubs do decent grub, but they're not restaurants).

Real shame though, been there a dozen times or more and never had a bad meal. Always excellent, going to miss it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lease up for sale

https://www.owenscommercial.ie/property/canteen-4-main-streetcelbridgeco-kildare/

Got a probably-final booking in anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭aj89

I best pay it a visit before it closes so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Aye, that was what I heard.

The potential silver lining is ... the place they used to be in in Blackrock, the people that bought that place off them went on to get a Michelin star straight away. So we might get lucky and someone just as good or better buys it up.

or a costa coffee :):)

Advertisement