Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NARGC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Heard last night in the NARGC are running a members only draw to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. Apparently it was announced at the meeting yesterday, apparently it has a Pot of around 10K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Heard last night in the NARGC are running a members only draw to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. Apparently it was announced at the meeting yesterday, apparently it has a Pot of around 10K

Yes indeed spread the word you have to have paid your compensation fund by 1 October.
    That means paid to national compensation fund officer not just your club Secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Backbarrel

That brilliant. It's a good move. It will give a right lift to ordinary members.

Looking forward to the AGM now. Didn't make it yesterday but will deffo be in Wexford on the 5/6th.

Heard something about Fri night events as well as Saturday. Should be good.

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Yes indeed spread the word you have to have paid your compensation fund by 1 October.
    That means paid to national compensation fund officer not just your club Secretary

That will help club secretaries trying to get f*ckers to pay up their subs..

I like it.

I shot a few clays this morning and lads are talking about it, it's a nice thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Mississippi.

grassroot1 wrote: »

A great idea certainly, it would be great if it was done every year even on a smaller basis for the first of August.
    Our club treasurer waits till every one has paid then sends it off in one go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭J.R.

A great idea certainly, it would be great if it was done every year even on a smaller basis for the first of August.

Not talking about your club - but about Gun Clubs in general

The NARGC cover expires on 31st July annually.
    If any member is out on the land after that.....pigeon shooting, decoying or duck shooting they are not covered if renewals have not been sent in.

If a member paid their subscription before the end of July.....assuming that their renewal payment would commence on 1st August and provide continued cover for the following year ......if they had an accident and then found out that they were not covered as it was not sent in (as club was waiting for all members to pay).....I would surmise that that Gun Club Committee could be in a very precarious situation and may be held personally liable for any costs incurred.

J.R. wrote: »

If any member is out on the land after that.....pigeon shooting, decoying or duck shooting they are not covered if renewals have not been sent in.

If a member paid their subscription before the end of July.....assuming that their renewal payment would commence on 1st August and provide continued cover for the following year ......if they had an accident and then found out that they were not covered as it was not sent in (as club was waiting for all members to pay).....I would surmise that that Gun Club Committee could be in a very precarious situation and may be held personally liable for any costs incurred.
    Have to agree our County Fund Officer is always banging on about getting the fund membership in too. Some lads I know will wait till the morning of the 1st and be upset when their told you ain't in till your on the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Not precarious..they would be F@#ked!:eek:

Our county CFO Has it every year. He rings you ring up and ask why no renewals from your club X?

Waiting on everyone.. :eek:
    Don't wait, get them in so the lads that have paid are covered. If something happens to those that are not covered then tough sh1t.

I agree with all your comments about this and I have mentioned it to him other years, but all to no avail.
    This year my membership card says protection starts 10th August.
    I will push him harder next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭J.R.

Lads acting as treasurer in a lot of clubs think that just because it's a hobby and a bit of craic that the same implications as "normal life" occurrences and rules don't seem to apply.

I know my busiest time of the year ...by that I mean the time of the year I fire the most shots .......is first few weeks of August at the pigeons and crows.

I would not go out without cover.

This serious issue was pointed out to our treasurer a few years ago...when explained he saw the serious implications......he now pays the amount collected in mid-July. Anybody not paid up by then is sent a text telling them that the fees are to be paid and if not in by the end of the week, when he is paying them, then the latecomers can sort it out themselves...he now only sends in the fees once...on time.

The lads that don't pay up on time are sent a letter telling them so....that they are not paid up members ......no longer have cover so not to go out on the land......if they do not pay in time for the shooting season the Gardaí will be notified that they are no longer members. They are then informed how and where to travel and pay the cover themselves and explain that they were late.

Lads this happened to never again had to be told to pay on time....too much hassle for them to sort it out themselves.

A deadline has to be a deadline.......only fair to those who pay on time. Word quickly gets out that no more messing is tolerated and all have to pay on time.

Treasurers gain more respect by insisting on abiding by the rules and deadlines.

I agree with all your comments about this and I have mentioned it to him other years, but all to no avail.
    This year my membership card says protection starts 10th August.
    I will push him harder next year.

That's bang on, I hope you don't think I am getting at you at all. Push hard as you can.

Lads acting as treasurer in a lot of clubs think that just because it's a hobby and a bit of craic that the same implications as "normal life" occurrences and rules don't seem to apply.

I know my busiest time of the year ...by that I mean the time of the year I fire the most shots .......is first few weeks of August at the pigeons and crows.

I would not go out without cover.

This serious issue was pointed out to our treasurer a few years ago...when explained he saw the serious implications......he now pays the amount collected in mid-July. Anybody not paid up by then is sent a text telling them that the fees are to be paid and if not in by the end of the week, when he is paying them, then the latecomers can sort it out themselves...he now only sends in the fees once...on time.

The lads that don't pay up on time are sent a letter telling them so....that they are not paid up members ......no longer have cover so not to go out on the land......if they do not pay in time for the shooting season the Gardaí will be notified that they are no longer members. They are then informed how and where to travel and pay the cover themselves and explain that they were late.

Lads this happened to never again had to be told to pay on time....too much hassle for them to sort it out themselves.

A deadline has to be a deadline.......only fair to those who pay on time. Word quickly gets out that no more messing is tolerated and all have to pay on time.

Treasurers gain more respect by insisting on abiding by the rules and deadlines.

I agree with everything here. Lads need to cop on and stop making a treasurers job harder.

It is a disgrace what goes on every year.

I'd sign up to a direct debit mandate pity it can't be arranged. We need to think outside of the box...DD to the Club

berettaman wrote: »
    That's bang on, I hope you don't think I am getting at you at all. Push hard as you can.

I didn't think you were getting at me at all.
    I'm sickened with him in the club and share the same view as yous

I'd sign up to a direct debit mandate pity it can't be arranged. We need to think outside of the box...DD to the Club

It's a DD from the club to the NARGC I'd need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Like the idea of sending the late subscribers off to the county fund officer to pay their insurance themselves.

Happens to me every year as club treasurer, had a fool made of me sending off single payments for fellahs who wouldn't pay on time.

Nowadays though if someone makes a late payment
    1. They get ****ed out of it.
    2. They are told i’ll make the payment when I’m good and ready to make the payment, and I’m covered to do this because we updated the constitution of the club with words to the effect to say that if you don’t have not received your membership card you are not covered by insurance and you shouldn’t be out shooting.

It never works though, a drive out to the arse of nowhere to pay the County fund officer might sort them out.

Just had an interesting conversation with a lad about Country Sports Ireland apparently they're the lads selling training courses to beat the band on lamping foxes, lampjng rabbits etx etx....seem to be real snake oil merchants, apparently they are seeking insurance for €40. I says to him that you pay peanuts and you get monkeys, there not proven and probably an insurance of last resort. These shower are A Nth. Ireland based body infiltrating the South and putting absolutely nothing into hunting south of the border I have no probs with CAI ireland and IFA they actually contribute but these shower seem to be pure commercially driving and take

Just had an interesting conversation with a lad about Country Sports Ireland apparently they're the lads selling training courses to beat the band on lamping foxes, lampjng rabbits etx etx....seem to be real snake oil merchants, apparently they are seeking insurance for €40. I says to him that you pay peanuts and you get monkeys, there not proven and probably an insurance of last resort. These shower are A Nth. Ireland based body infiltrating the South and putting absolutely nothing into hunting south of the border I have no probs with CAI ireland and IFA they actually contribute but these shower seem to be pure commercially driving and take

It's a bit of a joke really. You get covered for 40 but what happens when something happens..

Also I don't like being covered by company based outside the state. I remember the sh1te with Setanta. Not saying the same thing will happen but i am choosier where I put €€ Euros .FFS:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I wonder if BREXIT would stop it when the UK leave Europe. Not into insurances but would an English insurance company like this one not struggle in a European/Irish context to sell there wears.

BTW the pheasant cheques are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Not bothered normally

Don't cai and ifa charge around the same money. On paper the cai ifa and csi all read very similar for levels of cover. nargc is 50 (And well worth it for the services)

I have no idea how many people do their courses but I agree they are advertising them hard everywhere.

What ever happened to your club mate's showing you the ropes..no one should be paying for a course in lamping when there are lads in your area who would show you what to do

Don't cai and ifa charge around the same money. On paper the cai ifa and csi all read very similar for levels of cover. nargc is 50 (And well worth it for the services)

I have no idea how many people do their courses but I agree they are advertising them hard everywhere.

What ever happened to your club mate's showing you the ropes..no one should be paying for a course in lamping when there are lads in your area who would show you what to do

Yes agree on the "insurance" its all around the same, I also agree strongly on what you say about the training side of it. I cant help thinking its an attempt to commercialize the sport The SPORTS COALITION OF VESTED INTERESTS and their Like are trying to do this.

Yes agree on the "insurance" its all around the same, I also agree strongly on what you say about the training side of it. I cant help thinking its an attempt to commercialize the sport The SPORTS COALITION OF VESTED INTERESTS and their Like are trying to do this.

I think the csi is run by a guy who is ex cai...meet him at birr in 2017.. Pleasant enough to chat too..i never knew who the coalition was made up of etc .am happy that way too!

I hear Dan Curly from Monaghan is the new NARGC Chairman. Met him before, seems a good guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

I hear Dan Curly from Monaghan is the new NARGC Chairman. Met him before, seems a good guy.

Was talking to him myself at 1 or 2 events seemed like a genuine man. Best of luck to him in his role

• Advertisement

Did you hear who else got elected? Any new faces?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Joe McGinty from Wexford

Did you hear who else got elected? Any new faces?
    It's basically the same lads with a chap from Cork in there aswell. One of our Delegates said it was a very normal agm with a lot of issues put from the floor like Pine Martin predation and issues with Buzzards. If it was that way it's great to see that the NARGC are finally getting back on track. I didn't realise they now have a training course for transition year students and they published a youth development policy.

It's basically the same lads with a chap from Cork in there aswell. One of our Delegates said it was a very normal agm with a lot of issues put from the floor like Pine Martin predation and issues with Buzzards. If it was that way it's great to see that the NARGC are finally getting back on track. I didn't realise they now have a training course for transition year students and they published a youth development policy.

Thanks for the update.

Hi lads,

Anyone attend the NARGC AGM?

What was the vibe this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

berettaman wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Anyone attend the NARGC AGM?

What was the vibe this year?

I was talking to our delegate today. He said it was a very good agm. Most people were in agreement on all the topics and it went very well. Best 1 in years he reckons. He said wexford game council outdid themselves in the organising of the whole event and all tho activities they put on
    Raging i didn't go now by the sounds of it

Hi ya lads,

This area was quiet for a while so I thought I would start it off again.

1. How was the season? Got out loads, shot a few and the new dog didn't make a complete eejit of himself. A few woodcock came in early so that is nice.:D

2. Brother lost his NARGC card and thought no bother he will get a new one in June. Then he decides to change his gun and lo and behold the garda wanted a copy of it. Long story short the county fund officer had a duplicate sent out and the brother now has his gun. Couldn't be more helpful.

3. I heard that there is an NARGC newsletter coming out now so I would like to get my hands on that. I thought the 50th Anniversary game shot was decent and a good read. Unfortunately I did not come out of the draw for the Gun.:rolleyes:

Anyway, on we go, shooting season over , vermin season is on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭rugerfanatic

Interesting piece in one article where the writer reckoned lads with .22's shouldn't be allowed on land. He'd be well pissed off with current situation with 223'etc. Other than that not much else of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Interesting piece in one article where the writer reckoned lads with .22's shouldn't be allowed on land. He'd be well pissed off with current situation with 223'etc. Other than that not much else of interest.

Why would lads with .22 not be allowed on land? What logic is behind that thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭rugerfanatic

Why would lads with .22 not be allowed on land? What logic is behind that thinking?

If I remember rightly they're too dangerous. The article was from 1980's

I Reiner my Dad telling me he was refused a license for a 22lr in the 50s because he lived too close to a railway line.🙄

Hi Lads,

Anyone know when the Comp Fund is open for business for the new year.. Need the card for the deer licence..

Hi.

The County Fund Officers will be getting the packs for the coming year the 2nd weekend in April.

I think applications for cards will be taken form 1st May onwards. Make sure that you ask your club or county fund officer about it. It is possible with a bit of effort to get your card in early May.

Lads is ut true the June meeting has been brought forward to tomorrow so that the elections and issues with Politicians discussed with the Regions. Seen it on a facebook page

It would be a good idea to let them know we are still here. So as not to have a similar situation to the UK and the general license

• Advertisement

The June meeting has been brought forward, to discuss all issues not just political ones.

However if you think the NARGC will be sitting idly by while politicians are canvassing you will have to think again.

Shooting sports issues will be firmly put on the radar of anyone running for election.

I'd be fairly pissed off if they weren't calling a meeting over the elections.
    I'm going to ring my county rep and have a chat because we need to bring the following to the government politicians attention at the door step.
    1. Destruction of good cover and habitat forced on the farmers by the EU.
    2. Making all non steel shot proofed guns worthless.
    3. That the lead ban is a defacto ban on older firearms and a way of getting rid of guns allowing the statement that x amount of firearms were taken out of commission.
    4. The fact the NARGC the largest shooting body in Ireland with clubs in each parish are being ignored by Fine Gael govt

5. That according to Fianna Fail there is 150,000 unregistered firearms in private use.

..I'll look forward to someone posting what happens tomorrow

At the very least check that the people you vote for are not anti your sport

Like this:

Cavan County Council

Cllr Winston Bennett (Fine Gael, Cavan County Council) 
    “No I am not [in favour of a ban on foxhunting and hare coursing]” from a text message to ICABS, October 2014

In Mayo 2016, Cllr Bennett encouraged farmers in Cavan to shoot and kill wild deer who wander "willy-nilly" from forests on to private land. Quoted in the Irish Mirror, he blamed deer for causing damage and declared: “If deer are breaking into farmers' land and they have a proper gun licence, they should be allowed to shoot them. We live in the real world, farmers can shoot stray dogs so it should be the same for wild deer. You have deers wandering from forests and onto people’s land and they can't just do that willy-nilly. Something has to be done.”

Cllr Damien Brady (Sinn Fein, Cavan County Council) 
    "Fine Gael Cllr Peter McVitty and Sinn Fein Cllr Damien Brady from Cavan voiced their support for the [pro-blood sports Rise] campaign." (Leitrim Observer, May 24, 2010).

Cllr Peter McVitty (Fine Gael, Cavan County Council) 

"Fine Gael Cllr Peter McVitty and Sinn Fein Cllr Damien Brady from Cavan voiced their support for the [pro-blood sports Rise] campaign." (Leitrim Observer, May 24, 2010).

Cllr Shane P O'Reilly (Fianna Fail, Cavan County Council) 
    "I totally am against both [foxhunting and hare coursing]. I love horse and greyhound racing. I was at a coursing meet with a friend of mine a few years ago, it disturbed me...it's shocking the terrible treatment of animals in this country." from a message to a local constituent, May 2014.

Take home messages from yesterdays quarterly meeting.
    Lead ammunition is in serious trouble the national chair has done a lot of work but bureaucrats are instigating the ban not MEPS. No ammo for 22 rifles will be able to got following a ban as the manufacturers will not make steel bullets to that size. The chairman was mandated to seek other routes to fight the ban.
    Woodcock survey now taking place if you haven't pick a spot and started surveying do now The future of woodcock shooting depends on it.
    Lots of debate on the mickey measuring taking place on Facebook etc with lads showing bags of 6 to 12 woodcock. This will do our sport no good and is a PR disaster. Foxes with half their heads missing was also mentioned.
    Local and european elections heavy pressure to be put on all politicians ask for support for shooting and hunting in writing. The guy from Cavan Cassidy loves the sound of his own voice gave a run down on what they have done re lobbying politicians.They have done good work in fairness. Wexford had a local meeting last week and never mentioned the elections they got fairly small in their seats.

Ill tell him that,...🀣😂
    And what's the outcome of it?

Was it a case of down with that sort of thing?
    This isn't fair, why are they picking on us, chatting to our lad last night he said, no one had any real interest in getting into the debate. Are we all now to raise hello with the Politicians, has any politicians formally endorsed us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

5. That according to Fianna Fail there is 150,000 unregistered firearms in private use.
    Is that nonsense still doing the rounds? Feck's sakes.

Sparks wrote: »
    Is that nonsense still doing the rounds? Feck's sakes.

Apparently there is a clarification coming it was an error by a researcherðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

"researcher" went to wikipedia more like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

It might be right if you count the illegal firearms held by scum bags for their private use.

Advertisement