Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NARGC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's not. It's from the Small Arms Survey 2007 and they got it from three northern Irish tabloid articles. Basically, they take the number of licences the Gardai say are issued, multiply that by about 1.7 and say that's how many firearms (legal and illegal) there are in the country. There's no evidence to back it up - it's just what they've found works in other places (which have very different licencing laws, public feeling about firearms, ownership levels and ethos surrounding firearms).

Thing is, we told thim all this during the joint oireachtas committee hearings a few years ago. They have it in black and white in their own records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Was it a case of down with that sort of thing?
    This isn't fair, why are they picking on us, chatting to our lad last night he said, no one had any real interest in getting into the debate. Are we all now to raise hello with the Politicians, has any politicians formally endorsed us.[/QUOTE]

No dont get me wrong I would say delegates were in awe of what Cavan had done and had egg on their face for doing nothing.
    The message to all shooters is confront the canvassers at the door.
    Mariead McGuinness has written a letter to give her support to fieldsports.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Apparently there is a clarification coming it was an error by a researcherðŸ‘

Researchers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't make me laugh.

Gunpolicy.org is perpetuating this myth also by claiming there are 342,000 firearms in the country with 142,000 illegal firearms and a firearm ownership of over 8%.

Numbers released only three weeks ago by the Minister and AGS states there are 187,492 firearm licenses as of January 2019, which puts the ownership rate at approx 3.6%.

The "stat" on illegal firearms is, as Sparks said, purely fictitious and pulled from thin air. Essentially SWAG (scientific wild ass guess).

So if the actual number of firearm licenses, which can be checked and verified by AGS, is half the claimed number then i put no faith in the illegal firearm numbers at all.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

If lead is banned no 22 or or 17 bullets is a concern.

Where is this talk of banning lead shot coming from?

When it happened elsewhere it was for shotguns only and in some cases only over wetlands, etc. It did not cover all firearms because as was said banning anything that uses lead bans ALL firearms.

Every bullet has lead in it whether it is solely lead as with rimfire or lead core as with centrefire stuff.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

European Chemical agency is looking ban lead. All lead, not restrict lead but out right ban in shot and bullets.

Knew it sounded familiar. Thread on it here from a couple of years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

Cass wrote: »
    Knew it sounded familiar. Thread on it here from a couple of years back.

Think that's the same thing only it has gathered momentum since then!!! I remember there was open submissions sought last year some time. So I can only assume it has moved further down the line by now. Talking to a Lad last week and he reckons this is a fairly done deal in Europe and we will suffer at the hands of it. Maybe somebody else can clarify more on it. But I would hope there is something that can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Hi Lads,

NARGC all ireland clay shoot this weekend, is anybody heading up?

I was pipped at the post by some Tipp lad at the pool shoot last year so I will have a right go at it this year.

The feedback was good last year but the flies would eat you.:D

berettaman wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

NARGC all ireland clay shoot this weekend, is anybody heading up?

I was pipped at the post by some Tipp lad at the pool shoot last year so I will have a right go at it this year.

The feedback was good last year but the flies would eat you.:D

There is a gang of us going up to it anyway from our neck of the woods. It's always a good weekend and the grounds they are using is brilliant for it. Looking forward to it. The pool shoot is calling me. 🙂

• Advertisement

Wont make it this year I'm working nights. Good craic last year.

Well, any good scores and who took the county spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Limerick man had a 50 straight today. Think one of the young byrne lads from louth had high gun yesterday.

Paddy carleys daughter won the ladies.

Dont know much more didn't hang around in the heat. Tricky course yesterday but an enjoyable weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Limerick man had a 50 straight today. Think one of the young byrne lads from louth had high gun yesterday.

Paddy carleys daughter won the ladies.

Dont know much more didn't hang around in the heat. Tricky course yesterday but an enjoyable weekend

Good tricky course.

Shame we took 3.5 hours to do the shoot.

Organisation was terrible, an hour waiting in the heat to shoot stand 5, (the rabbit)

Referees should of had a list of the order of teams, and stuck to it.

Juniors started in the middle of it, and really help up stands. They weren't meant to start till the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

garv123 wrote: »
    Good tricky course.

Organisation was terrible, an hour waiting in the heat to shoot stand 5, (the rabbit)

Juniors started in the middle of it, and really help up stands. They weren't meant to start till the end.

always is though to be fair, i always enjoy it but you always need to clear your schedule for the day ha

garv123 wrote: »
    Good tricky course.

Good day out. Course was good with something for everyone.

Teams jumping into stands out of sequence was a pain.:mad:

Fair play to the referees for sticking it out in the sun.

Pool shoot was easier than last year but still impossible for me. Well done to the winners.

Was there Saturday. The pool shoot was shootable but u needed to have your head on to shoot it straight. Absolutely love the grounds. It's a brilliant place for the shoot. So many different possibilities for stands.
    The course looked tricky but it wasn't impossible to be fair. I think a lot of people took it for granted it would be easy.
    I did see one the stands act up and it caused a backlog but that's the joys of it. U have to take the good with the bad
    Great to meet up with old friends and have the chat. Looking forward to next year already 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Backbarrel

Hi lads,

I haven't posted in a while..New Woman 2 years ago, New Baby last year, New job this year..

Anyway, it was all go..just like the NARGC AGM.

Teething problems at the start..Mcrophones weren't working and I have to say the sound at these meetings is usually CAT.:mad:

Anyway sure we kicked off and all was well until a row broke out over delegates and attendees .. and some buckos left. Then a oul fella jumped up and joined them and I thought this is right craic, Any more fecking lemmings? :rolleyes:

The fund administrator got a nice bit of Crystal for 40 years in the role and it was well deserved..

Then we had the Tae and bickies and when we came back the microphones were working and the National Treasurer was on.

To say that he has a fair grasp of the figures is an understatement.
    He is on the ball..

Then the rest of the meeting was average enough..but the AOB was good. A lot of ****e was sorted. A lad from Tipp brought up an issue that I won't go into here but suffice to say that it has cost us a good few bob to fix and those responsible will be dealt with.

Heard delegates from two regions accusing each other of being **** stirrers on the way out and I thought, "ye are both right!!":D

All in all a good AGM. Couldn't stay for the dancing but I heard the craic was good.

MAYO next year!!

Backbarrel wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I haven't posted in a while..New Woman 2 years ago, New Baby last year, New job this year..

Anyway, it was all go..just like the NARGC AGM.

Teething problems at the start..Mcrophones weren't working and I have to say the sound at these meetings is usually CAT.:mad:

Anyway sure we kicked off and all was well until a row broke out over delegates and attendees .. and some buckos left. Then a oul fella jumped up and joined them and I thought this is right craic, Any more fecking lemmings? :rolleyes:

The fund administrator got a nice bit of Crystal for 40 years in the role and it was well deserved..

Then we had the Tae and bickies and when we came back the microphones were working and the National Treasurer was on.

To say that he has a fair grasp of the figures is an understatement.
    He is on the ball..

Then the rest of the meeting was average enough..but the AOB was good. A lot of ****e was sorted. A lad from Tipp brought up an issue that I won't go into here but suffice to say that it has cost us a good few bob to fix and those responsible will be dealt with.

Heard delegates from two regions accusing each other of being **** stirrers on the way out and I thought, "ye are both right!!":D

All in all a good AGM. Couldn't stay for the dancing but I heard the craic was good.

MAYO next year!!

Glad you could make it.

It would not be an NARGC meeting without a bad microphone or 2.
    Overall it wasn't a bad AGM. After a rocky start things settled down.
    The big thing was the passing of the resolution to move the AGM from October to Springtime.

I am looking forward to Mayo in 2021.;)

Hi lads,

Welcome back and congrats on the baby. Boy or girl?

Thanks for the update. Was this just general topics or were any of the current issues discussed (lead ban, hare coursing, etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭LONG DRAG

See large increase in payouts on compensation this year, any reason why.

Cass wrote: »
    Welcome back and congrats on the baby. Boy or girl?

Thanks for the update. Was this just general topics or were any of the current issues discussed (lead ban, hare coursing, etc).

Baby Girl!

In fairness, All current issues including the lead shot issues has been covered in all the meetings so far this year.

This was an overview of where we are. In summary, lot done and more to do to bother that awful phrase.

LONG DRAG wrote: »
    See large increase in payouts on compensation this year, any reason why.

This was part of the ebb and flow of claims. Someone was shot a few years ago and lost their sight and that was sorted out in the recent accounts, I believe.
    Overall safety/accident situation fairly good. Just this one thing dragged out a bit and was costly in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Baby Girl!

In fairness, All current issues including the lead shot issues has been covered in all the meetings so far this year.

This was an overview of where we are. In summary, lot done and more to do to bother that awful phrase.

High cap mag ban?Confiscation without recompense of certain types of rifles and said mags? Outcome?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    High cap mag ban?Confiscation without recompense of certain types of rifles and said mags? Outcome?

Just what I heard:
    My understanding is that those involved in devising the S.I. promptly went on holidays.:mad:
    Eventually, the NARGC got a meeting sometime in September? By all accounts the powers that be were well chuffed with themselves until it was pointed out to them in no uncertain terms that they made a bollic# of things.(we all know the story I won't regurgitate).:rolleyes:

Anyway, there is work being done to sort it out.

As usual certain members of civil service will stick their head in the sand and wait for others to fix their mess. It has not been easy but I know it is being worked on.

No new posts in a while so a news update:

New website for the NARGC was mentioned elsewhere and it looks good.

Pheasant season next Sunday. Hunt away within the 5km it seems.

Anything else going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭garrettod

Having registered on the new website, changed my temporary email and password, I'm now unable to find the logout button - am I missing the obvious?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

garrettod wrote: »
    Having registered on the new website, changed my temporary email and password, I'm now unable to find the logout button - am I missing the obvious?

Did you not realise, you can checkout any time you want, but you can never leave???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Vizzy

In the right hand corner is your name, with a little dropdown arrow.
    The logout is in there.

• Advertisement

Click on your name top right hand corner..

log out is at bottom of drop down box

FURTHER NARGC STATEMENT – 31.10.’20

Pheasant Shooting Prohibition

Following on from our Statement of yesterday, the NARGC has, all yesterday evening and again today, been in touch with Government Ministers and a wide array of other politicians, together with the Commissioner of An Garda Síochána and his staff, endeavouring, on your behalf, to regularise what we believe is a false interpretation of SI.448 of 2020 which, it appears, An Garda Síochána is relying upon in issuing the Press Release outlined on its website, dated 29.10.20.

The NARGC is delighted to report that legal opinion sought from Mr. Mark de Blacam, SC has now been delivered to the Association which unambiguously states that the activity of rough pheasant shooting does not fall within the scope of SI.448/2020 as published. The NARGC has already placed this legal Opinion, from this eminent SC, before the Garda Commissioner and his staff with a call to immediately amend or remove the ‘no hunting’ instruction on the Garda website.

It is extremely important that we all respect the rule of law, even in circumstances where we believe the same to be an incorrect interpretation of SI.448/2020. Therefore, unless we have some further development before tomorrow morning, we would advise members not to engage in rough pheasant shooting on November 1st. Of course vermin shooting may be engaged in.

If the Garda Authorities and Government do not act forthwith, then the Association may find it necessary to take this matter before the High Court next week, to seek appropriate Injunctive relief on the subject matter.

When and if further developments arise in the coming hours, we will immediately advise everyone through our website (www.nargc.ie) and our Facebook pages.

Dan Curley
    National Chairman
    NARGC

Copyright © 2020 National Association of Regional Game Councils, All rights reserved.

This email was sent by:
    National Association of Regional Game Councils
    O'Connell House - Unit 1, O'Connell House Studios
    Mountmellick, County Laois, R32 DA36

Thanks,

G.

Further to the above, I believe that discussions are ongoing behind the scenes with the Garda authorities.
    But if there is to be any change it will have to wait until Tuesday when the Dail meets ( note that all this arose on Thursday after the Dail finished for the week).

There are a few TD's lining up with questions for the Minister.

Hopefully !!!!

Fair play to NARGC, they are not taking this lying down and leaving no stone unturned.
    They obtained a legal opinion on a Saturday:eek:
    The Chairman was on morning Ireland this morning.
    NO other body representing hunters have done more at this stage.

I read the pronouncements of other bodies as they rolled over to have their bellies tickled.:rolleyes:
    Be under no illusion, if this is overturned they deserve not one ounce of credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bluezulu49

bluezulu49 wrote: »

She didn't seem very sympathetic. Repeating that the "pheasant gets to live for another day...". Is she a vegetarian/vegan? If not, then she is hypocrite.

Fair play to him going on there and fighting for the pheasant shooters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

She didn't seem very sympathetic. Repeating that the "pheasant gets to live for another day...". Is she a vegetarian/vegan? If not, then she is hypocrite.

Fair play to him going on there and fighting for the pheasant shooters.

Didn’t come across as too unbalanced to me.

Didn’t come across as too unbalanced to me.

I don't feel it was unbalanced. He was allowed to get his speak in. But what has the pheasant is allowed to live longer got to do with anything?

He was on a western radio station too seemingly, much more pro hunting. Got on well.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

berettaman wrote: »
    Fair play to NARGC, they are not taking this lying down and leaving no stone unturned.
    They obtained a legal opinion on a Saturday:eek:
    The Chairman was on morning Ireland this morning.
    NO other body representing hunters have done more at this stage.

I read the pronouncements of other bodies as they rolled over to have their bellies tickled.:rolleyes:
    Be under no illusion, if this is overturned they deserve not one ounce of credit.
    At last , an N.A.R.G.C Chairman who sounds like one of us and got his point across clearly and calmly . I felt represented as a hunter by a man who said what we all thought . Well done!

Hi,

Does anyone know how many members the NARGC actually have?

... Just wondering what sort of political influence they could have, if they were so inclined.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Does anyone know how many members the NARGC actually have?

... Just wondering what sort of political influence they could have, if they were so inclined.

"The Association has 24,000 members in 965 Clubs spread throughout the country – one Club in almost every parish. It has enjoyed an increasing membership year on year for the past ten years with an average increase of 500 per annum."

Found it here if you want to read more:

https://www.nargc.ie/cpages/about

The Rifleman beat me to it.

Just to add the NARGC is also a Seanad nominating body - Interesting

Thanks Rifleman!

I would guess that the membership equates to about 15% of the licence holders. Not a bad start, if some muscle flexing was needed.

Vizzy wrote: »

Just to add the NARGC is also a Seanad nominating body - Interesting

Now that is interesting!

I wonder if they've ever used that ability, to make a nomination. Seems to me that they should do, at every given opportunity.

Thanks,

G.

But then again, what does the Senad really do? Apart from cost a lot of our cash?As the final guardians of the constitution, they rolled over pretty quick on the COVID emergency powers.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

But then again, what does the Senad really do? Apart from cost a lot of our cash?As the final guardians of the constitution, they rolled over pretty quick on the COVID emergency powers.

Agreed, but with all the loonies that are in it (e.g. David Norris advocating for keeping Georgian doors in Dublin etc) why not nominate someone who is vehemently in favour of Countysports.
    Someone in the same vein as a Healy Rae, or a Mattie McGrath who would spend all their time on their feet in the Seanad making noise.
    They may not be elected but it would certainly raise the profile of Countrysports, particularly in rural Ireland.

Some Senators have been a lot more vocal, and a lot more influential, than others.

I think it gives a platform, and also, the ability to network within government (primarily behind closed doors), which are two positves imho.

Thanks,

G.

RTE News

Game hunters up in arms over restriction on activities

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1102/1175490-pheasant-shooting-restrictions/

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

RTE RADIO 1

MORNING IRELAND 2nd November 2020

Pheasant hunting prohibition amid Level 5 restrictions
    Dan Curley, Chairperson of the National Association of Regional Game Councils, reacts to the prohibition of pheasant shooting under Covid-19 Level 5 restrictions.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/morning-ireland/programmes/2020/1102/1175351-morning-ireland-monday-2-november-2020/?clipid=103525089#103525089

RTE News

Game hunters up in arms over restriction on activities

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1102/1175490-pheasant-shooting-restrictions/

Jeebus...Does the AGS really think we are all off to shooting parties in our tweeds and SXS in Downtrodden Abbey someplace every tie we walk out our doors???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭Mississippi.

It's going to be on the rte 9:00 news now after the break

I plink therefore I am

• Advertisement
Advertisement