Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NARGC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Some class of a sub license ,which allows you to hold your firearm while your application for a change over is been sorted out /found after been mislaid/or clarified for the 3rd time ,or in someones locker while their on leave/suffering from stress/ etc etc etc (and can you not use your other ''gun''(shotty) for the dear:rolleyes:,its currently running at 8-10 weeks in the Enniscorthy branch :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Will the gameshot magazine be given out this year, the licence holder we got a few years ago was a nice touch,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

ronn wrote:
    Will the gameshot magazine be given out this year, the licence holder we got a few years ago was a nice touch,

Jesus... don't push too hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

berettaman wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. This Executive is after being backed by the Governing Body in a big way. Now hopefully they will have a year without too much drama to get stuck into the work that needs to be done.

A properly run Game meat handling course needs to be out back up and running thats for one thing..
    Any other ideas? Items on a wish list?(Within Reason):p

The NARGC should disassociate themselves from the Game meat handling course. It is supposed to be a hunting/conservation association not a commercial enterprise facilitating game dealers in ensuring venison is kept rolling in their gate. Up to 2011/2012 you could not be a member of the NARGC if you were involved in the commercial exploitation of ANY game species including deer. This clause in the constitution was amended to specifically exclude deer, just prior to the setting up of the course in 2012. It was a set-up from the beginning, held in gorey <mod snip>. Interestingly enough its not in gorey anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

A rule change for firearms substitution would be great...direct like for like caliber substitution should be the norm

a buy and sell section on the nargc website for members. Must be loads of lads looking for dogs, trailers, etc all year round. The other buy and sell pages are gone to the dogs with restrictions on what you can advertise.

p28559 wrote:
    a buy and sell section on the nargc website for members. Must be loads of lads looking for dogs, trailers, etc all year round. The other buy and sell pages are gone to the dogs with restrictions on what you can advertise.

p28559 wrote:
    A rule change for firearms substitution would be great...direct like for like caliber substitution should be the norm

I like that idea a members only section with free downloads including game shot etc would be good.

The NARGC should disassociate themselves from the Game meat handling course. It is supposed to be a hunting/conservation association not a commercial enterprise facilitating game dealers in ensuring venison is kept rolling in their gate. Up to 2011/2012 you could not be a member of the NARGC if you were involved in the commercial exploitation of ANY game species including deer. This clause in the constitution was amended to specifically exclude deer, just prior to the setting up of the course in 2012. It was a set-up from the beginning, held in gorey . Interestingly enough its not in gorey anymore.

think the game handling course is a good idea I heard good feedback but I'd go more for the lobbying of tags to be brought in to control the numbers shot. Chatting to lads from the states recently as soon as you shot your deer the tag goes on there is a conservation element too where the tag can be used to track and trace. You buy the tag you don't have a tag you can't sell the deer. I've no problem with hunting deer for the fridge but solely hunting for profit sickens me. I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

p28559 wrote: »
    Um. Out of curiosity, how would you change it from the current system, where like-for-like substitution is pretty straightforward and just takes an FCA1 form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

A push for a tagging system on Venison entering the food chain would be extremely welcome ,its not that difficult ,Inland Fisheries can manage it :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Jesus... don't push too hard

Do you know what you're problem is, it's like your shooting, you're aiming too high,
    :-) :-) :-)

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote:
    Um. Out of curiosity, how would you change it from the current system, where like-for-like substitution is pretty straightforward and just takes an FCA1 form?

Maybe a like for like swop if you have a x caliber gun done in the shop not waiting ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

Maybe a like for like swop if you have a x caliber gun done in the shop not waiting ages.

In the ideal world i would rather if they licensed the man not the gun. Just go into shop buy new gun. They put it on your licence there and then take it home and enjoy it , without jumping through hoops for months waiting to hopefully be granted it in the end

Sparks wrote: »

last time i changed o/u it took 2.5 months for the paper work to go through. i would recommend a system whereby its a 24/48 hour turn around. as others have said more an authorise the individual rather than the actual firearm. given the level of tasks that can be undertaken online the substitution system should be faster.

members services should also be expanded to try and negotiate group deals for members...similare notion to the "one gig switch" movement

there was a preferential rate on a credit card, i think, a few years ago.

an approach could be made for:
    vehicle insurance
    mobile phone deal
    hunting clothing
    the list could be endless

in my experience companies would line up to get to a market of 20,000 individuals plus their families

the game meat handing course is of great benefit to members who butcher for themselves..it is always going to provide skills to people who would abuse the skills for profit.

p28559 wrote:
    members services should also be expanded to try and negotiate group deals for members...similare notion to the "one gig switch" movement

Was there not something a few years back with discounts on certain hotels etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Lobby for a FIVE year liscense which may or may not become an EU norm by the end of November this year.

With that get NPWS to cop on with this ridicilous situation of annual deer permits.They could be at least tri or bi annual at this stage.

Lobby also for a five year moratorium on selling of wild venison into the food chain.This will break the "in it for the money" boys in shooters and game dealers.Will also get the national herd a break and also get a proper census done of how many deer there are out there.

Tagging is NOT the way to go belive me! We WILL end up paying for these and it WILL COST you your now pretty much free sport!After all these tags will cost money to print,administer [at civil servant rates] etc. Dont EVER offer suggestions in Ireland that can be given as a excuse for some greedy SOB to print money off our backs.:mad:

Poaching.
    Start setting up a more effective way of combating poaching in both deer and winged game.IOW a more responsive poachers hotline and AGS ,NPWS cooperating better with local hunters.Supplying at cost trail cams with SMS function,decoy deer traps,and possibly also "sting" operations on commercial harvesters and game dealers.

Win hearts and minds.
    Start pushing a positive image of shooting.In the sense that we do more for conservation and protection of the enviromentin a year than a bunch of rabid spikey haired mutant placard waving antis have in a decade. That means that NARGC affiliated clubs will have to follow a strict protocol of PR relations as well with their community if they want funding.IOW at least one project that shows the club cared for the enviroment in the parish they are in. Show that this is a lifestyle choice,not a hobby anymore.

Lobby for the use of slugs for hunting as well.
    Any of those would be a great start.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Which would involve cutting the Gardai out of the loop, which would necessitate both a massive cultural shift in the Gardai and a pretty fundamental legislative change. Plus, we hear stories every other week on here of RFDs getting the law even more wrong than local Supers; I'm not sure that if you make the RFD the ultimate arbiter of what is a valid like-for-like swap that that's going to go well. Not that it does with the Gardai, but if they screw up, the Minister doesn't propose changes in the law in response.
    In the ideal world i would rather if they licensed the man not the gun.

That would necessitate a fundamental rewrite of the 1925 Firearms Act and everything that followed after it, to bring it back into line with the UK law that existed here prior to 1924. Honestly, that's a pretty massive task, and it requires the Minister to do it.
    p28559 wrote: »
    last time i changed o/u it took 2.5 months for the paper work to go through. i would recommend a system whereby its a 24/48 hour turn around. as others have said more an authorise the individual rather than the actual firearm. given the level of tasks that can be undertaken online the substitution system should be faster.

You can't speed a thing up just by demanding it, especially to go from 10 weeks to 2 days. We're just not a high priority for the Gardai or the DoJ so we're never going to take priority for a Garda Super's time over, say, criminal cases.
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Lobby for a FIVE year liscense which may or may not become an EU norm by the end of November this year.

EU "norms" don't really translate to here or we wouldn't have restricted and unrestricted licences, we'd have Classes A through D, and a much better system than the current one :(

Look, I'm definitively not saying that those are bad ideas - especially since I'm one of the thousands of people who said they were a good idea over the years - but they are things that would require significant changes in the Firearms Act or in the culture of either the DoJ, the Gardai, or both. As such, they're within the aegis of the Minister for Justice and the Commissioner; not the NARGC executive. The executive can lobby for the changes through the FCP with the support of the other shooting bodies, but they can't simply do it directly (and given the last decade or two of history between the NARGC and the PTB before the current executive's time, lobbying is going to be quite... delicate for some years yet and now is a time to be seeking the support of the other shooting bodies rather than making demands on them, which is something I'm pretty certain the new executive has a visceral appreciation of).

In other words, if you set those ideas as goals for the new executive, you're setting goals which physically cannot be met. Set them as aspirations, by all means, but don't hold them up at year's end as hard targets that defined success or failure. Unless you have some ulterior motive for seeing the executive's year judged a failure, of course.

You can't speed a thing up just by demanding it, especially to go from 10 weeks to 2 days. We're just not a high priority for the Gardai or the DoJ so we're never going to take priority for a Garda Super's time over, say, criminal cases.

it is only a suggested lobbying point not a demand. negotation requires both sides to shift to the common ground.

the gardai time would be better spent if they were freed from basic admin work.

In other words, if you set those ideas as goals for the new executive, you're setting goals which physically cannot be met. Set them as aspirations, by all means, but don't hold them up at year's end as hard targets that defined success or failure. Unless you have some ulterior motive for seeing the executive's year judged a failure, of course.[/QUOTE]

firearms licence review is not in the gift of any executive. discussion is essential in creating policy. what ever they do decide to pursue needs to be set in framework which makes they work put in identifiable, quantifable so that mud can not be thrown at them. the work they do is voluntary and needs to be acknowledged.

p28559 wrote:
    Unless you have some ulterior motive for seeing the executive's year judged a failure, of course.
    [/quote]

Always the conspiracy...😆 even our friends across the water have problems with licensing I am of the opinion it will never be made easy. There are times I think the hassle and awkwardness is part of the......do I really need to go through this ****....section of the application.

In fairness they are not all anti gun either. I know a 17 yro who when he applied for a shotgun was "invited" in for a chat. The same Super asked him about school and football, shooting and reminisced with him about shooting rabbits with his Dad's gun as a kid growing up on a farm. Told him to be safe and enjoy himself it's a great way to get exercise, spoke about dogs and ducks. The kid then asked him why he called him in for the interview, I must say the answer was peachy......"to see you were normal". Love that story.

• Advertisement

Wrong attribution in that quote CS, I said that, not p28559 and I was referring to the internal NARGC row rather than an external third party.

Sparks wrote:
    Wrong attribution in that quote CS, I said that, not p28559 and I was referring to the internal NARGC row rather than an external third party.

Apologies for the misquote. But that aside as said there will always be difficulties

Apologies for the misquote. But that aside as said there will always be difficulties

Indeed, but I've always found that difficulties are reduced if everyone involved knows what's possible and what's involved in a task.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Backbarrel

External/internal rows aside I have to say I am enjoying this thread lately.

I like the positive contributions and the fact that everyone has a wishlist. It reminds me of Christmas!

They may not all be possible or even probable but we have to at least aspire to greater things.

After AGM I spoke to a lot of delegates..to a certain extent the war is over, lets get on with it. a good idea is a good idea no matter where it comes from. We need to get more young people involved in the sport. I also like the discount scheme idea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

No reason a deer tag should cost more than 34 cent. That's what Mullinahone Co-Op charge for a Lamb Slaughter tag.

https://tags.mullinahonecoop.ie/ots/spring/selectProducts;jsessionid=C7BA8D6E9CE55C47665E5C167557B7F0?execution=e1s2

One sure thing, DO NOT allow the Dept. Ag. be involved at any level or stage.

Wish list. To have at least one Garda in a station with even a basic knowledge of firearms and the laws currently in place. And a Super who appllies the law as it stands, not as he thinks it should stand.

Listened in amazement as the local gun/sports shop owner tried to explain to a Garda over the phone why .17 was not the same as .22. He didn't make much progress.....

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

NARGC Facebook Competition for the 1st November 2016...

That could be worth a look over the next few days..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

NARGC Facebook Competition for the 1st November 2016...

That could be worth a look over the next few days..:D
    Its a photo competition please try and make an entry, if for no other reason than to let the powers that be know what a pheasant looks like!!!

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Its a photo competition please try and make an entry, if for no other reason than to let the powers that be know what a pheasant looks like!!!

I dare say that in prior years that may have been a valid point. Of the current exec I would know that at least 13 of the 15 are shooters out and out..the other two I am unsure of as I haven't asked about them yet:D.

I dare say that in prior years that may have been a valid point. Of the current exec I would know that at least 13 of the 15 are shooters out and out..the other two I am unsure of as I haven't asked about them yet:D.

Spoke to some of the Exec in the last year.. They are all shooting mad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Guys sorry for going off track here, but hoping someone might know the answer to this one for me, NARGC insurance, does it cover you for shooting in Northern Ireland or is it just the Rep ?

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Guys sorry for going off track here, but hoping someone might know the answer to this one for me, NARGC insurance, does it cover you for shooting in Northern Ireland or is it just the Rep ?

NARGC comp fund covers members for shooting anywhere in the EU.
    At a recent AGM it was passed to cover members for shooting worldwide. I think that starts from 1st August next.

• Advertisement

NARGC comp fund covers members for shooting anywhere in the EU.
    At a recent AGM it was passed to cover members for shooting worldwide. I think that starts from 1st August next.

I had forgotten about that.. now that Brexit is here and and UK won't be in the EU that makes sense. I go across to Scotland goose shooting every couple of years so that is handy..

NARGC in far sighted planning shocker...:D

Backbarrel wrote:
    NARGC in far sighted planning shocker...

Dont get excited an Octopus can predict the winners of a football competition.....

Dont get excited an Octopus can predict the winners of a football competition.....

Yes but in this case..fair play: they reacted to a situation and should be praised for that.

The Government didn't have much of a plan for Brexit in fairness...

We give the NARGC grief for the cock ups so lets praise this one...or can your moaning genes not allow that?:D

Backbarrel wrote:
    We give the NARGC grief for the cock ups so lets praise this one...or can your moaning genes not allow that?

I have good strong Moaning Genes...it's my Dutch ancestry.

I have good strong Moaning Genes...it's my Dutch ancestry.

Yeah...Dutch Gold :D

Yeah...Dutch Gold :D

Heineken...please;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 standard one

i heard that your dog is not insured if your dog does not have a dog licence has anybody heard this and is it true. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

i heard that your dog is not insured if your dog does not have a dog licence has anybody heard this and is it true. thanks

I've hard that & it's fair enough in my opinion, once people are told about it & it's not used as a get out clause if a claim is put in.

That's true...a dog license is a legal requirement as is a micro chip and it regestered to you......
    it's a farce really a good friend of mine when he purchased a dog licence in a post office in a small village in waterford was congratulated by the post master for having the only dog in the village. I've been visted three times in 5 years from the dog warden when I forgot to pay the license. Yet the ****er wouldn't walk 200 yards up the road to a fella with a shed full of unlicensed dogs.

So some of the Exec are doing a meet and greet in Cork tonight? I think it is Ballincollig ?

That should be interesting.. It would be nice to get feed back about how it went.

• Advertisement

Backbarrel wrote: »
    So some of the Exec are doing a meet and greet in Cork tonight? I think it is Ballincollig ?

That should be interesting.. It would be nice to get feed back about how it went.
    Checkout the other posts about County board affiliation...there was a couple of lads from Cork on it so they might be able to give feedback, i'm back in Kilworth back end of next week so will ask a lad I know what the crack is. Is it true they also have an invite from some clubs in Laois, heard that from a Lad in Athlone.

Executive meeting with Cork went very well seemingly. Feedback is very positive.

Gameshot is now out. Members seem very happy with it. Very determined to actually complete the bag return and send it off this year!!;)

Lads how much is the pheasant subsidy for clubs this year..? The reason I ask is I hear IFA are subbing pheasants to IFA registered clubs.

I see that Bird Flu info is now up on the NARGC Facebook page.

Backbarrel wrote:
    I see that Bird Flu info is now up on the NARGC Facebook page.

See that.......I believe there's birds dropping from the sky wheezing like **** all over the place. Heard of 1 found in Longford, 1 in Dublin a Yeti sighted and a UFO....seriously though has any of this being confirmed....now where is my Iodine tablets...🀔

Is there nothing that you won't take the pi$$ out of?:D

Backbarrel wrote: »
    Is there nothing that you won't take the pi$$ out of?:D

Until I hear a confirmed case in the wild bird population then its hear say..I already heard it said at the weekend that the decline in pheasant numbers is now probably caused by Bird flue:

to quote: "That bird flu has the pheasants wiped"

The Mink, the Pine Martin, The Buzzard, The fox, magpie and Grey Crow and the lazy PLUCKER who does no vermin control are all off the hook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

One of the local tools tells me we will soon have to apply for a licence to lamp foxes at night as an aid to counter deer poaching. Did anyone else hear anything about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

With the Super in my district, you would have two chances ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Avian Influenza (Precautionary Confinement of Birds) Regulations 2016,

Below whats relates to shooting in Q and A bit

Q1. Am I still able to go shooting?

• There are currently no restrictions in place for shoots, but this situation may change and you should monitor the Department’s website regularly for the most up to date information on avian influenza controls before going shooting.

• While out shooting if you observe any dead wild birds, in particular 3 or more of same species and 5 or more of multiple species other than common garden birds or pigeons, please report this to DAFM as soon as possible. The contact details for Department offices are available at: Department Local Offices or to the Department’s Avian Influenza helpline: Tel: 076 1064403). Information on high risk species of wild birds is available at: High Risk Wild Bird Species

Q2. How does compulsory housing affect game birds?

• Game birds that have already been released are classified as wild birds. Those people that release game birds are no longer classed as the ‘keeper’ of the birds once they have been released.

• Where the released game birds continue to be fed and watered this can continue though other wild birds should have had no contact with the feed and water. Commercial feed and fresh or treated water should only be used.

• If they remain in pens, contact with wild birds should be restricted, for example, through netting, roofing, etc., and the other above mentioned measures should be followed to keep wild and captive birds apart.

Advertisement