Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum wages question

Options
  • 03-05-2016 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Got offered a job, €22,000 a year salary, which works out to €423.08 a week. Its a 48 hour work week in the contract so that's €8.81 an hour. Minimum wage is €9.15, is this legal?

They say it will work out over the year because when its quiet you will work less and still get payed the same but that seems very vague and not something i can rely on. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How old are you, and how many years have you worked (anywhere) since you turned 18?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are you including any breaks such as lunch in the 48 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sackamano

im 28 and have worked for a good few of them since i turned 18, i am a chef so we don't really get breaks you eat as you go but maybe there are making food deductions from the wages that i haven't included, ill have to see. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Sackamano wrote: »
    im 28 and have worked for a good few of them since i turned 18, i am a chef so we don't really get breaks you eat as you go but maybe there are making food deductions form the wages that i haven't included, ill have to see. Thanks

I used to work in a kitchen, and it was the only one who did this, that employed a salary system rather than an hourly rate. Definitely insist on the latter as the former is open to fiddling and taking liberties by the employer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

A junior commi chef would get more than 22k for 48 hours, that's ridiculous and you shouldn't accept it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement