Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

open water swimming and prescription goggles

Options
  • 03-05-2016 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,
    My 12 year old is getting into Junior triathlon and will be hoping to do some open water swimming in the sea soon. He has prescription goggles for the pool as he's very far sighted (+6.5)but they're quite small and narrow.Does anyone know where we might get bigger mask type ones for open water that won't cost a small fortune?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

I use speedo vanquisher(they have a jnr model too I think) and find them good. Also aqua sphere have an eagle range they are bigger for better sighting in open water.
    I buy from amazon usually. With parcel motel or parcel wizard

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

I have pretty poor vision but dont use prescription goggles. I swim with contact lenses and normal goggles, would this work for him? it would take a lot of the hassle out of getting goggles. only once in about 6 years of o/w swimming have i had the lens wash out of my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Just to note the optics for the AquaSphere Eagle goggle only go -1.6 to -6.0. The goggles themselves are ~€30 and ~€15 per lens. You can change one or both of the lens to suit eyesight imbalance.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I'm near-sighted, and use these:

http://www.amazon.com/TYR-Corrective-Optical-Performance-Goggle/dp/B001MWRSAU

They are really good, but don't do far-sightedness.

In open water, there is not much that you can do or see really close to you, and it could be an advantage to be farsighted, when it comes to sighting off the horizon/trees/mountains.

give it a go with the ones that ye are currently using, you might find out that you don't need prescription lenses for the open water, so a normal mask/goggles might be fine.

Advertisement