Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geometry of the line question!

Options
  • 03-05-2016 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

This question's been bugging me for weeks. It's why I had to stop geometry of the line.

"Find the image of the point (-4,-5) under the axial symmetry in the line 3x+2y-4=0.

The answer at the back of the book is (8,3)

How do I get that answer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Need to find the equation of the line perpendicular to 3x+2y-4=0 through the point (-4,-5). Works out to be 2x-3y-7=0

When you get this you can find the point of intersection of the two lines. Works out to be (2,-1)

This is the point that you translate (-4,-5) through.

(-4,-5) → (2,-1) → (8,3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Top-notch explanation skippy. Now that you've solved that I'll be cheeky and ask another.

P(-1,5), Q(-2,1), R(3,-2) and S(a,b) are the four vertices of a parallelogram. with PQllRS (PQ is parallel to RS) Find two pairs of co-ordinates of the point S.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Okay so PQ is parallel to RS. If you draw a rough sketch of the 3 points you have you can imagine a point S that lies above R to the right....
    this involves finding the image of R under the translation Q to P.

Q(-2,1)→P(-1,5)
    R(3,-2)→S(4,2)

But you can also visualise a point S that lies below R and to the left...
    this involves finding the image of R under the translation P to Q.

P(-1,5)→Q(-2,1)
    R(3,-2)→S(2,-6)

Parallelogram.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

That makes perfect sense! The stupid book has

(4,2) and (6,-2) as the answer for some reason. I think they meant (2,-6) like you said, it's the only one that makes sense given the equation of the line is 4x-y-14=0.

Irish maths textbooks are so effing unreliable.

Advertisement