Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help building new gaming PC

Options
  • 03-05-2016 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

1. What is your budget? €600ish. I'm flexible, can spend more if it's worth my while, but happy to spend less if I'd still walk away with what I'm looking for.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming. Currently would like to play Fallout 4, Witcher 3, and XCOM 2, but I want something that in a few years would be able to play new single player games on low settings at a stable 30fps.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? 2x 1TB HDDs. 3R Systems R480 tower

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    1920x1080, no plans to upgrade.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes, especially if it saves me money vs more expensive parts, but I will need a guide to follow.

8. How can you pay? Visa debit or bank transfer.

9. When are you purchasing? Some time in the next 2 weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 6400 €170
    H170 €70
    R9 380 €200
    500w PSU €60
    8gb RAM €40
    250gb SSD €70
    Total €600

Will play anything at Med-High 60fps

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DDA Donn

Thanks! Where's the best places to buy parts these days?

Also, where does one go about buying windows for a home built PC? (I don't expect it to fit inside the €600 budget)

Mindfactory.de is pretty cheap

You can get it cheap on reddit, not saying it's legal though. Legit licence can be gotten from MS.

Drop the SSD if you need to free cash

Cheers. Is there an English language option hidden somewhere or do I just gotta struggle through the German?

German only, try Google chrome for the translate

• Advertisement

There's a lot of models under H170 and R9 380, how discerning between them do I need to be?

Also, I didn't mention it since I assumed I'd be needing more than 8gb of ram, but I already have 2x4GB DDR3 1333Hz, is it worth replacing them with something faster?

8gb RAM is perfect.

DDR3 won't fit in that board, you can get an i5 4460 and a Z97 board for similar money/performance and save having to sell the RAM you have.

Any Z97 board is grand

Go for a Sapphire 380 I guess, they're generally the most solid

Seems to be at least one H170 that takes DDR3: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/MSI-H170M-PRO-VDH-D3-Intel-H170-So-1151-Dual-Channel-DDR-mATX-Retail_1018205.html

Would I better off to take that and the 6400?

Some of them do but it's not great for your CPU

How so?

• Advertisement

Ouch, thanks for the warning.

Advertisement