Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail & Facebook hacked, recovery settings changed

• 03-05-2016 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

So my gmail account was compromised today. Phishing messages sent to all contacts with a reply address that is similar to original account. They also knocked me out of Facebook and used the new similar email address in its place. All recovery options have been removed and Google doesn't seem to want to help. I've filled in all the recovery information, 2-step etc but I keep getting denied.
    At my wits end. It seems particularly malicious and I really need to recover my account for work information. I am so worried about what else they have managed to gain access to.
    Tried to cancel Facebook account too.
    Has this ever happened anyone before? I have a really awful feeling. Been trying all day to fix it but nothing is working. I scan my laptop regularly for spyware. I don't know what this is. Feel like ditching it and getting a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

fatknacker wrote: »
    So my gmail account was compromised today. Phishing messages sent to all contacts with a reply address that is similar to original account. They also knocked me out of Facebook and used the new similar email address in its place. All recovery options have been removed and Google doesn't seem to want to help. I've filled in all the recovery information, 2-step etc but I keep getting denied.
    At my wits end. It seems particularly malicious and I really need to recover my account for work information. I am so worried about what else they have managed to gain access to.
    Tried to cancel Facebook account too.
    Has this ever happened anyone before? I have a really awful feeling. Been trying all day to fix it but nothing is working. I scan my laptop regularly for spyware. I don't know what this is. Feel like ditching it and getting a new one.

Before your gmail was compromised did you have 2fa on? If so I don't see how they got into your account? Also if you had it on and if someone had managed to get your password you would have been notified that someone was trying to log in due to the 2fa code getting sent to your mobile.

If you use the same password for multiple accounts the first thing you should do is change the passwords for all of those accounts. I hate to tell you OP but once someone gains access to your email they usually have access to all the services you signed up for as they could just request a password reset which will get sent to your email that they have access to and that is how they can log into all of your other online services you use.

Hard to tell from your post what is happening now. Are you still getting the 2fa code when you try to log in?

Advertisement