Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern v Atletico

Comments

Obviously disappointed with the result but you can't fault Atletico. They punch above their weight, their defensive structure and counter attack are amongst the very best in the world. My hate is reserved for the sport itself, that a team can waste the eye-watering amount of time that Atletico did in the first half and there are no negative consequences, that's a sport that is flawed. When a referee can give the kind of penalty decision that he did to Atletico in such a massive game, that's a sport with a flawed officiating process. You can't hate Atletico, they simply expose the flaws in how the game is managed. I think every fan has a pet hate in football, for some it's feigning injury, for some it's diving, for some it's crowding the referee, for me it's time wasting that I hate more than anything because it's something that seems to go entirely unpunished and entirely under the radar.

The good old honest blaugrana arent up to any tricks of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Obviously disappointed with the result but you can't fault Atletico. They punch above their weight, their defensive structure and counter attack are amongst the very best in the world. My hate is reserved for the sport itself, that a team can waste the eye-watering amount of time that Atletico did in the first half and there are no negative consequences, that's a sport that is flawed. When a referee can give the kind of penalty decision that he did to Atletico in such a massive game, that's a sport with a flawed officiating process. You can't hate Atletico, they simply expose the flaws in how the game is managed. I think every fan has a pet hate in football, for some it's feigning injury, for some it's diving, for some it's crowding the referee, for me it's time wasting that I hate more than anything because it's something that seems to go entirely unpunished and entirely under the radar.

Really frustrating to watch alright... i've rarely been more frustrated watching a game than the Porto Celtic Uefa Cup final years ago, when Mourinho's team were so utterly, blatantly cynical in everything they did, and faced no punishment. Really maddening.

I'm still all out hoping Atleti win the final none the less!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Is the Atleti hate like what we started to see with Leicester were people only cheer for the underdog until it looks like they stop being the underdog?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Not defending Guardiola/Bayern but if Atletico go on to win the Champions League then that's three times in a row Bayern will have lost in the semi's to the eventual winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

CSF wrote: »
    This tie was worthy of a final IMO. No shame in defeat for an excellent Bayern side. IMO put up more of a fight than Barca.

Barca put up plenty of fight as well. You got your fill of triumphalism in after that result, but you can't resist another dig at Barca can you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Time wasting certainly gets the same treatment as diving.

Gonna be some final, wouldn't bet against them overcoming Real (if thats who it is), getting every last drop from his players in fairness to Simeone. As I already said, the fitness, stamina levels of both teams tonight was incredible and I suppose you have to credit their managers for that also. Superb effort all round, dunno how a game like that could be classed boring.

Two missed penalties too! Dramatics all round :)

Simeone will be in trouble for slapping the official I would imagine but I think it would be harsh if he got a ban for it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Real are f*cked , UEFA won't want an all Spanish final.

You don't seriously think that UEFA call tomorrows ref into a room and tell him to give decisions against Madrid because they don't want an all Spanish final?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

One of the funny things I've noticed about football is that it's always the team that you don't want to win that timewaste.

Is the Atleti hate like what we started to see with Leicester were people only cheer for the underdog until it looks like they stop being the underdog?

No it's because they're masters at cheating. Everyone cheats a bit when necessary including Leicester but Atletico have it down to a tee.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    No it's because they're masters at cheating. Everyone cheats a bit when necessary including Leicester but Atletico have it down to a tee.

Can you stop replying to my posts please? It's getting weird.

• Advertisement

• MON is refreshingly honest on tv3 tonight

One of the funny things I've noticed about football is that it's always the team that you don't want to win that timewaste.

Apart from the goalkeeper deciding to sit down for a few mins, I didn't think Atletico were all that 'bad' when it came to time-wasting. Let's give them credit and say they've done a lot worse in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Weird that Atletico are considered an unappealing team to watch because they defend well. There was no hatchet job there this evening. They just did the simple things well and exposed the chances they knew Bayern would cough up. Whats wrong with that?

Give me that over Guardiolas ultra negative possession domination any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    MON is refreshingly honest on tv3 tonight

What he say?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

What he say?

Nothing insightful, just his usual drab self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

What he say?

He was pi**ed at the playacting by porto in uefa final but he couldnt say for definite he wouldnt do the same if celtic were in their position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Atletico were blessed. They have a great spirit in their team, but you need to be an Atletico fan to like them in my view. I doubt they'll win the final especially if it's against Real Madrid. They've used up all their luck I reckon.

It's more than luck to play how they do. People do not give this Atletico team half as much credit as they deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Rotten team to watch

Ya that quick counter and Griezmann's finish was horrible to watch alright. Niguez's goal in the first leg was pure sh1te too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No they are a horrible team.

niallo27 wrote: »
    No they are a horrible team.

Fair enough, I don't see it myself. Great defensive with the players to make the difference in the right areas of the pitch. Simeone's ability to get the best out of Torres once more is remarkable and trademark of the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ive seen Atletico go overboard in some games. But tonight they played very clean & countered superbly. Bringing on Carrasco was a key move by Simeone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Fair enough, I don't see it myself. Great defensive with the players to make the difference in the right areas of the pitch. Simeone's ability to get the best out of Torres once more is remarkable and trademark of the man.

Simeone is the equivilant of Suarez is management form.

Brilliant at his job, but a classless wa*ker :pac:

Simeone is the equivilant of Suarez is management form.

Brilliant at his job, but a classless wa*ker :pac:

Ah he's not so bad. Lost the rag at the end there, but honestly, what's the worst thing he's done in his time as a manager? Suarez on the other hand has a racism incident and 3 biting incidents, hard to compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Shtty comment. Bayern were very unlucky tonight, did everything against a team that are set up to defend and counter.

He is so tactically naieve, playing a high line against 2 forwards looking to nick possession. His 2 defenders were left 2 on 2 for the goal...suicidal.
    There was many instances where they overplayed the ball.

His barca side were torn apart by Bayern when his style was found out, his Bayern side torn apart by real and Barcelona and now knocked out by atletico. He took over the treble winners and on evidence of his time there they haven't improved at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Something that struck me a while ago watching a CL game, but was really hammered home tonight.... Why are the fifth officials behind the goals on the same side of the linesmen? Surely it makes sense for them to be on the other side?! The Torres penalty never gets given tonight if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Suarez is a well loved man by anyone who knows him
    He's a winner on the pitch,but a softly spoken gentleman off it.
    He rarely gets booked. His mistakes are far behind him.

Simone is the same dirty tricks artist he was as a player.

Can you stop replying to my posts please? It's getting weird.
    You've got form on here. I've seen you waltz into threads that have little or nothing to do with you, like the Celtic one and drop in little comments. You're triumphalism when Barcelona were put out was juvenile in the extreme. Now you want to appear mature when it suits you.

Some people don't happen to like your beloved "Atleti", because if they win playing and acting like that then it has a bad influence on others that may copy them. While admiring aspects of their play, there's nothing weird about not liking them.

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's more than luck to play how they do. People do not give this Atletico team half as much credit as they deserve.
    They were lucky tonight, got a couple of big decisions.

Ha, O'Neill thinks that's a penalty for Torres. Wtf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

People are being harsh on Guardiola. They did win the game 63% to 37% after all.

• What he say?

What ceegee said dude

rob316 wrote: »
    He is so tactically naieve, playing a high line against 2 forwards looking to nick possession. His 2 defenders were left 2 on 2 for the goal...suicidal.

His barca side were torn apart by Bayern when his style was found out, his Bayern side torn apart by real and Barcelona and now knocked out by atletico. He took over the treble winners and on evidence of his time there they haven't improved at all.

Think that's harsh. Atletico only had one real chance in the game and took it and the chance they got was offside. That and the penalty obviously but their penalty was outside the box as well and shouldn't have been given. With any luck Atletico used up all their luck tonight and will be beaten in the Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I never liked Guardiola and Atletico were robbed in the last final so I hope they win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think that's harsh. Atletico only had one real chance in the game and took it and the chance they got was offside. That and the penalty obviously but their penalty was outside the box as well and shouldn't have been given. With any luck Atletico used up all their luck tonight and will be beaten in the Final.

But it wasn't offside, so where does that fit into your narrative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I never liked Guardiola and Atletico were robbed in the last final so I hope they win it.

And if the final is another Madrid derby, why would anybody really want Real to win, apart from supporting them.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    But it wasn't offside, so where does that fit into your narrative?
    It was offside

It was offside

Tv says otherwise. Alabas foot was sticking out, but was level with Griezmann.

Tv says otherwise. Alabas foot was sticking out, but was level with Griezmann.
    I think they were lucky, more often than not that would be given offside.

I think they were lucky, more often than not that would be given offside.

Quite possibly. There was an inch in it at most, it was the right call though whether the linesman was 100% on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What we witnessed tonight and last week has been done before to a Pep Guardiola team. Jose Mourinho did the very same thing with Inter Milan as they went on to beat Barcelona in the semi-final and went on to win the Champion's league in 09/10.

• Advertisement

Quite possibly. There was an inch in it at most, it was the right call though whether the linesman was 100% on it.
    Don't think it was the right call. Which TV station are you talking about, I was watching TV3, the initial replay showed it offside. There was a later replay from a different angle and it looked more marginal.

Don't think it was the right call. Which TV station are you talking about, I was watching TV3, the initial replay showed it offside. There was a later replay from a different angle and it looked more marginal.

Tv3 too. They showed it on analysis with the line line of alabas foot, not one bit of griezmann was beyond that line. From the first replay I would've said offside too, but I also wouldn't care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

rob316 wrote: »

Er what? I've criticised pep a bit but he's not naive. Not in the slightest.

Three Bayern players in defensive midfield positions pressed for the ball when only two should have. One needed to stay back and see which way the ball would break. (Think this was Alonso?)
    It was a player error that Atletico exploited beautifully. Not a tactical one. Would you blame simeone for (of all people) Godin's gaff for Bayern's second goal. It's a match - individual mistakes will always happen. When systematic mistakes occur you can blame the manager.

Hard to blame either manager if they lost tonight. That was a thrilling contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The goal wasn't offside.

First time I've ever heard Guardiola being called tactically naive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

https://streamable.com/5iqn

Onside from that angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I personally think Pep has made Bayern go backwards and could be the case for a number of seasons until they finally get rid of the aftermath of his football.

Heynckes Bayern was unbelievable team, that team would destroy this current Bayern team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

people still debating onside vs offside after having all night to see various angles... don't think anyone can blame the referee's assistant for not flagging and allowing the benefit to the forward which the rules allow for.. think he was just just on myself for what it's worth but nobody should have any beef about that goal been given...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pep has lost 5 of 7 CL Semi finals with the best squads you can have

City is going to be a wake up call but he'll probably smash transfer records this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

monkey9 wrote: »
    And if the final is another Madrid derby, why would anybody really want Real to win, apart from supporting them.

A lot of man-u fans still have a hard on for ronaldo. I'd love to see Atletico win it

• Advertisement
Advertisement