Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thurles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Tara needs a total facelift. The floor plan is all higgeldy piggledy. The display area and counter could be revamped. If the internal half wall was knocked it would make a big difference.
    I haven't been in there for a few years but I remember having lunch there one Christmas eve with a family member and being very underwhelmed.
    What's going into the old Roly's Bistro?

Tenants going in there (The Tara) just seem to be interested in a short term project. It’s too big of a risk to plough a load of money into a rental property to have it fail in 12 weeks.
    Rolys Bistro? Is there signs of life?
    I know it’s been painted up but I thought that might be just the landlord trying to make it appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

The place on the corner across from Bowes pub.

is that the park avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

is that the park avenue

Oh yes sorry that was there too.
    It seems to have had a paint overhaul outside like it's getting ready for something.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

The place never had either a refit or even a good proper clean for years.
    It needs a complete refurbishment. I was assuming it would be closed for a few weeks?
    Is Kevin McKevitt finished in there so?[/quote

Would be a good idea to close for a month or so and give the place a good deep clean and total refit. And while closed send certain staff members to other stores for training for meat counter and bakery

The place never had either a refit or even a good proper clean for years.
    It needs a complete refurbishment. I was assuming it would be closed for a few weeks?
    Is Kevin McKevitt finished in there so?[/quote

Would be a good idea to close for a month or so and give the place a good deep clean and total refit. And while closed send certain staff members to other stores for training for meat counter and bakery

Some of the staff are totally institutionalized and couldn’t be trained in anything. I don’t think they’ll like being managed by SuperValue .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

splinter65 wrote: »
    Some of the staff are totally institutionalized and couldn’t be trained in anything. I don’t think they’ll like being managed by SuperValue .

I have high hopes for SuperValu.
    If it's like the one in Cashel- clean, local produce, friendly staff it'll be a winner.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Thats it most supervalus are great stores. Clean well run brillant meat and bakerys brillant to pop into for lunch on the go etc.. heres hoping the thurles one is turned to a proper one over the nexr couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I have high hopes for SuperValu.
    If it's like the one in Cashel- clean, local produce, friendly staff it'll be a winner.

Here's hoping. Friar St. badly needs a shot in the arm.

how is apache pizza doing

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

We've had a few takeaways from there..lovely pizzas with quick delivery, best pizzas in town in my opinion..
    No idea how well they are doing though..

• Advertisement

jooksavage wrote: »
    Here's hoping. Friar St. badly needs a shot in the arm.

Went in yesterday.
    Meh.
    Shop cleaned up generally but unpleasant smell at the butcher counter. Some SuperValue products but the place was deserted.
    Will give it a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭shmeee

Went in yesterday.
    Meh.
    Shop cleaned up generally but unpleasant smell at the butcher counter. Some SuperValue products but the place was deserted.
    Will give it a few weeks.

Meh?

You hardly expected it to transform overnight?

It is going to take months to be up to SuperValu standards, could even be next year when all the work is done. All fresh counters to be moved together over to where the Off Licence and Fruit and Veg is. Keep all fresh products together and then push ambient stock down to back of the shop.

Fresh paint applied outside last night is a start.

A whole new system for ordering / tills installed which will be a big change. Some difference between how they used to order stock compared to now with Musgraves, no room for late orders, mistakes etc. It’s black to white to be honest and will take time.

shmeee wrote: »
    Meh?

It is going to take months to be up to SuperValu standards, could even be next year when all the work is done. All fresh counters to be moved together over to where the Off Licence and Fruit and Veg is. Keep all fresh products together and then push ambient stock down to back of the shop.

A whole new system for ordering / tills installed which will be a big change. Some difference between how they used to order stock compared to now with Musgraves, no room for late orders, mistakes etc. It’s black to white to be honest and will take time.

I don't know why they didn't close for 2 months and relaunch with a new set up.

You only get one chance to make a first impression.

Meh?

Definitely would have been a better option to close altogether and get it all done and then have a grand reopening.
    I’m wishing the guy all the best and I did say it was cleaned up to a degree, but there’s obviously something wrong at the rear of the store on the left if you entered from Friar St. Its almost overpowering.
    I was surprised to see the outside being painted while this problem needs addressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ronald reagan

Good afternoon all,

Can anyone advise what transport options are available from thurles to kilkenny city?

Regards
    Ron

Good afternoon all,

Can anyone advise what transport options are available from thurles to kilkenny city?

Regards
    Ron
    I’m afraid if you don’t have the use of a car that it involves getting a train to Dublin and getting a connecting train to Kilkenny .
    3.5 hours traveling minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ronald reagan

I thought bernard kavanagh ran some kind of bus services.

3.5 hours is madness to be fair

I thought bernard kavanagh ran some kind of bus services.

3.5 hours is madness to be fair

Not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

There’s is or probably was a bus from Urlingford to Kilkenny. Thurles to Urlingford bus leaves at 12pm and 5:30pm each day. Excluding Sunday

There’s is or probably was a bus from Urlingford to Kilkenny. Thurles to Urlingford bus leaves at 12pm and 5:30pm each day. Excluding Sunday

Yeah but he needs to go to Kilkenny city.

• Advertisement

Yeah but he needs to go to Kilkenny city.

That’s where the bus in Urlingford went to. You’d get the Roscrea-Thurles-Urlingford bus and then on another bus from Urlingford to Kilkenny. Just checked the service was withdrawn unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KillMona

The bang off of Tesco's these days is unreal. Right there at the front entrance, before the convenience food area and beside the self service tills. Like mouldy clothes. I know that place has always had questionable hygiene standards but you'd think they'd give the place a deep clean every so often.

KillMona wrote: »
    The bang off of Tesco's these days is unreal. Right there at the front entrance, before the convenience food area and beside the self service tills. Like mouldy clothes. I know that place has always had questionable hygiene standards but you'd think they'd give the place a deep clean every so often.

Look up ^, there’s black mold on the ceiling tiles at the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭shmeee

KillMona wrote: »

A well known homeless man spends many a hour sitting there. Question answered.

Ah it’s not just Jimmy Mac that’s causing the smell. I was talking to the security guard inside the door during that bad storm we had in Q1 2014 and brown dirty water started to run out from the bottom of the party wall where the notice board is.

Ah it’s not just Jimmy Mac that’s causing the smell. I was talking to the security guard inside the door during that bad storm we had in Q1 2014 and brown dirty water started to run out from the bottom of the party wall where the notice board is.

Any update on what’s happening with Heatons? I believe it’s closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KillMona

Look up ^, there’s black mold on the ceiling tiles at the entrance.

Ah, that must be it so!

I know that man, and I wasn't taking aim at him. That smell exists regardless of whether he's there or not, but I'll enjoy the guilt trip nonetheless.

L&N- Lenny the prices watchdog :D
    That brings me back. Check out the dirt under the fridges ffs. McKevitt never cleaned under those freezers. I do miss the L&N. Luckily got a photo of it before it’s removed forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

L&N- Lenny the prices watchdog :D
    That brings me back. Check out the dirt under the fridges ffs. McKevitt never cleaned under those freezers. I do miss the L&N. Luckily got a photo of it before it’s removed forever.

Ha, the logo and the dog - that takes me back! When did Mckevitt take over from L&N?

• Advertisement

jooksavage wrote: »
    Ha, the logo and the dog - that takes me back! When did Mckevitt take over from L&N?

1995 Musgraves purchased it and sold McKevitt the store as it does to all franchisees. For about 4 years it was called L&N SuperValu.

Advertisement