Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thurles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Might take all the madness and double parking out of the square.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Might take all the madness and double parking out of the square.

hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's just moving the parking chaos to another part of town albeit a part that won't cause the chaos that goes on in the square.

It's just moving the parking chaos to another part of town albeit a part that won't cause the chaos that goes on in the square.

im not so sure.
    the car park at dunnes is prone to chaos as it is. add in clowns that double park and abandon cars anywhere and it will be a nightmare

I wasn't clear in my post but I was referring to parking around Davis Road, The Dehreen etc. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭EmmaH1997

Does anyone know of a driving instructor around town who does automatic driving lessons? I'd venture out of town too. It seems the instructors in thurles are all manual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

I'm not being smart Emma but learn to drive a manual..... its all mind over matter. You'll get there.

You're better off to learn manual. If you only learn auto and you do your test in an auto then you will only have a licence to drive auto whereas if you learn and do your test in a manual you'll have a licence for both.

There's a reason all instructors in Thurles teach manual.

I was in Elvery's in Dunnes over the weekend. Lovely setup but if feels like they have too much room and not enough stock. The staff seemed to be a bit all over the place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I was in Elvery's in Dunnes over the weekend. Lovely setup but if feels like they have too much room and not enough stock. The staff seemed to be a bit all over the place too.

That’s by design though. The one in Limerick Parkway is spread out too

Tom Barry seems to be stealing shoppers from all over the place including some who seemed to have resided in Tesco and Johnston’s over the years and even outsiders I know from as far afield as Toomevara/Latteragh/Nenagh area.
    Fair dues to the guy, he’s done an absolutely amazing transformation of that store and It’ll no doubt make that part of Friar Street very attractive for renting in the years to come. More than Thurles Town Council/Tipperary County Council have ever done to revitalise that street.

Thurles Shopping Centre/Lidl on Erin foods site (planning pending) and Friar Street will hopefully now move forward whilst Liberty Square will desperately try keep its monopoly, stranglehold on developments and lack of imagination.

• Advertisement

Totally agree about SuperValu, it's unreal the transformation. While it was being done, you could see the L&N logo in places inside. Shows you that McKevitts only covered up these things and didn't do a proper job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Great to hear one positive story about the town. One thing that stood out with the local election candidates is Peter Ryan mentioning a digital hub for the town aimed at commuters.. This type of thinking is what the town need They are a few of them around Ireland and are very successful. It's also a way of solving some of the broadband issues. The old water mill or the Munster hotel would be a good location for one

Great to hear one positive story about the town. One thing that stood out with the local election candidates is Peter Ryan mentioning a digital hub for the town aimed at commuters.. This type of thinking is what the town need They are a few of them around Ireland and are very successful. It's also a way of solving some of the broadband issues. The old water mill or the Munster hotel would be a good location for one

Broadband will already be sorted by the private sector, Eircom who have been blowing fibre throughout the town the past few weeks. We missed out on the Siro rolling out but the reason why Nenagh and Roscrea were included is due to already present infrastructure passing by for years (ESB telecoms). Clonmel is due to the larger population.

Bt Ireland and Virgin media are also here in Thurles so it’s balanced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

It maybe in the town a couple miles out the town is different story if you have the work from home option. I know if I lived in a close family members house I couldnt work from home if needed. Also these centres would have facilities for video conferencing etc reducing the need to be in a main office. More and more roles are becoming suited to this way of work
    Was listening to newstalk a few months ago and 2 examples of such hubs were listed one in Kerry and one in wexford. Both are very successful. Many small companies in Dub etc find it hard to get staff like graphic designers,tech support etc due to cost of living in cities.. these hubs are really beneficial to such companies. Employees in turn have more free time for families and to get involve in local clubs etc rather than stuck in car for hours a week commuting.

There was a yellow Transit van going around the town canvassing for Fine Gael playing rap music on the megaphone with the lyrics motherf****er b***h, few people burst out laughing at it.

what are they doing to the old fire station

There was some crowd at Semple Stadium yesterday evening. I work up the road from there and thought the traffic was going to be a nightmare but it wasn't an issue at all.
    what are they doing to the old fire station

From what I know, it's going to be the new HQ for the Civil Defence.

What's happening to the building that pr Reilly were in.its sold. Rumour has it that one of the tire companies is moving in there

What's happening to the building that pr Reilly were in.its sold. Rumour has it that one of the tire companies is moving in there

Even though it's right opposite my home place I haven't a clue what's happening with it. I did hear that about a tyre place alright but I don't know how true it is. Can't see Lyons, Advance or any of them going in there to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Even though it's right opposite my home place I haven't a clue what's happening with it. I did hear that about a tyre place alright but I don't know how true it is. Can't see Lyons, Advance or any of them going in there to be honest.

Advance won’t be moving anyway as they own the place they’re in and have just converted it to their area training centre.
    Did anyone hear anything about the 2 kids knocked off a bike in templetuothy ?

• Advertisement

i cant either. only person i could see is martin shanahan

I doubt Martin Shanahan would, his house is right next door!

I doubt Martin Shanahan would, his house is right next door!

yes but he has to be suffering a big with butler and young setting up . how much business did they bring with them.

i cant see another tire comany starting up

I heard recently that the reason P.R Reilly left the building was due to the high cost of planning permission for change of use or something like that. The owner didn’t want to pay it. Apparently they were there rent free too.

I heard recently that the reason P.R Reilly left the building was due to the high cost of planning permission for change of use or something like that. The owner didn’t want to pay it. Apparently they were there rent free too.

And they had very few people in the door. Any time I was in there I was the only customer and they never had anything I wanted in stock so I'd have to order it. When I would arrive in to get it a few days later I was told they couldn't get it or they forgot to order it.

I doubt they were there rent free. Youngs Opel bought it in the early 00's and still own it as far as I know and I can't see them letting anyone in there (especially the likes of PR Reilly) for no rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Henry Young sold it to the Cummins in Rahelty, bought for stupid money....

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Going to have a few hours to kill in Thurles on a once a week basis thinking of heading to the swimming pool in the leisure centre,
    looking for any feedback on it - in particular

What are the changing rooms like? Communal or private? (will be in semi formal work gear)

What are the showers like and is there a single sex area where you can shower properly after without the togs ? (will be getting back into the work gear and then work)

frankz wrote: »
    Going to have a few hours to kill in Thurles on a once a week basis thinking of heading to the swimming pool in the leisure centre,
    looking for any feedback on it - in particular

What are the changing rooms like? Communal or private? (will be in semi formal work gear)

What are the showers like and is there a single sex area where you can shower properly after without the togs ? (will be getting back into the work gear and then work)

are you driving or public transport. if your driving on the m8 i would go out to the horse and jockey.
    walking i would go to the anner hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

are you driving or public transport. if your driving on the m8 i would go out to the horse and jockey.
    walking i would go to the anner hotel

Thanks for that, doesn't read well - is your recommendation (to go elsewhere) based in general or in relation to the questions I asked.

• Advertisement

frankz wrote: »
    Thanks for that, doesn't read well - is your recommendation (to go elsewhere) based in general or in relation to the questions I asked.

more in general.
    a hotel will have to keep everything right . the public set is more likely to atract the wrong clientel
    the hotels would have better parking and other facilities like food etc
    if your walking though its a lot farther to walk to the anner than to the public pool.

Advertisement