Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thurles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

tastyt wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply

Big statement about the people there though

Not really. I have personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

504434.PNG

Christmas Eve 2016 Jimmy McInerney. You'd miss him around the town, same with poor Francie Mcguire fighting with the staff at Tesco and telling people to f**k off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

He's in the Hospital of the Assumption now along with his brother Terry. When he was in bother the summer before last he was brought to Clonmel then transferred to here. I saw a picture somewhere of him after a few weeks of being there and he looks healthier than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

He's in the Hospital of the Assumption now along with his brother Terry. When he was in bother the summer before last he was brought to Clonmel then transferred to here. I saw a picture somewhere of him after a few weeks of being there and he looks healthier than ever.

I remember hearing that he had got into difficulty during that heatwave the summer before last. Amazing that that man survived so many cold winters and then it was the heat that eventually got too much for him. He always looked like he wore loads of layers and probably never changed for the heat. Great to hear he is doing alright.

Yeah he always had loads of layers on him which made him look hefty but in reality he's actually quite thin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 CorBlimey!

Does anyone find a couple of the employees in Lidl in Thurles particularly rude?

I've been pretty taken aback over the behaviour of two younger members of staff.

Between chatting and laughing on headsets and outrightly ignoring confused customers, to one lad who doesn't even say hello/ goodbye or meet your eye and almost always leaves my money on the counter when my hand is outstretched to receive it. I have seen him treat other customers like this also.

Really, really strange behaviour. That said I have no issue with any of the other staff, they are always very friendly, polite and efficient. Which I could pretty much say about every Aldi and Lidl I've been in. That's why it's so staggering and odd. I don't know how they're getting away with it without any complaints to management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Perhaps leaving the change on the counter is safer these days?

CorBlimey! wrote: »
    Does anyone find a couple of the employees in Lidl in Thurles particularly rude?

I've been pretty taken aback over the behaviour of two younger members of staff.

Between chatting and laughing on headsets and outrightly ignoring confused customers, to one lad who doesn't even say hello/ goodbye or meet your eye and almost always leaves my money on the counter when my hand is outstretched to receive it. I have seen him treat other customers like this also.

Really, really strange behaviour. That said I have no issue with any of the other staff, they are always very friendly, polite and efficient. Which I could pretty much say about every Aldi and Lidl I've been in. That's why it's so staggering and odd. I don't know how they're getting away with it without any complaints to management.

The thing about Lidl and Aldi is that customer service is not really what they’re about. The message is, if it’s not on the shelf then we haven’t got it, or if you can’t see it then you’re going to have to look for it yourself.
    In saying that, if I felt I had been disrespected then I would complain.
    I wouldn’t hand you your change either at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CorBlimey!

Well I worked for Lidl myself a couple of years ago, and certainly we would have been taken to task for their behaviour.

Customer service is definitely valued in Lidl. I just really don't get it, considering how decent the other staff are I wouldn't think it's an issue with management.

The change on the counter thing is not new. The laughing and chatting on the headset has been going on for a year and half! Anyway, sure look. It is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

definetly not new behaviour. its the main thing i hate about lidl.
    i have regularly seen cashiers talking on the head set to each other and ignoring the customer. in english and other languages , locals and foreigners both do it. i have seen them completely ignore customers and not say a word bar cash or card. they regularly continue to put items through even though the previous customer is still there and in the way of the curent customer.

• Advertisement

That’s all Lidl stores from experience. When it first opened on the 5th June 2002 (I remember dates too well) the staff were all Irish and British. That English lady from Poundsworth (Davis) worked there. After Poland’s accession to the EU in 2004 all the Irish felt it was beneath them to work in Lidl and for years it was all Polish staff.

Anyone witness the vandalism at the source last night? Wheelie bins set alight in the underground car park. The timber fascia also caught fire. The video I saw showed flames billowing out of a doorway on the river side. From what I heard today that car park is a known place for drug dealing/taking also.

Anyone witness the vandalism at the source last night? Wheelie bins set alight in the underground car park. The timber fascia also caught fire. The video I saw showed flames billowing out of a doorway on the river side. From what I heard today that car park is a known place for drug dealing/taking also.

Yes it is. So is the town park and mall. Recently had to improvise and make a litter grabber myself up the mall. I picked up 4 syringe and burnt them in a biscuit tin down the end of the walkway. What’s funny is I’d probably have been the one prosecuted if caught. 3 Thurles Garda cars were redeployed to elsewhere in the country on Thursday. Including the 141-D-25606 Ford Mondeo which is now in Limerick City I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I must say that the new post office is really nice.
    Clean, spacious and well laid out.
    It must be a great imporvment for the staff since the last place.

Talking to a Garda earlier. 3 more Garda cars were taken from the Thurles district and in return a Mercedes Sprinter van allocated.

I’d imagine if Thurles district hospital was still open, ventilators and PPE would be taken away from us.

Next it’ll be the ambulances and skeleton emergency services staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

I wonder where this current crisis leaves the planned developments in the town? Would be sad to see the business park and Lidl put on the back burner aswell as the new estate in Loughtagalla.

Also , it’s going to be very tough for all the businesses that have shut down in town to come back, cafes , restaurants and pubs especially.

No harm losing a couple of pubs as I think the town has too many anyway but we definitely need the restaurants and cafes to be supported if and when they get back up and running

See some idiot circulated a couple of photos of the Gardaí outside Hayses Hotel and claimed that people had been caught inside drinking. It was shared 100s of times. Hayses have had to go on Facebook to point out that it’s fake news and ask people to report the post.

141-D-25606 is back in Thurles. I have seen the photo on Twitter and it's that particular Mondeo in the photo featured. Livery was changed on this car in 2018 so the photo was taken sometime in the past year and 6 months. from the angle it looks like someone above Healthy Haven. Photo on Twitter, a Garda is shining a torch in window.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

141-D-25606 is back in Thurles. I have seen the photo on Twitter and it's that particular Mondeo in the photo featured. Livery was changed on this car in 2018 so the photo was taken sometime in the past year and 6 months. from the angle it looks like someone above Healthy Haven. Photo on Twitter, a Garda is shining a torch in window.

don't know anything about garda cars.
    what does that sign say about the mart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

So your saying the photo is an old one?

• Advertisement

Oops! wrote: »
    So your saying the photo is an old one?

I’m saying I can’t determine if it is unfortunately. By the Road Policing livery I know it’s a fairly recent photo and the Mondeo was out patrolling the town the night it allegedly happened. I guess we’ll have to wait for prosecutions to happen to get to the truth here.

Feel sorry for AGS when this Mondeo hits the 300km mileage limit, then it has to be withdrawn. It’s been in Thurles since it entered service with AGS in 2014. It’s the 2.2ltr 197bhp diesel. Those Hyundai’s have been nothing but trouble for them here in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

A rumour went round the town last night the the much loved character Patrick Leahy “Peewee” had died , but there’s no confirmation of that. Stories of himself and his precious mother in their boutique “Madame Mauras” in Westgate have taken on legendary status over the years in particular the Sale sign that reportedly read “Knickers Down Nows your Chance”!
    In actual fact he was impeccably mannered and quite knowledgable on a wide range of subjects if you took the time to get to know him.

splinter65 wrote: »
    A rumour went round the town last night the the much loved character Patrick Leahy “Peewee” had died , but there’s no confirmation of that. Stories of himself and his precious mother in their boutique “Madame Mauras” in Westgate have taken on legendary status over the years in particular the Sale sign that reportedly read “Knickers Down Nows your Chance”!
    In actual fact he was impeccably mannered and quite knowledgable on a wide range of subjects if you took the time to get to know him.

Impeccably mannered till he had a few drinks in him more like....

Impeccably mannered till he had a few drinks in him more like....

That’s true all right. He could be a bit savage and drew a lot of bother on himself when he was drunk.

TippFM reporting

It’s understood Tipperary Gardaí were called to break up a number of gatherings over the Easter weekend – including one in a bar.

26 i'm told in the bar....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

26 i'm told in the bar....

General direction?

To thine own self be true

Middle of the square!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Middle of the square!

Selfish pr*cks

To thine own self be true

Advertisement