Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A good, budget grinder

• 03-05-2016 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a grinder for a while and I can't seem to make up my mind on which one to go for. Looking for one that will switch between grinds (espresso, V60, cafetiere) fairly easily without too much fiddling around, but can't really find anything that isn't crazy expensive. Been looking at the Baratza Virtuoso longingly for a while, but €300 seems quite high (and I can't find anyone in Ireland that stocks them!). Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 upsideireland

I've used a Dualit 75015 (~€95) at home for a few years, it's fine for the price but obviously not perfect! Out of the box it can give you a pretty passable V60 or cafetiere, and maybe *just about* a basic domestic espresso grind.

The Baratza Encore (~€175) is decent for the price, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I've used a Dualit 75015 (~€95) at home for a few years, it's fine for the price but obviously not perfect! Out of the box it can give you a pretty passable V60 or cafetiere, and maybe *just about* a basic domestic espresso grind.

The Baratza Encore (~€175) is decent for the price, too.

The Encore is a fantastic grinder for filter but it's not really suited for espresso.

TBH, to get a grinder that will handle espresso your really looking at €200+.

I've read good reviews of the Sage Smart grinder but have never used it myself.

I think it's in & around €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 upsideireland

Agree with you 100%! But by basic domestic espresso I mean something cheap with a pressurized portafilter, set at high group pressure from the factory that can take a relatively coarse grind.

You're absolutely right that the Sage Smart is a safe bet for espresso, have used it with the Sage dual boiler and can knock out a decent shot with it. Haven't used it for filter though..

The Encore is a fantastic grinder for filter but it's not really suited for espresso.

TBH, to get a grinder that will handle espresso your really looking at €200+.

I think it's in & around €250.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Would you consider slumming it with a `De'Longhi KG79 ( E45 - E60 ) ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7AwZ11TrWA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

0lddog wrote: »
    Would you consider slumming it with a `De'Longhi KG79 ( E45 - E60 ) ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7AwZ11TrWA

I've used one of these for awhile for espresso with some ghetto modification to allow it to grind that fine. Tbh it works great for what it is. I'm starting to wonder recently about what I'm missing out on with a better grinder and thinking of upgrading, but I've been using for 2 years daily for espresso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I think it's in & around 250.
    I have one, whouldn't recommend it for espresso really .Than again, it just not good for my Rancilio Silvia, might be alright for others.
    I had to instal shim kit ( Sage posted it to me free of charge )in order to get fine grinds, it is improved my espresso a lot, but not for all beans , some beans ( to be honest, only cheap stuff from local stores ( M&S Columbian etc) or Decaf beans still too coarse even at the finest settings .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

alec76 wrote: »
    I have one, whouldn't recommend it for espresso really .Than again, it just not good for my Rancilio Silvia, might be alright for others.
    I had to instal shim kit ( Sage posted it to me free of charge )in order to get fine grinds, it is improved my espresso a lot, but not for all beans , some beans ( to be honest, only cheap stuff from local stores ( M&S Columbian etc) or Decaf beans still too coarse even at the finest settings .
    Yeah, it is a stepped grinder, with realistically only around 10 steps in the espresso range, so if espresso is the only coffee drink of choice, then I'd imagine the Baratza Encore might be a better buy. But if like me, you're regularly switching between coffee machinery (aeropress, etc.) and willing to compromise on the espresso a little, it's very well suited. I've gone back to using the pressurised basket in the Gaggia classic, so it's easy enough to get pretty good results (never did manage to get great results with the bottomless portafilter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I've used the Graef CM800 for 18 months now without complaint. Its a stepped grinder with 20 steps and I use it only for espresso and am happy enough. For €130 you can't go wrong, gets excellent reviews on Amazon for the price.
    http://www.amazon.de/Graef-CM800-Kaffeem%C3%BChle-CM-800/dp/B00CS2DAEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462913570&sr=8-1&keywords=graef+cm+800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭ArcticFox

My Rancilio Rocky review is here. Still going strong to this day.....used multiple times a day

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95516118

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

There's one for sale on Adverts if anyone is interested: http://www.adverts.ie/small-kitchen-appliances/rancilio-sylvia-and-rocky-doserless-grinder/10658073

Not sure if seller would sell grinder separately but worth a look for anyone in the market for that grinder. Rancilio Sylvia's are often listed for €350 when I spot them on Adverts/DoneDeal so list price of €200 can probably be assumed for the grinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 dillonmr

I'd go for a good hand grinder over electric. Hand grinders offer better grind quality for lower costs and generally allow for stepless settings quickly without a lot of retention. I have a Compak e10 Conic myself that I use everyday for espresso which is a high end commercial machine. I also have a Feldgrind hand grinder from 'made by knock' (£90.00 - £100.00) that I use in work and also travelling for Aeropress and pourovers. I've also used the Feldgrind when trying new beans for espresso as it saves on lost grind through retention (even though the e10 doesn't retain much). Both are Conical burr grinders and the fact is they are both able to achieve excellent results on par with each other. You might think £100 is a lot for a hand grinder but it will give you the results of a high end commercial grinder at a fraction of the cost. To give you a idea I grind a 18g dose for Aeropress in about 30secs, its very easy and couldn't be considered hard work. Also great to have a grinder you can travel with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

dillonmr wrote: »
    Both are Conical burr grinders and the fact is they are both able to achieve excellent results on par with each other.

I was on a lookout for an electric grinder for espresso, leaning towards the Mignon (love its small size), but still not fully convinced, mostly due to retention (There are days I drink no coffee at all). A quality hand grinder is really all I need, but I didn't know there were any on par with decent electrical counterparts. Having never heard of Feldgrind before reading your comment, I did some research, found more positive reviews and so I took the plunge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Did you order directly from made by knock?

I did some reading of my own based on your post and might go down that route now too!

Not sure my little De longhi is up to much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

No, from dear green coffee, hoping for a more reliable customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

And a bag of coffee to boot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

I have a Hausgrind as my travel companion and it comes everywhere with me along with a clever coffee dripper. Serious bit of kit, ordered direct from Peter in Knock. Also use one of his knock boxes for the espresso machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sage by Heston Blumenthal (Smart Grinder Pro) dropped to 99 GBP on Amazon a couple of days ago, might be worth checking if it drops to that price again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Sage by Heston Blumenthal (Smart Grinder Pro) dropped to 99 GBP on Amazon a couple of days ago, might be worth checking if it drops to that price again

Yeah, I picked it up, with free Irish delivery too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

infacteh wrote: »
    Yeah, I picked it up, with free Irish delivery too:D
    Gutted that I missed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I have the Sage smart grinder Pro for about 2 years (has twice as many grind settings as non Pro version). I usually use it for Aeropress/Chemex, but grinds plenty fine enough for espresso for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement